Page 43 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3341424344455393 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 2460

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

"I think" and "not sure" aren't very reassuring.
    Add 25 years to that and there's no way a guess off the cuff translates into "it appears that wb he-man is CONAN"

It was definitely worth asking, though!

Perhaps it was conan until they decided to go with He-Man, they had already produced a number of these that were somehow distributed.

How they got out there is the question

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flint View Post
    Perhaps it was conan until they decided to go with He-Man, they had already produced a number of these that were somehow distributed.

How they got out there is the question
    common misconception. the conan situation isnt as realavent as people have come to imagine. it was just a guessimate of the origin. but has long been disproved and even shot down in the mastering the universe book.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

I hate how perplexing this character is!

Even a Dollar Store item would at least come in a baggie with a header card. All the available information seems to indicate that there isn't any packaging for WB He-Man...which would mean that he was probably handed out somehow/somewhere. But WHY would nobody remember a memorable event like that?

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I hate how perplexing this character is!

Even a Dollar Store item would at least come in a baggie with a header card. All the available information seems to indicate that there isn't any packaging for WB He-Man...which would mean that he was probably handed out somehow/somewhere. But WHY would nobody remember a memorable event like that?
    I like the idea of this figure being practically given away at Mattel Outlet stores or other cheap liquidation stores. Someone mentioned on this thread that he got a couple of these figures from a lady who got them in bulk at a Mattel Outlet store. I have a friend who used to frequent these Mattel stores as a kid and they would always have something called the 'bin of death' or 'BOD' which was basically just a tub full of loose flawed product that for whatever reason didn't make it out to distribution. Its a very good possibility that these figures were just picked up in bulk by adult collectors/dealers and that's why we don't have all of the childhood recollections of how they acquired them. I have been in some of these stores and have even tried talking to management to see if I could get ANY information about the figure but they always just tell me that any info like that would come from corporate. That's why the fate of us knowing the history of this figure lies with someone like ToyGuru or anyone else with substantial inside connections to Mattel.

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    One of the guy's I work with used to work for Mattel, so today I gave him a brief overview of the whole Wonder-Bread He-Man mythos and asked him if he knew anyone he used to work with who might know anything. He said he would pass my message along, but don't get my hopes up. It's one of those friend-of-a-friend things, and you know how those usually turn out. I'll let you know if I hear anything, just trying to do my part!

I noticed that a lot of these wonder bread's have been going up for auction on ebay lately. I really want one but I don't want to get stuck with a fake.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Lurker View Post
    One of the guy's I work with used to work for Mattel, so today I gave him a brief overview of the whole Wonder-Bread He-Man mythos and asked him if he knew anyone he used to work with who might know anything. He said he would pass my message along, but don't get my hopes up. It's one of those friend-of-a-friend things, and you know how those usually turn out. I'll let you know if I hear anything, just trying to do my part!
    Sweet...the more connections the better. If we uncover enough pieces maybe someday we can solve this ever perplexing puzzle

Court Magician

Lol

I was going through my toys the other day clean out my stuff and look what i found. My mom would always send away for all the stuff that was mail promos.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by mcafferty View Post
    I was going through my toys the other day clean out my stuff and look what i found. My mom would always send away for all the stuff that was mail promos.
    So have you had this toy since the mid 80s? What do you think the chances are of your mom remembering where/how you acquired this figure?

Court Magician
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    So have you had this toy since the mid 80s? What do you think the chances are of your mom remembering where/how you acquired this figure?
    The toy is dated 1981 on the back and i had a lot of he man toys. I am not a collector and have not bought a He man in year. oh wait i never bought one unless it was with my allowance for doing the dishes or something...lol

I will have to ask her and let you all know.

I did post a pic of all the he man that i have but only posted the close up on this thread. I took a lot of close up of it if anyone is interested i could email the hi res. ones...Mac

OMG yes! Please ask your mom where he came from.

sounds cool, maybe we'll get some relevant answers this time

Unless there's some tangible evidence, we won't have any answers.

