Page 96 of 99 FirstFirst ... 46869495969798 ... LastLast
Results 2,376 to 2,400 of 2452

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Bootleg Prince Adam

IMG_0001.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Justin A View Post
    Asked my mother again and she says she thinks it was from cereal box top promotion. I haven't read that theory so I can't suggest it with great reliability. However, she may have a record of the mail away transaction in her filing cabinet. Again, ill have to check when I visit home next.
    When will that be, out of curiosity? No rush.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Heroic Warrior
    Guys , colonel Parker has advised me not to do interviews unless I see 50 big one's first
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Quote Originally Posted by Torak View Post
    Bootleg Prince Adam

IMG_0001.jpg
    Bootleg Adam got an ax? I suddenly feel gyped XD
    And is it just me or does Bootleg Adam's weapons look even more painfully pink than the official one?

Widget
    Just wanted to throw this out there...

I just found a wonderbread mixed in with a box of MOTU that I bought at a yard in New Jersey, The guy I got it from said it was from a mail away that his Dad mailed in. He is going to talk to his Dad about which mail in it might have been....

Quote Originally Posted by BaggedBug View Post
    Just wanted to throw this out there...

I just found a wonderbread mixed in with a box of MOTU that I bought at a yard in New Jersey, The guy I got it from said it was from a mail away that his Dad mailed in. He is going to talk to his Dad about which mail in it might have been....
    Will be waiting in anticipation. If you can, please ask if he remembers the year he got the figure.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I'm pretty sure the 1-900 advert was about moving that poster and some of the current toy product. You can see Gwildor in the commercial, after all. But hey, ya never know!

I knew a kid who always seemed to get the new figures long before I saw them in the stores. Contacted him recently, and he doesn't remember having a brown-haired He-Man. Which leads me to believe it wasn't available here. Never heard of Children's Palace or Lionel Kiddie City/Playworld until reading this thread. I live in NE Tennessee.

I found a Savage He-Man at a flea market in Jonesborough for only $1 not long after I had been notified that my MOTUC figure Wun-Dar would ship late. Thought it was odd to find an obviously old worn He-Man figure painted like Wun-Dar, so I bought it. Otherwise, I would have thought it was a knock off and left without it. Had no idea what I found until reading this thread.

I really want one of these. What should I realistically pay for one. I see where people pay $150-$250 at toy shows and conventions. That I will do, but I'm not dropping $500 for one on eBay. Is the Marketplace here the best place to buy one reasonably??
    "Were does he get those wonderful toys.....Oh, eBay!

I remember the savage he-man. I just can't remember why. I never had one but I remember not being able to get one because we couldn't afford Wonderbread. Sticks in my memory like popcorn stuck in yer teeth. Was the figure ever shown on one of the product boxes or back / middle of the mini comics?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dragonrider1227 View Post
    I'm beginning to think Savage He-Man here has some strange power to sap everyone's memory of where he came from
    Wun-Dar: Heroic master of mind erasing!
    oh dear Grayskull, he's a SILENCE!

It's a Doctor Who Ref. Look it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayskull View Post
    I really want one of these. What should I realistically pay for one. I see where people pay $150-$250 at toy shows and conventions. That I will do, but I'm not dropping $500 for one on eBay. Is the Marketplace here the best place to buy one reasonably??
    A reasonable price would be 200US, but with the current motu popularity who knows?

anyway, don't give up on ebay, i have found this figure unannounced in motu lots quite a few times.
    Last edited by Arkangel; August 30, 2013 at 04:34am.

Heroic Warrior
    Is there a way to distinguish between true figures and customs that are being sold on Ebay? What is the value of a loose/complete savage he-man?

I've seen some in lots on eBay. It just kinda iffy. Not sure if those are real because the sellers never answer my questions.

I have to think that with all the mystery surrounding this and people just not knowing where it came from, I'm almost certain it has to do with the mail in form for the Buy 3 Get 1 Free promo. Most parents mailed those things in figuring they'd get Man-E-Faces back and got back the Savage He-Man figure. Being a parent, they probably didn't care what figure came back. haha

A lot of people nailed it on the head with the lawsuit with the Conan movie. These were probably figures that were made up and put on the shelf and Mattel figured they would send them out with this promo, but not give any details on it since it could result in another lawsuit. One with bigger ramifications since the MOTU line was starting to take off with popularity.

I remember a guy here that did an interview with his own brother...I think his theory was very convincing and open my mind about the real origin of Savage He-Man...

Some guys even compared the brown weapons that came with him (and Man-E-Weapons too) with last year Keldor's sword ( error production as a gift) !

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by motumaximus View Post
    A lot of people nailed it on the head with the lawsuit with the Conan movie. These were probably figures that were made up and put on the shelf and Mattel figured they would send them out with this promo, but not give any details on it since it could result in another lawsuit. One with bigger ramifications since the MOTU line was starting to take off with popularity.
    No way it could be related to Conan since Mattel themselves tried to find out it's origins

Also, the Conan thing has been shot down multiple times, as discussed throughout this thread. Even past employees who have no more love for Mattel say the Conan thing didn't have any connection to the plans and production of MOTU.

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Also, the Conan thing has been shot down multiple times, as discussed throughout this thread. Even past employees who have no more love for Mattel say the Conan thing didn't have any connection to the plans and production of MOTU.
    It's hard to believe then that these employees have no idea what this figure is then. Someone there has to know what the hell it is.

If it's something Marketing whipped together real quick for a promotional figure, it's easy to understand why many former employees don't know what it is.

There's surely someone somewhere who worked at Mattel that knows, though.

I just went through some of this thread and some googling. What is the verdict on the guy interviewing his own brother about the 3 for 1 giveaway? Is that the truth behind this figure?
    WTB:
    Loose: Sorceress, Whiplash
    MOC w/ mailers: Whiplash

Honestly the only thing left that I want is a great Entrapta!

Quote Originally Posted by jscott991 View Post
    I just went through some of this thread and some googling. What is the verdict on the guy interviewing his own brother about the 3 for 1 giveaway? Is that the truth behind this figure?
    I came across this auction last night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-He-Ma...p2047675.l2557

If you look at the question posted at the bottom, he got this figure from the 3-for-1 promotion. He seems pretty certain about it IMO.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by motumaximus View Post
    I came across this auction last night: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Savage-He-Ma...p2047675.l2557

If you look at the question posted at the bottom, he got this figure from the 3-for-1 promotion. He seems pretty certain about it IMO.
    Here's what he said

You are bidding on a savage he-man. I cut out my proof of purchases, mailed them in and this is what I received in the mail. I have seen others with different armor or no armor at all. this one came with he-man armor and a weapons pack. There is a small red stain on the armor but the figure is not stained. You are bidding on a portion of my childhood collection of Masters of the Universe. All of them have been played with and many of them have legs that have gotten a little loose, but they still stand on their own. I will try to list any major imperfections by character. In addition to what you see for sale I have several vehicles. Due to size and weight , shipping them can get pricey, so I have not listed them. If there is anything that you are looking for let me know. If I have it and can get it listed right away, we can combine shipping and get you a good deal.

I will ship anywhere in the USA. Hawaii and Alaska please get a shipping quote from me before bidding. I will not ship outside the USA.
    Please pay within 48 hours of the auction end. If you need more time contact me.
    I will combine shipping so by all means buy everything I have. Let me know if you have won or are bidding on multiple items so I do not miss it and can invoice it with one shipping cost.
    I understand that some of these items will be used in collections and condition is important, so if you have any questions or need more pictures just ask. If there is something that I see obviously wrong with an item I will list it.
    and

While this is the exact same figure that wonder bread sent out, I do not remember a wonder bread promotion. I remember a Mattel promotion for a mystery action figure. I saved my proofs of purchase and sent them in for my action figure and this is the one I received. I have heard of others that did this and received different masters of the universe. I just got the "he-man with brown hair". So, yes I have had this one since I was 12years old.

Heroic Warrior
    WOW this is a great mystery , my own opinion is that somewhere between the big jim line ,where some ideas were continued on to he man toys ,and masters of the universe actually being made , this figure was a Conan arnold schwarzenegger for either a movie or something ?, its just too likely due to its build and color scheme . i have a few of these, and from sitting at my desk he just looks like an arnold barbarian toy . if the color of these had been blue trunks with a green belt and any hair color different than arnold ,then i would believe it was a mysterious masters figure .or if they had later dates on them .i just think mattel made he man out of the same mold either to save money ?like the re use of the birds screech and the big jim eagle and battle cat and the big jim cats. or it was some kind of slap in the face to the conan franchise . i dont consider him as a fit in figure to the masters of the universe line at all , its a fun mystery and a rare figure that has its value due to its rarity .but i really wouldnt go out of my way to spend the money on this to call your motu collection complete .you decide for yourself ? i have made a few customs from the real ones using the real ones for color matching they sold for $40 years ago and yes i listed them as custom . but only a trained eye could tell . someone will figure this out someday ?????

image.jpgthis is on eBay now. Notice the hair!