Page 85 of 99 FirstFirst ... 3575838485868795 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 2460

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neusch23 View Post
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images...vageheman.jpg/

Sorry, waited for him to send me a better picture. I believe it to be authentic. I see the figure is from 1981. I see the gap in the shorts. Doesn't seem to be painted.

What are your thoughts?
    I'm not sure if the figure is authentic or not, but I'm almost 100% certain the right arm is Tri-Klops'. Tri-Klops is the only figure that has the yellow bracelet. Unless that yellow is like a marker stain or something.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    If my A&P theory turns out to be correct, it would explain the lone Washington state sighting. Though they weren't very common, there was about 100 A&P stores in Washington state during the 1980s.
    *sigh* I just want to know already. I'd even be partially satiated if someone found a childhood picture with Savage He-Man in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    *sigh* I just want to know already. I'd even be partially satiated if someone found a childhood picture with Savage He-Man in it.
    motuxmen claimed he did, but we all know how that turned out

In a way, it will be sad to no longer have the mystery if it ever gets solved.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    In a way, it will be sad to no longer have the mystery if it ever gets solved.
    There is an exec at Mattel that laughs every time he sees a post on here knowing full well the story behind them I'm guessing first 1981 production run that got nixed (a.k.a. Conan/Savage theory) after a couple thousand figs were produced put aside for rework/repaint then got shipped to fill back orders for promotional figures (A.K.A. Wonder bread/A&P theories) to save the production cost. Since they didn't have a Card only a bag i'm guessing it wasn't mentioned to the higher ups meaning no memo's or paper trail probably a lower level promotions exec decision to get rid of old stock.

Just because I don't think it's ever been mentioned before...

The Barbie fashion on Darren's coupon is Fashion Fantasy "Evening Rose" #5548 from 1983

Heroic Warrior
    Just because I don't think it's ever been mentioned before...

The Barbie fashion on Darren's coupon is Fashion Fantasy "Evening Rose" #5548 from 1983

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...OSE___5548.jpg
    I may know next to nothing about the vintage wundar but I'm pretty sure he didn't wear that.

Is it possible Savage/WB He-Man was a giveaway in the Jell-O promotion? This started in 1983.

A buddy of mine here in St. Louis said he had one of these as a kid. So there were some giveaways here in STL as well. I'm sure too that in Kansas City as a kid I knew of a promotion for Savage He-Man, but didn't bother to send it in or collect (whatever it was… upc codes) to get it because the promotion picture showed a wrong-colored he-man with no accessories and I thought "why bother".

When I first heard about this being a "wonder bread" thing I always had remembered it being something to do with cereal, as that was something that I regularly collected UPC codes and sent away for things. But like everything else in this thread: no substantiation.

Having worked for ad agencies I could see the regional marketing groups tasked with generating cross-promos to get rid of old stock. Basically the ad agency already has connections to various other companies and uses those to get free publicity by getting rid of something a company can't sell for whatever reason anyway. It's either trash, or it's a promo.

*shrugs*
    Good Trader List:
    -Maul, tattoojunkie74, Chuck Bowlz

After having posted the Jell-O ad on Facebook, someone mentioned that their childhood Savage He-Man may have been from this promotion. So, I'm going to follow up with some research. The only other thing I was able to find on this promotion is a reference to the promotion in a book about Advertising. Apparently they used this as a case study. I went ahead and ordered the book off Amazon because it was CHEAP.

Heroic Warrior
    Is it possible Savage/WB He-Man was a giveaway in the Jell-O promotion? This started in 1983.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ness/jello.jpg

Jell-Or for Masters Classics. Jell-Or is the Heroic master of gelatin desserts. He could be Chef Allen's (whoever he is) assistant. They could be a two pack.

Quote Originally Posted by midor View Post
    Jell-Or for Masters Classics. Jell-Or is the Heroic master of gelatin desserts. He could be Chef Allen's (whoever he is) assistant. They could be a two pack.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm thinking Jigg Lor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by mahuti View Post
    A buddy of mine here in St. Louis said he had one of these as a kid. So there were some giveaways here in STL as well. I'm sure too that in Kansas City as a kid I knew of a promotion for Savage He-Man, but didn't bother to send it in or collect (whatever it was… upc codes) to get it because the promotion picture showed a wrong-colored he-man with no accessories and I thought "why bother".

When I first heard about this being a "wonder bread" thing I always had remembered it being something to do with cereal, as that was something that I regularly collected UPC codes and sent away for things. But like everything else in this thread: no substantiation.

Having worked for ad agencies I could see the regional marketing groups tasked with generating cross-promos to get rid of old stock. Basically the ad agency already has connections to various other companies and uses those to get free publicity by getting rid of something a company can't sell for whatever reason anyway. It's either trash, or it's a promo.

*shrugs*
    perhaps this is the one your thinking of?kellogg cereal ad.jpg

Savage He-Man is the Bigfoot of MOTU. No matter how hard people look and how many leads they get, no one will ever get any closer to the truth. Masters was the most popular toy line of the 1980's. It made billions and had countless fans. I remember every single toy from the line and tons of merchandise. Despite having no internet, us kids all knew about the two different Stratos, Man-E-Weapons, and Dark Grizzlor. I remember that Faker came out a year later after the 1st figures. I remember being upset that the Sorceress looked so different on the TV show compared to the mini-comics. I remember where I saw the figures for the 1st time and who they were. I remember how every kid hated those spinning top guys so much that hardly anyone brought them (which is why they are worth so much now). I remember getting GI-Joe and Star Wars mail-away figures. But, I do not remember the Savage He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by keller View Post
    perhaps this is the one your thinking of?
    No. For sure not.
    Good Trader List:
    -Maul, tattoojunkie74, Chuck Bowlz

Widget
    Hi all,

I thought I'd drop in and post, as I'm a vintage packaging and candy collector more than a MOTU collector, and I wanted to share. I'm also the collector who owns what I believe is still the only known example of a Wonder Bread bag from Wonder's 1986 MOTU promotion.

I don't know if the "Savage He-Man" mystery will ever be solved, but I do think the it's an awfully cool bit of unknown.

Who knows... If only a single MOTU Wonder Bread bag from 1986 now exists; it's easy to imagine that an earlier bag, or other store promotional package might also be out there, waiting to be discovered - or one DID exist, but none survived. Lots of folks have the Wonder Bread trading cards, and lots of folks have the Savage He-Man figures. But try to find this bag... or whatever it was that Savage He-Man came from. It's crazy, right? But you guys all already know this, so I'm risking boring you.

I do a lot of research on candy packaging, and it's amazing how much stuff from as recent as ten or twenty years ago is non-existent. Not rare - just gone. No one thought to save this stuff. I'm talking very common things.. like a Nerds candy box from 1989 - you'll likely never see one - but we all know they existed. So maybe a Savage He-Man Wonder Bread bag is out there... or A&P coupon, or Twinkies box, or who knows what..

Anyway, I know this has been discussed at length, and my bread bag has been posted before, but I thought I'd post it again, and provide a direct link. You can see it in hi-res via my original Flickr posting, linked below. It's a fairly unremarkable piece of MOTU ephemera, but for the moment, it's a one-of-a-kind footnote in the ongoing mystery of Savage He-Man:

Wonder Bread - He-Man Masters of the Universe trading card promo - bread bag - 1986 by JasonLiebig, on Flickr

Court Magician
    I just bought someone whole childhood collection of he man figures off of a basic junk pile sell phone pict. I could see a few valuable figures in there like King Randor and Scareglow, etc. Well there was a Savage in there. This kid grew up in the PEN area and got most of his figures and castles by winning a contest when he was a kid through Underroos. Didn't think he ever signed up for anything from wonderbread, and is pretty sure that he got the savage as part of that contest in the mid 80's. I don't know if anyone knows of this contest, but he said he was "90% sure" it came from winning that contest. He doesn't remember the who, when, or why he won, just that it was from the underwear brand underroos. Hope this helps!

Underroos? That's interesting. Nearly every kid I knew had underoos, so, ya never know.

Heroic Warrior
    Un-dar well that explains why no armor he had his fur underoos!!!

Quote Originally Posted by neusch23 View Post
    I just bought someone whole childhood collection of he man figures off of a basic junk pile sell phone pict. I could see a few valuable figures in there like King Randor and Scareglow, etc. Well there was a Savage in there. This kid grew up in the PEN area and got most of his figures and castles by winning a contest when he was a kid through Underroos. Didn't think he ever signed up for anything from wonderbread, and is pretty sure that he got the savage as part of that contest in the mid 80's. I don't know if anyone knows of this contest, but he said he was "90% sure" it came from winning that contest. He doesn't remember the who, when, or why he won, just that it was from the underwear brand underroos. Hope this helps!
    Interesting, neusch23. This is the first time I've heard of anyone mentioning a contest in conjunction with Underroos. I'm excited to have something new to research.

Has anyone researched the give away's through Nestle Quick products?
    Contact me if you have MOTU Merchandise Items for sale or trade! Please view a sampling of what I am looking for Here:
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...ase%20Contact/
    http://photobucket.com/albums/v400/j...need%20Europe/

Quote Originally Posted by jmb410s View Post
    Has anyone researched the give away's through Nestle Quick products?
    It's mention in this thread. It appears to be a dead end.

Widget
    Hello everyone! I'm new to the forums and this is my first post but I just wanted to throw in that I found a Savage He-Man about a week ago at a second hand store in Butte, MT. I know this might not have necessarily come from Butte originally, but I thought it was interesting for another western sighting.

Court Magician
    Interesting, neusch23. This is the first time I've heard of anyone mentioning a contest in conjunction with Underroos. I'm excited to have something new to research.
    I felt silly asking him all the questions about toys, but I was hoping to get an answer. He was going to ask his mother if she remembered any thing about the contest. How he was signed up, and where. We will see if I get any info back on it. I think he was mad that I got that figure in there.