Page 82 of 98 FirstFirst ... 3272808182838492 ... LastLast
Results 2,026 to 2,050 of 2450

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Does anyone know the guy selling the ungraded one with the ax on ebay? Is he a member here? I think he has listed it before with the same pictures, i just get really nervous before i bid on one if its not from a member here
    "Were does he get those wonderful toys.....Oh, eBay!

Heroic Warrior skeletorinzecloset's Avatar
    well, i've been answered it's a replica based on an 1981 heman; i dunno what to do even it seems the item has been repainted with care.

well, if it was me, i'd buy it, but only if it didnt cost too much, i'd pay up to 20 for a custom, hard to tell tho! atleast the seller let you know it isnt real!

Heroic Warrior skeletorinzecloset's Avatar
    Ok thanks for your advice.

Widget

Just found Savage He-Man in childhood collection!

Hey Everyone-
    I just found this site 2 days ago and I'm glad I did - I'll try to make a long story somewhat short. I do want to contribute as much
    detail as possible, because of all the random skeptics on the subject and so you all know my story is legit. It looks like so many of you have done so much research that I think my first hand account will confirm a few things with the conspiracy theorists out there. I will say up front, I am one of those that has no idea how I got this figure (I was 3 when it came out and my brother was 7). Here we go....

I recently purchased a house and always promised my parents I'd take all of my toys and crap out of their house when I had a house to store
    them. Slowly, they have been giving me bags and boxes with GI Joe, He-Man, Transformers, etc.
    I've really been amazed to see what some of the GI Joe figures are going for on Ebay (I found a mint Starduster for example).
    When I got to the mess that was the He-Man collection, I just left it in a garbage bag in the garage to deal with later. Well, on Saturday I started to go through the bag so I could see what was potentially worth selling on Ebay. I pulled a few guys out of the bag and started to clean them, putting
    the others back for later - I did notice a "Blue He-Man", "He-Man with yellow skin", and "Brown Haired He-Man." I remembered them vaguely and
    wondered to myself what the heck was that Brown Haired one?

Later that day when out with my fiance shopping, I started looking up MOTU auctions on Ebay (It was lucky I had alot of time to kill waiting for her).
    Anyway, I came across an auction for Savage he-man AFA / UKG GRADED for $995!

I was shocked that any figure was selling for that much,let alone even $50. Immediately I thought to myself, holy ****, I have that figure!
    I then googled the figure and started reading this forum/thread from 2002 on.
    Pretty amazing how long this thread has gone and all of the interest around this figure.
    I also read that blog from 2008 which had plenty of good info and watched the Youtube video (guy with the accent).
    When finally arriving home that night, it was confirmed that I had "Savage He-Man." I pulled him out of the garbage bag and he was definitley in played with condition.
    It looks like my brother or I drew "blood" on his back and gave him a black eye. I actually think we used to mix those figures with WWF, which probably explains that. The pics as he was first found will be posted below.

Sorry for all the pointless detail, but I think after all the research everyone has done and all the weird skepticism surrounding this
    figure, I wanted you to all know my story is totally legit. I dont' understand people that think this figure was made up at some point. I'm sure
    there are *******s out there making fakes or whatever, but this figure was defintiely part of my childhood collection.

A few notes:
    -I called my mom and first asked her what she remembers - she had always helped me with mail in freebies , i.e, Starduster, Sgt. Slaughter,
    Annakin Skywalker, Emporer Palpatine, etc. She also even helped me enter a contest to come up with a new He-Man character. I remember that
    you had to come up with a name and idea for the character and draw it. I remember making one that had a place to put a battery in the arm, so it moved. He basically looked like Trapjaw, but had this mechanical arm that actually had power (maybe some of you guys remember this).
    Unfortunately, she too has no idea how we got the figure and the odd thing is i'm about 99% sure we NEVER had Savage growing up. It is possible that she bought the bread for us just to get the promotion though.
    I also sent a pic of the figure to my brother (now 37) without any context and just said "do you remember this figure." His only response was "that is either
    a generic He-man or the real He-man" I dont' think my brother has looked at a MOTU figure in 25 years.

UPDATE: before posting this, I decided to go back to my parents house on Sunday to see if there were anymore MOTU figures. My mom said there were iprobably some more mixed with WWF and NWA wrestling figures. I emptied the first bag and found a couple guys from MOTU. I then got to the bottom of the 2nd bag and next to Coco B. Ware's parrot was the head of ANOTHER SAVAGE HE-MAN! Crazy - I then found his broken arm too. I went back home and opened my MOTU garbage bag again and pulled out the rest of my 2nd Savage He-Man. It appeared that one of his arms was another figures (I have pics of this). I took pics of both figures to post here.

So, finding a 2nd Savage He-Man probably raises some questions I guess. Final thoughts:
    1. I highly doubt my mother bought Wonder Bread, but it's possible if there was a promo
    2. Would there be a limit of (1) per household?
    3. My brother and I have NO CLUE where they came from - maybe we traded for one or both, not sure.
    4. Oddly and ironically, this is the ONLY duplicate MOTU figure we had in our collection.
    5. I HIGHLY doubt we sent in proof of purchase for the Barbie 3 for 1 thing
    6. I found NO maroon weapons
    7. My thinking is that he was a freebie at the toy store, like a buy one get one or something or a mail in other than Wonder Bread (but then again,I have done 2 days of reasearch vs. everyone here that has been talking about this for probably 10 years, ha)
    8. We grew up in Baltimore and bought our MOTU figures at a store called Kiddie City (if that helps) and possibly Kay-Bee Toys too.

Here are the pics - please note that the broken one had someone elses webbed arm when I found him. Also, on the neck of the broken one, reads "97" http://www.flickr.com/photos/63764469@N05/

Can the broken arm be fixed (socket complete torn off body)? I can tell forum members are really serious collectors and these (2) figures are 110% the real deal. I think its pretty pathetic that someone would create a fake version for profit.
    Anyway, sorry for the ridiculously long post. I look forward to your comments and opinions. I'll be happy to post more pics and answer any questions about the figures. THANKS FOR READING!

Is it possible savage he-man was given to kids by a store santa?

excelent post brown he-man, thx for sharing and consider yourself super lucky to have a cool mom! my grandma did something similar and saved all my motu stuff, no i cant stop collecting!

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    i don't know about the rest of you, but this is news to me, first time i saw that space in some other figure's shorts.

Thank you for sharing kelddorr. So it seems that is not an unique feature uh? Anyone else has a skeletor like this?
    I noticed my MOC Prince Adam also has the space in the shorts. This is an early release with "New" burst on the top left corner.

Snarf...

Heroic Warrior kylefromdirtnapp's Avatar
    I was painting a BA Skeletor the other day, and I swear he had the same gap. I'm not at home or I'd post a pic.
    I'm going to stop collecting toys and start smoking crack. Crack is cheaper and less addictive.
    My collections and trade/sale stuff

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    so much for unique features, this figure has now became highly customizable. Still, either they all came from the same source or there's just no chance for forgery.

I love Mos Eisley Cantina BoShek's Avatar
    We should chip in money and hire a private investigator and find out the truth once and for all!
    Please watch my videos!
    http://www.eaglekillerstudios.com

Heroic Warrior
    I doubt PIs are gonna dig up more than what weve already done

I remember as a kid they gave away small plastic dinosaurs for just a random reason at the toy store once , maybe they had competitions and stuff and then gave winners a figure as a prize (it was available thru more sources than mail away imo) ?

I dont think the gap thing is any indication......just co-incidence imo.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Brown He-Man thank you for sharing your story!

OMG Guys!!!! Right now I'm kinda excited because I believe Brown He-Man may have provided an important clue to help us solve the mystery!

If you guys will recall, a long time ago I posted a map in this thread with which I started documenting the specific states where the "Savage He-Man" figures were originally discovered, in the hopes of seeing some sort of pattern.

I noticed that almost every single discovery of this figure was coming from the Eastern half of the United States. (though I believe there was one person who reported Oregon)

Well, guess what? Based on some early research that I've done, the Kiddie City chain of stores (the main store that Brown He-Man got his figures from) seem to have been exclusive to the eastern half of the United States!

Check this out:

Lionel Kiddie City was a large chain of toy stores (150+ locations) in the eastern half of the United States that was once the #2 toy store in the 1980's. Various economic troubles at the time forced Lionel into bankruptcy in 1982. By 1985, they were back and on the grow again, but competition from discount stores and Toys 'R' Us forced them back into bankruptcy in 1991. 29 stores were left by 1993, in the Mid-Atlantic area (Philadelphia having a large presence of locations) and Florida, but the final stores liquidated later that year. Stores also went under the names: Toy City, Lionel Playworld, Lionel Toy Warehouse, and Lionel Toy Town.
    Everyone...focus your energies on Kiddie City. ha!

EDIT

So far I'm coming up empty-handed on the Kiddie City thing. I haven't been able to find any sort of promotion related to Masters Of The Universe, but that doesn't disprove anything.

I did notice they have MOTU merchandise in one of their commercials.

@ around the :16 mark you can see a bunch of MOC Ram-Man figures.

...and this one has a MOTU-ish action figure drawing in it @ :17

Last edited by Tallstar; June 27, 2011 at 08:54pm. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Kiddie City... hmmm... any in-store give-away option is always worth exploring. Hopefully something can be turned up no matter what the conclusion is. Thanks Tallstar.

Toy City? That was my local toy store. They're long gone now, but that's where I got most of the POP stuff from my childhood. I live in Surrey, BC so that could possibly explain why one turned up in Oregon?

Found this on wikipedia:

Consumers Distributing (known in Quebec as Distribution aux Consommateurs) was a catalogue store in Canada and the United States that operated from 1957 to 1996. At its peak it operated 243 outlets in Canada and 217 in the United States, including stores in every province in Canada and in the states of New Hampshire, Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, California and Nevada. Its Canadian headquarters was at 6303 Airport Road, in Mississauga, Ontario and it US corporate headquarters was 205 Campus Plaza in Edison, New Jersey.

During the 1980s, the company built a chain of toy stores called "Toy City". In 1990/1991, some stores became Toy City/Consumers Distributing stores. They closed in the mid-1990s.
    Last edited by flutterina; June 28, 2011 at 12:46am.

Widget
    I seriously think that you may be right. It could had been that kiddie city wanted to give away some toy as a promotion of the store and maybe they had a brown he man specially made for that reason. That also explains why mattel has no records of it. That does make some serious copyright issues but who knows?

I'm thinking this may also help to explain why "Savage He-Man" was the only duplicate figure in Brown He-Man's collection. If he and his brother were present during some sort of in-store Kiddie City promotion, it makes sense that they both would have received a figure. However, it seems like the offer would've had to have been a low-key event of some sort (perhaps the cashier handed them out every so often, or there were small amounts for sale at the checkout), otherwise I feel like it would've burned a strong memory.

Also to consider, is the fact that the Kiddie City chain was reduced to about 55 stores sometime between 1982 and 1985. That's not a lot of stores at all, so it would make sense that Savage He-Man is a bit harder to find. And the thing is, if Kiddie City got desperate during one of their periods of bankruptcy, they may have asked Mattel to produce a variant in small amounts as a giveaway of some sort.

Why a brown-haired He-Man?

Maybe they wanted it to be in-line with the store mascot...

btw, I'm using Brown He-Man's story as the main focal point, because it's unadulterated.

We used to go to Lionel Kiddie City all the time in MD when I was growing up, we had two in our area and I was so upset when it went under. I don't ever remember them giving away a He-Man but they very well could have, they had promotions going on all the time (just like Toys R Us did for shopping sprees, special sales, etc).

It is very likely they were behind the He-Man, their competition on the East Coast was Toys R Us, KB Toys, and FAO Schwarz not to mention Kmart/Kreskies/Woolworth/Montgomery Ward/SEARS
    Owner Fantastic Plastic Toys. Authorized Integrity Toys Dealer. We ship international. We carry Monster High, Realm of the Underworld, Funko, NECA, Japanese Imports & much more! Creator of Mystical Warriors of the Ring, a 2" Animal Wrestling Minifigure line, with toys now made in China! Check us out!

Trusted .Org member/mod See My Feedback

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    nice to see the flame burning again on this thread

Here's a thought: perhaps they were prototype figures produced for market testing. I came across an interview with Roger Sweet and this is what he said about presenting his prototypes:

"There were three other concepts shown by other members of the design group, of which I was a member. Ray Wagner [the president] ran the show. The different members showed their concepts and when we were all finished, Wagner said all the concepts should be market-tested for preference. But then right at the end of the meeting he pointed to my models and said, "Those have the power."

Here's the link if anyone's interested:
    http://trex.id.iit.edu/alumni/interv...iew_sep05.html
    Last edited by flutterina; June 28, 2011 at 06:03pm.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I'm thinking this may also help to explain why "Savage He-Man" was the only duplicate figure in Brown He-Man's collection. If he and his brother were present during some sort of in-store Kiddie City promotion, it makes sense that they both would have received a figure. However, it seems like the offer would've had to have been a low-key event of some sort (perhaps the cashier handed them out every so often, or there were small amounts for sale at the checkout), otherwise I feel like it would've burned a strong memory.

Also to consider, is the fact that the Kiddie City chain was reduced to about 55 stores sometime between 1982 and 1985. That's not a lot of stores at all, so it would make sense that Savage He-Man is a bit harder to find. And the thing is, if Kiddie City got desperate during one of their periods of bankruptcy, they may have asked Mattel to produce a variant in small amounts as a giveaway of some sort.

Why a brown-haired He-Man?

Maybe they wanted it to be in-line with the store mascot...

http://s3.amazonaws.com/bonanzleimag...jn_8w__0_3.jpg

btw, I'm using Brown He-Man's story as the main focal point, because it's unadulterated.
    Does anyone have a list of Kiddie City locations? As I posted previously, my figure came from a family selling off their kids toys before they moved. They were in Plainville, CT. It would be interesting to see if there was a Kiddie City location nearby.

Heroic Warrior

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    If Lionel Kiddie City did a promotional He-Man, Neil Friedman might remember...possibly.

He has held executive posts with several toy companies, and gained retail experience as executive vice president and chief operating officer of Lionel Leisure Inc., parent company of the Lionel Kiddie City toy stores, which at one time was the second-largest toy chain in the U.S.
    And, to think, this career was set in motion by a help-wanted ad. That’s how the Rider University alum landed a job at Pennsylvania toy chain Lionel Leisure/ Kiddie City, where he climbed his way up to become executive vice president and COO over the course of a decade
    Toys "R" Us has chosen Neil Friedman, a respected industry leader with experience in toy manufacturing and retailing, as president of its U.S. toy business.

Friedman, 63, was the president of Mattel Brands until March. He left Mattel on friendly terms after a restructuring.
    So, he's now president of ToysRUs. The article is from April 5, 2011. Since we know where he is, maybe someone could send him a picture of this He-Man and ask him if he remembers doing a promotional deal with Mattel for this figure through Lionel Kiddie City in the mid-80's. He might remember. It's a LONG shot though.

http://www.successmagazine.com/from-...MS/article/752

http://www.northjersey.com/news/1192...ys__R__Us.html
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

sept 2002 when this thread was posted and we are still going in circles with this mystery

hey Ram man 21 you still around bud?

congrats on the longest running thread ever!

you deserve a brown he-man
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

I aways wondered why people actually doubt the Wonder-Bread He-man story so much. The 80's had a LOT of misuse of trademarks and copyrights. It wasn't as strict as today. A lot of toys slipped through the cracks. Look at the boundless lines of he-man variants and bootlegs. It's not impossible that Wonder-Bread signed a quick contract with Mattel prior to the release of He-man, or perhaps during the first intro phase of the product.

Oh well, I'll always be a believer anyways!