Page 80 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290 ... LastLast
Results 1,976 to 2,000 of 2454

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

  1. #1976
    Heroic Warrior Strong-Dar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    284
    There are pictures of this figure on grayskullmuseum.com, two in fact so this figure must exist?

  2. #1977
    Court Magician Jayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Good ol' South Carolina
    Posts
    49
    Are they photos of the figure, ive seen those, or are they actually vintage photos with kids playing with them.
    "Were does he get those wonderful toys.....Oh, eBay!

  3. #1978
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dar View Post
    There are pictures of this figure on grayskullmuseum.com, two in fact so this figure must exist?
    The figure does exist, official or not, it was produced somewhere in time, that is sadly all we know. Over the years it's unique features make it hard to fake, i always like to point out these:









    And there's more, you can find the pics in here.

  4. #1979
    Court Magician Jayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Good ol' South Carolina
    Posts
    49
    Anyone seen the lot on eBay with a savage he-man. It ends in three hours!!!!!! It's posted in the marketplace.
    "Were does he get those wonderful toys.....Oh, eBay!

  5. #1980
    Council Elder Tallstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2001
    Location
    In support of Joe Amato & the Meteorbs
    Posts
    27,864
    This could be the big break in solving the mystery, because the seller appears to be clueless and thus isn't influenced by all the stuff posted about this figure over the years. Maybe he/she knows where the figure originally came from. (or maybe it's fake)

  6. #1981
    Court Magician Jayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Good ol' South Carolina
    Posts
    49
    I did e-mail him and ask him if he has any info on it or if it looks like its been repainted. I'll let you know what he says.
    "Were does he get those wonderful toys.....Oh, eBay!

  7. #1982
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Posts
    776
    it might just be me, but the colors on that thing look off!! The boots look very much like Black Sharpie marker (they have a weird color to them). And seeing the words Sold As Is in the description makes me think twice... Personally too risky for me to shoot for it. No close up pictures either... Good luck if someone is going for it!

  8. #1983
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    29,462
    seller: toysandtoyz
    Location: Milltown, NJ, United States
    Makes me wonder if it's Main Street Comics and Toys. Milltown's tiny!

    Regardless, the eBay seller sells toys for a living. I imagine they have some idea of what they sell.
    He even has a loose Eternia up for sale with misc pieces that he seems to know something about.

    It unfortunately doesn't any questions, even if it's not a custom/fake. So I don't see this as the "big break" as Tally described.
    The only way to answer the questions is to know it's real, can contact the original owner of it, know that's how the figure originally came (in case in the past 10 years an owner of this figure saw Savage online and matched the armor as depicted), and hopefully find some documentation for that bugger!
    *shrugs* Who knows?

  9. #1984
    Court Magician Jayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Good ol' South Carolina
    Posts
    49
    Still haven't heard back from the seller of this figure yet. But I did ask him if had been painted. The boots do look like you can see some of the original maroon color thru the black.

    Also i need to clarify my earlier post, i know there are pictures of the Savage He-man but it is pictures of the figure only lying on a table. I want to see old photos of kids actually playing with the figure back in the 1980's. I have lots of old chirstmas photos with me playing with my different He-man figures, just wondering if anybody has one with a savage he-man in it.
    "Were does he get those wonderful toys.....Oh, eBay!

  10. #1985
    Color'licious! JVS3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2000
    Location
    Columbus, Ohio
    Posts
    29,462
    Given some of the feedback he's received discussed in the marketplace thread, I'm now very weary of that particular auction.

  11. #1986
    Heroic Warrior Strong-Dar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    The figure does exist, official or not, it was produced somewhere in time, that is sadly all we know. Over the years it's unique features make it hard to fake, i always like to point out these:

    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...runobliss3.jpg

    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...runobliss9.jpg

    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...runobliss5.jpg

    http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...unobliss12.jpg

    And there's more, you can find the pics in here.
    So officially, this figure is an offical Masters of the Universe Figure, it's just a basic custom then?
    Last edited by Strong-Dar; April 19, 2011 at 03:22pm.

  12. #1987
    Heroic Warrior mahuti's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    284
    The one in the auction? Probably a custom. Savage He-man though... is more than a custom (IMHO)
    Good Trader List:
    -Maul, tattoojunkie74, Chuck Bowlz

  13. #1988
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by Strong-Dar View Post
    So officially, this figure is an offical Masters of the Universe Figure, it's just a basic custom then?
    It's like, it sure looks like an official MOTU figure, it is marked as so, it's unique features suggest that it was produced by the same manufacturer at some point in time.

