Page 95 of 98 FirstFirst ... 45859394959697 ... LastLast
Results 2,351 to 2,375 of 2450

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    I believe Conan Properties, Inc. filed the lawsuit against Mattel in 1984. Mattel probably would have been careful from that point on. That's why I can see Savage He-Man being released via this promotion in 1983.
    That's true. The lawsuit wasn't until '84. My guess is grumblings were already in effect ahead of then, though. And with them already having a previous relationship with them over Conan, I suspect they were always careful.

It's always possible, though! Need... paperwork!...documents!... AHHH!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    And 1983 would make sense as to why not too many remember it. '83 is right before the line exploded in popularity. Given the rarity of the figure, we can assume small enough quantities under the radar before He-Man hit it big. And since the 3 for 1 deal didn't not advertise who you were gonna get, no pictures exist of Savage He-Man in an advertisement, so he was truly unknown to most fans. He was a low visibility figure at a low visibilty time of the line.
    Well, if you go by the reports from former Mattel employees during the MOTU era, the line sold extremely well out the gate in 1982. Plus, Filmation MOTU debuted fall of 1983. And the 2nd wave of figures came out in 1983 (Mattel and other other toy companies do heavy roll-out of new product in the fall. Sears would run wishbook orders up through the end of June as well). So, the line was definitely on the radar by then. That's something to consider when it comes to timing of possible release.

Quote Originally Posted by rayman1971 View Post
    Again I am 100% certain I received my "Savage" He-man from the Buy 3 Get 1 Free MOTU/Barbie/Dazzle/Monchichi offer. I do not know if he was available any other way but there is not one iota of doubt in my memory that I received mine from this offer. You guys don't have to believe me of course but regardless it's true. I believe I still have 1-2 of the offer coupons at my parents house. I need to find them! Now I am not 100% sure where I got the offer coupons but would guess Children's Palace.
    This seems pretty likely actually. Mattel could've simply 2had a buttload of these "savage" He-Mans they couldn't sell in the main line so they gave them away through this.

Widget
    Just an idea here but if Mattel had given savage He-Man away via a promotion say this 3 for 1 deal then how many would they have had to actually have instock to give away?

You would imagine that if this promotion was 1983 with man-e-faces being on the known ticket/slip and him coming out in wave 2 in the fall of 1983 then this promotion would have been red hot as the new cartoon was airing on TV then the figures and castles had been around 2 years as a toy line so you would think loads and loads of kids would collect this offer and there would be hundreds of thousands of savage He-Man figures out there not just the what say few hundred or more that seem to be around? (does anyone have a certain number on how many legit savage He-Man figures actually exist?)

If they produced that many figures then you would think this figure would have come to light with collectors sooner than it did and if they only made say a thousand to giveaway then what other figure replaced it when these sold out? and why can no one remember firstly what other figure they got instead or even mailing away apart from the 20 or so people on this thread that claim to do so?

You would imagine that if this promotion was 1983 with man-e-faces being on the known ticket/slip and him coming out in wave 2 in the fall of 1983 then this promotion would have been red hot as the new cartoon was airing on TV then the figures and castles had been around 2 years as a toy line so you would think loads and loads of kids would collect this offer and there would be hundreds of thousands of savage He-Man figures out there not just the what say few hundred or more that seem to be around? (does anyone have a certain number on how many legit savage He-Man figures actually exist?)
    This promotion existed before the cartoon aired. The MOTU series starting airing shortly before the Fall of 1983. The coupon states that the "Buy 3 Get One Free" offer ran from January 1983 to June 1983. (I believe the envelope had to be postmarked by a certain date in June) This means that the specifics of the offer were undoubtedly planned some time in 1982. If Savage He-Man was one of the free figures, likely some first series characters were given away as well. Basically whatever extras Mattel had on hand at the time. While it's true that the 1982 line-up did well, I wouldn't say that the brand was explosively popular at this point in time, although it did get named 'Best Toy' in Toy & Hobby magazine in 1982.

On a side note, having read through the Conan Properties, Inc. vs Mattel lawsuit, I don't get the feeling that Mattel employees anticipated that Conan Properties would take action against Mattel. I mean, they were developing both toy lines concurrently, so that in itself is a pretty brazen act if they thought they were doing something wrong. There was actually a provision in the licensing agreement though, that allowed Mattel to produce and sell related toy lines. So, they probably thought 'their butts' were covered.

[CPI] agrees and acknowledges that toy figures and accessories based upon or appearing to be ancient characters or futuristic characters or combinations thereof from various time periods with which articles are or may be competitive have been and will be produced and sold and may hereafter be created, designed, produced and sold by [Mattel] (collectively referred herein as "Related Toy Line") without incurring liability to [CPI] under this Agreement.
    Moreover, according to the documentation, it was decided by Mattel marketing in early June of 1981 that the Conan toy line would be new heads on Big Jim bodies. When the licensing agreement was terminated, Mattel gave CPI prototype heads for Conan, Thulsa Doom and Rexor since under the agreement CPI owned everything related to the development of the Conan toy line.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Widget
    If the coupon was from January 1983-June 1983 I wonder why they printed man-e-faces on the coupon a figure who was not due to be issued until wave 2 in september or october of that year?
    You would think that Mattel would have use da figure who was already in the line that could be used to coax fans into buying enough figures to ualify for the promotion, And if they were only giving away savage He-Man why not picture him on there?

This promotion existed before the cartoon aired. The MOTU series starting airing shortly before the Fall of 1983. The coupon states that the "Buy 3 Get One Free" offer ran from January 1983 to June 1983. (I believe the envelope had to be postmarked by a certain date in June) This means that the specifics of the offer were undoubtedly planned some time in 1982. If Savage He-Man was one of the free figures, likely some first series characters were given away as well. Basically whatever extras Mattel had on hand at the time. While it's true that the 1982 line-up did well, I wouldn't say that the brand was explosively popular at this point in time, although it did get named 'Best Toy' in Toy & Hobby magazine in 1982.
    That coupon had to be post-marked some time in July, 1983. My guess is whatever product was sent out as the free item was from the tail end of 1982 stock and incoming 1983 stock. With MOTU being a good seller, they weren't sitting on stock at that point and I'm guessing would just dip into whatever was available, especially for a free figure that wasn't defined and could easily come out of remaining and incoming stock (depending on when redeemed offers arrived and were processed).

The fun component is finding out what the heck that coupon was for. Where was it offered, how was it promoted, etc. And even if we figure that out, we are still left to discover if this savage figure was in any way tied to that coupon.

On a side note, having read through the Conan Properties, Inc. vs Mattel lawsuit, I don't get the feeling that Mattel employees anticipated that Conan Properties would take action against Mattel. I mean, they were developing both toy lines concurrently, so that in itself is a pretty brazen act if they thought they were doing something wrong. There was actually a provision in the licensing agreement though, that allowed Mattel to produce and sell related toy lines. So, they probably thought 'their butts' were covered.
    Recognizing a company may have other fantasy/sci-fi/etc themed toy lines doesn't mean Mattel has the rights to produce product that bears a likeness to Conan. So there's still a sticky wicket in play.

I think all of that leans in the direction of "this was accidental/test-run Conan figure they were getting rid of" and I feel that is unlikely. I think we're still left with the mystery of why this figure looks the way it does and I don't think Conan is the answer. I still believe Mattel would have avoided producing any stock that would resemble Conan too closely and I still feel these colors were intentional by request of a vendor/licensee or the like. But, then again, I could be wrong!

Very good research, though! Lots of good discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by kevyates79 View Post
    If the coupon was from January 1983-June 1983 I wonder why they printed man-e-faces on the coupon a figure who was not due to be issued until wave 2 in september or october of that year?
    You would think that Mattel would have use da figure who was already in the line that could be used to coax fans into buying enough figures to ualify for the promotion, And if they were only giving away savage He-Man why not picture him on there?
    For whatever reason, Man-E-Faces was available at some places way before the Fall season. The Kohl's image I posted earlier is advertising both the "Buy 3 Get 1 Free" offer and Man-E-Faces, and it was published in the Wisconsin State Journal on April 17, 1983. It's possible he was available even earlier, though. By May, 1983, the promotion for Man-E-Faces was in full swing, as they were advertising free cardboard punch-outs of his laser gun.

On a related note, most of the toy ads for the 1982 line-up are from the 4th quarter, but there were some places that sold the figures earlier than that.

This is from June, 1982.

P.S. Val, I will get to a response soon.

image.jpgimage.jpg

Figured I would add a picture for refefence to all this great discussion. hope you don't mind.

Lol
    Last edited by CAIRO; May 25, 2013 at 01:48am.

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    I don't have anything to add as I have only been collecting motu for about 4 years now, BUT I just wanted to say that I love coming to this thread and seeing all of the detective work in attempting to uncover the mystery. Keep up the great work Tallstar and company.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Someone has a Savage He-Man up on eBay and this is what the description says:

I was watching Toy Hunter last week and saw him freak out about a brown haired He-Man figure and paid like $500 for it. The second I saw this I recalled my mother getting this exact figure in a mail away promotion when I was a kid. Since I had 4 or 5 He-Man / Adam variants with blonde hair this brown one that came in the mail always struck me as unusual. I crawled in my attic and pulled out my box of figures and sure enough, there it was along with about 30 other figures, vehicles and castles. I may eventually sell those but thought I'd cash in on this first. There was a Gwildor still in the box. I'll post that too. I did some research. Apparently this figure is often falsely displayed with a black chest piece but it never actually came with a chest piece. Came with a sword, an axe and a promotional coupon. I only have the sword. I was also told that you can tell the difference from a bootleg "savage" and the real deal by the loin clothe. You'll notice that there is a slight space between the belt and loin clothe on the "savage" where normal He-Man has no space. Many of my figures were missing arms, legs and were battered and bruised. I believe that the little nub that his left arm pops into broke when I was a kid and my mother fixed it. The arm moves freely and looks normal but I wouldn't go popping it on and off. As far as this goes , it's "as is." The hair also has some spots where paint is scuffed off.

Someone just ripped me off with a Paypal scam so Im not real keen on Paypal right now. Unless you have excellent and long standing feedback, don't bid. I won't ship it to anyone I think has questionable history unless they pay with some tangible paper format.

I'd consider trading for an exotic, antique taxidermy piece

Master of Invisibility MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    There is also one up on ebay with an AFA grade of 75.
    Enter my $200 CASH GIVEAWAY to Help
    Promote the 2015 Club Eternia Subscription.

WE can do this together because.....

EVERY SUB COUNTS whether it is 1 or 1,000!!!!

Heroic Warrior Lieutenant Fowler's Avatar
    LOL. 13 years after Darren and I bought this figure and nothing more of what we knew then has changed, now. I quit collecting in 2001 with a Laser Light Skeletor I bought while stationed in Germany. Darren has WB He-man in "Baggie" now. I've given up on the true origin of this figure but enjoy reading this thread from time to time.

Before long this place might debate on the origins of "he-man.org"!

David
    Don't talk stupid!

Heroic Warrior
    I am pretty sure I remember a coupon for He-Man in Nestle Quik back in the day.
    www.toyjesus.com
    All your MOTU Sticker and Instruction needs!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by rayman1971 View Post
    The photo of the Buy 3 Get 1 Free Masters/Barbie/Dazzle/Monchichi promotion mail in coupon shown in this thread appears to be genuine. I was a strange obsessive (and spoiled) kid when it came to toys and remember the mail in form even. It was a typical mail-in form, maybe 4" x 6" or so and had the photo/graphics shown with the Savage He-Man on this thread. I live in Louisville, Kentucky and back in 1982 or so I do not believe that Toys R Us was in Louisville yet. I would frequent Children's Palace, Ayr-Way (now Target), and K-Mart. I don't remember seeing the mail-in offer at Ayr-Way or K-Mart which leads me to believe that Chidren's Palace had it up front on their offer bulletin board as you left the store. Again there is absolutely no doubt that is how I received my Savage He-Man.
    I read this thread from time to time with interest, and rayman1971 has me convinced. Two details here stand out to me:

The mention of Children's Palace.

The mention of Louisville, KY.

Earlier in the thread, we had vertigoink saying this:

Quote Originally Posted by vertigoink
    Has anyone ever checked into the idea that it was started by the Children's Palace store chains in the Midwest? I know for certain in 86 that there was a promotion in-store for spending over a certain amount on He-Man merchandise that landed you one of them. I can even further point to the store location in Westland, Michigan, as being the store I saw it in as a kid. I already tried to track down some people a couple of years about this but it was for naught- perhaps someone else would have better luck?
    And, just a few pages ago, Colder Soldier independently posted this:

Quote Originally Posted by Colder Soldier
    Cool video but I have to disagree with the convention giveaway idea. That's because when I grew up I knew 2 kids that had Savage He-Man (of course I cannot prove this, I only have my memory to go on ). The figure boggled me back then. I had every MOTU toy in the line except 9 items (not counting un-released or overseas items) and this figure. I just assumed it was a knock off He-Man toy and didn't care too much about owning it. The figure I saw the most belonged to my best friend at the time. His family was not well off and he had very few toys. That leads me to believe some kind of giveaway promo idea a little more. Sadly, the other kid I knew that had one died along with 2-3 of his siblings in a house fire.

Is there any kind of info that lists where most of the Savage He-Mans are surfacing? These 2 toys/kids were in Louisville, Kentucky.
    That makes two independent mentions of Children's Palace as a source for the promotion, and three mentions of Louisville, KY being a spot where Savage He-Man has turned up (unless rayman1971 is the surviving kid that Colder Soldier knew!). This is getting to the point of being the probable source for me, absent any other, better explanation: a 3-for-1 coupon that may or may not have been exclusively tied to the Children's Palace chain in the Midwest, possibly in combination with an in-store giveaway.

^ I think several pages back Brown He-Man mentioned Children's Palace too as a possible location.

Anyhow, this doesn't fit the pattern for Savage He-Man whatsoever, but I thought it was funny that Eaton's Toyland chain in Canada had their own special coupon in 1985. This one was for 2 free figures if you bought Snake Mountain and 1 free POP figure if you bought Crystal Castle.

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozartpc27 View Post
    I read this thread from time to time with interest, and rayman1971 has me convinced. Two details here stand out to me:

The mention of Children's Palace.

The mention of Louisville, KY.

Earlier in the thread, we had vertigoink saying this:

And, just a few pages ago, Colder Soldier independently posted this:

That makes two independent mentions of Children's Palace as a source for the promotion, and three mentions of Louisville, KY being a spot where Savage He-Man has turned up (unless rayman1971 is the surviving kid that Colder Soldier knew!). This is getting to the point of being the probable source for me, absent any other, better explanation: a 3-for-1 coupon that may or may not have been exclusively tied to the Children's Palace chain in the Midwest, possibly in combination with an in-store giveaway.
    awesome observations! Thank you for bringing this up! But even if the item came from that location, would it explain how it came to be? Was it a store creation? exclusive maybe? Or was there another story behind that one?

Honestly love this mystery!

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    awesome observations! Thank you for bringing this up! But even if the item came from that location, would it explain how it came to be? Was it a store creation? exclusive maybe? Or was there another story behind that one?

Honestly love this mystery!
    I know; this whole topic combines two of my favorite 1980s-themed topics: action figures and Unsolved Mysteries. Too bad Robert Stack has passed away, would love to figure out how to get a (parody) UM segment done on this!

In any event, I was thinking about attacking this mystery from a different angle that raised a couple of questions in my mind. In particular, I was thinking about this form:

wbheman.jpg

Is there any consensus as to what this form actually offers? I think the easy thing would be to assume that the Mail Away figure one would receive would be Man-E-Faces... but this form doesn't say that. It has a picture of Man-E-Faces, and says the figure you will receive will come from the Masters of the Universe "category." That doesn't necessarily mean you would get Man-E-Faces. To further this point, at least some of the ads that have been dug up (like the Kohl's ad) that appear to plausibly refer to this promotion also appear to suggest Man-E-Faces would be available in-store... I would think the golden rule of mail aways would be that whatever figure that was being shipped out would not be currently available in-store. Imagine a parent who thinks they are getting some kind of a deal, promising a child a fourth "free" figure, and when the figure arrives it's one the parent has already purchased? That would be the risk you would run if the give-away through mail order was just a figure that was already available in-store, and you'd probably wind up with a bunch of angry parents (and kids) feeling like they've been duped.

Of course, some figures begin life as mail-orders, and are then ultimately made available through "normal" in-store outlets: Boba Fett and at least two versions of Cobra Commander leap to mind, as well as a pair of Evil Horde characters from the MOTU line:

9068196e6f2db7018f05c6b9546fafeb.image.400x344.JPG

And maybe that was the case here with Man-E-Faces, but it doesn't appear so - I can't find any reference to the idea that Man-E-Faces was ever available as an exclusive mail-away. Indeed, here are links to two separate catalogues of He-Man figure prices (i.e., after market guides). Both have a section for mail-aways (one is mail-away, and one is mail away/Foreign releases), and on each list, the only identifiable figure that could possibly be a mail-in is Savage He-Man.

So, my first question is, in thinking about this form: Does anyone know for a fact that mailing in THIS form led you to receive a particular figure that WASN'T Savage He-Man? I.e., that you definitely got something else? In other words, does anyone have any idea what figure you got when you mailed this form back? And is there any evidence that it could be anything else OTHER than Savage He-Man?

My second question follows from the first. If my assumption about the form above is right (that it does not promise any particular figure), I find it a little strange. I can think of all sorts of mail-away promotions from back in the day, some which eventually made it on to shelves (Cobra Commander, Boba Fett), and some that didn't (Clark Kent, a Batman: TAS one I did as a kid), but I can't think of a single other instance where a vague promise was made of a "mail away" figure where what you were getting wasn't specified. This offer seems to stand out to me in this regard.

So, my second line of questioning is: can anyone think of any other examples where a mail-order offer was made, with an unspecified toy to be returned in exchange for UPCs + shipping costs or whatever? And if not, does this imply that Mattel had more than one figure they intended to get rid of using this method, perhaps more than one production error that they used this promotion to dump (and hence they didn't specify what the figure would be, because different people would get different things)? And this leads back to my original question: are we aware of any other specific figures that would have been available through a mail-in promotion, other than the attested Evil Horde two-pack pictured above and our mysterious Savage He-Man?

- - - Updated - - -

Another way of putting all of this is: if we know that Mattel did indeed produce a certain number of the Savage He-Man figures (and I believe the preponderance of the evidence supports that at this point), and if we know that these were not sold at retail, and if we know that they still wound up in the hands of rank-and-file consumers, we would therefore know it must have been distributed through some other method at some point.

If we also know that there was a "Buy 3 Get 1 Free promotion" at some point, and that although there was a legitimate mail away promotion involving the Evil Horde mail away figures, this offer could not have been for those because you got two with that promotion, and if there here doesn't appear to have been any other figure that was ever offered as a mail-away from the MOTU line...

Then logic dictates the 3-for-1 guy had to have been Savage He-Man, right?

If you eliminate all the other possibilities, whatever is left must be the answer, however improbable.
    Last edited by mozartpc27; May 28, 2013 at 09:11pm.

Über Fan Adam_Prince of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mozartpc27 View Post
    My second question follows from the first. If my assumption about the form above is right (that it does not promise any particular figure), I find it a little strange. I can think of all sorts of mail-away promotions from back in the day, some which eventually made it on to shelves (Cobra Commander, Boba Fett), and some that didn't (Clark Kent, a Batman: TAS one I did as a kid), but I can't think of a single other instance where a vague promise was made of a "mail away" figure where what you were getting wasn't specified. This offer seems to stand out to me in this regard.

So, my second line of questioning is: can anyone think of any other examples where a mail-order offer was made, with an unspecified toy to be returned in exchange for UPCs + shipping costs or whatever? And if not, does this imply that Mattel had more than one figure they intended to get rid of using this method, perhaps more than one production error that they used this promotion to dump (and hence they didn't specify what the figure would be, because different people would get different things)?
    Yes; Mattel specifically did this with the Princess of Power Mystery Doll Promotion.

For whatever reason, Man-E-Faces was available at some places way before the Fall season. The Kohl's image I posted earlier is advertising both the "Buy 3 Get 1 Free" offer and Man-E-Faces, and it was published in the Wisconsin State Journal on April 17, 1983. It's possible he was available even earlier, though. By May, 1983, the promotion for Man-E-Faces was in full swing, as they were advertising free cardboard punch-outs of his laser gun.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...ps79ae4c15.jpg

On a related note, most of the toy ads for the 1982 line-up are from the 4th quarter, but there were some places that sold the figures earlier than that.

This is from June, 1982.

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/...erjune1982.jpg

P.S. Val, I will get to a response soon.
    Oh man, forget Savage He-Man. Let's marvel at the idea of a time when action figures were only 4 bucks XD

Widget
    To answer one of my own questions, I just remembered (and am pretty sure) that Prince Adam was a mail away before he was available regularly. Perhaps he was the free one you got with that coupon?

Anyone remember any other characters/figures that were available by mail away at one point?

- - - Updated - - -

A little bit more in the way of idle speculation:

Remembering that Prince Adam was once a mail-away got me thinking.

It would appear that this Buy 3 Get 1 Free offer appeared about the same time as Wave 2, including figures like Man-E-Faces and Ram-Man. If we can use other action figure lines of the period as a guide, it seems a common practice was to offer as a mail away a figure that would ultimately wind up in the next wave released if the line survived - thus Boba Fett was a mail away on SW cards, but wound up in general release on ESB cards; Cobra Commander was a mail-away with the first G.I. Joe assortment, but was on cards with the second; Steppenwolf was a mail-away with the first assortment of Super Powers, and was carded in the second. This pattern doesn't always hold true; some things stayed exclusive mail aways (like Clark Kent in the Super Powers line), but it is something we see a lot. Prince Adam would appear to have fit that mold, and would be right in line with that Buy 3 get 1 free offer, assuming it was made available as Wave 2 was released - Prince Adam would appear carded in Wave 3.

What I think is interesting here is the timing: I've read on here that Wave 2 was released in the Fall of 1983, but that it's possible some or all of the figures may have gotten out earlier than that:

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar
    So, it's possible that Wave 2 figures were hitting the shelves as early as the Spring of 83, when the television show was probably still in development/production. At the same time, I am sure Mattel was already planning its third wave, to take advantage of the TV show, probably as early as spring 1983.

What I am getting to is this: maybe Savage He-Man isn't a prototype or production error of a He-Man figure.

Maybe he is a prototype or production error of a Prince Adam figure.

Think about it: if Mattel was gearing up for the TV show in the Spring of 83, and the show didn't debut until the Fall, it is likely that the show was still undergoing development. We know that Adam was an invention for the TV show, and that there was at least one idea to try to make him distinguishable from He-Man (to make him smaller and less muscular). When Filmation decided that wouldn't work, perhaps Mattel and/or Filmation played around with changing his hair color as Prince Adam, even doing a limited production run from parts they had on hand in the Spring of 83 for test purposes (which would explain the "early" midsection error you see in legitimate Savage He-Men). Then the brown hair idea was scrapped by Filmation in favor of just putting clothes on the same character design, and so the Prince Adam we know was born, and a production run was started.

Some kids who mailed in their 3-for-1 forms got the early prototype Adam ("Savage"), and the rest got the Adam who wound up in the show and on shelves in Wave 3.

Total speculation, but I think there might be a connection between Savage He-Man and Prince Adam, since we know Prince Adam was available by mail, and Savage He-Man must have been available somehow.
    Last edited by mozartpc27; May 29, 2013 at 11:58am.

Widget
    I'm the guy who has a Savage on ebay right now. Been reading this thread because I've become interested in this whole mystery. As for the theory about it being from a specific store in Louisville or something, no way. I definitely got this while living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and I got it in 1983. I would have been too young and uninterested in He-Man before that. The theory that definitely rings a bell is the Man-E-Faces mail away promotion. I seem to recall a mail away promotion where I got the wrong figure back. As for what company, I grilled my mother and she said she never bought Wonderbread and couldn't quite recall where this one is from. She keeps bizarre records and even all the back cards for my figures. When I visit home ill look through that stuff. Maybe I can provide a piece of the puzzle.

Widget
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin A View Post
    I'm the guy who has a Savage on ebay right now. Been reading this thread because I've become interested in this whole mystery. As for the theory about it being from a specific store in Louisville or something, no way. I definitely got this while living in Milwaukee, Wisconsin and I got it in 1983. I would have been too young and uninterested in He-Man before that. The theory that definitely rings a bell is the Man-E-Faces mail away promotion. I seem to recall a mail away promotion where I got the wrong figure back. As for what company, I grilled my mother and she said she never bought Wonderbread and couldn't quite recall where this one is from. She keeps bizarre records and even all the back cards for my figures. When I visit home ill look through that stuff. Maybe I can provide a piece of the puzzle.
    My theory wasn't so much that it was from a specific store in Louisville, more that it was interesting that we have two posters claiming three figures all in the Louisville area (one poster said he knew 2 different kids each with one, another was a poster who lived in Louisville who had one). I am sure it was available elsewhere; we have folks from the Northeast, for example, who seem to have had them. What I was thinking was that, in the 80s, except for Toys 'R' Us, toy stores tended to be regional: Children's Palace was in the Midwest, and Lionel Kiddie City/Playworld in the East. So maybe Mattel ran promotions through regional chains, and if you could go check Louisville newspaper ads, you'd look for Children's Palace ads around 1983, and if you were doing it in say Connecticut, you'd look at Kiddie City/Playworld.

Widget
    Ah, gotcha. Misunderstood. If I find out anything else I'll post it. Sound like many are in agreement that this was a substitute for a mail order figure. Perhaps this was a run of figures that was made wrong and rejected and was just sitting around some warehouse. Some manager says "mail those instead" and poof, they are on the market. One thing that stands out as odd is that the loin clothe between He-Man and Savage He-Man are SLIGHTLY different. So, it's not the exact same mold. There is a space between the belt and clothe on Savage.

Asked my mother again and she says she thinks it was from cereal box top promotion. I haven't read that theory so I can't suggest it with great reliability. However, she may have a record of the mail away transaction in her filing cabinet. Again, ill have to check when I visit home next.
    Last edited by Justin A; May 29, 2013 at 12:33pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin A View Post
    One thing that stands out as odd is that the loin clothe between He-Man and Savage He-Man are SLIGHTLY different. So, it's not the exact same mold. There is a space between the belt and clothe on Savage.
    There are He-Man, Adam, Man-At-Arms and some others from the same mold with the gap. They all are from one of the Taiwan molds...the same as Savage He-Man

Widget
    What about the savage He-Man head on Buzz-offs body? That has the most simularity to anything else we see out there when were these mocked up, when was Buzz-Off changed?
    If these were made for a giveaway in 1983 or later why were they knocked up on 1981 molds and not a 1983 mold in another country like wave 2 or 3 figures were coming from then?