Page 28 of 98 FirstFirst ... 1826272829303878 ... LastLast

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Go for it Leeloo. If not you, then who else?

Quote Originally Posted by Midwinter
    Couldn't this just be some kind of Mexican variant.
    Yeah, maybe something put out by Lili Ledy?
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar
    Go for it Leeloo. If not you, then who else?

Yeah, maybe something put out by Lili Ledy?
    I even thinking more low budget than that. Because at least you can track the Lili Ledy Star Wars figs, this would be some kind of cheap as cheap can get variant. One that didn't even come from a certain company, but was just tossed out on the market for somebody to make some quick cash after making their own molds from the USA figures that were already out.
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Pursue Pursue!!!!!!
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I love the Wb story and that no one could remember where these little devils came from. It is really funny that everyone has one but completely mind wiped about the orgin. I say pursue the truth if you have a lead. It can't hurt anyone and if you solve the answers that so many look for you'd be a hero to all WB owners and for those who think he is a hoax then there will be truth.
    Oh well whatever never mind.

Val, did you hear anything back from Lee's AFN after they published your letter?

Nope.
    I wasn't even sure they had received my e-mail.
    I only learned it was printed after I got that one angry e-mail from a collector who had paid big bucks, or was an angry scalper (not sure which).

I have no idea what they printed, exactly, or what they said about the letter.
    Or if they even took it to heart.

Now I see ToyFare is mentioning it. Not sure who the fan/collector was who sent them the info, though... the collector owned EIGHT dark haired He-Mans? Anyway...

I contacted Juan today, the editor of the ToyFare price guide and a friend of mine. Maybe we can team up with ToyFare to get this mystery solved.
    It would be nice to once and for all say exactly what this figure is and where it came from.

I still really like the suggested Nestle's Quick idea.
    I was talking to Emiliano about it.
    It would be so easy to have a NQ He-Man that was a repaint with no weapons or accessories.
    Give him brown hair like chocolate syrup, and a ultra dark blue / black belt and boots like the NQ logo.
    But I forgot who suggested that idea. And, of course, we have no info to support such a mail-away from NQ.
    I just thought the idea was neat and made sense.

Gah!
    This figure is the biggest thorn in one's side.

If it is a NQ He-Man, it's too bad they didn't spritz him with a bit of chocolate smell.

Oh and I'd so want him to be re-dubbed "Chocolate Chunk He-Man" if anything comes of this NQ theory.

LOL
    It's just a random theory of many, at this point.
    Anyone want to call Nestle's? See if you can track down some info?
    See if that may have happened there?
    Basically, you'd need to see if there is someone or a department that keeps tracks of promotions, and if they'd have records for promotions done 20 years ago.
    Then take it from there.

We need paper evidence and/or a real packaged figure.
    Ugh... this makes me feel for you, Darren.
    All that money dropped, and we're still not sure of it's origins.
    Were there any dates on that coupon that was in the baggie?
    It's just suspicious he was in basically a sandwich baggie.

It really amazes me that it is so hard to find the orgin of a figure. But I do hope there is a light at the end of the hall and the hall is getting to an end. Good luck boys.

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone

If someone can provide me with a good/clear picture of "Wonder Bread" He-Man (front and back), along with all the known markings, I'll start doing some investigating on the side. I've never tried to look into this mystery, but I'll be unrelenting in my search if you guys want.

brianatarms: You previously mentioned that you had this He-Man as a child, right? What year would you say it was that you got him?

Just the following info:

Back and head is copyrighted with MATTEL 1981 and the back has MATTEL 1981 TAIWAN. The advertisement has 1982.

The baggie figure. I called the seller of the auction and asked his some questions. He said he always had it. The seller is still reputable on ebay. His feedback is over 1800 now. He told me his wife obtained the figure from a Mail-Away promotion. He had had for about 10 years stored with his other MOTU stuff. His son never played with the stuff.

I remember my friend winning a Two-Bad from Nestle. No WB. The offer was 1985 I think because I was in the 2nd Grade. Here are the pics from my collection again.

Personally, I don't think the figure is a clever repaint. Too many have turned up from Mom & Pop auctions back in the late 90s. I would be skeptical about all the toys now but not then.

OK, I'll digress now and let the Wonderbread He-Man? Thread talk.

Anywhooo, here are the pics.

V/R
    Darren
    Last edited by Darren; October 10, 2005 at 01:14pm.

Darren, did you pull that ad out of the package (not sure if the baggie is sealed) or find a spare?

Out of the bag. The bag is only sealed with a single piece of scoth-tape.

Well, I live in Nestle central. At some point in my vacation (next week) I plan on making a few phone calls. It should be relatively easy to get to talk to someone from Nestle as long as I'm not severely disrupting someone's workday and they don't count me as a crazy person.

I have to call Nestle anyway to track down this person my mom claims still works there.
    Leeloomina´ Lekatariba Lamina-Tcha´ Ekbat De Sebat

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Darren
    Just the following info:

Back and head is copyrighted with MATTEL 1981 and the back has MATTEL 1981 TAIWAN. The advertisement has 1982.

The baggie figure. I called the seller of the auction and asked his some questions. He said he always had it. The seller is still reputable on ebay. His feedback is over 1800 now. He told me his wife obtained the figure from a Mail-Away promotion. He had had for about 10 years stored with his other MOTU stuff. His son never played with the stuff.

I remember my friend winning a Two-Bad from Nestle. No WB. The offer was 1985 I think because I was in the 2nd Grade. Here are the pics from my collection again.

Personally, I don't think the figure is a clever repaint. Too many have turned up from Mom & Pop auctions back in the late 90s. I would be skeptical about all the toys now but not then.

OK, I'll digress now and let the Wonderbread He-Man? Thread talk.

Anywhooo, here are the pics.

V/R
    Darren
    i too can believe the nestle quik idea if only for the fact that they did many other promotions like the gobots promotion. cant wait till this is all figured out so the figure came with the promotional coupon for another figure?
    Last edited by galaxy warrior; October 10, 2005 at 05:24pm.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

That is amazing that you have the send away card. I wish my WB was in as good shape as yours Darren.

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone

Well, thing is, Darren nor us know if that's actually how that figure came.
    The card in the bag isn't actually tied to WonderBread in any way, shape, or form, let alone the figure inside.

It's really odd the figure would come with a mail-away form to get a free figure.
    That doesn't make any sense.
    And it also depicts Man-E-Faces for MOTU.

All he has to go by is what this seller is telling him.
    Worse yet, it's based on what the seller's wife is telling the seller, which in turn, is being told to Darren.
    Heck, who knows where it really came from, or how it was really packaged.
    The seller's wife could have put the items in a baggie for storage a long time ago, or got it a flea market, etc.

So, unfortunately, Darren's fig didn't clear up any mysteries.
    And we so hoped it would back when he got it.

Hi

Hey, on the promotion paper, it's write: MATTEL "1982"
    I have always thinking that it was distribued in 1984
    What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3

It's really odd the figure would come with a mail-away form to get a free figure.
    That doesn't make any sense.
    And it also depicts Man-E-Faces for MOTU.
    I agree with the fact that why would a mail-away figure come wiht a mail-away form???

But the Man-E-Faces point is void because the form says. "Free toy selected by Mattel at random from appropriate category."
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Defender of the Elders Red Trinity's Avatar
    I've said this before, and I'm saying it again. I got my brown-haired He-Man from a dollar store back in the 80s. There was an entire bin full of them; they all had various different brown weapons. I don't remember which one mine came with because I had Man-E-Weapons too, and they all got mixed together.

I knew nothing about any mail-away offer. If there was one in the plastic bag with him it was long since thrown away and forgotten.

I assume the dollar store bought out the leftover stock from either Mattel directly, or whoever actually commissioned this figure for the promotion.

That's the only information I have, but I wanted to contribute it.

Now, I was really young when I was into He-man, but I too remember free He-man figs through promotions. However, the one I remember, or atleast unless I'm a dolt, was through Bubble Yum. From what I remember, if you got a piece of gum that had a pink, or orange wrapper, you won a free toy. I remember getting Clawful in the mail. Does anyone else remember this promotion? Maybe this is where the elusive figure came from? Just a thought...

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    i can completely believe the dollar store buy outs. that makes total sense. i know of a few dollar stores that sell toyfare multipleman figures. maybe even an oddjob or a cheap johns.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Regarding the dollar-store bin-

Tangential and circumstantial, but from the same era and a competing brand-

I know that the Reflector mail-away figure/set was DEFINITELY made available in baggies at normal retail late in the game. I believe also so for the Omnibots in smaller quantities. Pretty sure I've heard of the GIJoe mail-away vehicle drivers getting the same treatment.

So, it was pretty common (and certainly sensible) practice back in the day (and more recently). Still doesn't clear up the original mystery though

D/L

Quote Originally Posted by Red Trinity
    I've said this before, and I'm saying it again. I got my brown-haired He-Man from a dollar store back in the 80s. There was an entire bin full of them; they all had various different brown weapons. I don't remember which one mine came with because I had Man-E-Weapons too, and they all got mixed together.
    Do you remember the name of the Dollar store?
    Not that it matters, since those guys don't keep much of any records... they just buy lots of stuff for cheap.
    But I'm just curious.

You know, we didn't have dollar stores in my area until about 10 years ago?
    I'm not saying I don't believe it, I'm just saying I thought that was a relatively new trend! Shows you how behind on the times my hometown is.
    Please check out my gallery on Deviantart
    And here's hoping for the return of Power-Con!

That discount store theory (or story...whatever you wanna call it) sounds pretty reasonable to me. The same thing happened with Jem after the toy line tanked. - The dolls started showing up in Dollar Stores, and often times they were a mismatch of parts from various characters. One particular Jem site shows "baggie" dolls of male characters on female bodies.