Page 38 of 99 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888 ... LastLast

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

I'd LOVE to see this "mystery" resolved as much as anyone. And I'd love for the solution to be something cool.

However, logically:

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    I think it's fairly certain that if Mattel gave you the answer they did, Trev-Or, that there is a legal issue at hand.

Mattel probably tried to get rid of them as best they could and in order to do so, did it illegally, OR did it legally and was required to never speak of or do it again after a certain date.
    I think if WB He-Man WERE some kind of lost relic of the white-washed Conan-Connection, and they NEEDED to ditch them, they probably would have ended up in a landfill.

If anything it's more likely that:

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    if for the sole reason that there isnt some great story behind it. its just a factory miscommunication early on that mattel got rid of at the end for near to nothing.
    Even if the would-be Conan-connection does have something to do with this, once that fell through (if it ever existed) the brown-haired run went from new-product status to factory-error status. Probably no legal issue, probably no gag-orders, just an unimportant footnote that got mailed out to letter writers and dumped on close-out buyers.

I REALLY doubt it's a conspiracy. The folks that were AT Mattel and INVOLVED probably don't remember or care, and I'm sure no one currently at Mattel does.

Did Roger Sweet say anything in his Q&A panel? If anyone would have had a clue, it would have been him.

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

-The Scarecrow, The Marvelous Land of Oz.

Not only does it apply nicely to Masters, but is probably a deep truth.

Powers of Preternia Podcast Video Series
    http://www.youtube.com/user/destrong...s?feature=mhum

Heroic Warrior
    The thing is, probably no one outside someone who posts here would care.

Wow, look at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300093352794

Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    The thing is, probably no one outside someone who posts here would care.

Wow, look at this: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=300093352794
    Awww I wished he'd tried to scam us, then we could have at least pretended that this auction had solved the great mystery

D/L
    "I am convinced that the only people worthy of consideration in this world are the unusual ones. For the common folks are like the leaves of a tree, and live and die unnoticed."

Heroic Warrior

that one on ebay

that last one on ebay that somebody had carded and put the weapons pack armor on completely looked like a forgery...

hey that is a good idea, somebody should start a thread of wonder bread forgeries! That way we might know what to look for better

adam

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stuecketor View Post
    that last one on ebay that somebody had carded and put the weapons pack armor on completely looked like a forgery...

hey that is a good idea, somebody should start a thread of wonder bread forgeries! That way we might know what to look for better

adam
    the carded one wasnt intended to be real.. at least the carded part. but the figures are so easy to fake carding them with reissue cards and even the spain promo cards are pretty common since people want all figs carded

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by DestrongerLupus View Post
    I'd LOVE to see this "mystery" resolved as much as anyone. And I'd love for the solution to be something cool.
    However, logically:
    i know you are trying to apply achems-razor to this mystery, but unfortunately with legal matters, which we know has SOMETHING to do with it, logic and the simplest explanation don't always go hand and hand...

i suspect the world may never know...

but, at this point we have to go back to square one and TRULY determine if this figure is legit, it is EASY to fake...to convince me we have to chemically test the paint from a "legit" piece and original figures...a wide sample and see if it matches what would have been used by the factories at that time...then we can tell if it is even real with some kind of certainity...

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    but the figures are so easy to fake
    Quote Originally Posted by stuecketor View Post
    here is an example of how you tell a good fake from a bad one...this one looks JUST like a "real" savage/wb he-man should look...minus the accessories of course on which a consensus has not been reached though wb he-man is most often associated with man-e-weapons weps, the black zodac armor and gun...

Heroic Warrior
    Dunno how much these links are worth or if they've ever been posted, but:

http://heman.3wpages.com/biographies...nderBread.html

http://www.toyarchive.com/HemanWonderbread.html

Nah, we already know and have investigated/debated all of that.
    It's all in this thread.
    Be sure to read through the thread. I know it's a lot, but a ton of stuff has already been covered.

I still think that the fact that Mattel just won't say, "Oh, it was a factory error that was made into a promo" -- or -- "It was a promotional thing" means that there is SOME kind of legal gag order. They can't talk about. So something weird is up with it.

The one the Fowler Brothers have looks different than ANY of the others I have seen pics of. The head looks different, and maybe it's just the photo or my monitor, but the hair is more red-brown than the other images.
    A Want List of Sorts: Angella, Sssqueeze, Blast Attack, Multi-Bot, Peekablue, Veena, Calix, Evilseed, Mara, Point Dread & The Talon Fighter... and all the other POP & NA characters.

wb

was wonder-bread ever found outside USA?

