Page 40 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3038394041425090 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 2460

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    this figure came with the magic of amnesia and we all seem to have it here at the org, cause no one remembers were it came from.
    True enough. And the honest truth is we can't trust our memories, especially those from our youth which was so long ago.

I'll give you an example.
    A few days ago, we were having a conversation here in the studio about the Jim Hensen hour.
    Unless I had evidence otherwise, I would have bet money that the show started with Jim Hensen in a gazebo, in a cloud-like surrounding, with a big gold lion at his feet.

Turned out, I was wrong. It was a white lion, and the clouds were all in my head.

There's a lot of suggestive ideas on the plate right now.
    And it's easy to recall this being a mail-away if others suggest the same thing.
    It may have been. But at this point, we need actual physical evidence.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    And it's easy to recall this being a mail-away if others suggest the same thing.
    Val's absolutely correct and even if someone were to write on this thread EXACTLY what actually went down, at the end of the day it's useless.
    The only way this is going to be solved is if Mattel is able to surface some form of a document with the figures info.
    Maybe if we got the same story again and again of how people acquired this figure that would suffice but that is not the case. Instead we get that it was a mail-away from Wonderbread, a mail-away from Sun Bread, a mail-away from Nestle etc. We've heard it was a Mattel outlet store exclusive, an after thought that got sent to dollar stores. There's just not enough consistency in the stories out there.
    I think it's pretty cool though that there's another Mattel employee on the case...

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Am I right to say that ToyGuru is probably the only person among us who could potentially 100% sort this out? I mean, it wasn't that long ago. If he can't find something at Mattel, wouldn't it indicate either a cover up on their part or that they didn't have anything to do with the figure? I just really find it hard to believe that even Mattel doesn't know about this figure.

Let's not go looking for conspiracies.

Toyguru is trying to figure out exactly what the story is with this figure.
    It's a real figure.
    But there's no documentation at Mattel to reveal its origins.
    And 25 years ago is a long time in terms of keeping records... pre-computer era, especially.

That's why he and ToyFare are trying to figure out what it is and how it came about.

Robots and Monsters! TrimmTrabb's Avatar
    Let's not go looking for conspiracies.

Toyguru is trying to figure out exactly what the story is with this figure.
    It's a real figure.
    But there's no documentation at Mattel to reveal its origins.
    And 25 years ago is a long time in terms of keeping records... pre-computer era, especially.

That's why he and ToyFare are trying to figure out what it is and how it came about.
    Right on. Don't get me wrong, I very much appreciate everyone's efforts in terms of solving this mystery. I guess it's just evidence that I've been working in the computer age all of my professional life that I can't comprehend that a major company like Mattel has no record of something they did only 25 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by monkeynugget View Post
    Jeez... Nice how Oat answered your attempts to help him there, huh MM? I think a major requirement for getting a job at the Wizard empire is being snarky.
    I don't think he meant it that way.
    Thus is the callous nature of the internet. you have to choose your words carefully and be sure to include lots of smileys to be certain.
    Yes, Zach needs a lesson in the use of smileys. That's okay though. I don't read ToyFare anyway.
    "Of course, that's just my opinion... I could be wrong."

The Metal Misfit Blog!
    The Metal Excess Blog!
    THE KRYPTONIAN WAY @ Wizard Universe (by yours truly!)

My MOTU Wish List

Man!
    the WB is such a touchy subject.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Definitely speculation on your part.

We don't know if it came with any weapons.
    The weapons it was first photographed with, and then accepted as a given, were weapons that in fact came with Man-E-Weapons... but it's been paired with a mix of various red weapons, from one to two of various types.
    Logic dictates, instead, that he didn't come with any weapons.

And let's be realistic from a business point of view.
    Mattel isn't going to produce one Conan figure, with no card, no accessories, no fanfare, etc.
    Then release it anyway in some secretive fashion because it was intended to be a Conan figure, knowing they don't have the rights to do so, and knowing it could create problems for them.
    No major company is going to risk that.

