Page 49 of 99 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 2460

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

80sMasters.com freespeach Brian Ozone's Avatar
    I can remember my Grandmother giving me the figure. I can remember that it didn't have a card either. I'm pretty sure it was in a bag. And if my grandma gave me the figure that means she got it for free from a promotion, like a give away.
    http://http://80sMasters.com/
    It's your place for Freedom of Speach for everything MOTU, POP, TMNT, , Horror, Wrestling, DC and Batman, and all other properties that are cool.
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter.... BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    Wait, that's not making sense unless you forgot a "not" in the first phrase. If you found it among other figures with no discrepancy of value why do you say it's a custom?
    That is exactly right I completely mistyped it and left out the not.
    Sorry, I will edit it.

Take Care,
    Darren
    Mattel please, buy the He-Man and She-Ra cartoons from Entertainment Rights. If you owned Both Filmation related "MotU" cartoons, plus "NA" and "MYP" cartoons, you would be able to distribute any or all 4 cartoons to Television in the lead up to another relaunch or a live action movie. Plus, you could include Filmation and "NA" animated characters in "MotU:C"!

Long Live 'MOTU'!

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    I can remember my Grandmother giving me the figure. I can remember that it didn't have a card either. I'm pretty sure it was in a bag. And if my grandma gave me the figure that means she got it for free from a promotion, like a give away.
    This was in New York?

i bought one from a board member recently and it is very real

i too am curious out to where it really original came from.

Heroic Warrior
    I think the Chinese knock off theory is probably the best theory. Would explain why Mattel has no recollection or no record of it. Even if there’s no MOC version.
    Last edited by Class316; January 15, 2008 at 12:09pm.

Something of interest? A clue? I dunno.

I've been going through a lot the stories [on and off the boards] of folks who remember having the figure as a kid or found him at a garage sales/flea markets, and here's what I come up with...

Sorry for my cheesy map.

Pink areas = Savage He-Man discoveries / Childhood collections

Widget
    if this has been covered before i apologize just a newb question what is a wonder bread he-man?

Quote Originally Posted by Nilsor II View Post
    Here is a shot of my WB He-Man, just for corroboration (and personal pride). Enjoy.

Nils
    Quote Originally Posted by gijoe071681 View Post
    if this has been covered before i apologize just a newb question what is a wonder bread he-man?

Here is a pic from the first page of the thread. http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...27&postcount=7 It is a He-man figure that comes with no accessories, and is brown in color. No one knows exactly where he came from, just alot of therories that have been talked about in this thread and in the most recent issue of Toyfare magazine.
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    I think the Chinese knock off theory is probably the best theory. Would explain why Mattel has no recollection or no record of it. Even if there’s no MOC version.
    i really lean towards this as well. well taiwan but workers stay after hours and keep the machines running alittle longer. and in factory they do alot of test painting with all different themes even if they know the final look.

i know everyone enjoys the conan legal situation but that really took place before this stage in production. there would be no way they were related.

the closest would be that a factory worker chose conan colors to use. beyond that i really doubt any link between the 2.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Heroic Warrior
    A member over at ToyTraderz.com posted this yesterday:

Hey this is my first time at this site. I need help. I have a MOTU figure that looks just like He-man, except his hair and shorts are chocolate brown. His boots and waist band are black. It has a date on the lower back of 1981. I have a large collection but none including skeletor and he-man have a date older than 1982. I remember always having this in my collection but would have been around 3 when it was released so I can't tell you if it came in a package or how I got it. I don't believe it ever came with accessories. I never kept my toys in packages but I have always tried my best to keep everything i.e. weapons, armor, comics etc. So I am pretty certain he only came as a "bare" figure. Please someone give me some info. I may try Mattel directly.

Interesting. (Though it's slightly strange it's so soon after the article)

EDIT:

Oh! I just went to that site and noticed that was posted back in November of 2007.

Anyhow, could someone ask him where he's from. Given his 'board name' I take it he's from Michigan?...I'll be so excited if I can add it to the map. -- Not only 'cause that's where I'm from, but 'cause it falls in line with the weird pattern in the map. hehe

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    i really lean towards this as well. well taiwan but workers stay after hours and keep the machines running alittle longer. and in factory they do alot of test painting with all different themes even if they know the final look.

i know everyone enjoys the conan legal situation but that really took place before this stage in production. there would be no way they were related.

the closest would be that a factory worker chose conan colors to use. beyond that i really doubt any link between the 2.
    even if that sounds better, there is no recollection/proof of a packing/origin, i bet these just didn't fall out from the sky in a rainy day and with the amount known to date, it's highly improbable that those aspects would still be shrouded, in fact i find it impossible.

the guy i bought it from is from Minnesota like in the graph where collections were.

but i was thinking that maybe they were a few production run how he-man was gonna be. you know cause of the first 4 mini comics, but mattel then scrapped them and decided to give them away in promotions or something cause they went with blonde hair instead.

this is my guess, has anyone came up with this theory?

Quote Originally Posted by StaticX999 View Post
    this is my guess, has anyone came up with this theory?
    Yep. Similar theories have been mentioned.

On the topic of a mail-away (which I mentioned that I'm starting to be on the fence about, in favor of the 'Dollar Store' theory)...

If Savage He-Man was part of some mail-away, it seems to me that it'd be likely the promotion was printed/advertised on packaging that would be considered highly disposable. (moreso than any other food item, etc.) The plastic packaging on bread would fall in line with this logic (maybe a brand other than Wonder Bread), especially if you had to cut something out of it.

As to why nobody remembers the company...

Perhaps the product and/or company was popular at one time but is now defunct or maybe the company got assimilated by another company and records were lost.

For instance, the Carnation brand (e.g. Carnation instant breakfast) was taken over as a minor brand by Nestle in the 80s.

I think its possible that this figure may have been part of that buy 3 get 1 free offer that was shown in Toyfare. After the offer expired the leftover supply was sold at discount stores. I know this happens because I found a bin full of clear Hasbro Predators at a Dollar store in the late 90's and that was previouly only available as a mail away and they were in clear baggies with a weapon no package.

This could explain how some people remember buying it while others remember getting it in the mail. Also it seemed back then that when you mail away for a figure it comes in a different color. I remeber a GI Joe figure that was offered in some cereal that my Mom sent away for. When I got it , it was the same figure I already had but it was painted in totally different colors.

Quote Originally Posted by Reptile View Post
    I think its possible that this figure may have been part of that buy 3 get 1 free offer that was shown in Toyfare. After the offer expired the leftover supply was sold at discount stores. I know this happens because I found a bin full of clear Hasbro Predators at a Dollar store in the late 90's and that was previouly only available as a mail away and they were in clear baggies with a weapon no package.

This could explain how some people remember buying it while others remember getting it in the mail. Also it seemed back then that when you mail away for a figure it comes in a different color. I remeber a GI Joe figure that was offered in some cereal that my Mom sent away for. When I got it , it was the same figure I already had but it was painted in totally different colors.
    i agree with the gi joe thing, i've seen them colour variants bagged.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar

This seems the most likely. However, this begs the question, "Which company partnered with Mattel for the promotion?"

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar

the problem with the coupon is that it talks about different mattel lines. they wouldnt just make a special he-man and not a special barbie or monchichi. which we know they didnt. the coupon is a red herring.

well the only figure to be a mail away was starduster from gi joe cereal and lifeline from rice krispies. the lifeline had a corrected leg. (early version had a gun on his leg) and starduster was an original character. niether was a repaint of an existing character.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Going back to the Nestle Quik promotion...

The commercial does say that there are over 250,000 prizes and that 1 in 75,000 wins. Maybe Mattel really did do a batch of these in brown for some of the prizes.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar

That's very plausible. Earlier this year I found a Toyfare Exclusive figure at a dollar-type store. I won't say which one, because I keep hoping I come across Faker by chance. Seriously though, I found a Toyfare Exclusive Witchblade figure at the store.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    That's very plausible. Earlier this year I found a Toyfare Exclusive figure at a dollar-type store. I won't say which one, because I keep hoping I come across Faker by chance. Seriously though, I found a Toyfare Exclusive Witchblade figure at the store.
    man what are these dollar stores you guys keep talking about? A place where people sell there stuff for a few cents?

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    This seems the most likely. However, this begs the question, "Which company partnered with Mattel for the promotion?"
    The promotion I was refering to was the coupon shown in Toyfair and also bagged with the mystery He-man.
    It is a Mattel only promotion and I am pretty sure I remember seeing it way back when,
    I think it was around Christmas or maybe the store just had a display but I remember a huge display of toys and Tons of MOTU with the offer forms available at the display. This was at Raley's in Lake Tahoe.

I remember because I could only find 2 figures I didnt have at the time and my Mom assured me we could get another later and still do the offer. I think however I forgot about it and it never was sent in.

Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    the problem with the coupon is that it talks about different mattel lines. they wouldnt just make a special he-man and not a special barbie or monchichi. which we know they didnt. the coupon is a red herring.
    Do we know they didnt Though. Does anyone actually rememer getting anything from that offer. I know that offer is legit because I remember it but did not participate .

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    man what are these dollar stores you guys keep talking about? A place where people sell there stuff for a few cents?
    A dollar store is a place that sells everything for $1 or sometimes $1 and up but at a big discount.
    They do not sell used stuff but rather a combination of old stock, discontinued items and knockoff/cheaply made items.

Some like Doller tree have some sweet stuff that you can't believe you could actually find there.
    Last edited by Mye-Kah B; January 17, 2008 at 05:41am.

A dollar store is a place that sells everything for $1 or sometimes $1 and up but at a big discount.
    They do not sell used stuff but rather a combination of old stock, discontinued items and knockoff/cheaply made items.

Some like Doller tree have some sweet stuff that you can't believe you could actually find there.

Nice ...
    * books tickets to the USA *

Heroic Warrior
    Do we know they didnt Though. Does anyone actually rememer getting anything from that offer. I know that offer is legit because I remember it but did not participate .
    The coupon may very well be real, but either way the offer couldn’t be for that figure. Cause it makes no sense for a figure to come with the same coupon that offered it.

That “bagged” version was just someone that wanted to get a rise out of everyone. So he stuck a few accessories on the figure and put an old coupon. And it worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    The coupon may very well be real, but either way the offer couldn’t be for that figure. Cause it makes no sense for a figure to come with the same coupon that offered it.

That “bagged” version was just someone that wanted to get a rise out of everyone. So he stuck a few accessories on the figure and put an old coupon. And it worked.
    I fully agree. It just doesn't add up...

From what I understand, the offer on the coupon expired before the maroon weapons were even produced with 'Man-E-Weapons.' -- And it's very unlikely Mattel would have cast weapons in a new color specifically for Savage He-Man. If he did get anything, more-than-likely it would've been overflow from a mass-produced item(s).