Heroic Warrior
    Perhaps you find this useful. Here this guy is selling a catalog where you can see WB He Man with the rest of the MOTU figures.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-27148254-_JM

Nah, that's the article from Lee's toy magazine a few years ago.
    That's the same info we've all been tossing around for years. Lee's had no idea if that was accurate or not when the printed it.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkan View Post
    Perhaps you find this useful. Here this guy is selling a catalog where you can see WB He Man with the rest of the MOTU figures.

http://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar/MLA-27148254-_JM
    I think that's a homemade catalog.

Quote Originally Posted by He-bro View Post
    I think that's a homemade catalog.
    That catalog looks like it could be a lee's toy review

Well at least something cool came out of bugging the heck out of Mattel about WB He-Man. The other day I received an e-mail from a Mattel employee wanting to put together a group of collectors called the 'Mattel Toy Geek Council' to "discuss product and possibilities." He said that he received a file with my information in it regarding the He-Man/Wonderbread offer when he was assigned to work on collector product.
    The coolest part though is that he said that in the near future he is planning on putting out a story in Toy Fare about the 'Wonderbread/He-Man offer' and said he could probably use some help . He wondered what types of MOTU toys I would be interested in, "Articulated versions of NECA statues? A new scale? New figures based on characters from the 2002 show? (Count Marzzo, King Grayskull ect…?). What would you like to see if we could keep making Masters product?" So definitely let me know if you guys have any cool ideas you want to get out there.

Wow! That sounds cool. I would love to see an "official" article addressing the true origins of the old savage. "Mattel Toy Geek Council", heh!?! That's funny. However, if it wasn't for the "toy geeks" that love & support this line so much, Mattel's last revamp would have been an even bigger financial disappointment, and there would never have been a market for a staction line. It seemed that most children could have cared less about the latest He-Man toy line. I would love to see Mattel launch a new line of vintage style figures. Hell they could even continue the commemorative series for all I care. How about a special commemorative mail in premium "WB He-Man" reissue! I personally think that the classic style figures could flourish again. If nothing else the fans...err "toy geeks" would buy them. Can't wait to see that article!

when is that article comming out?

Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    He wondered what types of MOTU toys I would be interested in, "Articulated versions of NECA statues? A new scale? New figures based on characters from the 2002 show? (Count Marzzo, King Grayskull ect…?). What would you like to see if we could keep making Masters product?" So definitely let me know if you guys have any cool ideas you want to get out there.
    I think the brightest future for MOTU might live somewhere between the styles of vintage and 200X. Detailed sculpting, generous paint ops, but at the same time, simpler, durable, highly playable, possibly even modular designs and construction. I think the person best hitting the right "look" is Bootleg, who's designs can be seen here:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=145024

That's the MOTU toyline I would love to see on store shelves.
    D/L

DestrongerLupus, thanks for the input! I will definitely be sure to relay your ideas along.

I haven't been in contact with this Mattel employee in quite some time so I will try and reach him the next couple of days. I'll let those interested know what he tells me about the Toy Fare article on WB He-Man. It should be interesting to see what insights a mattel employee scrounges up on this figure...

Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    DestrongerLupus, thanks for the input! I will definitely be sure to relay your ideas along.

I haven't been in contact with this Mattel employee in quite some time so I will try and reach him the next couple of days. I'll let those interested know what he tells me about the Toy Fare article on WB He-Man. It should be interesting to see what insights a mattel employee scrounges up on this figure...
    Can he be trusted, or is he pulling your chain????
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

I hope this lead gets us somewhere.
    Who would win in a fight between He-Man and Wonderbread He-Man?

well well well, if it aint the 5 year ol'wonder bread he-man thread.

In fact, this is one of those mysterys i can't make my piece with. I even draw my conclusions on The Zodiac Killer, but can't get to a comom sense when it comes to WB heman

Hey Trev-or any new news?
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    Has anyone tried to contact WonderBread for some info? They must have some kind of corporate office or archive dpartment somewhere. Someone with more time on their hands than me should get on that.........

Luck is for losers GK Version 1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    well well well, if it aint the 5 year ol'wonder bread he-man thread.
    I always feel so nostalgic when I see this thread bumped