    I'm gonna go ahead and say you can't just fake this figure over and over with this level of detail, the many samples showing up now and then in random collections prove to be very consistent with each other. Those tell tell signs like i mentioned above, were present in all 3 of my savage he-man figures. Bought them over the years from different sources.

  14. #1989
    Heroic Warrior Strong-Dar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    It's like, it sure looks like an official MOTU figure, it is marked as so, it's unique features suggest that it was produced by the same manufacturer at some point in time.

    I'm gonna go ahead and say you can't just fake this figure over and over with this level of detail, the many samples showing up now and then in random collections prove to be very consistent with each other. Those tell tell signs like i mentioned above, were present in all 3 of my savage he-man figures. Bought them over the years from different sources.
    Yes, it does seem that way doesn't it. I would love to get my hands on one regardless of what it's status is.

  15. #1990
    Heroic Warrior miscus555's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2000
    Posts
    697
    i have a question, for you guys who didn't actually own WB HM when you were a kid, when did you first purchase one or hear news about it? was it something you stumbled on at a toy show or a garage sale? or maybe ebay? was the WB HM found by collectors in the market before ebay was established?
    LOOKING for these MOTU Full Cardbacks:
    -Skeletor w/"original" promo on front
    -Man E Faces w/ "extra weapons" promo on front
    -Trap Jaw w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    -Tri Klops w/o Ring Promo on front & newer figures pictured on back
    & Mantisaur Empty Box (USA) Version

  16. #1991
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,972
    Quote Originally Posted by miscus555 View Post
    i have a question, for you guys who didn't actually own WB HM when you were a kid, when did you first purchase one or hear news about it? was it something you stumbled on at a toy show or a garage sale? or maybe ebay? was the WB HM found by collectors in the market before ebay was established?
    I'll quote you to reply with another quote

    Quote Originally Posted by TIRPITZ View Post
    "Savage He-Man" is just a nickname those guys at Grayskullmuseum used to give to this figure. Not an official name of course.

    But is there any official name for this figure ?

    I don't believe in the Wonderbread theory.
    I got mine from an old lady at the Chicago-area Kane County toy show back in 1996 or 1997... for 50 cents. This lady was selling a lots of collectible dolls at the time, many Barbies and Mattel fashion dolls, and she basically told me that she got a bunch of these He-Man years ealier from Mattel (from a Mattel outlet or from Mattel employees maybe, she didn't specify), but that the figures came to her loose, with no accessories or packaging. I suspect she got them for free, because she was basically giving them away, and she had no interest in MOTU whatsoever (but who had in 1996?! ).

    Anyway, my intimate belief regarding this figure is that somebody in the overseas plants mistakenly produced a wrong colored run of He-Man figure, and that Mattel, for whatever reason, didn't destroy them immediatly and got rid of them or gave them away to their employees or other collaborators...
    This is just my theory, but that would explain why there is no record at Mattel for that figure. If it was a Wonderbread promotional item, Mattel would have kept records for sure.

  17. #1992
    Heroic Warrior rougewelder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Dearborn, MI
    Posts
    1,409
    The first one I saw was at a toy show in the mid 90's. My best friend and I were just getting into MOTU and he found a dead mint WB He-Man for $0.50 (yes 50 cents) and he still has it. It wasn't until years later (2002) when I got serious about MOTU and knew what it was and what it is worth. We just didn't know what it was at the time, this was around 1995/96, pre Ebay and He-Man.org, and all we relied on was garage sales and flea markets to get our figures...you know, the old days. We never did research on the internet or magazines because it was just some "weird" figure we picked up but we were both just trying to build a complete set to put away for the future, who would have thought it would become the biggest obsession for me to have all of the figures I have in my ever growing collection. My friend still has the figure today, even though he no longer collects MOTU and still refuses to sell it to me for any price. I am happy with the 2 that I have though.
    ----------------------------------------------
    MY Collection: (some of it)
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/album.php?u=14643

  18. #1993
    Heroic Warrior Strong-Dar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    284
    Quote Originally Posted by rougewelder View Post
    The first one I saw was at a toy show in the mid 90's. My best friend and I were just getting into MOTU and he found a dead mint WB He-Man for $0.50 (yes 50 cents) and he still has it. It wasn't until years later (2002) when I got serious about MOTU and knew what it was and what it is worth. We just didn't know what it was at the time, this was around 1995/96, pre Ebay and He-Man.org, and all we relied on was garage sales and flea markets to get our figures...you know, the old days. We never did research on the internet or magazines because it was just some "weird" figure we picked up but we were both just trying to build a complete set to put away for the future, who would have thought it would become the biggest obsession for me to have all of the figures I have in my ever growing collection. My friend still has the figure today, even though he no longer collects MOTU and still refuses to sell it to me for any price. I am happy with the 2 that I have though.
    You are lucky, I only want one, LOL!. I've been looking on ebay for a little while and have not found one yet. It's in my want list if anyone wants to sell one of theirs.

  19. #1994
    Heroic Warrior Wundar_Grayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    370

    Wun-Dar the Savage He-Man Questions

    I have been a Masters of the Universe fan for a while, but I have never known to much about Wun-Dar. I have his Classics figure, and one day will have his Vintage figure. It is safe to say I am a Wun-Dar fan, and I want to know as much as possible about him.

    What I want to know is how exactly did Wun-Dar come about? Was he ever in any of the mini comics? How did someone actually get his action figure back in the day?

    Any kind of info on the Origins of Wun-Dar would be greatly appreciated.

  20. #1995
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Arkangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Portugal
    Posts
    3,972
    Hey and Welcome, the origin of this figure is not known, the best (or at least the biggest) source of information you can have on this figure is right here on the forums, i just hope you have the time to read a 9 year thread

    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=24134

    There's also a video catching up most of the content, you can find it on the last pages of that thread

  21. #1996
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68

    It is Real!

    I know this is my first post, but I had one back in Feb. 2011, and I sold it on Ebay.

    I aquired a huge collection from a lady in Cincinnati Ohio. When I arrived to her house, she literally had just pulled these boxes out of her attic, and they were still taped shut. On the tape she had wrote "Brandons Toys 1989". Hence Brandon is her son, and that she had stored them back in 1989.

    Long story short, in the one box there was a bag of misc pieces, and low and behold there was a Savage Heman. I was shocked, and really pumped at the same time. She had told me that her son sent away for that figure, thats why there was no cardback with it. All the other figures she had still had the card back.

    Anyways, I sold the Figure on ebay back in March for, I believe $350ish.

    Please remeber this lady was in her late 60's and I can forsee no reason why this was a custom, or that she would lie. It was very easy to tell that it was not painted. It was legit.

    When I get off work tonight, I am positive i still ahve the pictures. I will list them later. I dont want the community to not welcome me with open arms since I am a Noob.

    Thanks
    Devon
    Last edited by d_alex4176; April 29, 2011 at 02:18pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  22. #1997
    Widget
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by d_alex4176 View Post
    I know this is my first post, but I had one back in Feb. 2011, and I sold it on Ebay.

    I aquired a huge collection from a lady in Cincinnati Ohio. When I arrived to her house, she literally had just pulled these boxes out of her attic, and they were still taped shut. On the tape she had wrote "Brandons Toys 1989". Hence Brandon is her son, and that she had stored them back in 1989.

    Long story short, in the one box there was a bag of misc pieces, and low and behold there was a Savage Heman. I was shocked, and really pumped at the same time. She had told me that her son sent away for that figure, thats why there was no cardback with it. All the other figures she had still had the card back.

    Anyways, I sold the Figure on ebay back in March for, I believe $350ish.

    Please remeber this lady was in her late 60's and I can forsee no reason why this was a custom, or that she would lie. It was very easy to tell that it was not painted. It was legit.

    When I get off work tonight, I am positive i still ahve the pictures. I will list them later. I dont want the community to not welcome me with open arms since I am a Noob.

    Thanks
    Devon

    Maybe you could contact the lady to have her ask her son if he remembers correctly how he received the figure and what items it came with?

  23. #1998

  24. #1999
    Court Magician
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    68
    Quote Originally Posted by jacuzi View Post
    Maybe you could contact the lady to have her ask her son if he remembers correctly how he received the figure and what items it came with?
    I can try to contact her, if I still have her number. I bought the stuff off a local classified, and not sure I still have it.

    I will tell you this. I bought 80 figures from her, and every figure was in a bag with the weapons, and card backs. She said her son kept all of the acces. and was very maticulous (sp?) about the toys.

    Seeing how he was so serious about keeping all the pieces, Im not sure there was any thing that came with him???

    Pics still to come, im still at work.

    Here is the pics that used to sell him on Ebay.

    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=DSC00828.jpg

    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=DSC00829.jpg

    Oh yes, and my offical entrance to the forum. This is me in my finest Sunday Suit. LOL

    http://s247.photobucket.com/albums/g...t=untitled.jpg
    Last edited by d_alex4176; April 29, 2011 at 10:29pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  25. #2000
    Heroic Warrior Wundar_Grayskull's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    370
    O.K., so even if Savage He-Man was originally fake or a custom, I am still a fan. But the thing I don't understand is there is an eBay listing where he is being sold for an very big amount of money. In the listing it states that the figure is AFA 80. If it was officially AFA'd, and it states the manufacturer is Mattel. How is that, if he never truly existed from Mattel?

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •