Page 79 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189 ... LastLast
Results 1,951 to 1,975 of 2460

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Where is Aaron now? Can you ask him?
    I haven't talked to him since I was around 12 or so; I could look him up; but it would be kind of weird to look him up just to ask him about that figure; he may have even forgotten all about it; but maybe he didn't?

This figure is certainly intriguing. I never saw one in person before; I do remember those words from my friend though; they stick out like a sore thumb; I never even remembered those words/gave those words much thought until this thread came about and I read it a few years back; right when I read up about this figure, that childhood memory clicked in my head. Too bad I never asked him back then where he got it or I never saw anyone else with one; I would have remembered; I have a very good memory.

When I first saw this thread and the figure online years back, I just assumed it was a wonderbread mail order and people knew about it but after reading more and more, theory after theory, and no real concrete evidence..........I'm not sure where this figure came from. One thing is for sure, I do believe this figure to be real; I believe in this figure and that conversation when I was a little kid definitely is the main reason.

but do you have a chance of reaching him? This would be so cool

Quote Originally Posted by metalhead4life View Post
    I haven't talked to him since I was around 12 or so; I could look him up; but it would be kind of weird to look him up just to ask him about that figure; he may have even forgotten all about it; but maybe he didn't?
    I think it is worth a shot. I keep saying that if I had gotten any figure through the mail or any special offer, I would remember exactly how that happened. Even if he was a regular issue (doubtful), I would remember where I got mine just because he was different from everyone else's. But there has never been one turn up on a card (at this point, I would assume it was fake.)
    I knew a kid who always seemed to have every figure about a month before anyone else did. I'll try to get in touch with him too.

Heroic Warrior
    Maybe some employee who decided to make them just for kicks
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

The baggie David and I have is still sitting in the collection. When we bought it I had hoped it would answer all the questions on this toy's origins. It didn't.

I don't think its Wonder Bread, that's just the name that became associated with it. Alex's site was the first to report it as a WB He-Man.

Personally, I think it was a small production run in He-Man's early days to promote the line within Mattel.

Nonetheless, its a cool figure to have in a collection.

Canadian 3-packs hunter bObA_fEtt_Ox's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren View Post
    The baggie David and I have is still sitting in the collection. When we bought it I had hoped it would answer all the questions on this toy's origins. It didn't.

I don't think its Wonder Bread, that's just the name that became associated with it. Alex's site was the first to report it as a WB He-Man.

Personally, I think it was a small production run in He-Man's early days to promote the line within Mattel.

Nonetheless, its a cool figure to have in a collection.
    it s weird there is still so mystery around this figure.
    I agree with Darren, it s a pretty cool figure to have in his collection, cause the wonderbread is the origin of he-man.
    $$$$$ WANT TO BUY, HIGHTEST PRICES OFFERED $$$$$

>>>>> CA Heroic warriors He-man/Teela/Ramman 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> CA Evil Warriors Skeletor/Faker/Beastman 3-pack <<<<<
    >>>>> US Evil horde Hordak/Leech/Mantenna 3-pack <<<<<

$$$$$ Email:bObA_fEtt1979@hotmail.com $$$$$

Widget

My small input on this subject

Hi all .orgers

I have been collecting MOTU since I was a kid and as an adult since 1999.Originaly I am from Canada but now reside in America.
    So as a kid,I got all my toys in Canada.Around 1984 in the newspaper they had a contest/drawing for kids that could make you win a free He man figure.They did not mention what you would get but my dad tough I would like to enter it and what the hell,all you had to do was color a he man picture.
    So maybe 4 or 5 weeks later guess what? I got a free he man figure.
    I remenber this well because it was the very first piece of mail I had ever gotten.
    Well it came was in a white box with a sticker that had been pre printed with my adress.Ok now for the figure,it was not the wb/savage he man,but rather a standard battle damage He man.And I remenber really liking playing with him.

My point here is that indeed matel did have mail-away box and toys.Of course I have nothing to back what I just wrote other than my personal memories, but I will say that I realy believe that Matel did have mail away offers so maybe this back up some of the facts that are outhere over the "mysterious" he man toy.

Just wanted to share this with all you guys on the boards.
    Also if any Canadian remenber this promotion please pm me or post here.

Hey djdanytoys.

Thanks for the account.

It's not that the possibility of a mail-away is out of the question.
    What's been shot down is that this figure is from Wonder Bread, and the manner of how it was shipped and what actually came with the figure has been up for debate for a decade as no hard proof has surfaced in that regard.

It's quite possible it was a prize, or give-away, or promotional device, etc, of some sort.
    But the details remain a mystery.

I just stumbled across this on evilbay....
    Item 150566957273

*** Please don't post links to active eBay auctions in the Discussion forum. Thanks! ***
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=185599

Find me on Facebook!
    http://www.facebook.com/?ref=logo#!/...00003950889698

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Always interesting when you see someone label an aucton like this and the bids go this high.

I would be more inclined to bid up an auction if the seller had no special listing announcing the figure as WB. This is blatant misuse.

I do love that this thread is still going strong and yet we have really made no progress after so many years.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

the colour scheme in savage he-man is pretty unique
    That and the details on the savage he-man are pretty refined. Could be my imagination, but they all seem a bit more crisp. Could have something to do with their early release.

And that gap in the shorts is a dead giveaway.
    Good Trader List:
    -Maul, tattoojunkie74, Chuck Bowlz

Quote Originally Posted by mahuti View Post
    That and the details on the savage he-man are pretty refined. Could be my imagination, but they all seem a bit more crisp. Could have something to do with their early release.

And that gap in the shorts is a dead giveaway.
    you are not the first one to say this.

Man, i so want to know the truth about this figure !

I too don't necessarily think this figure was a mail-in, but I do think I could be a legit figure...maybe that was a mistake, or test run, or something.
    If it were a mail-in...in my mind, they'd all have the chest armor and same weapons.
    At MATTYCOLLECTOR.com, 'ALL SALES ARE FINAL'...UNLESS it's in THEIR ADVANTAGE to not be...

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I'd forgotten about Gmkalos and the "Wonder Bread name" incident. I guess it was a bigger deal for him. I still don't understand Gmkalos's issue with calling the figure "Savage He-Man", there's no official name for the figure and calling it "Savage He-Man" helps to minimize the potential misunderstandings that "Wonder Bread He-Man" brings. {Especially since no one has found any evidence to indicate that Wonder Bread was ever apart of a MOTU figure give-away} If Gmkalos wants to call the figure "Mail Order He-Man" instead of "Savage" more power to him as it isn't a loaded name like the Wonder Bread monicker is.

I think Gmkalos may be misrepresenting the information that researchers have posted here on the Org about Savage He-Man. I don't believe anyone here at the Org ever said that Savage He-Man was never bagged; only that at the time there wasn't enough evidence to indicate whether the then known bagged examples of the figure were in the original bag or one used later.

I'm fairly certain that everyone agrees that figure was at least packaged in a bag -- the figure certainly wouldn't have been shipped/given out unpackaged.

I don't think Savage He-man ever came with the chest armor -- and if Gmkalos's bagged figure is truly untouched within the bag then this seems to be the case.

The red/maroon weapons are another issue -- I can see where Mattel would want to include some accessories but as SH isn't He-Man proper then they wouldn't want to give him a Power Sword and He-Man shield. Easy enough to use existing molds in a different color plastic and provide the character with a few weapons and a shield. The hitch with known Savage He-Man figures with bags is that the bags weren't heat sealed completely. Perhaps SH came with the same accesories included with Man-E-Weapons, but with the bag open on one end some could have easily slipped out over time.

Here's a thought -- Mattel would have wanted to get their money's worth if they did a run to make accessories for Savage He-Man. Perhaps Mattel ran off more maroon weapons than were needed for the total number of SHs, with a thought to include them with a future figure or playset. Maybe the decision makers had Man-E-Faces in mind from the start or it was simply luck of the draw that he was bundled with the extra accessories.

Was Man-E-Weapons part of a re-release wave or was he an option to buy Man-E-Faces when he was originally released in 1983? Either way it could help provide a window of time for when Savage He-Man was given/sent out.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; April 14, 2011 at 07:00pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    I'm fairly certain that everyone agrees that figure was at least packaged in a bag -- the figure certainly wouldn't have been shipped/given out unpackaged.
    Actually, no. We're not sure of it being bagged, sad to say.

We can't say either way because we're not sure how it came.
    It could have come in a padded mailer as a newspaper survery/contest item.
    It could have been in a bag or loose in a box of figures as an in-store promo.
    Maybe they gave them out in nondescript brown boxes at Mattel outlets.
    Anything is possible at this point.

I'd love to know for certain that this item came the way Darren's figure was depicted. But we simply do not know.

All we know is the figure in its most basic form is real.
    But what accessories it came with, if any,
    how it was packaged, if it was,
    how it was offered, etc,
    are all unknown and/or unverified.

There's lots of speculation and speculation is fun! But we can't let speculation become fact. So until hard proof surfaces, it will remain just that: speculation.

We've been working on a feature for a while that tells the online history of this figure.
    It will talk about it's first appearance that started the Wonder Bread speculation, Darren's bagged purchase that started the bagged speculation, Man-E-Weapons and the red weapons, working with Mattel and what was discovered, etc.
    It'll be fun.

So, is this figure a myth?, or do these figures really do exist?. I have heard mixed opinions on this.

It's definitely real.
    At least the bare-chested, accessory-less component anyway.
    Where it came from, how it was shipped, and if it came with anything at all are the big mysteries.

Many collectors have one (sometimes multiples) in their collections.
    Quite a few have turned up on eBay, especially in loose lots, over the years.
    It's rare, but not super rare as once thought. Tytus, Megator, the laser figures and tower tools, cliff climber and scubattack are far rarer. Possibly even Rotar and Twistoid as well.

But beware of fakes/customs on eBay.
    Many a fan have been duped by trickery over the past decade.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    It's definitely real.
    At least the bare-chested, accessory-less component anyway.
    Where it came from, how it was shipped, and if it came with anything at all are the big mysteries.

Many collectors have one (sometimes multiples) in their collections.
    Quite a few have turned up on eBay, especially in loose lots, over the years.
    It's rare, but not super rare as once thought. Tytus, Megator, the laser figures and tower tools, cliff climber and scubattack are far rarer. Possibly even Rotar and Twistoid as well.

But beware of fakes/customs on eBay.
    Many a fan have been duped by trickery over the past decade.
    Thanks for the advice. I will keep my eyes open for one, I would like to have one for my vintage collection.

I am just happy to have my MOTUC version. Its actually one of my favorite figures. Not sure why exactly... I just love it though. Its just a cool looking figure.
    Guess that's not really pertinent to this topic though...but I just wanted to say it anyway.

Feedback Thread:

Find me on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dar View Post
    So, is this figure a myth?, or do these figures really do exist?. I have heard mixed opinions on this.
    There can only be opinions on this, unless someone really knows the truth and never shared it with the public.

You can always read the whole thread (like i did lol) or take the easy way:

I love jiidee's accent.

He's done a pretty thorough job and presents many of the facts as we know them for you to draw your own conclusions.

And heed his warning about bootlegs!

The above videos are definitely worth a watch! They are a good recap to help educate fans about this figure.

And we'll be having a feature (that I mentioned earlier) in a few months presenting everything as we know it, which will elaborate further on a few of the things jiidee talks about.

Chronically Groovy Mighty Puundragon's Avatar
    I still don't understand how no one knows the origin of this. There are people in there late 30s and early 40s on this site and no one truly remembers. I was in Kindergarten when MOTU first came out so I was old enough to get all the MOTU stuff but not old enough to seek out an early mail order.

All the early GI Joe, Star Wars, and Transformers mail-aways and freebees are well documented. I just don't under stand why no one has any knowledge of this or even a stray order form.

Has anyone suggested that this was a "Free with Purchase" Exclusive?

As kids, my cousin and I had just about every MOTU figure and playset and we never knew about the existence of “Savage He-Man.” It’s possible it was some sort of promotion that was region specific. I remember as a child that there were numerous toy mail-away promos on the back of various cereal boxes, but I cannot specifically remember the toys featured. Most mail-away toy origins are easy to identify as the evidence still exists (for example: Transformers G1 Camshaft, Star Wars Emperor Palpatine, and G.I.Joe Super Trooper). I’ve been following this thread for years and would love to see the mystery solved. Perhaps one day we will know the truth.
    Snarf...

Quote Originally Posted by Mighty Puundragon View Post
    I still don't understand how no one knows the origin of this. There are people in there late 30s and early 40s on this site and no one truly remembers. I was in Kindergarten when MOTU first came out so I was old enough to get all the MOTU stuff but not old enough to seek out an early mail order.

All the early GI Joe, Star Wars, and Transformers mail-aways and freebees are well documented. I just don't under stand why no one has any knowledge of this or even a stray order form.

Has anyone suggested that this was a "Free with Purchase" Exclusive?
    It seems like this figure may be some sort of "Custom" Figure that one person decided to create and spread throughout the MOTU market, slowly, so no one could remember. I find it hard to believe that with all the billions of webpages, and billions of Gigabytes of information that nothing can be found on the origin of this figure.

Come on guys! How many of us have boxes and boxes of us as children at Christmas and birthday's always posing with our new toys. I know one thing i enjoy most is looking thru old photos from my parents and trying to find all the He-man figues, star wars, thundercats, m.a.s.k,...etc in the photos and try to find and buy them

So, isn't it kind of odd none of us have any pictures of us as kids with our new savage He-man figures. I figure at least one person has an old photo showing you playing with it(i'm talking about the He-man!) or if you've never thought of this go get those old photos and do some research.

Sad to say i'm going with the group who believes this is just a great custom figure. I would love to have one and would pay $50-75 dollars but $300+ is just out of the question.