Page 46 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3644454647485696 ... LastLast
Results 1,126 to 1,150 of 2450

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    the problem is the first internet "memories" these still continue to plague peoples information now. like the constant reference to wonderbread. it clouds things. this also happen with transformers "blue bluestreak" not everyone is so clear in memory nor completly honest.
    bluestreak is gray, but there is either a ko or diaclone BLUE bluestreak, but i totally get your point, and by the time being i don't believe anyone who says he remembered owning one, it's just massively improbable so many people remember it and no one knows where it came from.

Quote Originally Posted by stevetor View Post
    sorry...couldn't resit the pun there..
    so I'm a little late to this thread, but (and admittedly haven't read all 45 pages!!!) I'm just curious.
    has anyone contaced Wonder to see if it's legit?
    have there ever surfaced any order forms or trade ads...or is that part of the mystery...how was this figure packaged/sold?

I just contacted Wonder Bread a few days ago by email. Someone there checked around for me and said that they had no information for me, but "guessed that this was offered in the late 80s". I think the representative just made this conclusion based on when he-man was popular. I don't think he really knew if this was an offer or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Syl-Klone View Post
    I just contacted Wonder Bread a few days ago by email. Someone there checked around for me and said that they had no information for me, but "guessed that this was offered in the late 80s". I think the representative just made this conclusion based on when he-man was popular. I don't think he really knew if this was an offer or not.
    they have a template mail for that kind of question, i wonder how many times they used it anyways, the whole thread is a good read, i'd recommend going through it

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    the problem is the first internet "memories" these still continue to plague peoples information now. like the constant reference to wonderbread. it clouds things. this also happen with transformers "blue bluestreak" not everyone is so clear in memory nor completly honest.
    Internet memories aside, I still remember things about my figures from long before anyone ever dreamt that we’d have things like WWW and Ebay.

For instance my original He-Man figure, I remember how my grandmother bought it for me and how excited I was. I can tell you the exact location I was in when I received a Prince Adam figure. I can still tell you how excited I was when I tore open my Man-At-Arms and Jitsu figures one Christmas day. And so on and so forth.

That’s why it baffles me that NO ONE has a recollection of that figure even if it were in their collections. If I saw some offer I would definitely remember reading about it and filling out forms for it (or asking my parents to do so).

I have read bits and pieces of this thread. Here is the main reason I think it is legit. About 4 years ago I bought 2 collections for 2 different individuals who just had their collections boxed up in an attic for 15 years or so. Both individuals were no longer collectors and had not touched their collections in years.

Both collections had the WB He-Man figure inside them. One collection had a maroon sword among all of his weapons, and the other had all 5 maroon weapons, so I am assuming he had the Man-E-Weapons. When I asked them about it, one said he did not remember exactly where he got it, and the other said he bought his at a garage sale when he was 8 because he looked meaner than his regular He-Man, which by the way was mint because he never played with it.

Kind of a funny story.

That was all the proof I needed.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    Internet memories aside, I still remember things about my figures from long before anyone ever dreamt that we’d have things like WWW and Ebay.

For instance my original He-Man figure, I remember how my grandmother bought it for me and how excited I was. I can tell you the exact location I was in when I received a Prince Adam figure. I can still tell you how excited I was when I tore open my Man-At-Arms and Jitsu figures one Christmas day. And so on and so forth.

That’s why it baffles me that NO ONE has a recollection of that figure even if it were in their collections. If I saw some offer I would definitely remember reading about it and filling out forms for it (or asking my parents to do so).
    i remember neary every figure i owned. when,where and how i got it too. i have a photographic memory and i know for a fact that wonder bread didnt offer it. other people claim they remember mailing away for it from wonder bread. thats all im saying. like i can visualize the loaf of bread so clearly i remember going to the deli every sunday with my grandmother and buy those loaves. and why you ask??? for the cards. not a figure. but mismatch someones memories of that with the wep pack zodac armor which has a W on it and bam you got yourself a memoral conclusion. and its that which is causing the lack of progress on this issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    bluestreak is gray, but there is either a ko or diaclone BLUE bluestreak, but i totally get your point, and by the time being i don't believe anyone who says he remembered owning one, it's just massively improbable so many people remember it and no one knows where it came from.
    bluestreak is gray. but his box art shows him in his diaclone colors. i remember back in the 90's arguing endlessly with people able the fact that he didnt come like that. and thet'd swear by it. yet noone has supplied a none tampered mib blue bluestreak. he was only sold as a diaclone in that style paint scheme.
    Last edited by galaxy warrior; January 8, 2008 at 04:43pm.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Whats so ridiculious is that not only can none of us remember but the sellers of the WB went into hidding.

