Page 57 of 99 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967 ... LastLast
Results 1,401 to 1,425 of 2460

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

  1. #1401
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    875
    When reading through all the hours spent via email, phone, being transferred here and there, actually going through the effort of faxing, etc etc

    I asked myself: why would higher ups at a major corporation give a crap about an inquiry of a 30 year old figure from somebody who isn’t paying them money? Why would they go through all this when they would presumably have better things to think about?

    Did that not go through anyone’s mind?

    Then I thought about it. Perhaps they just thought it’d be some free advertising/marketing if they simply confirmed the association. This way Wonder Bread would be talked about more and more. That and the fact that they got fed up of denying it and thought of a way to have it possibly benefit them. And with the new He-Man movie coming up at the very least it couldn’t hurt them.

    As for the fear of lawsuits and such, as stated there’s no way releasing false information about a promotion that took place long before they even owned the company could really hurt them.

    motuxmen: This is a great effort you're putting, and I commend it. But I'd have to agree that the fax really doesn't offer any proof :/

    Like most I really wanna see the pic. So will look forward to it.
    Last edited by Class316; April 14, 2008 at 01:20am.

  2. #1402
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,054
    I say screw ever finding out the truth because then the longest thread in the history of the internets would end
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  3. #1403
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI USA
    Posts
    742
    Hey did anyone look at the he-man in this thread?

    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...50#post1916350

    Could WB He-man be a test shot? Makes sense and would show why no one has any proof of it.So does anyone have any contacts at mattel that can get access to what the tests shots looked like?

    Again, for those that say that taking credit for something that is not yours, like wonderbread and this figure might have is not a big deal, I still say you are wrong. I brought up the point that this may be an advertising tactic myself. And if that proves to be the case, then its fraud. Especially if a new movie comes out or something like that. Anyway, companys usually will not take credit for anything if they can not in a court of law prove it, or at least think they can anyway. Especially if that credit is first ran through lawyers first, as was done in this case. Again, this is IMO, and this will be the last time I state it as I am sure it is getting old to others too.

  4. #1404
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    875
    Sorry but I see no other reason a multi million dollar corporation would even care to spend so much time, effort, and attention on something that will only satisfy the useless nerdy knowledge of the obsessed.

    They would have nothing to prove or disprove in a court of law since after all this promotion was not done under their watch or control. So they completely washed their hands away from it. Essentially it is like me saying a murder was committed in my house before I lived in it. No one can ever connect me or hold me responsible for that murder as I was not affiliated with that house during that time. It probably went through lawyers to ensure 100% that no legal repercussions could come from that claim.

    Like I said I commend your efforts. Probably no one else put that time, effort, and dedication. But sorry to say it simply looks like another dead end.

  5. #1405
    KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    Sorry but I see no other reason a multi million dollar corporation would even care to spend so much time, effort, and attention on something that will only satisfy the useless nerdy knowledge of the obsessed.

    They would have nothing to prove or disprove in a court of law since after all this promotion was not done under their watch or control. So they completely washed their hands away from it. Essentially it is like me saying a murder was committed in my house before I lived in it. No one can ever connect me or hold me responsible for that murder as I was not affiliated with that house during that time. It probably went through lawyers to ensure 100% that no legal repercussions could come from that claim.

    Like I said I commend your efforts. Probably no one else put that time, effort, and dedication. But sorry to say it simply looks like another dead end.
    thank you

    THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

    http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

  6. #1406
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI USA
    Posts
    742
    So does anyone know anyone at mattel? Val maybe? I would like to know if its possible that this figure is actually an early proto/testshot. In anothe thread in here called the origin of he-man or something like that there is a few sketchs of early he-man and he looks a lot more like conan with dark hair, belt, boots which would more be like this figure.

    I know people have brought up the conan type thing before and have pretty much dismissed it, but they had to do a prototype of that style as they did with all the other early style characters. And in my last post I linked a different thread that has what looks like a test shot and that one is very sim. to the WB/Savage one.

  7. #1407
    Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Northern part
    Posts
    5,838
    You mean these sketches?

    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/conce...aylorindex.htm

    Well, he certainly looks a bit more like the first concept-sketch, that's for sure, but he kind of lacks the helmet, wich the original wax-prototype that you can see here, has.
    http://www.grayskullmuseum.com/conception/archives1.htm

  8. #1408
    Master of Good Hair Eamon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Irish but live in UK
    Posts
    16,274
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    Holy crap!!!
    I had never seen those images before!
    I proper blown away here!!!

    I'm gonna have to open a seperate thread about these and there's loads to discuss about!!!
    Selected art prints now available:
    www.eamonart.com

  9. #1409
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,054
    a test shot is just an unpainted factory sample.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  10. #1410
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI USA
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    a test shot is just an unpainted factory sample.

