Page 62 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472 ... LastLast
Results 1,526 to 1,550 of 2458

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    hahahaha, the comic picture was meant as a joke, sorry, yes so are the boots, very fake
    The earlier comics were long since ignored by the time this variant supposedly came out, but if he needs a place in the bigger picture, why not. Sorry for the confusion friend.

Here is the crotch of my Powerless He-Man, doesn't seem to match yours, hope mine's not a fake , I'm always convinced that these are though, so...

Just because the mold is different than mine doesn't prove/disprove anything. I was just merely trying to find any trends that may exist with these figures. They could have been produced with multiple runs....who knows. Thanks for posting though!
    The belly button find was great though. I'd be curious to know if other people's WB He-Men have belly buttons.

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    Jawbridge,
    Where'd you get that image? I checked in the mini-comic "Battle in the Clouds" and that image doesn't exist. There is one similar with Mer-Man holding a boulder over He-Man's head and another one holding his chest armor but in both images He-Man has blond hair and maroon trunks and boots.
    Sorry, I didn't mean to not reply to you specifically Trev-Or, I just left it out by accident, very sorry. It is from "King of Castle Grayskull" on page five, but again, it was recolored just for fun. In the comic Skeletor takes Mer-Man to He-Man's home (a hut in the background) before he can "grab one of his super-power outfits." I think it's funny that Mer-Man got the drop on He-Man not once but twice in the older mini comics. I mentioned "Battle in the Clouds" to reference this other time, but thought this was the better picture. Poor poor Powerless He-Man , so tell me, is the name catching on yet... no, okay

Thanks guys, this site ROCKS!

hahahaha, the comic picture was meant as a joke, sorry, yes so are the boots, very fake
    The earlier comics were long since ignored by the time this variant supposedly came out, but if he needs a place in the bigger picture, why not. Sorry for the confusion friend.

Here is the crotch of my Powerless He-Man, doesn't seem to match yours, hope mine's not a fake , I'm always convinced that these are though, so...

Jawbridge,

Do you know if WB He-Man's leg bands are the same exact leg bands that are used on other Taiwan figures? I've always wanted to answer this question myself but I'm too afraid to pull my WB He-Man's legs out far enough so I can take a peek inside.
    It would also be interesting to know if certain leg bands correlate to certain years of production. Dunno if anyone out there in MOTU land has that kind of knowledge...

Quote Originally Posted by Trev-Or View Post
    Jawbridge,

Do you know if WB He-Man's leg bands are the same exact leg bands that are used on other Taiwan figures?
    What am I looking for, I've never compared bands before. Shade of black, texture, width, or how it passes through the pelvis? I see that it has a white power like residue that comes off when rubbed.

Well,

I have not been around these threads in a long time. It's interesting to see that this thread is still alive after all these years.

My brother and I still have our WB's/Savage Eye/Nestle/Brown Headed He-Man's at our parents house. (how sad?) Although David gets home far more often than I do.

The fact is that we both are still moving around a whole lot with the military.

I still can't believe that this figure is still a mystery. Maybe that is a good thing.

Well, Good luck Val, Josh, Peter, and Carlos in figuring this out. I doubt I am of any help!

Take Care!

What am I looking for, I've never compared bands before. Shade of black, texture, width, or how it passes through the pelvis? I see that it has a white power like residue that comes off when rubbed.
    yes, I think all those things you mentioned would be helpful in comparing leg bands.
    If you notice a trend please post!

what belly button? i see none in the pictures

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    what belly button? i see none in the pictures
    It's not a very well outlined belly button but it's definitely there. You can see it just above the belt buckle on the picture above. Doesn't look like much but
    its something that the other figures don't have.

really? i shall check that when i get home

I didn't really see a deference between the leg bands when looking at them. I did notice a thin band on a hard headed Skeletor (dragon blaster though maybe), it has no origin, but is stamped 1981 on the head and back. And a thicker band on a Mexican light boot Skeletor. That's the only real figure I have LOTS of to compare though. Almost all the other figures (from Taiwan or otherwise) have relatively similar bands, and I wouldn't attribute the very slight deference to anything other than age/play wear/temperature-humidity storage/whatever. There is a deal at AFA right now though, so I sent my WBHM to be graded, so no more poking and probing at that one. But I have a lead on one in pretty bad condition, so I'm thinking of getting it cheap and busting it apart. Plus a great dealer I know has an okay (C-7, 7.5) one that he will sell at a good price. That way I'll have a few to look at myself. It's hard to see color deferences in photos and all. I dunno, hopefully with a small investment, we can at least make it easier to spot a fake, as there are some good ones out there.

Okay then, I'll report back when I have one of these in my grubby little hands to look at. Thanks guys!!!

naa i dont think that belly button is anything, i been looking at 8 back figures , he-man figures and fakers i have, and every single one is different on that belly zone, if you look at this fake one, you'll also see a belly button

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    naa i dont think that belly button is anything, i been looking at 8 back figures , he-man figures and fakers i have, and every single one is different on that belly zone, if you look at this fake one, you'll also see a belly button...
    Yes, I do see the button on lots of other figs, but it might be rare on a skin tone body, which means it might help spot one if nothing else. At the least it's one more hoop to jump through to make a fake. I guess the point is not that it shows up on a fake or not, but if it is consistent in the real figure or not, that's all. If it was rare enough to only get one production run, then every figure should be relatively exact. And that would mean buyers could have a check list of things to look for. I know a lot of people who stay away from this figure because of knock offs, and that's a shame. I think as soon as this figure has a little provenance, it will become exponentially more sought after, and the fakes will get better and more numerous. I think any little thing we can do to crack down on jerks selling fakes will be appreciated by those who have a fond memory of this variant, but are worried about the legitimacy of their purchase.

cheers

Heroic Warrior
    Indeed mine DOES have a belly button....it's Taiwan 1981 & does not have any stamps in the neck , fyi.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Heroic Warrior Lieutenant Fowler's Avatar
    Actually,
    Darren's and mine collection just found a nice new home, in the laundry room! I made sure the 3-packs were kept in the closet. Bro, our room is no more, not even the display case is in there anymore!

As far as WB He-man and from what I have seen on this message therad, we are no close to solving this thing than 10 years ago when it first came to light.

Oh, first post in 2 years!
    Don't talk stupid!

Still, we thank you for going over the one you bought a long time ago to help try and sort this thing out.

Even though it's still just as valuable (if not more so) on the 2ndary market,
    I still love that even today people point at the one you and your brother won way back then and say that's how a Savage He-Man came packaged.

Heroic Warrior Lieutenant Fowler's Avatar
    If I had to do it over again, probably would not have bought it. One of the last few things we ever bought. He's been a tupperwear box for the last 8 years.
    Don't talk stupid!

Yeah, but you can probably sell 'em for more than you paid, so at least there's that, right?

Heroic Warrior
    Well if you are looking to sell let me know...

that thing you got is not "sellable" it's to known worldwide, you randomly search wonder bread he-man anywhere and the picture of your wonder bread comes up, not just a wonderbread heman, THE wonderbread he-man

just a question, what's the colour of the pin inside the neck? was that randomly coloured in other figures or was it always the same?

btw i was looking at my wonder bread he-man and i checked that the arms left and right are numbered "2" and "3" respectively, does this mean anything?
    Last edited by Arkangel; July 30, 2008 at 02:14pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Evil master of... stuff. He-Lurker's Avatar
    There's an interesting auction up right now where the seller states:

"Description: This figure was actually sent to me when I was a child in response to a letter I wrote to Mattel requesting one of the few figures I had not yet acquired. Although it may not be specifically a so-called "Wonder Bread" He-Man because it was not received through an official mail away program, I have listed it as one because it resembles the various examples of the "Wonder Bread" He-Man available for viewing online.

This figure is in Excellent (EX, C8) or better condition. Although there is currently some debate as to the exact accessories available with the "Wonder Bread" He-Man, it is 100% complete as originally received with all original parts and/or accessories, including the figure and battle axe, which is slightly shorter than other examples due to a manufacturing variation."

So he claims he received WB He-Man as a response from a letter he sent from Mattel. He could be full of you-know-what, but I thought it was interesting and should be noted.

KNOCK-OFF MESSIAH galaxy warrior's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by He-Lurker View Post
    The seller states:

"Description: This figure was actually sent to me when I was a child in response to a letter I wrote to Mattel requesting one of the few figures I had not yet acquired. Although it may not be specifically a so-called "Wonder Bread" He-Man because it was not received through an official mail away program, I have listed it as one because it resembles the various examples of the "Wonder Bread" He-Man available for viewing online.

This figure is in Excellent (EX, C8) or better condition. Although there is currently some debate as to the exact accessories available with the "Wonder Bread" He-Man, it is 100% complete as originally received with all original parts and/or accessories, including the figure and battle axe, which is slightly shorter than other examples due to a manufacturing variation."

So he claims he received WB He-Man as a response from a letter he sent from Mattel. He could be full of you-know-what, but I thought it was interesting and should be noted.

now theres an idea i could support. im not backing this guy by any means. but this is the most possible of options yet to be throw out there.

THE CONTINUING WORLD OF MOTU

http://cotuworld.blogspot.com/

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    Hey guys this ebay auction ended with no bids but I am in the process of a deal with the seller. Thought I'd ask all of you if you think this one is fake or real? Thanx Paul~

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=001
    ------------------------------------------------
    Thexxwatcherxx's Newly Chosen:
    Batman1180~The Godbeast~TheFallen~
    Sword-of-Grayskull~ChrisBryan~

Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    Hey guys this ebay auction ended with no bids but I am in the process of a deal with the seller. Thought I'd ask all of you if you think this one is fake or real? Thanx Paul~
    Everything checks out, EXCEPT ONE THING! Again (I commented on this figure before), and I'm by no means saying this is the case, but it looks like the case may have been cracked open/repaired on the side. And I think I've seen that exact figure in person before. The "small rub" in the hard plastic just doesn't make a lot of sense, and looks more like a finger print in super glue. I would ask the seller to take more pictures of the arms (both inside the arms piece and the cap on the body, as well as the seal on both sides). Now the problem with this is, the seller could easily switch the arms now that's it's been pointed out (which actually seems to be the case, because it's missing a slight flaw on the right arm that it had before). But if that's the same figure, you can still tell that the two halves of the body don't fit as well as they should. It also has the exact same mark on the back, in the exact same spot, which we determined it to be super glue finger print on the figure we examined. I think the owner got a refund, or made a deal with the guy, but did sent it back for sure. When he sent it back, he gave the seller all the reasons why, so the arms could have easily been switched.

I would ask to see the item in person first, before purchase, if that could worked out. Close inspection of the body mold is the only thing that would satisfy my serious doubts about that figure.

All that being said, it still seems to be real, just repaired, the head, boots, and pelvis checked out on the one we saw, it had just been cracked open, nothing else (as far as we could tell). So unless somebody ruined a black boot/belt Fist-O, then he is authentic but fixed w/ an alternate body top. And if it isn't the same figure, and it is just a "rub" on hard plastic(?), then that's a really nice WBHM, so it warrants looking into. But serious cash for a repaired figure (which AFA will not even touch by the way) is crazy talk, so please do yourself a favor, and be very cautious.

Edit: added picture for ease of view, it's the link below:

detail of the body case
    Last edited by Jawbridge; August 14, 2008 at 11:00am. Reason: added reference image
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=001

Id be very cautious on this one. If this was indeed something he recieved from Mattel there should have been sometype of letter included. And from what I am reading it looks like he asked mattel specifically for a wonderbread he-man, and this is what they sent him. If thats the case then that part is a lie. As Mattel has never acknoldge knowing about that figure. If he wrote ands asked for a he-man figure becuase he didn have one, I am still not sure they would have sent one. As Mattel had he-man figures in just about every store at that point.

Im just not sold on the story. The figure may be legit. I would just need more proof about the origin.

Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    Id be very cautious on this one. If this was indeed something he recieved from Mattel there should have been sometype of letter included...
    I don't think this is the guy that claimed he got it from Mattel, he just said it was from his personal collection...

The seller that said he asked for a figure "he didn't have" is "dokta-p", and the auction isn't over so it can't be posted here, sorry.

But about that... I don't see why a company would make a special figure just for the purpose of sending them to random kids that asked for a figure, and if they did, why would it not be somebody other than he-man, because you more than likely already have a he-man figure, so it doesn't serve that purpose. And I really don't see them making an exclusive production run for this, that's a little expensive, especially seeing that it's not necessary.

I'm still leaning toward a single large production run error, were the character was just off from the model they were given, so they were not sold in stores, and they were quickly corrected. People (employees) would need something to calm kids down at events (no particular event, in store promo, or larger ones too), and they had those sitting around, and they were like, "hey, this would be good to give out, we can't do anything else w/ them." And perhaps some of them were even nice enough to scrounge up some weapons, and staple it up in a bag to be more "official."

This could just as easily explain why somebody at mattel just started getting rid of them for PR to the people writing in with complaints or whatever, and they just started sending them through the mail as well, in fact, it explains just about every claim to date, so that's a nice little package if you think about it.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.