Court Magician
    sorry guy i asked her and she does not remember. too long ago.

sorry guy i asked her and she does not remember. too long ago.
    I think we all had a feeling that would happen! Thanks for asking though, and nice looking figure by the way

Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    I think we all had a feeling that would happen! Thanks for asking though, and nice looking figure by the way
    The powers-that-be gave the mom a quick memory wipe the very instant it was suggested.

The powers-that-be gave the mom a quick memory wipe the very instant it was suggested.
    i think that if this really ough to be a real figure, people should start asking if there was any mail away or promotion of anykind related to motu, and then show the figure only after getting some responses

Hell, I'm just thrilled that for once someone admits that it was too long ago to really remember!
    That's honesty at work.

I remember talking to my mom just recently.
    She brought up how when I was young, she took me to Toys'R'Us to see He-Man and Skeletor.
    Unfortunately, she took me to Tons'o'Toys to see He-Man and Hurricane Hordak.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    i think that if this really ough to be a real figure, people should start asking if there was any mail away or promotion of anykind related to motu, and then show the figure only after getting some responses
    It's a good idea in theory, but it still results in the same problem.
    If they don't remember what the figure looks like, and you seed the notion it might be the one in your hand, they are likely to say something like "Yeah, that could have been it."

You could fine tune the idea by lining up 10 figures that actually were in mail-aways (like JCPenny's, etc),
    then let them pick it.

Court Magician
    like a He-Man Line up...

Like i said my mom said it was to long ago. I don't think it is possible for her to lie.

like a He-Man Line up...

Like i said my mom said it was to long ago. I don't think it is possible for her to lie.
    Think you or your mom would be willing to undergo hypnosis?

Seriously though, what about weapons? Can you recall if he came with any?

Seriously though, what about weapons? Can you recall if he came with any?
    Mcafferty,
    I see that you listed your WB He-Man for sale with black chest armour and maroon sword and shield.
    Do you remember if the black chest armour and maroon sword and shield are what WB He-man came with when you got him? Have these accessories been in your collection since you were a kid? Do you know if you have other weapons from the weapons pack (eg: yellow Beast Man armour, blue He-man weapons, grey castle grayskull weapons, black zodak accessories)? Do you know if you ever owned a Man-E-Faces with extra maroon weapons? Sorry to bombard you with questions but it might be helpful towards figuring out what possible weapons this figure came with.
    Last edited by Trev-Or; December 17, 2007 at 05:05pm. Reason: spelling error

Court Magician
    All toys have been in my collection since i was a kid. I was trying to put all the figures back together with armor and weapons. I am no expert on this. I do find this to be fascinating that no one knows what is going on with this.

this thread is very interesting. funny thing is the WB he-man thing SOUNDS familiar, I remember there being a WB promo but I hated store bought bread AND I think it was only in the states so I was annoyed by it. now that's not to say it was the mystery figure we know, there were a few mail away promotions for MOTU, I KNOW that that's how I got my king randor because the package came on my birthday so I thought that was something special. I think the coupon came with extendar - but this was late in the life of the line.
    CHECK OUT MY BRAND NEW WEBSITE for my Akil and Saltfish comic strip, more to come soon!

I've got everything that I need, right in front of me! Life's a happy song people!

Fear is faith in failure

Quote Originally Posted by krosfyah View Post
    this thread is very interesting. funny thing is the WB he-man thing SOUNDS familiar, I remember there being a WB promo but I hated store bought bread AND I think it was only in the states so I was annoyed by it. now that's not to say it was the mystery figure we know, there were a few mail away promotions for MOTU, I KNOW that that's how I got my king randor because the package came on my birthday so I thought that was something special. I think the coupon came with extendar - but this was late in the life of the line.
    Now that i think of it, i'm almost postive there were a few mail aways around here aswell, from NEstle, Panrico (kinda like wonder bread) and Pastilhas Gorila.