Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DC MOTU Comic - Anyone thinking about not reading any more?

DC MOTU Comic - Anyone thinking about not reading any more?

So, I see that a lot of people are criticizing the DC MOTU comic but they keep reading it. Is anyone thinking seriously about quitting it?

My problem is that I want to support the brand, but I am thinking - am I doing it a disservice by buying something I think is not good enough? If we support a subpar comic just because there's a MOTU logo on the cover are we encouraging a bad direction and, in doing so, eroding the whole brand?

I don't want to go into what exactly bothers me, there are other threads for that, but there's one thing that really made me thinking I should stop buying. Last night, I downloaded the comic and started reading from issue 1 again and when He-Man's transformation page comes in issue 2, I looked at it, and I thought oh, yeah, this is He-Man, this is the transformation... What came before was so out of place, and so non-MOTU that I literally forgot that I was reading a He-Man comic. That one page, with a big transformation panel, with He-Man shouting "I have the Power!" at the same time reminded me of the great past MOTU entertainment but also brought home how much the new DC comic is removed from the MOTU universe I know.

Just wandering if there are other people who feel the same, and who are buying the comic even if they don't like it. Should we "vote with our wallet"? Is that the right thing to do?

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    So, I see that a lot of people are criticizing the DC MOTU comic but they keep reading it. Is anyone thinking seriously about quitting it?

My problem is that I want to support the brand, but I am thinking - am I doing it a disservice by buying something I think is not good enough? If we support a subpar comic just because there's a MOTU logo on the cover are we encouraging a bad direction and, in doing so, eroding the whole brand?

I don't want to go into what exactly bothers me, there are other threads for that, but there's one thing that really made me thinking I should stop buying. Last night, I downloaded the comic and started reading from issue 1 again and when He-Man's transformation page comes in issue 2, I looked at it, and I thought oh, yeah, this is He-Man, this is the transformation... What came before was so out of place, and so non-MOTU that I literally forgot that I was reading a He-Man comic. That one page, with a big transformation panel, with He-Man shouting "I have the Power!" at the same time reminded me of the great past MOTU entertainment but also brought home how much the new DC comic is removed from the MOTU universe I know.

Just wandering if there are other people who feel the same, and who are buying the comic even if they don't like it. Should we "vote with our wallet"? Is that the right thing to do?
    Sigh.... I feel just as you do, and have been agonizing over this VERY issue since the miniseries came to what was - for me at least - such a vapid and wrong-headed conclusion. I hoped that the ongoing series would be better; but I confess to both disappointment and anger. WHY can't these comics be better? Is this stuff - plainly turned out by the tear-off sheet like paper used in the bathroom - REALLY the best that DC (and Mattel) can offer?

What I can't understand is that there is a really successful template out there - the MVCs of only ten years ago. All it would have taken was some planning and care, and the hiring of a writer who knew and respected Eternia and a cadre of talented artists. The plots aren't exactly Tolstoy, are they? Yet Staples wrote them with care and understanding and - yes - love; and it shows, patently - and EVEN MORE now when the competition (if it can even be called that) is so lousy. It is a crude and amateurish mess by comparison.

Sales figures suggest no great influx of new devotees to the property - most comic fans seem - at best - indifferent. The fact that this discussion is even being held at all - HERE, on the .Org, suggests that something is rotten in the state of Eternos.
    Old fans fall off; no new ones are won - what conclusion is any sentient being supposed to draw? That the property is being appallingly mishandled?

Well;that isn't up to me - or anyone else hereabouts, in all likelihood. But I feel vastly resentful about this backward step -and SOMEONE must be to blame.

So what does one do? Cancel the sub (as many of our colleagues have already done?) or hold on grimly in the hope that recent faint (very faint) signs of normality in the last issue may yet come to good?
    I wish I knew. The better part of me tries hard to forgive and to hope; the lesser one lashes its tail in sheer frustration and thinks 'to H--- with this lark.'

It's not a lot of money to pay, true - and at its worst it has a dreadful kind of fascination, like bear-baiting. But I am convinced that this is doing harm to the long-term sustainability of the brand - by reducing it to the level of a joke, a knowing nudge-nudge, wink-wink by the uncaring perpetrators at our expense - and at the expense of Eternia.

And that I find hard to forgive; very hard. To me, MotU deserves the best - and nothing but the best - always.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Not only have I thought about it, but I stopped purchasing them after issue 1. I glanced through issue #2 in the shop but had already heard a lot of negatives about it, which were pretty much confirmed. Haven't even looked at Issue #3, and don't plan to.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Stopped reading after about 4 of the online ones, and issue #2. No interest. I could also care less about the mini-Masters. I like the MOTUC mini-comics and MOTUC and, of course, vintage material/stuff. No interest in these, just like I have no interest in the 200x comics.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    I was hoping for a turn to the better aufter the six-part miniseries. But it got worse. I stopped supporting this crap after #1 of the ongoing series.
    There is no sense in wasting money on something i do not like just for the sake of MotU.

Nope.

It's a fun read, only costs a few bucks, and features new stories in my favorite series. I hope it has a long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Pollex Christi View Post
    Nope.

It's a fun read, only costs a few bucks, and features new stories in my favorite series. I hope it has a long run.
    I agree, I'm enjoying it enough to continue reading.

I see no reason to stop buying them, in fact I can't wait to see the next issue.
    there are much more people who like these comics than people who hate it,in my perspective of course.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Heroic Warrior
    Already stopped it, these comics did nothing for me...

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaTactics420 View Post
    I agree, I'm enjoying it enough to continue reading.
    I'm also ready for the next issue!

They are definitely not perfekt! The first five issues + some of the digitals where really lame. And why the first comic after multible year was about Sir Laserlot! That was not a good idea IMO!

But i enjoy the ongoing serie so far! I also like to see new directions for Masters of the Universe!

I'm on hiatus as far as these comics go. If I hear that things are getting better and are a must read, I will pick them up again. But after the 1st mini-series ended, I've had no desire to keep reading them. The Orko digital comic is the only one that truly made me smile.

I do know how what you mean about supporting something that you feel is subpar, that's how I felt throughout the entirety of the 2k2 era, from the toys to the comics, I basically just supported it because it was He-Man and no other reason. At least things are sort of back on track and in the right direction with MOTUC.
    Proud supporter of the Snake Men.

Most Wanted: Slave Girl, Eldor, Spinnerella, Mermista, Peekablue, Crita, Lizorr, Tyrantisaurus Rex, Battle Ram, Great Black Wizard.
    Most Wanted for Filmation Sub: Madame Razz with Broom, Lord Masque, Ileena, Granita, General Sunder.

No Slave Girl? Watch us hurl!

A barbaric world without slave girls? That's truly barbaric!

Quote Originally Posted by Jean View Post
    I do know how what you mean about supporting something that you feel is subpar, that's how I felt throughout the entirety of the 2k2 era, from the toys to the comics, I basically just supported it because it was He-Man and no other reason. At least things are sort of back on track and in the right direction with MOTUC.
    For sure . . .

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Squeeeze 4) Roton 5) Multi-Bot 6) Dragstor 7) Saurod 8) Blast-Attak 9) Karg 10) Lodar 11) Mask of Power Demons 12) TC Skeletor 13) FF He-Man 14) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 15) Road Ripper 16) Lord Masque 17) Filmation Teela

I love the comic, I feel like it's one of the best MOTU stories ever.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

No. I am actually one of the few who find the stuff like angry Teela and the bickering quite funny. I would prefer something closer to the MVC comics which I loved but this take on MOTU is quite entertaining to me.
    Wanna see whales in giant mechsuits protect mankind against evil aliens?
    Check out: http://mechawhales.com/

Collectible figures available from: http://www.deepfriedfigures.com/

My 3D printed action figures: http://www.hauke-scheer.de/

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    I love reading new motu of any kind. I'm not gonna stop. If you don't like it just don't read it. either you're entertained or not.

I don't get why some fans think THIS is the new canon that all motu will be based off of....think of it as an alternate universe and all will be good. ( I do dislike the teela hating on mek but what ever)

Quote Originally Posted by goluphi View Post
    I love the comic, I feel like it's one of the best MOTU stories ever.
    I totally agree, it's one of the best comic series ever published though in truth that was not so difficult . Motu comics were never the great thing maybe the MVC comics but these were extremely limited on stories by the TV series .
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

I'm not thrilled with the current DC series, I'm just not sold on the art or story at this point. But I've started it and will see it through, but the MVCreations art and story blow the DC series away.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by colt44 View Post
    I'm not thrilled with the current DC series, I'm just not sold on the art or story at this point. But I've started it and will see it through, but the MVCreations art and story blow the DC series away.
    ABSOLUTELY - the MVC comics were superior in every single way; I find it almost impossible to believe that some people can actually bring themselves to state that they prefer this junk. It must be some kind of failure of translation.....

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    ABSOLUTELY - the MVC comics were superior in every single way; I find it almost impossible to believe that some people can actually bring themselves to state that they prefer this junk. It must be some kind of failure of translation.....
    People do have their preferences. For example, some 200X fans scratch their heads because they can't imagine how others can think the original vintage designs were superior over the 200X designs.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I stopped reading after Issue #1 of the Ongoing. I have been monitoring people's reactions in the hope it might turn out well enough to get the collected edition, but it got to the point where I was getting no enjoyment out of it. Not due to the changes, but because I just didn't think it was well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
    Sales figures suggest no great influx of new devotees to the property - most comic fans seem - at best - indifferent. The fact that this discussion is even being held at all - HERE, on the .Org, suggests that something is rotten in the state of Eternos.
    Ehhh...we've had threads with fans who didn't want POP, NA and 200X in Classics. Things aren't universally liked among all MOTU fans.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    People do have their preferences. For example, some 200X fans scratch their heads because they can't imagine how others can think the original vintage designs were superior over the 200X designs.
    Oh Maxwell . . .

I have quit reading the comics now. As I said to some people in the chat room, I bought the six issue mini-series, the 8 digital comics, the 3 origins and the first 2 issues of the ongoing (so that is 19 comics) and I only liked the Orko digital one, the rest I absolutely HATED and consider them to be some of the worst written crap that I have had the terrible misfortune to read in a LONG LONG time.

Oh and as for supporting the brand... I am not wasting my money on god awful trash like that for any reason and if that means the brand comes closer to ending because of it then so be it.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

I will give it a couple more issues but so far I have not enjoyed it. I want to give it a good chance to get going but if it does not improve at entertaining me then I will stop buying it.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Oh Maxwell . . .
    More like maximum...