Mattel would have destroyed any Conan toys before giving them away for as a promo.
    So, this still appears to be some MOTU-specific variant.
    There are no conspiracies here, folks (at least I'm pretty sure).

I have never mentioned this on this site because I really do not care about the figure but I do remember when I was a kid seeing an add on the back of a loaf wonderbread for this figure. Like Val said memories may play tricks on you but I am d*** certain I saw it. It was on the bottom of the bag and the bag was white and near the nutrition area it was in black no color. It was a small add of He-man standing with the Grayskull axe in his hand telling you what you had to do to get him. Like I said it was black and white so you could not tell what color He-man was. The best way to find out if this is true is to find a plastic wonderbread bag from that time. You would be surprised at what people collect so some may exist. And don't flame me about this because I would pretty much bet anything that I DID SEE IT.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    wonderbread only had the cards. the loaf of bread had an extra bag around the loaf with an image of he-man and the info about the promotion. if anyone had the bag still which i doubt this could be resolved so easily. and its not frikkin conan.

i bet the guys from that factory in taiwan are laughing it up now. who would have thought this would get this crazy.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Chuckling @ the cover-up theory. Maybe the paint on WB He-Man contains high levels of lead.

Seriously though, for those of you who are interested in figuring out the mystery, I think it might help to start out with some basics. -- For instance, keeping an ongoing log on which states the original owners are from. It could help to determine if it was something that was shipped to specific parts of the country, and then you can take those states and try to see if they have any state-specific stores in common (like maybe a dollar store type of chain)

Has WB He-Man ever shown up overseas? -- I'm talking original owner.

Recently moved to GA! Help! I need to know new people!
    I remember seeing a pic of the famed WB He-man in a mail in baggie still sealed with all it's accesories in the old He-man.Org years and years ago. I forgot who owns the fig but it seems genuine. He even has the mail in offer form too.

Can't remember the user anymore though! Sorry.
    By the Power... and For the Honor of GRAYSKULL!!!
    HE-MAN and SHE-RA Rules!!!

"Frustration is only felt when one realizes there is an option!"
    - Ancient One (BeastMaster: The Series; Fifth Element)

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from MAGIC!
    - Clarke's Third Law

That was Darren, and he opened it to try and help verify what it was.
    It wasn't proven to be official.
    From what we could tell, it could have been a sandwich baggie with the stuff shoved inside it.
    The paperwork inside was a generic Mattel coupon, that didn't have any ties to the supposed mail-away.

There was no mail-in offer form.

I definitely have no doubt that MOTU came about as a direct result of Conan.
    But people involved at Mattel, even those who no longer work there and have no loyalty to Mattel, have said MOTU is not a defunct Conan line that they relabelled and sold.

Was the Savage He-Man variant a figure produced for Conan, then later sold as MOTU?
    If it was, it would have been part of the suit against Mattel because that would have been product that would have been seen and reviewed by the licensor.
    No product gets to an actual production stage of Mattel's magnitude without prior approvals from the licensor.
    It would have been a lock-and-shut case against Mattel that they took a Conan line and redressed it.
    But that didn't happen. So there's no way the MOTU figures were designed as part of a Conan line.

Good research, though. Stuff like this helps to paint a bigger picture of the events at the time.

I think it's all nothing more than Mattel was set to do Conan.
    It fell through.
    Mattel still saw the potential for a fantasty based line, due to Conan's popularity at the time.
    Then Mattel rushed out their own fantasy based concept.

I've seen the concept photos from Roger Sweet showing the original MOTU concepts.
    That is definitely our He-Man. Wish I had the photo to show.

Also, Mattel isn't denying they made Savage He-Man. They are just trying to figure out its origins. At no point did they try to refute it's their figure.
    If they were doing that, Mattel and ToyFare wouldn't be asking questions about this figure to try and figure out exactly how it was offered.

Perhaps they developed the Savage He-man first,
    saw it was too close to Conan,
    then were left with a bunch of samples sitting around.
    The lack of information makes this anyone's guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Metal Misfit View Post
    Check out this plea from the TF guys at the WizardUniverse.com board and lend them a hand!

http://wizarduniverse.invisionzone.com/index.php?showtopic=15990

They can't handle WBH!!!

...He is a mystery wrapped in a riddle wrapped in an enigma wrapped in a smelly Taco Bell Burrito!!!!!!
    THE HUNTER OF MOTU

True enough. And the honest truth is we can't trust our memories, especially those from our youth which was so long ago.

I'll give you an example.
    A few days ago, we were having a conversation here in the studio about the Jim Hensen hour.
    Unless I had evidence otherwise, I would have bet money that the show started with Jim Hensen in a gazebo, in a cloud-like surrounding, with a big gold lion at his feet.

Turned out, I was wrong. It was a white lion, and the clouds were all in my head.

Actually, its easy to see where the clouds came from...

Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

Yep, no doubt from seeing that griffin (or whatever it is) in front of that really bad blue screened cloud scene.
    I remember big blue puffy clouds, with a gazebo in the middle of them... definitely an amalgam of stuff here on this show intro.
    heh heh, cool! Thanks for digging that up!

Memories... they'll trick ya. What's worse, if enough people suggest something is true, you begin to believe it too... the older the idea/memory, the easier it is to sell unless someone or something proves otherwise.

Pssst...that's ROBERT E. HOWARD who wrote Conan...Not Robert Lee.
    Leeloomina´ Lekatariba Lamina-Tcha´ Ekbat De Sebat

Luck is for losers GK Version 1's Avatar

Perhaps they developed the Savage He-man first,
    saw it was too close to Conan,
    then were left with a bunch of samples sitting around.
    The lack of information makes this anyone's guess.
    That's what I've been wondering for a few years now. It's the only thing that really makes sense.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by LeelooMinai View Post
    Pssst...that's ROBERT E. HOWARD who wrote Conan...Not Robert Lee.
    hee hee... just imagine if Universal had made a movie based on one of Howard's other characters... He-Man might just have been the most powerful Puritan in the Universe!

It's kind of a shame all these great postings about WB He-Man arn't on the original WB He-Man thread. Poor original WB He-Man thread.......... probly feels left out.

I'll move it over as soon as ToyFare finalizes the article.
    I agree it should be merged.

COOL!!! I was reply number 1000 on the WB He-Man thread and I didn't even plan it that way!! I was wondering when this thread would hit 1000.

Anyways, I was thinking about something....Several people on this thread have suggested that WB He-Man is simply a result of a Mattel factory (probably the Taiwan factory) doing the wrong run on He-Man. That the colors somehow got screwed up so the figure is simply a factory error that probably got released in Mattel outlet stores or independent dollar stores. This seems like a very good explanation but do you think that it is plausible that a factory could accidentally screw up the color scheme on so many fronts? I mean were talking about hair being brown instead of blonde, the trunks being a brown mold instead of a maroon/red mold, the belt being black instead of orange, and the boots being black instead of maroon. Do you guys think it is possible that a factory error could have produced Savage He-Man????

Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    COOL!!! I was reply number 1000 on the WB He-Man thread and I didn't even plan it that way!! I was wondering when this thread would hit 1000.

Anyways, I was thinking about something....Several people on this thread have suggested that WB He-Man is simply a result of a Mattel factory (probably the Taiwan factory) doing the wrong run on He-Man. That the colors somehow got screwed up so the figure is simply a factory error that probably got released in Mattel outlet stores or independent dollar stores. This seems like a very good explanation but do you think that it is plausible that a factory could accidentally screw up the color scheme on so many fronts? I mean were talking about hair being brown instead of blonde, the trunks being a brown mold instead of a maroon/red mold, the belt being black instead of orange, and the boots being black instead of maroon. Do you guys think it is possible that a factory error could have produced Savage He-Man????
    See thats why I think this toy was the real deal. At some point on time Mattle produced this figure and we got him soem how. Theres no way that they would mess up and send them out to dollar stores. I only really remember seeing dollar store like in the last 10 years
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Heroic Warrior
    Prolly just a case of :

"Nah , HM looks better with blonde hair...let's just give these away or something"

Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !