Page 63 of 99 FirstFirst ... 1353616263646573 ... LastLast
Results 1,551 to 1,575 of 2454

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jawbridge View Post
    I don't think this is the guy that claimed he got it from Mattel, he just said it was from his personal collection...

The seller that said he asked for a figure "he didn't have" is "dokta-p", and the auction isn't over so it can't be posted here, sorry.

But about that... I don't see why a company would make a special figure just for the purpose of sending them to random kids that asked for a figure, and if they did, why would it not be somebody other than he-man, because you more than likely already have a he-man figure, so it doesn't serve that purpose. And I really don't see them making an exclusive production run for this, that's a little expensive, especially seeing that it's not necessary.

I'm still leaning toward a single large production run error, were the character was just off from the model they were given, so they were not sold in stores, and they were quickly corrected. People (employees) would need something to calm kids down at events (no particular event, in store promo, or larger ones too), and they had those sitting around, and they were like, "hey, this would be good to give out, we can't do anything else w/ them." And perhaps some of them were even nice enough to scrounge up some weapons, and staple it up in a bag to be more "official."

This could just as easily explain why somebody at mattel just started getting rid of them for PR to the people writing in with complaints or whatever, and they just started sending them through the mail as well, in fact, it explains just about every claim to date, so that's a nice little package if you think about it.

The description posted earlier was that of the guy who said mattel sent it to him, so thats what Iwas commenting on. its like two or three posts above mine.

Anyway,

Your idea sounds good. It makes sense. But there is no way to prove or disprove it. Thats the problem with a lot of these claims. If the figure was a WB exclusive eventually someone will be able to prove that. Or disprove it. I just dont like to speculate becuase unfortunatly there are those people that take that stuff and run with it claiming its true, or using it as some story to help sell things. To me, until someone proves, or disproves the wonderbread theroy thats the one i am going with. And I am still working on doing just that. And then go from there. To me that seems like a better more systimatic way to do this. And I have not seen enough proof either way, on any ideas. There is a lot of conjecture and a lot of people that claim to know the truth, but with out actual proof its just an idea. It doesnt matter if you heard it from your moms friend or your mom or anything like that, ya know what I mean. People get confused, things change stuff like that.

Im not trying to discount anyones stories here, or say any one is wrong, or right, just that until there is proof it doesnt matter. We do need starting points i understand that. But I think unless you have a good real lead or solid info it just hurts the chances of finding what the real story is by coming up with alternate ideas, especially if you dont follow them up and do some real research.

JawBridge---I am not trying to be negative toward you, or mean, or call you out specifically....and i think your idea is as good as any we have seen to date. I just think its conture productive to keep geussing with out research..thats all. No hard feelings?

I have also continued the research I started a few months ago, however I have not gotten any new info. Ive gotten a few leads, most of which have not panned out thus far. I have some more to follow up on, so lets hope they have better info!

As for the tax records I got, i still have not even come close to finishing those up. I got tired of reading thru them a bit back and have put them on the back burner. Iwill get back to them soon.

another shot in the dark:

could this figure also be like a give away to employees? You know the sort of thing big companies do at christmas and stuff, it would require no more than a small plastic bag.

"Calm like a bomb." thexxwatcherxx's Avatar
    Hey THanx again Jawbridge, I appreciate your help. I probably will pass on the figure as a few red flags have been brought to my attention. Thanx again and if anyone has an extra WB I am in the merket for one
    ------------------------------------------------
    Thexxwatcherxx's Newly Chosen:
    Batman1180~The Godbeast~TheFallen~
    Sword-of-Grayskull~ChrisBryan~

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by motuxmen View Post
    The description posted earlier was that of the guy who said mattel sent it to him, so thats what I was commenting on. its like two or three posts above mine...
    Oh werd buddy, my bad, I was relating to the one in your quote-link-thingy, I just got confused. Well, that makes two then that have recently said that, so that does add to the validity you think? And I'll never have hard feelings, you be my hommie! Honestly it comes from when I used to work at TRU, I saw vendors give out random toys all the time. But as far as finding proof on the origin, I hope everybody feels the same way you do. Nothing is true until proven. I don't think I have any answers, I just like to talk it out sometimes, and I like to hear ideas, but hope people aren't running with them.

Good luck on your research! Sounds like it could take a bit of work.

Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    Hey THanx again Jawbridge, I appreciate your help. I probably will pass on the figure as a few red flags have been brought to my attention
    You are most welcome! And I hope you find one eventually. What were the other red flags, if you don't mind me asking. I understand if it's none of my business, or doesn't belong here on the boards. Just curious is all. Thanks!

All in all, I don't mind it being a mystery, so I'm not too worried about it. I'm more worried about all the people faking the figure, that is actually a growing concern of mine. I just wish people would stop. I've seen a few fakes recently, so it's getting out of hand.

cheers guys
    Last edited by Jawbridge; August 14, 2008 at 03:53pm.
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Quote Originally Posted by thexxwatcherxx View Post
    Hey guys this ebay auction ended with no bids but I am in the process of a deal with the seller. Thought I'd ask all of you if you think this one is fake or real? Thanx Paul~

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA:IT&ih=001
    The glossy paint job and slop around the back of the neck is a dead giveaway that it's a custom.

Quote Originally Posted by hawggie View Post
    The glossy paint job and slop around the back of the neck is a dead giveaway that it's a custom.
    i'm afraid that you are right, also, it seems that in the same area you can see the little waves caused by excess of paint aswell as tiny brush hair left in there

but to be honest the forehead hair does scream custom aswell:

Door with dental plan. Jawbridge's Avatar
    Sweet! I'm glad we got people like hawggie and Arkangel on here. I really hate all the fakes, and you guys are on it!

Mad props for the help!
    Pop Culture Shock - Filmation Statues (top 5 most wanted): Sorceress, Skeletor, Man-E-Faces, Mer-Man and Two-Bad! AND, hurry up with Evil Lynn, her reveal is what got me started.

Heroic Warrior

look at the neck

the irregulaties on the neck joint look to me like it has been cut or reatached at some point.

adam

Well the seller got mad at me and said the deal was consuimng too much of his time. Deal's off. I kinda feel bad but I just want an authentic figure if I am willing to shell out that kinda money. I want to Thank Jawbridge, stuecketor, Arkangel, and hawggie. Thanx for the help. I am looking at another WB so I may call to you guys again, lol.

To Jawbridge, the red flags were pretty much the things that had been pointed out, nothing new. It's perfectly ok for you to ask tho. I'm feeling pretty down as I was really looking forward to getting a WB he-man, Paul~

If a dealer can't understand the need to prove the authenticity of the product,
    especially if they are pimping this figure as being the rare Savage He-Man,
    then you're better off not buying it.

Any reputable seller will take the time to answer your questions, and quell any concern about the product.
    If not, then Buyer Beware!

Thanx Val, words of Knowledge to live by. I think as buyers for this very rare figure, we feel limited by how many are available for sale at a time which are not many and the desire to have this very cool figure which over rides our common sense. Atleast that's the way it is for me. You get caught up in the hype.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    If a dealer can't understand the need to prove the authenticity of the product,
    especially if they are pimping this figure as being the rare Savage He-Man,
    then you're better off not buying it.

Any reputable seller will take the time to answer your questions, and quell any concern about the product.
    If not, then Buyer Beware!
    Yea definitly.

I went thru this with a few sellers and if I am about to plop down my hard earned money and you cant answer my simple question. Hey its ebay the item will be on again in minutes by a different seller. So yea if a seller isnt helping you out then he might be hiding something. That should send up a flag right away.
    http://Motu.com.co
    Is is now up and live please check it out and spread the word please!!!

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone
    My feedback threadhttp://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...or-Brian-Ozone

This is I think the sadest record for a "wonder bread" or "savage" , or "whatever his name is" He-man : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=370070066884

I think it was a real one this is why the final price was so high. It was "made in taiwan" , and the inside of the trunk is brown so means this one is legit.

I'm affraid other sellers base their prices on this one (I even saw a seller who talked about this auction in his own !)

Personnaly I'm not interested in it , because it means a lot of money for such an action figure which is not recognized by Mattel as a true MOTU piece.
    Musclor

http://www.maitresdelunivers.org aka http://www.musclor.fr.st : open!!!

Good deals with : Markatisu , Bigdaddy51200 , Hopebrady , Zodak74 , Lady Angora , 10incher

Click here to watch my feedbacks

Co-Creator of the NV
    I was wondering if someone could compile all we know about this figure and paste have a mod edit it into the first post. When people have questions about the figure, it's all good and well to point someone here, but there are over 1500 posts! That's a nightmare to slog through. So I think it would make sense to do an FAQ or sorts that is editied into the first post.

For instance, I know of the rumor it was supposed to be Conan toys but for various reasons they had to use them for something else and that led to him being a give away with wonderbread. I've heard that Mattel has no record of this and naturally there are theories as to what could be the case if they are correct (so maybe it's a bootleg) or why they might mislead us (probably difficult to find records for stuff from that era, so it could've simply been lost). I think it'd be good to have all these theories up in on place, with some of the evidence that supports them.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Latveria View Post
    I was wondering if someone could compile all we know about this figure and paste have a mod edit it into the first post. When people have questions about the figure, it's all good and well to point someone here, but there are over 1500 posts! That's a nightmare to slog through. So I think it would make sense to do an FAQ or sorts that is editied into the first post.

For instance, I know of the rumor it was supposed to be Conan toys but for various reasons they had to use them for something else and that led to him being a give away with wonderbread. I've heard that Mattel has no record of this and naturally there are theories as to what could be the case if they are correct (so maybe it's a bootleg) or why they might mislead us (probably difficult to find records for stuff from that era, so it could've simply been lost). I think it'd be good to have all these theories up in on place, with some of the evidence that supports them.
    i tried to do that for a while, gather the facts against and in favour of the authenticity of this figure. Still can't make up my mind ... what's important is that i have one and i love it!

Someone got a steal on this. Mainly because the seller forgot to lift his US only shipping requirement. He thought that the had, but he didn't and it was too late to modify the auction by the time I saw because there was only 12 hours left. I offered him $125 to just shut the auction down. His loss and someone else's gain....

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tab%3DWatching

lol that was actually a real STEAL heehh best i've seen so far, but the pics are inconclusive for me, can't tell if it's the real deal or not, although the body seems to have that yellow tone characteristic of wb he-man

Heroic Ruler of Nothing KidRandor's Avatar
    Although I love the idea of the wonder bread he man, I am very disappointed that there are so many people out there that are trying to sell fakes. For example, the guy who got angry about too many questions being asked and said the deal was too time consuming. I say BOOHOO, if you cannot provide authenticity then why shouldn't i report you to ebay for misrepresenting your items. I recently had a seller email me additional photos of a prototype spikor to see if he actually had the item in hand and to also see specific details up close. He was glad to do so and proved to be legit. Your better off dealing with actual collectors who are known on the boards or elsewhere. Besides, why would a guy at a flea market be selling a WB Heman for $300. He should be selling it for $3 because he has no idea what it is. That is a real STEAL. That is when you know you struck a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    another shot in the dark:

could this figure also be like a give away to employees? You know the sort of thing big companies do at christmas and stuff, it would require no more than a small plastic bag.
    I had him as a kid and i didnt work for them.

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone

Quote Originally Posted by brianatarms View Post
    I had him as a kid and i didnt work for them.
    cool, still doesn't rule out the chance of that being the case, also, in a scale of 1 to 10 how good do you remember owning it? Any specific situation or place you remember having him?

What ever happened to that bagged one those brothers had with the paper insert in the bag? Was it ever opened? I cant go through 63 pages here to see if there was further developments on it.

Quote Originally Posted by xBBestx View Post
    What ever happened to that bagged one those brothers had with the paper insert in the bag? Was it ever opened? I cant go through 63 pages here to see if there was further developments on it.
    Here you go:

Awesome arkangel! Thanks for reposting that. So has the legitimacy of this ever been proven? It seems odd to me that the bag looks really long but folded over, and that paper that is included looks to be from a tear away pad that would be in store, why throw another one in with the bagged figure if you have already ordered one. And if its from 82-83 why would they make a brown haired heman figure as the mail away when there was already a blonde heman by that time, and other figures they could have sent out.

My mind is blown that this mystery can't be solved... How in this many years can there not be more then one person with a concrete story.

So has the legitimacy of this ever been proven?
    Over one thousand threads with 6 years upon them and the answer is still NO, and honestly i don't believe that at this point we will be able to BELIEVE in anything or whatsoever people / companies say. We need either hard proof or a time machine, But even with a time machine, where to look for? heheh

It seems odd to me that the bag looks really long but folded over, and that paper that is included looks to be from a tear away pad that would be in store, why throw another one in with the bagged figure if you have already ordered one.
    The flyer suggests that it was hanged before (see hang hole), but then when you think about it, have you ever seen a coupon being used as a hanger? Besides, to hold the bag it would have staples or at least staple holes/marks. So there is some inconsistency in here.

My mind is blown that this mystery can't be solved... How in this many years can there not be more then one person with a concrete story.
    That is somewhat right, there is no one with hard evidence, but what hard evidence do you need? A kid's photo with wb he-man? On the other hand there are people in here that say they had the figure and that it was a mail away figure in the early 80's ...

Like i said before, i can even settle my mind with the Zodiac Killer, but when it comes to wb he-man, i CANNOT make up my mind

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    cool, still doesn't rule out the chance of that being the case, also, in a scale of 1 to 10 how good do you remember owning it? Any specific situation or place you remember having him?
    Yo. Yo.

Dude its like a 50. I had this figure as a kid. Mygrandmother gave him to me. She always sent away for things. So I strongly believe he was a mail away.

Follow me on Twitter
    BrianOzone