Page 37 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2735363738394787 ... LastLast

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

answer

so, after 5 or 6 years of discussion we figured some facts:

in favour:

- wonder-bread he-man has been found in suposedly "innocent owners" lots
    - the figures considered authentic all look the same, the paint is the same, and that kind of paint is not for sale (at least in regular shops)
    - The painting in the trousers are unique

against:

- No one can remember where it came from
    - Some people remember mailing it away from a company no one remembers the name of.
    - My english is awfull
    - Even mattel employees are not relyable as they confirmed in the "ohh i remember this figure, this is waht we used to call as the wonder-bread he-man"

So, we got 3 in favour, agaisnt 4 agaisnt, whats the conclusion? Am i missing any points? Real or Fake?

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    so, after 5 or 6 years of discussion we figured some facts:

in favour:

- wonder-bread he-man has been found in suposedly "innocent owners" lots
    - the figures considered authentic all look the same, the paint is the same, and that kind of paint is not for sale (at least in regular shops)
    - The painting in the trousers are unique

against:

- No one can remember where it came from
    - Some people remember mailing it away from a company no one remembers the name of.
    - My english is awfull
    - Even mattel employees are not relyable as they confirmed in the "ohh i remember this figure, this is waht we used to call as the wonder-bread he-man"

So, we got 3 in favour, agaisnt 4 agaisnt, whats the conclusion? Am i missing any points? Real or Fake?

its confusing as hell.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

The mighty iron gates of Mattel Co.

I finally talked in person today to the lady who works in Mattel archives dept. She basically told me that anyone who may have any kind of paper trail of this figure's existence is not at liberty to give it to me. She told me it's 'Mattel property' and that basically I have "gone as far as I can go." So it appears that I have hit the iron gates of the mighty Mattel Co.
    If anyone is ever going to solve this mystery it's going to be someone who has substantial inside connections to the company. So if anyone does, it would be awesome to use your clout to get this thing solved once and for all.
    Until then, this thread is just going to continue to be a never ending merry-go-round of vague recollections and fuzzy memories.....

wow, thanks for trying though, my friend
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Warlord of the Elders Dr. Omega's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    is not at liberty to give it to me. She told me it's 'Mattel property' and that basically I have "gone as far as I can go."
    Wow. This raises Mattel to a whole new level of A*****ishness behavior..

God forbid we might learn the great mystery of the 20+ year old toy promotion! If anyone found out that information, the terrorists would win!

yeesh..

Dr. Ω

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Omega View Post
    Wow. This raises Mattel to a whole new level of A*****ishness behavior..

God forbid we might learn the great mystery of the 20+ year old toy promotion! If anyone found out that information, the terrorists would win!

yeesh..

Dr. Ω
    Yeah, Osama might open a toy factory with which to make and laundry money for his terrorist jihad.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    I finally talked in person today to the lady who works in Mattel archives dept. She basically told me that anyone who may have any kind of paper trail of this figure's existence is not at liberty to give it to me. She told me it's 'Mattel property' and that basically I have "gone as far as I can go."
    excellent work and perservance my friend...!!! i hate to say i told ya so, so i won't...

my personal take on this is the same as it has always been, the silence is enforced via the settlement of the Conan lawsuit...legally Mattel cannot say anything about it, it would get them into big, big trouble to do so...to even leak information in an unofficial capacity would put them in jeopardy, these big companies are not stupid and they are deffinately legally "jumpy" to say the least...

i would still like to see whatever public records that would be available for this lawsuit...there may be SOME mention of something that might be vaguely associable with Savage/wonderbread He-Man...obviously, the final settlement was sealed so if it says anything about these figures or the allowed distribution channels we aren't going to know...

can we try and set some hard dates to build a time line...???

need the dates for:

Mattel dev of MOTU
    MOTU figures released
    Mattel and Conan properties deal signed
    Mattel and Conan properties lawsuit
    Conan movie filming dates
    Conan movie premier

i like the idea they were a factory change or whatever, so essentially they are misprints...Mattel sat on them or were trying to dump them via promotion and/or outlet/discount stores...Conan got wind of it and/or the lawsuit happened and the final fate of Savage He-Man was decided in the court settlement...Mattel was probably allowed to liquidate them at rock bottom prices, but not to promote or otherwise draw attention to them because of the resemblance to Conan...that's the best theory i can come up with that fits what little we have...

Heroic Warrior
    Conan movie filming dates (around 1980 ?)
    Conan movie premier (1982)
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Wow - you did a lot of great research Trev-Or, it's a shame you weren't able to get any further specifics after all the work you [and others] put into this.

At least you found out that Mattel does know something about this particular figure, despite hitting a wall that prevented them from telling you anything more about "Wonderbread He-Man".

The thought occured to me that while further direct questioning about "Wonderbread He-Man" will likely meet the same wall - perhaps an appropriately staged shotgun approach may meet with some small level of success. Something like this scenario:

Via a letter from an older adult [parent/grand-parent of child who played with original He-Man] asking Mattel for information on a few He-Man figures the letter writer found while cleaning out the attic,spare room, etc. and is seeking more information on them before passing the figures along/selling them.

The letter would of course include pictures of "Wonderbread" He-man, a few other MOTU figures, maybe a vehicle, and perhaps even an imitation/bootleg figure thrown into the mix. Or some other mix of Wonderbread He-Man and other MOTU and/or MOTU copycat figures.

All this done with the hope that whomever is working in Mattel's archives department that day slips up and accidently includes information on "Wonderbread" He-Man. No telling if it'd work though...

Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew View Post
    excellent work and perservance my friend...!!! i hate to say i told ya so, so i won't...

my personal take on this is the same as it has always been, the silence is enforced via the settlement of the Conan lawsuit...legally Mattel cannot say anything about it, it would get them into big, big trouble to do so
    This makes sense.. although I don't think they would get into big, big trouble over a 20 year old lawsuit..

But admiting He-man started from Conan might open them up to get sued again..

I can't think of any other reason why they would be so secretive about it, although I would never have pegged this figure to have had anything to do with Conan..

Dr. Ω

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    Wow - you did a lot of great research Trev-Or, it's a shame you weren't able to get any further specifics after all the work you [and others] put into this.

At least you found out that Mattel does know something about this particular figure, despite hitting a wall that prevented them from telling you anything more about "Wonderbread He-Man".

The thought occured to me that while further direct questioning about "Wonderbread He-Man" will likely meet the same wall - perhaps an appropriately staged shotgun approach may meet with some small level of success. Something like this scenario:

Via a letter from an older adult [parent/grand-parent of child who played with original He-Man] asking Mattel for information on a few He-Man figures the letter writer found while cleaning out the attic,spare room, etc. and is seeking more information on them before passing the figures along/selling them.

The letter would of course include pictures of "Wonderbread" He-man, a few other MOTU figures, maybe a vehicle, and perhaps even an imitation/bootleg figure thrown into the mix. Or some other mix of Wonderbread He-Man and other MOTU and/or MOTU copycat figures.

All this done with the hope that whomever is working in Mattel's archives department that day slips up and accidently includes information on "Wonderbread" He-Man. No telling if it'd work though...
    All ideas are welcomed at this point. It really feels like we are at ground zero doesn't it? It's pretty amazing actually. If we do do anything like this I would want to wait a while-otherwise I think they would smell our deviant plan a mile away. Wow, either no one at Mattel knows a thing about this figure (which is still a good possibility) or they really have made it a point to keep it on the DL. Whichever one it is who knows. I like Skeletoncrew's plan to try and gather some more info on the Conan possibilty. If anyone wants to contact Conan properties here's their 411:

Conan Properties International
    8484 Wilshire Boulevard, Suite 870
    Beverly Hills, CA 90211
    Phone: (323) 655-1700

Another thing that should be followed up on is contacting all the Mattel stores that are on that web-site provided by that link posted a page or two back and just see if we can get ANY info.
    I'm going to LA in a couple of weeks so I might do a little snoopin around. Let me know if anyone has any suggestions.

Trev-or thanks for all your work. It does make a differnece to some extent. thanks

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone

i've read through out some old posts, and read about WB having a date under the head and along the back? how's that possible? If so, WB has a unique mold eh?

can any1 post a picutre of this copyright?

i've read through out some old posts, and read about WB having a date under the head and along the back? how's that possible? If so, WB has a unique mold eh?
    no, it is not unique...it is the Taiwan marks if memory serves...

Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew View Post
    no, it is not unique...it is the Taiwan marks if memory serves...
    yeah but under the head??? i never seen that, the least i'v seen was at the end of the back, near the arse

Grrr.....Mattel

The more I learn about Mattel, the more frustrated I get.... I recently watched the commentary for the movie "Employee of the Month", and the director stated that Mattel wouldn't give them the rights to use a Ken doll (Barbie) in the movie...I hope something changes over there eventually, they are such tightwads :-(

yeah but under the head??? i never seen that, the least i'v seen was at the end of the back, near the arse
    yeah, under the head...i've seen it plenty of times in regular fodder figs(i've ripped off plenty of heads in my day)...some say tiawan and some numbers under there...

adress

i just realised something, and this must had cross someone else's mind, but i'll throw it in anyway. Buy 3 Get 1 FREE panflet, it has an adress on the back:

BUY THREE OFFER
    P.O. BOX 3573
    City Of Industry CA 91744

yeah, its a PO box but, there must be records of the owner of that po box, maybe a name of the company who rented it. I dont really know how PO boxes work, but my idea is that, someone registers it at the post offices and that someone has to fill in pappers, so, anyone working in the mail area of california? does anyone know someone who worked there?

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    youre under the impression that the coupon is linked to the figure. thats not the case. even if the coupon came with said figure (which i wont stand by) it wouldnt be the coupon that lead to the purchese of said figure. so following any lead from there would lead no where.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

all leads bring you back to here! nowhere!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone

Quote Originally Posted by Gilgamesh View Post
    Some new WB He-man info:

First off I would like to thank the Fowlers for sending me scans of the insert to their WB He-man. Thanks guys!

I have asked several barbie collectors and I have gotten back several different answers. Nothing really important. But they are still looking because the insert I showed them seems to have popped up several questions for them as well. What I did find out is that the insert's address belongs to mattel. The PO Box address given is still in use by mattel whenever they do give aways. It's belongs to a mattel distribution/warehouse. That is all for now but the barbie collectors are still looking. And I'm still trying to solve this mystery in my spare time.

Gilgamesh found that this address did belong to Mattel back in '03, but everyone who has skepticism about this flyer is absolutely right. It's simply not enough to base your investigation on....it would be sweet if it was though

I think it's fairly certain that if Mattel gave you the answer they did, Trev-Or, that there is a legal issue at hand. That leads us to believe that this Savage He-Man was a Conan figure that Mattel made - and probably had to change into He-Man when they ran into legal trouble.

I remember someone saying that Arnold Schwarzenneger (spelled wrong - sorry) saw a He-man figure at a convention once - a LONG time ago - where he was making an appearance as Conan -- and he freaked and said it was the Conan figure.

While it's true they are similar, why freak out, unless there had already been an issue? He's not a nut job. I don't think. Yet, this is all speculation.

Mattel probably tried to get rid of them as best they could and in order to do so, did it illegally, OR did it legally and was required to never speak of or do it again after a certain date.

weird.. but that's the toy business!
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

The fact that they WON'T talk about it implies they definitely know what it is.

It's been a long time, but didn't they borrow the Fowler's figure and said they couldn't come up with anything conclusive?

Short of someone who works at Mattel leaking the information, I don't think we will ever know for sure.

Dr. Ω

are there any more of those flyers? If there aren't, then it can only be a lie, it is impossible that no one remembers the dam figure, or had found another one sealed. There was this guy selling a WB on ebay, AFA graded, in fact the figure posed in AFA's homepage for several weeks or so... the guy said he found the figure sealed in bag and opened himself, anyone knows this guy? Or any information related to his finding? Cuz i'm starting to believe WB is a very well done AFA creation.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    well your right to question the legitness of the wb piece. i believe that most figures floatinga round are fakes and there are more fakes then real. the taped closed baggie isnt proof for me anyone can do it. and the coupon ill print one out right now seriously no ground is ever going to be made. if for the sole reason that there isnt some great story behind it. its just a factory miscommunication early on that mattel got rid of at the end for near to nothing.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/