    Most of the time....but sometimes its done in a paint scheme other than the figure to be released. Ive seen this done with Starwars figures, Marvel legends, Buffy figures, Stargate figures, and others. Ive also seen test figures run to see which paint scheme works best, which this could have been. Also a test shot can be done to see if the figure has any flaws before mass production, but it can be used to test the paint and how well it holds up as well. A company tests everything in small amounts before it actually goes all out on production, so whos to say WB He-Man may be a test shot on early paint schemes or it could be a test shot to check paint viability. If we don't have those test shots how would we know.

    I called Mattel, but I got no where. Im guessing because they dont want to relese any info on MOTU until after this announcment at NYCC. But if someone knows a person at Mattel.....or if anyone knows where there are copies of test shots.....

  11. #1411
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,054
    That's news to me. I don't know everything about how toys are produced, but I was always under the impression that a test shot is never painted. a test shot is just used to make sure the figure works as well as the steel molds. often times different colored plastics are used, I know that but I never knew test shots get painted
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  12. #1412
    Skeletors evil colorist Predabot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Sweden, Northern part
    Posts
    5,838
    A quick google-search will tell you that YES, it is indeed a practice used now and then, to test the paint as well.

    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=1

  13. #1413
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI USA
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    A quick google-search will tell you that YES, it is indeed a practice used now and then, to test the paint as well.

    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=1

    Yep. I have a few test shot figures from other lines that are partial paint or different paint schemes than the actual line figures. Anyway, it might not be what this figure is, but it is a possiblity.

  14. #1414
    KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    That's news to me. I don't know everything about how toys are produced, but I was always under the impression that a test shot is never painted. a test shot is just used to make sure the figure works as well as the steel molds. often times different colored plastics are used, I know that but I never knew test shots get painted

    there are a few levels to test shot. i would rather not type it all out but yes paint tests do take place during that point. and yes it is possible for brown he-man to be from that....but if that were the case it would only suggest that these figures were leaked out from the taiwan factory which wasnt as common back in the 80's as it is now. most back then went to factory workers kids and the trash.

    [

    THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

    http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

  15. #1415
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI USA
    Posts
    742
    Hey Guys. I got the photo from my brother today. But it looks like its just a normal he-man figure. Its hard to tell as its being held up and you cant really see what the head looks like. I gotta buy a new battery for my camera and I will post photos of the photo in the thread for the Universal studios. Maybe the video will be better, but from what I can tell it looks pretty normal. Ill seeif Ican get my brother to send me the figure he has too, might help. But looks like I was wrong guys. Sorry. I was sure, but it appears I am 0-2.lol

  16. #1416
    Heroic Warrior Trev-Or's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    150
    Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    Hey Guys. I got the photo from my brother today. But it looks like its just a normal he-man figure. Its hard to tell as its being held up and you cant really see what the head looks like. I gotta buy a new battery for my camera and I will post photos of the photo in the thread for the Universal studios. Maybe the video will be better, but from what I can tell it looks pretty normal. Ill seeif Ican get my brother to send me the figure he has too, might help. But looks like I was wrong guys. Sorry. I was sure, but it appears I am 0-2.lol
    DANG!!!

    That's really too bad MotuXmen....Oh well, it was exciting waiting for the pictures to arrive, and it made the thread go crazy for a while.
    Really disappointed to hear the bad news but we all appreciate your efforts. The mystery of Savage He-Man prevails again!!!!

  17. #1417
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI USA
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    DANG!!!

    That's really too bad MotuXmen....Oh well, it was exciting waiting for the pictures to arrive, and it made the thread go crazy for a while.
    Really disappointed to hear the bad news but we all appreciate your efforts. The mystery of Savage He-Man prevails again!!!!
    For now, he has won. But it is one battle, I will win the war, or die trying. I got some records from the IRS today regarding wonderbread so I will be working on those as well. Lets hope the answer is near.

  18. #1418
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    875
    You don't have a scanner? If you want mail the picture to me and I can scan it. Will be better than a picture of a picture.

  19. #1419
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Ludington, MI USA
    Posts
    742
    Quote Originally Posted by Class316 View Post
    You don't have a scanner? If you want mail the picture to me and I can scan it. Will be better than a picture of a picture.

    I dont have one right now. I am gonna get one soon. Ill get it scanned then. Thanks for the offer though.

  20. #1420
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,054
    Quote Originally Posted by Predabot View Post
    A quick google-search will tell you that YES, it is indeed a practice used now and then, to test the paint as well.

    http://64.233.183.104/search?q=cache...n&ct=clnk&cd=1
    Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    Yep. I have a few test shot figures from other lines that are partial paint or different paint schemes than the actual line figures. Anyway, it might not be what this figure is, but it is a possiblity.
    That's cool, I always love learning something new

    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    there are a few levels to test shot. i would rather not type it all out but yes paint tests do take place during that point. and yes it is possible for brown he-man to be from that....but if that were the case it would only suggest that these figures were leaked out from the taiwan factory which wasnt as common back in the 80's as it is now. most back then went to factory workers kids and the trash.

    [
    I just had a thought...In 2002 the first run of He-man figures had the cross symbol and later versions carried the new symbol as a running change. What if the brown hair was an early carded variant? I doubt that is the case, but it is a possibility to consider. I still believe that the bagged example owned by the Fowlers is genuine, I just don't see any reason to doubt it's validity even if the origin is unknown. I still hope the mystery is never solved, it gives us something to talk about.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  21. #1421
    KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by LORD FALLEN ELDOR View Post
    That's cool, I always love learning something new



    I just had a thought...In 2002 the first run of He-man figures had the cross symbol and later versions carried the new symbol as a running change. What if the brown hair was an early carded variant? I doubt that is the case, but it is a possibility to consider. I still believe that the bagged example owned by the Fowlers is genuine, I just don't see any reason to doubt it's validity even if the origin is unknown. I still hope the mystery is never solved, it gives us something to talk about.
    the reasons why the "bagged" brown he-man isnt proof is that 1: the baggie is taped shut 2: the coupon is included. why would you get a coupon with a redemption? 3: the coupon had a hole though the top center suggesting it was tagged to something. 4: people have also tried to suggest the coupon is what was used to redeem for the brown he-man. which is also false for the fact that it is clearly a coupon for any random figure they have from which ever of the 3 lines offered you pick for redemption.

    THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

    http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

  22. #1422
    Historian of Eternia LORD FALLEN ELDOR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Painesville, Ohio
    Posts
    15,054
    I didn't mean to question why others doubt it's validity, I just meant I my self believe it is genuine for the following reasons:

    The Fowlers obtained from Ebay before the WB became infamous, hey have had it since 1999 as far as i recall. I don't see reason in perpetrating a fraud of this kind in this "early" age of vintage MOTU collecting when not too many people even knew of this variant figure.

    The fact that the baggie is taped doesn't mean one thing or the other. I had several mail away promotions as a kid where the bag was taped and not heat sealed. The coupon being included might indicate that it was a give away and not a mail away. Also the coupon is a generic one, it most likely was used in Barbie and hot wheels promotions as well as MOTU ones. The fact that it DOESN'T scream WB backs up my original theory that WB He-Man is a give away promotional. In fact didn't somebody else say in this thread that the same coupon appeared with a Barbie product?

    I didn't know the coupon had a perforation on it, I don't remember the Fowler bros saying that? I'm not saying they didn't say that, just that I don't recall. You wouldn't happen to have a quote from them would you? I’m lazy and this thread is HUGE

    Yes I agree that the bagged example isn't "proof" but it is circumstantial evidence, and when talking about this figure circumstantial is about all we have. . .
    Last edited by LORD FALLEN ELDOR; April 16, 2008 at 10:00am.
    http://kotaku.com/why-fanboys-act-like-jerks-1563379006

    'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.' This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments" (Matthew 22:36-40).

  23. #1423
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    4,029
    Quote Originally Posted by galaxy warrior View Post
    the reasons why the "bagged" brown he-man isnt proof is that 1: the baggie is taped shut 2: the coupon is included. why would you get a coupon with a redemption? 3: the coupon had a hole though the top center suggesting it was tagged to something. 4: people have also tried to suggest the coupon is what was used to redeem for the brown he-man. which is also false for the fact that it is clearly a coupon for any random figure they have from which ever of the 3 lines offered you pick for redemption.
    In the 80's everything was taped shut, not too many heat seals as far as i remember, but even if it was heat sealed would that prove anything? I mean, anyone can go to the supermarket and heat seal a bag at the entrance. One thing that does not make much sense 2 me is, the cupon seems to have been hanged (fowlers one) so if this was an offer you got when you bought 3 why did it have the cupon inside? You buy 3 in the store, get the figure, and get the cupon to get another 1 free?

    I don't quite understand what i'm thinking

  24. #1424
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2001
    Location
    PA
    Posts
    739
    Didn't Nestle's run a promotion for free figures? I remember something on a Nestle's Quik bottle when I was little. I also remember this coupon, but I don't remember where I got it from.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

  25. #1425
    KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    3,191
    Quote Originally Posted by Toyjesus View Post
    Didn't Nestle's run a promotion for free figures? I remember something on a Nestle's Quik bottle when I was little. I also remember this coupon, but I don't remember where I got it from.
    nestle did run a promo but it was the same as what they ran with gobots grand prize a "full collection" then blah blah prizes. i think 3rd was for a single figure which clearly would be for an exclusive repaint.

    THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

    http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •