Thread: Star Trek Select

Star Trek Select

Got the Star Trek Select Kirk and Spock today. And, frankly, I think they deserve their own thread since they aren't related to Into Darkness.

Oh man, I am going to have to eat some crow on these guys. When they first showed the concept of these, I was very skeptical. Why forgo articulation in the legs? The dioramas looked cool, but why cut articulation? The more pictures I saw the more I warmed to them, but was far from convinced. Did I want to buy these? The truth is, I grew up with TNG, and though I enjoy the original series I have never bought a ton of the merch with them. I passed on most of the Playmates of the original crew. Same with DST/Art Asylum's offerings. But I decided to give these a go.

I'm so glad I did. I've had a total blast with these figures. I really think everyone is going to get one hell of a kick out of these.

All the pictures here are just the two Select sets. I didn't buy the TRU ones. But just in these two sets you have an AMAZING amount of options.

I'm only posting some pics here. If you want to see the full set you can go here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3104563...7634398796061/

Spock is the crowning achievement here. The only thing he's missing is the Vulcan Salute hand, and I imagine if Selects take off we'll get another Spock one day that can include that. I'm not sure if one of the hands from past DST figures would work? I'll check that out.

The Horta base is incredibly well realized. I do miss the eggs. But it's a small thing to lose. He looks great interacting with it in a variety of ways.

The alternate head sculpt is awesome for all kinds of poses and scenes. It makes me wish Kirk had another head even more. But what we are getting here is so phenomenal that softens the blow.

Nothing prepares you for how HUGE the diorama with Kirk is. It's incredibly well detailed and painted. I love the swappable cardboard backdrop. A really clever way to approach this.

Can I just say, I think this might be the best Kirk head sculpt ever? I know not everyone has loved it, but I really see Shatner in there. More than any other action figure I can think of.

I'm officially sold on the solid legs, btw. These figures are just so much more dynamic and exciting than even the past DST figures I've bought. I compare the energy with these to the TNG and Wrath figures I just got. There's just no comparison. It's like the best of action figures and statues combined. I'm blown away by how much I like this.

Just a comparison (I have no TOS figures from AA/DST) to show you how much more natural and dynamic you can get these figures compared to past figures.

I don't want to overload this with pics, but I had to show more. Again, if you want to see a few more (or see these much larger, I uploaded them at almost full res) click the link above.

Final thoughts? Part of me thinks these are almost TOO good. What do I mean? Well, I am hoping Picard comes with some extra hands ands stuff. Or at least that his torso is made like these so future TNG figures can swap parts with him. The dioramas, the extra parts and the sheer scale of the HUGE amount of awesome that comes with these is so incredibly impressive. I hope they keep it up with Picard. I'm already loving the Borg Base and half Borg after being a bit skeptical of them. But if the final figure likeness turns out like these, then he'll be a must-have. I just hope they are being conservative with what they are showing of him so they can show us more, not less, and avoid the disappointment some have felt when certain pieces were cut from these. But let me tell you, there's no reason to be disappointed by these at all. To offer these with all these parts for $25 (I got mine for $20 and they are pretty readily available at this price) is pretty amazing.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I suppose we should be thankful we get them at all- JJ Abrams is rather arrogant about his new canon and it's probably going to be a miracle we get anything from the original version whatsoever as long as he's in charge of the franchise now.

Are you talking about that licensing conflict story? I think that's hogwash. Nothing in his interviews makes me think he's particularly arrogant about his version. It's his take on it. Fine. I like it, but the Prime universe is where my heart will always lie.

Anyway, what do you think about the figures that this topic is actually about?

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Personally, I'm glad the we're still getting Prime universe novels. Hell I wish they could have used the continuation for the crews set after 'Nemesis', Voyager and DS9. I think the Star Trek: Titan and Star Trek: Vanguard series are awesome, with Titan following the stories of Captain Riker and crew. And Vanguard was set during the Original Series timeframe, giving us backgrounds and history for the likes of Dr. Carol Marcus, Dr. Jabilo M'Benga and Admiral Heihachiro Nogura, the soon to be Starfleet CO and the reason Kirk was suckered into the Admiralty in the first place.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

I'd be more interested if they featured one set of articulated legs because I'm not especially interested in just displaying them. I see the point about the crouching pose, but still I'd want some non-statue alternatives. Still they do look very cool. I'm a fan of TOS, TNG, and DS9 with the TOS movies being my favorite era largely thanks to Peter David's comics at the time. I grew up with TNG too, but the emotions of the TOS movies were the most epic of the franchise I thought, and TNG never did action scenes as well as TOS (unless it's Worf with his bat'leth).

Just on a side note, I miss Shatner's ego in the Kirk character. He would never have allowed Spock to do all the fisticuffs as happened at the end of Into Darkness. At the very least he'd have had to be injected with some of the super-blood from one of the other eugenic super men in stasis and then he would have beamed down to have a super-man fight with Kahn to save Spock's tail instead of Uhura zapping him.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

I was really impressed with the (p)reviews I saw of these guys. I am leaning towards getting them but I may leave them MOC. I dunno.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Merry Christmas Everyone! MOTU_Maniac's Avatar
    Wow! Those are awesome! I wish I had known about these before I purchased the TRU versions and I would have bought them instead.
    In the bleak midwinter, frosty wind made moan,
    Earth stood hard as iron, water like a stone;
    Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow,
    In the bleak midwinter, long ago...
    ...a stable place sufficed.

What can I give Him, poor as I am?
    If I were a shepherd, I would bring a lamb;
    If I were a Wise Man, I would do my part;
    Yet what can I give Him?....[I can] give my heart.

Quote Originally Posted by gbagok View Post
    I'd be more interested if they featured one set of articulated legs because I'm not especially interested in just displaying them. I see the point about the crouching pose, but still I'd want some non-statue alternatives.
    I think, from their perspective, they've already done those figures. So they are trying something new. I can respect that. It's just, comparing how dynamic these look on the shelf versus their past offerings (I have most of the TNG and Wrath of Khan figures) I actually think I prefer these a great deal. Part of it is that DST were never able to put a huge amount of articulation in their figures. And, sometimes, on a regular human figure too much articulation is weird looking.

Still they do look very cool. I'm a fan of TOS, TNG, and DS9 with the TOS movies being my favorite era largely thanks to Peter David's comics at the time. I grew up with TNG too, but the emotions of the TOS movies were the most epic of the franchise I thought, and TNG never did action scenes as well as TOS (unless it's Worf with his bat'leth).
    I love those Peter David comics. He's one of my favorite comic writers all around, but those comics in particular were great. I bought all the Star Trek comics on DVD not too long ago partly just to re-read those again.

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    I was really impressed with the (p)reviews I saw of these guys. I am leaning towards getting them but I may leave them MOC. I dunno.
    The only thing that wouldn't be great with them MOC is that there are a lot of pieces on display. They might not be as "clean" a display as an MOC person might like?

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Wow! Those are awesome! I wish I had known about these before I purchased the TRU versions and I would have bought them instead.
    I did wonder if more casual fans would get the TRU versions (which seem to have been snapped up everywhere instantly!) and then discover these later. Still, the TRU ones do have their charms, and are $5 cheaper each. I wondered if TRU would keep asking for stripped down versions with Picard. But Picard is already going to be stripped down compared to these!

I plan on snagging these. I have the AA figures of OS Kirk, Spock, and McCoy and Khan but you're right- these are really dynamic with great dioramas. While I love articulation, the more I photograph my figures and show them off to others, the more I appreciate figures that do offer something besides super articulation. Don't get me wrong- I'd never want my MOTUC or Marvel Legends to function like this, but for some lines and licenses it just works. Your shots are great, especially the Kirk/Khan fight and the one with Spock right next to the Horta.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    As big a fan as I am of the original series, I passed on these and the TRU versions. Sorry, I can't get past the statue part; to me, there is nothing dynamic about a figure I can put in two poses and that's it. It worked okay 40 years ago with Aurora's Monster Scenes and Prehistoric Scenes models (very much the same idea with the human(oid) figures), but it is a major step backwards here. The previous figures had decent articulation, but to me the next step would have been to make something along the lines of DCUC type figures. The Diamond Universal Monsters (and Munsters) are amping up the articulation on a lot of the figures, and with excellent results. Grampa and Herman from the Munsters are exceptional examples of doing human figures with clothes and having the articulation integrate smoothly. A Spock who can assume that kneeling pose and then actually get up would be something I'd buy. These are part of the trend we're seeing of cutting costs by taking us back a few decades in terms of articulation. The diorama pieces are nice, but I'd rather have the money go into the figures themselves.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

These are WAY beyond statues, though. I understand what you're saying, but to be honest you can get a lot more than two poses, which I think these demonstrate well. It's only the legs that aren't fully articulated. The previous figures had okay articulation but you could never get them into decent action poses of any kind. A DCUC type figure might sound good (not so sure for non superhero characters though) but I don't think anyone is going to make a Star Trek line with that much articulation and added cost.

Once I find the right pose for a figure, that figure typically stays in that pose with little to no variation. Their limited articulation is non-issue for me.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I suppose we should be thankful we get them at all- JJ Abrams is rather arrogant about his new canon and it's probably going to be a miracle we get anything from the original version whatsoever as long as he's in charge of the franchise now.
    Just was out at Book a Million last night- they had an entire section of Original Series Star Trek stuff. Hardly saw anything from the Abrams stuff at all. In fact, as an OS fan I think we're seeing more stuff from the OS than ever before.
    Looking for movie reviews, geek news, and other such nonsense? Check out my site: http://www.thepicreview.com/

"We have a Ram-Man"

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Any DS9 related ones would be nice.
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live

I need a figure like that of the doctor from Voyager.
    He weeps, for he has but one small tongue, with which to taste an entire world!

Lots of original custom t-shirts and stickers available @ http://www.redbubble.com/people/mightyrain
    Many designs based on Masters of the Universe, Classic video games and random movies/cartoons/movies we all know and love.

Quote Originally Posted by Sorceress View Post
    Any DS9 related ones would be nice.
    We badly need a Quark figure with his bar as the diorama stand. And an Odo to lean angrily on it!

Quark and the Doctor would be awesome.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    These are WAY beyond statues, though. I understand what you're saying, but to be honest you can get a lot more than two poses, which I think these demonstrate well. It's only the legs that aren't fully articulated. The previous figures had okay articulation but you could never get them into decent action poses of any kind. A DCUC type figure might sound good (not so sure for non superhero characters though) but I don't think anyone is going to make a Star Trek line with that much articulation and added cost.
    Keep in mind, I grew up with the original Trek figures from Mego, back when "fully articulated" actually meant that. And, despite the "toyish" look, the Playmates figures had some decent articulation, especially compared to the other offerings at the time (five points was still very much in vogue).

I grew up with 12" Joes, Captain Action and Mego, so things like this where there's nothing moving below the waist just automatically turn me off. The old days really spoiled me for life...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Cat dead, details later Sorceress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Flor2099 View Post
    We badly need a Quark figure with his bar as the diorama stand. And an Odo to lean angrily on it!
    Yep
    Rob Kerr- 1979-2006. I will always love you.

DISCLAIMER: The above post is not meant to offend, if you feel insulted by it then use the pm button to discuss it with me.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/839006124/nevermore-0?ref=live