Maybe it was a figure that got the red light and it was to far into distrubition. Lets just say Wonder Bread did have a mail away back in the day. And they already started shipping them out and then Mattel said stop and now they are denying that they even exsisted. There maybe things that are surrounding this figure that we really don't know. Maybe thats why its so hush hush. Maybe it was a mistake of color and Mattel said what the heck are you doing thats not Heman. Or maybe someone at Mattel screwed up and made a huge amount of WB's by accident and they got rid of them thru a Mail away.

Alot of conspirary theories there. Sorry. Sometimes my brain just goes.
    I just came up with that and maybe some of that is truth.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Ram_Man_21 View Post
    I never thought that when I started this thread back in '02 that it would be the longest running thread in the history of the message boards. It's an honor to be part of He-man.org History

cheers bud!

i like to go back n read the posts where i bursted ur bubble a bit then

the memories..
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

bluestreak is gray. but his box art shows him in his diaclone colors. i remember back in the 90's arguing endlessly with people able the fact that he didnt come like that. and thet'd swear by it. yet noone has supplied a none tampered mib blue bluestreak. he was only sold as a diaclone in that style paint scheme.
    that might be Milton Bradley bluestreak, as red tracks is not only diaclone but Milton Bradley Red Tracks. I don't think i ever seen an MB Bluestreak but your memories might not be fooling you in this case.

AS for WB He-man i think i really finaly making my peace with the mistery, i'll explain later when i build my new custom wonder bread he-man, that is, when i feel like doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram_Man_21;
    I never thought that when I started this thread back in '02 that it would be the longest running thread in the history of the message boards. It's an honor to be part of He-man.org History
    Great to see you on the thread again Ram_Man_21!

Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew View Post
    you don't need molds to make this figure(and actually to match the color of the original is virtually impossible)...SAVAGE HE-MAN can be READILY kit bashed from existing figures and there really is no reason to pay outrageous prices for a "real" one ever gain...the waist is from either a FISTO or MOSSMAN... the skin from either TRIKLOPS and/or HE-MAN...
    Fisto, Mossman, Buzz-Off, and Flying Fist He-Man all have brown molds. Their colors are all distinctly different from WB He-Man's mold; generally they are all darker. The molds themselves are different as well. All these figures just mentioned with brown molds were produced in either Honk Kong or Malaysia. The pelvic molds on these figures look a little different from Taiwan pelvic molds. The Taiwan pelvic molds tend to have thinner fir with more detail. Hong Kong and Malaysian pelvic molds tend to have thicker fir and with a little less detail.

When inspecting the pelvic molds on Taiwan 1981 figures I noticed a subtle difference among them. The vast majority of the pelvic molds look like this:

Man-at-Arms
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02704.jpg
    Zodak
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02707.jpg
    He-Man
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02708.jpg

Notice how the fir goes directly up to the base of the center of the belt.
    I found only 3 Taiwan 1981 figures in my collection that differ subtly from these molds all in the EXACT same way. Notice how there is a small gap between the top of the fir and the center of the belt buckle:

Wonderbread (Savage) He-man
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02710.jpg
    Stratos
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02713.jpg
    Mer-Man
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02714.jpg

I know the differences are subtle but I just found it kind of interesting. Do you think this difference is because of a different mold or just a slight error/difference in production? It’s just weird that they differ in EXACTLY the same way. For those of you with Wonderbread He-Men out there:
    If you could inspect the pelvic mold on your figure and post which one of these molds you have that would be awesome. If all the molds are like the lower three figures (with a gap between the fir and center of belt buckle), it might give some insight into whether or not these figures were produced in one run or multiple runs with multiple molds.

Here’s some pictures of my figure by the way:
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02717.jpg
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02718.jpg
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02721.jpg

WARNING: THIS POST IS THE RESULT OF SOMEONE HAVING WAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS. IF YOU FIND YOURSELF ENJOYING A VACATION, IT IS SUGGESTED THAT YOU FIND SOMETHING MORE PRODUCTIVE TO OCCUPY YOUR TIME THAN INSPECTING THE PELVIC MOLDS ON HE-MAN FIGURES…

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    I read the book "Mastering the Universe" by Roger Sweet which goes in depth about Mattel, sales figures, marketing, and promotional dealings throughout He Man's reign. Although it may have been an afterthough, i would have to assume that some sort of dealing with the wonderbread company may have been mentioned. it was not. this sort of solidifies even further the mystery about where this figure comes from but I , personally do not beleive it to be a bread company. i DO recommend this book for some good info about the line. hope this is helpful.

Even though it does seem mighty odd that it's usually 'Wonder Bread He-Man' that folks can't remember anything about, I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility that the memory loss is legit.

For instance, I can tell you everything about my childhood PoP figures and the one playset I had. I know exactly which stores they came from. My memories of them are very strong.

With MOTU, it's a bit different. Now I didn't have tons and tons of the figures, however I definitely had more MOTU than PoP. But for whatever reason, I have a hard time remembering where some of them came from. In fact, it's only because of this site that I even remembered having Roboto as a kid. I was looking at the pictures of him one day and all of a sudden I was like: "Holy crap, I remember having that figure!" For the life of me, I can't recall the circumstances behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    WARNING: THIS POST IS THE RESULT OF SOMEONE HAVING WAAAAAAAAY TOO MUCH TIME ON THEIR HANDS. IF YOU FIND YOURSELF ENJOYING A VACATION, IT IS SUGGESTED THAT YOU FIND SOMETHING MORE PRODUCTIVE TO OCCUPY YOUR TIME THAN INSPECTING THE PELVIC MOLDS ON HE-MAN FIGURES…
    Haha, Trev-Or will be staring in an upcoming episode of CSI: He-Man. Great observation though, I enjoyed reading that post. I think it's a good idea to get pics of multiple wonder bread figures to check for differences.

The memory thing baffles me too, but you have to remember, only a small percentage of people are on these boards or other places where the wonder bread mystery is advertised. I'm hoping the new Toyfare issue can help bring more attention to it.
    Last edited by Syl-Klone; January 9, 2008 at 02:06am.

I swear I saw that coupon. Its been so long ago but I remember something very similar to that when I used to live in Lake Tahoe and it was in Raley's.
    Raley's was a grocery store but it had a big toy section unlike grocery stores today.
    I remember there was a huge endcap and was when I got Teela and Orko but could not find a third figure. THere was some kind of offer where you buy 3 figures and you get something but the only 2 I did not have was Orko and Teela but my Mom assured me it would be ok to wait and buy the third another time. I can't remember if we ever did the offer.

This is just in very vague memory and I know there is no way I could remember if I saw that exact coupon but I swear I saw something like it.

On a related note. I also remember a different offer that was for some sort of club, I think maybe a book club, That said you received a free MOTU figure that has never been released before. I remember begging my Mom to get it but she said it was too expensive "Just to get a figure".
    I always wondered who they would have sent but over the years assumed it was just a new figure that eventually was released in stores.

just a reminder or for those who cant spend days of there lifes reading the whole thread:

the thing is, no one knows anything about this cupon, although it has been search in other mattel figure lines like barbie
    Last edited by Mye-Kah B; January 9, 2008 at 04:21am.

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    I do remember Mattel doing a free can of slime when you buy 2 figures. this was not such a popular idea with parents who just needed the replacement slime but not the 2 figures the kid most likely already had.

Quote Originally Posted by skeletoncrew View Post
    not to be a wet blanket, but i have my doubts as to whether toyfare will uncover anything we haven't put forth in this thread...i have a feeling their article will just help to fan the flames of the mystery
    Got the issue of ToyFare.

::::SPOILER::::::

There's some interesting tid-bits in the one-page article, but yeah, you were right. They did put out the call though for information. Maybe something will come of this.
    Last edited by Tallstar; January 9, 2008 at 11:53am.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Got the issue of ToyFare.

::::SPOILER::::::

There's some interesting tid-bits in the one-page article, but yeah, you were right. They did put out the call though for information. Maybe something will come of this.
    is ToyFare a magazine? Is it possible to post the article here?

is ToyFare a magazine? Is it possible to post the article here?
    Nah. That's not allowed.

Yes, ToyFare is a magazine.

I would like to see it too, but like Tallstar said nothing special in it and I believe that.
    MOTUC needs:Tung Lashor, Rio-Blast and rest of the Hordes!

WANTED: Minicomics !!! Swords NEEDED !!! MY FEEDBACK

::::ANOTHER SPOILER:::::

They didn't use a real Wonder Bread / Savage He-Man figure either. Mattel's paint department did a mock-up figure.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    ::::ANOTHER SPOILER:::::

They didn't use a real Wonder Bread / Savage He-Man figure either. Mattel's paint department did a mock-up figure.
    I wonder why they’d do that.

Also, Mattel's paint department actually cares about where this came from? Huh?

Mattel's Fan Relations Marketing Coordinator gives some commentary in the article, but it's nothing that we really haven't heard before. Pretty much they're asking us for help. hehe

EDIT

You know what? My boyfriend had a lot of MOTU figures and playsets when he was a kid, but for some reason I've never thought to ask him about 'Wonder Bread He-Man.' He's a blank slate on this issue. I'm just going to show him a picture and ask if he ever had a brown-haired He-Man or if he knew of anyone that did.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    Great to see you on the thread again Ram_Man_21!

Fisto, Mossman, Buzz-Off, and Flying Fist He-Man all have brown molds. Their colors are all distinctly different from WB He-Man's mold; generally they are all darker. The molds themselves are different as well. All these figures just mentioned with brown molds were produced in either Honk Kong or Malaysia. The pelvic molds on these figures look a little different from Taiwan pelvic molds. The Taiwan pelvic molds tend to have thinner fir with more detail. Hong Kong and Malaysian pelvic molds tend to have thicker fir and with a little less detail.

When inspecting the pelvic molds on Taiwan 1981 figures I noticed a subtle difference among them. The vast majority of the pelvic molds look like this:

Man-at-Arms
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02704.jpg
    Zodak
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02707.jpg
    He-Man
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02708.jpg

Notice how the fir goes directly up to the base of the center of the belt.
    I found only 3 Taiwan 1981 figures in my collection that differ subtly from these molds all in the EXACT same way. Notice how there is a small gap between the top of the fir and the center of the belt buckle:

Wonderbread (Savage) He-man
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02710.jpg
    Stratos
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02713.jpg
    Mer-Man
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02714.jpg

I know the differences are subtle but I just found it kind of interesting. Do you think this difference is because of a different mold or just a slight error/difference in production? It’s just weird that they differ in EXACTLY the same way. For those of you with Wonderbread He-Men out there:
    If you could inspect the pelvic mold on your figure and post which one of these molds you have that would be awesome. If all the molds are like the lower three figures (with a gap between the fir and center of belt buckle), it might give some insight into whether or not these figures were produced in one run or multiple runs with multiple molds.

Here’s some pictures of my figure by the way:
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02717.jpg
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02718.jpg
    http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r...d/DSC02721.jpg

Don't know if this will help, but here is a pic of the waist of the figure I picked up last year at a garage sale. The people were moving out of state and selling off their kid's toys. The figures hadn't been touched in 20 years or so:

I guess it looks like he has the gap you are talking about.

And to address another point brought up recently....I had all the He-Man stuff as a kid up to series 4, then I just stopped altogether. My parents sold off my old toys, so all my stuff was picked up recently. I can't for the life of me remember where or when I had gotten any of them, but I remember I had them. People can forget that kind of stuff, easily!

I wonder why they’d do that.
    Because they didn't have one but wanted one for a nice photo in the article.
    So they mocked one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Relayer35 View Post
    Don't know if this will help, but here is a pic of the waist of the figure I picked up last year at a garage sale. The people were moving out of state and selling off their kid's toys. The figures hadn't been touched in 20 years or so:

I guess it looks like he has the gap you are talking about.

And to address another point brought up recently....I had all the He-Man stuff as a kid up to series 4, then I just stopped altogether. My parents sold off my old toys, so all my stuff was picked up recently. I can't for the life of me remember where or when I had gotten any of them, but I remember I had them. People can forget that kind of stuff, easily!
    Yes it does look like it has the same mold as mine....interesting. Please, if anyone else has this figure which you are pretty sure it is legit please post a close up of the pelvic mold to see if they match.
    And I also had pretty much every figure through series 4. I only had one figure from series 5, Stonedar. I have no idea where I got these figures either. The only thing I remember is seeing Grizzlor, Mossman, and Jitsu hanging on the toys shelf in Longs Drugs in Fresno, CA-that's it!