Page 89 of 98 FirstFirst ... 39798788899091 ... LastLast
Results 2,201 to 2,225 of 2438

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Widget
    This "savage" he man used to be own by GMKALOS but i know it did not have the sword included originaly???i have hel this baggeed example in my hands.

Sounds pretty legit... I think we may have a winner. I wonder if anyone has any of thise little forms you send it to get a free figure?

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    I'm certain pictures of a mail-away form surfaced early on in relation to Savage He-Man (just not much of a solid connection at the time). As I recall, the form looked to be maybe 3 inches by 5 inches (probably a bit smaller) and seems to have been a multi-use form for Mattel as it appears to include information for a Barbie and I believe a Hot Wheels mail-away promotions that presumably were going on at the same time.
    Last edited by Captain Marvel; November 18, 2012 at 03:50am.

Heroic Warrior
    Well I get a little extra cash, mostly after X-Mas, I'm going to be in the market for one.

This is the Buy Three Offer form.

Heroic Warrior

hostess and wonder out of business the truth about wun dar savage he man

now that wonder bread is out of business, will the truth come out about wun-dar and the mystery of savage he man ?

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    I'm sure it's a priority.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg

Heroic Warrior
    *IF* the figure truly does have connections to Wonder Bread (and judging by the thread in the vintage forum, it's looking less and less like it), this probably makes it even more difficult. Their business records aren't going to suddenly be made public for all to peruse; more likely, they'll be sealed or destroyed or placed into even deeper storage.
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I'm sure it's a priority.

I doubt it. But so many people associated him with Wonder, I thought it sounded like he was an early batch of production samples that got sent to Wonder for use in displays promoting their mail-away MOTU stickers or whatever, and after the displays were torn down, the figures got scattered, some being snatched by employees, some possibly going back to Mattel which were later given out at the Power Tour. I'm not certain about all this, but I thought that was what the running theory was, back when I was reading up on it.
    "I damned the world to save my daughter once... and I will do it for her again."
    I do custom action figures, commissioned art, and I will make any Masters of the Universe costume, tailored to you!
    View my website! http://www.havocstaff.50megs.com

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Madison Carter View Post
    *IF* the figure truly does have connections to Wonder Bread (and judging by the thread in the vintage forum, it's looking less and less like it), this probably makes it even more difficult. Their business records aren't going to suddenly be made public for all to peruse; more likely, they'll be sealed or destroyed or placed into even deeper storage.
    maybe not hostess, but maybe info from mattel , with no more fear of being sued?

Fear of being sued? What fear? As documented in this thread, Mattel wanted to do this figure as a 2001 Commemorative figure. It was discovered then at Mattel there is no documentation for such a figure in their archives so those plans were scrapped. Also, repeated inquires to Hostess over the years have yielded no results or any documentation of this figure being released by them.

It's a real figure and how it was released is still a mystery. But there's no uncovered "truth" at Hostess. We're going to have to uncover the mystery elsewhere. I do think there's several sound theories here! Eventually in time something may be uncovered.

Mightiest Mortal Captain Marvel's Avatar
    Assuming Savage He-Man was the mail-away figure from that promotion, I wonder if the records were filed elsewhere? Since the same form was seemingly used not only for Barbie but the the Dazzle and Monchichis toys as well perhaps Mattel set up a temporary office to handle the promotion and kept all the records together and not as part of the records for the individual toy lines.

That coupon doesn't appear to actually be tied to Savage He-Man in any way from what we can tell.

I apologize for beating this drum, but if you search through this thread, it's all been discussed before.

Heroic Warrior
    no need to apologize , just thought the news about hostess might help dig up some new info , or spark some new interest in the subject , i myself think it to be a conan figure , not related to motu at all , as the original he man looked much more like a barbarian and less like arnold swartzwhateva, from conan .then somehow they just used the same figure when he man started , i do like the idea that he was sent out to promote the wonder bread cards ? but i still think its just a conan and not motu at all ,and no i dont have one , i couldnt afford one ,it was too easy to make a simple custom for $3 paint than spend $400 on a loose conan , but even if the drum is still beating it is still fun to discuss from time to time ?

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Marvel View Post
    I'm certain pictures of a mail-away form surfaced early on in relation to Savage He-Man (just not much of a solid connection at the time). As I recall, the form looked to be maybe 3 inches by 5 inches (probably a bit smaller) and seems to have been a multi-use form for Mattel as it appears to include information for a Barbie and I believe a Hot Wheels mail-away promotions that presumably were going on at the same time.
    This is the Buy Three Offer form.

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2414/wbheman.jpg

http://wheeljack.000space.com/motu_r...nflyerback.jpg
    Note that the Masters of the Universe figure featured on the form is Man-E-Faces.

Quote Originally Posted by ninjor 9 View Post
    but i still think its just a conan and not motu at all
    Well, that possibility has been pretty much ruled out by people who work at Mattel, including past creators who aren't all that fond of Mattel. Everyone has said thus far that MOTU was a property developed independently of Conan. *shrugs*

It's just amazing after all this time there's no paperwork from the offer, or promotion, etc. It's crazy!... in a good way!

Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Prince of Eternia View Post
    Note that the Masters of the Universe figure featured on the form is Man-E-Faces.
    I wonder if that coupon was good for a figure during MEF's wave? I don't know history of the other brands.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I wonder if that coupon was good for a figure during MEF's wave? I don't know history of the other brands.
    I would assume so. I mean, on the coupon it says that the promotion ran from January 1983 to June 1983. You had to send in the proof of purchases by June of 1983. The other items on the coupon were available around the same time frame.

For instance, the Barbie fashion shown is Fantasy "Evening Rose" #5548 from 1983.

Val, what do you think about the blog entry that 18minutes posted? The date matches up with the promotion.

On a side note, I thought it was interesting that in the court documents for the Conan/He-Man trial it said that Mattel didn't return all of the molds, sketches and other artwork to CPI. They only gave them one sample of each of the heads for Conan, Thulsa Doom and Rexor.

Val, what do you think about the blog entry that 18minutes posted? The date matches up with the promotion.
    It could be. Problem is that there's been so many different accounts over the years. We really need the tangible evidence to go by. It's the only way to be sure. Was it a mail-away from somewhere? Was it an in-store promotion? Did time travelling pranksters leave them randomly throughout collections everywhere? ...well, I'm sure it wasn't the later. Maybe one day it'll all surface.

Heroic Warrior
    after reading more of the past quotes , the store promo idea seems interesting , i know a few non heman.org toy dealers that have found these at thrifts or flea markets as kids or as adult dealers . all of the finds seem to be in the midwest region? if childrens palace was a midwestern chain ? this sounds good, i grew up around the corner from the akron ohio childrens palace , i do remember a large selection of motu toys and they seemed to have a lot of promos , i dont know if the CP chain was nation wide? but that was really a great store, i see it daily as i drive to work ,the character facia has been stripped and turned into a normal square building , also in the early 80s the mall across the street had a big motu promo where i watched a parade of he man and skeletor dress up characters march by , back then i thought they were the real characters . i some day i will look for pictures of the event and look for any hints of savage he man .i remember it being complete chaos at that mall for the parade. and a store even had the toy display stretched out into the hall and lobby of the mall . im sure events like this went on across the country and at some time there had to be some promo item ? a poster ,a bagged figure ? i am starting to agree with that idea , if it is a motu item that must be it , maybe a collective list of randomly found savage he man could make a regional idea of where the promo was ? the mystery goes on. always fun to try to figure out , since those days that mall i spoke of is a skeleton of what it was , the toys r us across the street is gone, and so is the childrens palace .

There's a number of things I keep pondering and trying to find a connection:
    - his color scheme. He had to have been made brown and black on purpose. What does that color scheme represent?
    - there's been no verified packaged samples. So him being given away loose, or possibly bagged seems more likely.
    - there's been no verified weapons or armor, which also lends to the possibility of a cheap give-away of some sort with no armor or accessories (be it in-store or mail-away)
    - there's no proof to-date of any sort of mail-away. It makes an in-store promo seem more feasible.
    - the mail-away offer from Wonder Bread was proven later on to be the card set.
    - Mattel found no paperwork or samples in its archive to verify this figure happened.
    - the maroon weapons came with Man-E-Weapons as a set. Before Man-E-Weapons was posted online, the maroon weapons had been unexplained.
    - repeated stories about this figure in some connection to Wonder Bread. Is there a connection? Is it the power of suggestion? It's still undetermined if and how there is a connection. Anything is possible!

My personal favorite theory is the in-store promo to promote "Miracle Bread" (even though I can't find a dang thing about Miracle Bread online, unfortunately) simply for the possibilities of an in-store promo and how it may have happened. So I've been searching randomly hoping for maybe some sort of connection... "Power Bread" or "A&P exclusive bread", etc, etc. I haven't had any luck yet, but I haven't been very diligent in my searching either.

There's got to be a reason to do a tie-in with a He-man figure... play on words that made He-man the best choice? a new or existing children's product promoted a popular toy tie-in for added sales? Something! It may not be bread, or A&P or any of that as well. To go back to the well for a moment and an older conversation, maybe it was tied in to Nestle Quick with an in-store promo instead of a Nestle mail-away. After all, they did have the contest where you could win MOTU toys.

It would be nice if something turned up in a newspaper archive about an offer or the like involving this figure. Some sort of smoking gun!

But that's the thing - if it happened via the "Buy Three Offer" like 18minutes brother said (and like Adam_Prince of Eternia was speculating back in 2010), then there may be no record of this figure in the media, printed materials etc. Mattel could have simply told the Taiwan plant: "Give this run of production error He-Man figures brown hair, black boots etc." specifically to help exhaust their supply of incorrectly colored maroon weapons.

I mean, I'm trying to think of reasons why all Savage He-Man figures have the missing neck pin and loin cloth gap in common.

I mean, I'm trying to think of reasons why all Savage He-Man figures have the missing neck pin and loin cloth gap in common.

Loincloth gap is present in one of the molds for Taiwan He-Man.
    I had one "Yellow Belt" Taiwan He-Man with the same gap and now I saw another one with it. They both showing the same combination of color/paint for hair, belt and boots, which means that mold with the gap is used only for single, early (since it is Yellow Belt) production series of Taiwan He-Man. They probably used the same mold for production of brown loincloth (which is used for Savage He-Man)... so maybe if there is correlation between figure variants which were produced in the same mold, maybe we could find out the exact period when the mold was used.

I am curious which are the other Taiwan variants/figures which showing the same loincloth gap? If I remember correctly there is Man-At-Arms showing gap...is it "Red Dots", "Blue Belt" or "Gray Belt" MAA?

Please have you a picture of the "lioncoth gap" supposed part?
    I am trying to understand what you are saying about the savage He-Man but I am not familiarised with the "lioncloth gap" term.
    Where it is on the figures exactly?

Quote Originally Posted by TOKYONEVER View Post
    Please have you a picture of the "lioncoth gap" supposed part?
    I am trying to understand what you are saying about the savage He-Man but I am not familiarised with the "lioncloth gap" term.
    Where it is on the figures exactly?
    Here it is...it is some error on the mold where part of the sculpt between fur and the belt is missing. We are talking about that gap of missing sculpt which is present on every Savage He-man figure and could be found on some other figures as well.

and here is "the gap" on the He-Man figure I mentioned:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    Last edited by Mantisaur82; November 20, 2012 at 07:21pm.

Very interesting, Never seen this detail before, thx a lot Mantisaur82.

I checked all my "early 1981" figures and no one has that...So, I was really thinking that the Savage He-Man was an early version of He-Man retired at the last minute by Mattel (I love the Conan's theory) but now I have to admit that probably not, the He-Man savage would be released after the early figures? wow!
    By example I have the first early Man-At-Arms "dot" version in hands, and no lioncloth gap on it for sure, as He-Man, Stratos, Skeletor, BeastMan, Mer-Man & Zodac.

And what about the Buzz-Off early prototype? it is a brown haired He-Man (hair painted black on the prototype but haired "brown" on the concept art...) It is very hard to imagine that Mattel had in head to do different characters than He-Man with the same head just repainted, no?

No chance that Mattel started to produce the brown He-man's head simply for Buzz-Off at the begining, changing their minds to finally change the brown head by the Buzz-Off one we know?

My ("new" lol) theory: Mattel did a lot of Brown heads He-Man for the Buzz-Off figure and after changing their minds, the brown head was simply envisaged to be used for a promotion using a recolored He-Man's body, using by this way the "error" mold lioncloth gap....the mold was done, probably this one was not used a lot and, as you know, plastic is not costing a lot of $$$....so, you have the choice: trash a mold costing thousand $$$ or make with it a "Free" figure costing finally cheap for a special promotion allowing to sell more figures already on the market ...what are you choosing?

I am good?
    Last edited by TOKYONEVER; November 20, 2012 at 08:43pm.