Page 98 of 99 FirstFirst ... 488896979899 LastLast
Results 2,426 to 2,450 of 2458

Thread: The mysterious Savage He-Man variant formerly known as "Wonder Bread He-Man"

Quote Originally Posted by goneinsane View Post
    I'm not sure how accurate that statement is. I have other figures from that time made in Taiwan that don't have the gap and others that do. Even Mantisaur82's post above shows a 1981 Taiwan 1st release without the gap. How much are we actually relying on a small gap? How many reals have been discredited as a fake based on one Savage He-Man having a gap? The belly button seems like a better observation.
    The picture I posted is from the first release, they NEVER have The Gap.... The Gap appears on the figures from the period when the first release of Prince Adam appeared (and on some other Taiwan figures from that period... NOT ALL, but on SOME, since they are made at the same time but probably from more than one mold). The thing is that ALL SAVAGE HE-MAN came from ONE specific MOLD of the loincloth, the one with the gap (which was also used for some other Taiwan figures that were released between 1983-1984). But in combination of the torso mold of the early He-Man release (with the belly button). So it is composed from very recognizable two molds used on some figures produced in Taiwan factory.
    The "Gap" and the "Belly Button" are the most obvious things that are always present together on all Savage He-Man...they can be seen in other figures, but as far as I can remember, never both on the same figure unlike the case of Savage He-Man.

Also the rubber which holds legs in Savage He-Man never made black stains on his legs... which is often seen in later releases of He-Man and other mainly Taiwan figures, and it is present from figures which were produced at the same time...in a few runs... so it can appear on some variants, while on the others never appears... The early releases of Taiwan figures (as well as some later ones) never turn black stains... and that's the case with savage He-Man too.

The conclusion:
    -Savage He-man figures were produced all in one run, from a single combination of molds.
    -The torso mold is marked Taiwan 1981 and it was used for the early release figures made in 1981.
    -The loincloth mold was used for the figures which were released between 1983-1984.
    -He came with the maroon weapons, the same one which was sold with Man-E-Faces made in Taiwan re-release (produced 1982), called "Man-E-Weapons", which confirms the release time (NOT production time) between 1983-1984.
    -The legs of savage He-man never get black stains from the rubber.
    - Based on the reports of the owners, Savage He-Man don't have the head pin, which is ALWAYS present in regular soft head figures from all countries where MOTU was produced. That is a bit strange. :/
    -The eyes of the Savage figure has the same paint pattern which was seen in the early releases of He-Man Taiwan figures.
    Last edited by Mantisaur82; February 8, 2014 at 12:31pm.

There is a wonder bread on eBay right now . It looks pretty minty I wonder if it is worth picking up and sending it in to get graded ??

Quote Originally Posted by goneinsane View Post
    If Savage He-man is real, I believe I may have one. I have compared all of mine and found similarities in the ones I know are fake and a couple of strong differences in the one that is more likely to be the real thing.

Attachment 92644
    The face is a darker tone in the ones that I know are custom or fakes. The boots should have spray marks along the leg area unlike a custom that is more perfect along that edge.
    Attachment 92643
    There's also this little notch out of the shorts. The fakes don't have this.
    Both figures are fake. The colours say everything i don't even have to look any closer

Quote Originally Posted by Night Stalker View Post
    The very first thing to check is the gap between loincloth and torso. If your figure lacks that detail, then don't bother going any further.

Not entirely sure of that, i've have a few wonder-bread he-mans and one of them did not have the gap, although everything else looked exactly the same as the other ones, pretty consistent with colours, necklift all all.

These pictures are very old, but just to show how consistent the colours and features are:

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post
    Both figures are fake. The colours say everything i don't even have to look any closer

Not entirely sure of that, i've have a few wonder-bread he-mans and one of them did not have the gap, although everything else looked exactly the same as the other ones, pretty consistent with colours, necklift all all.

These pictures are very old, but just to show how consistent the colours and features are:

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...wb_he-man3.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...wb_he-man1.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...wb_he-man2.jpg

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w...wb_he-man4.jpg
    Is that He-Man Taiwan on the last photo???
    It looks like France or Spain, and that's not good for comparison with Savage He-Man.

Quote Originally Posted by Arkangel View Post

I just find it hard to believe that this extremely rare toy had more than one mold. I mean realistically, 99 out of 100 confirmed SHMs have the gap. That would lead me to believe that the one without a gap is a fake, no matter how authentic / well made it appears to be.

Or to put into other words, I have bought and sold several SHM over the years and they have all had the gap. People that have bought a figure without the gap all end up crying and gnashing their teeth because they've shelled out big bucks for a counterfeit.

So maybe there are a handful of Savage He-Men without a gap. This would make them by far the rarest MOTU figure ever produced. But until I see one in person, I consider it a fake.
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Widget
    What do you guys think of the Savage heman on ebay right now from seller jpalac74?
    item 151245850733

looks like he has one with a black panther also, im more interested in that one actually but on the listing above he states he has had multiple ones AFA graded.

I appreciate the help

I don't want to upset everybody, but couldn't the neck lift be because the head was replaced on a different body. I swapped countless heads and that's pretty much what you get when you do the forced squash spin back on (a gap with the pin removed). The legs are easy to, just swipe some tri-clops legs in place. The hardest part is getting the right brown for the loin cloth, but I think fisto's is close (but you would have the wrong stamped year. Unless you swap it with the right torso). All you have to duplicate is the brown hair, and the black belt. Because checking to see if the loin cloth was painted is easy. But their really isn't a paint good enough that can hold up like the vintage stuff. Pretty easy to get a fake savage He-Man. Could it be possible that the majority are fakes because of the easy to fake and only a few are legit. Without the neck gap. I think I just upset a lot of people! I have to run and check my wonderbread he-man like everyone else now!

PS. Black cat is super easy! Just take an old panther and keep him in pine sol for a night or two. De-flocks nicely and you have a sweet black panther! Old customizers trick!

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Umbloo; March 4, 2014 at 11:39pm.
    Great Traders :Wrathofskeletor,Patrick Bateman,Malakai9999,Baron Karza,Jacob,Toyjesus,Norvel33,NilsorII,Cjbol,Corbe e99,Skeledeuce,Hemanlives,TrozBloodbone,Mikescab,S pikor66,MEKANOSE,MOTU,Orko32,Fugitoid,BattleCatsMy Daddy,Domercon,slgcmg,Royalt1us,Bob,Sanctitas,Bone head,Lee,hogwart727,bengali94,Greyskull Guardsman,woo,Bigdaddy51200,Troy-Klops,ThePuzzler,ledmanno

Umbloo, your post is right on the money when it comes to "customizations" of SHM. There was a bootlegger, since banned from eBay, who would soak the hair of a regular HM figure in lime-away or some such substance. That way when you peeled off a little bit of the brown hair you would find flesh-colored skin underneath instead of a repainted blonde wig. The only way to spot the original colored hair is if you scraped off a bit at the temples, where the limeaway didn't reach.

His other "trick" was to use only Tri-Klops legs, like you mentioned.

Never heard about this method of de-flocking panthor. He's completely black underneath and the pine-sol doesn't damage the plastic? That would be awesome. I had a bootleg Cringer/Panthor black panther that came from Family Dollar .ca 1986 and I used to let Scareglow ride him. It would be cool to have another one.

I'd let Clamp Champ ride him, because in my canon he was sent away from Earth by government agents who didn't like his militant civil rights stance, and when he got to Eternia he discovered that all men were equal and he made it his home instead of trying to get back to Earth. I think a black panther for him to ride on would be awesome!
    1 of 200 active He-Man.org members.

Heroic Warrior
    I think many people have a WB in their toy bin , unaware of it's value , totally forgotten until they wanna sell their figs.......the gap thing is prolly just coincidence , some have but some don't. We prolly read way too much into it , that's human nature with a good mystery.
    Don't you have better thing to do than read this stupid signature

Tony Clifton : Kaufman was a hack....hack sack pack nack !

Is there a resource (or someone who is familiar with the figures worth) that lists what this figure is worth? I have collected loose figures, playsets and vehicles (and sold a lot of my duplicates on Ebay) for a long time and pretty much know the value of all of them but the Savage / Wonder Bread He-man figure. Google was no help.

I refuse to use Ebay completed auctions because of all of the fakes.

Can anyone offer some info?

Quote Originally Posted by Umbloo View Post
    I don't want to upset everybody, but couldn't the neck lift be because the head was replaced on a different body. I swapped countless heads and that's pretty much what you get when you do the forced squash spin back on (a gap with the pin removed). The legs are easy to, just swipe some tri-clops legs in place. The hardest part is getting the right brown for the loin cloth, but I think fisto's is close (but you would have the wrong stamped year. Unless you swap it with the right torso). All you have to duplicate is the brown hair, and the black belt. Because checking to see if the loin cloth was painted is easy. But their really isn't a paint good enough that can hold up like the vintage stuff. Pretty easy to get a fake savage He-Man. Could it be possible that the majority are fakes because of the easy to fake and only a few are legit. Without the neck gap. I think I just upset a lot of people! I have to run and check my wonderbread he-man like everyone else now!

PS. Black cat is super easy! Just take an old panther and keep him in pine sol for a night or two. De-flocks nicely and you have a sweet black panther! Old customizers trick!

- - - Updated - - -
    That's easier said than done trust me, i've had 4 savage he-mans bought from different sellers in different points in time and all of them consistently had the same features but more evidently, the same paintjob, the exact same colours.

Triklops legs and fisto's shorts are far off in colour and detail.

Quote Originally Posted by thebuckeye View Post
    Is there a resource (or someone who is familiar with the figures worth) that lists what this figure is worth? I have collected loose figures, playsets and vehicles (and sold a lot of my duplicates on Ebay) for a long time and pretty much know the value of all of them but the Savage / Wonder Bread He-man figure. Google was no help.

I refuse to use Ebay completed auctions because of all of the fakes.

Can anyone offer some info?
    I have searched more still looking for some info. Anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by thebuckeye View Post
    I have searched more still looking for some info. Anyone?
    It's not like this guy is quite unusual or super rare BUT it is scarce and because of that, price varies largely from time to time, i can tell you i've sold my savage he-mans for 150€ each and got my current one for 200€. I was willing to pay double that, just got lucky no one was as crazy as me in that auction you know what i mean?

Weird Wun-Dar entry on wiki

A friend of mine sent me a link to the He-Man Wiki,

http://he-man.wikia.com/wiki/Wun-Dar

Everything seems above the bar including the history. But the image caption caught his eye.

original mail-in brown hair He-Man prototype,originally,thought to be from a deal through Wonder Bread, But Later proven to come from a Mattel buy 3 get 1 free deal from Man-E-Faces.(1981)

The 1981 release for MEF aside, this seems like a pretty big revelation. is it possible this just slipped past me? Or is this incorrect?

That's interesting but how was it
    "proven to come from a Mattel buy 3 get 1 free deal from Man-E-Faces.(1981) "
    ?

This makes much more sense as I had the brown haired He man as a kid and I distinctly remember having to buy figures and send in POP (proof of purchase not Princess of Power). Besides, my family never had wonder bread we always ate the grocery store brand.
    Your witness Mr. Birdbrain.

This He-Man variant was available through a promotion that wonerbread had, it was actually given out as mistake instead of another action figured.
    Seems legit. Now we know it is a wonerbread promotional mistake instead of a Wonderbread offer. Now to find out about this mysterious wonerbread.

It has never been proven to be any kind of offer or giveaway. If anything the Wonderbread angle has been disproven or at least denied by the company and all leads dried up. It has never been proven to be from the buy 3 get one free mail offer either. Lack of evidence does not mean conclusively that it was not from some offer. Lack of proof does mean that it is still a mystery. It is just as likely to be a hoax as there is no proof either way that they were ever legitimately offered.

i keep forgetting why wonderbread mail away has been debunked. I shall write a book on the topic one of these days.

Either that or a youtube video.

Guys, I want to point out that this is from a WIKI entry, meaning anyone could have posted it and there doesn't seem to be anything to back it up. That's why I posted it. I'm tempted to say whoever captioned that photo was misinformed.

I agree. Since anyone can edit, whbinder you should brush up on the the mammoth Wonderbread/Savage He-Man thread and update the wiki. You do have a keen eye for detail.

Quote Originally Posted by Amra View Post
    I agree. Since anyone can edit, whbinder you should brush up on the the mammoth Wonderbread/Savage He-Man thread and update the wiki. You do have a keen eye for detail.
    Cracks open a Mt. Dew. Looks like I've got some reading to do.

I knew he was a mail in.....

Heroic Warrior
    Groveport, ohio, a suburb of the Capitol, Columbus
    What is a almost mint out of package savage he-man go for
    My wants:Evil Seed, Calix, Hungra,Sneer, Veena, Lady Slither

they varie a lot, safe value is somewhere between 200 and 400 us

meanwhile found this inflatable on ebay

curious colour scheme

MOTU Inflatable He-Man knock-off figure

Masters of the Universe inflatable He-Man type figure about 18 inches tall, aprox. 45 cm. Tercom Italy, 1980s.