Thread: She-Ra's impact on your childhood?

She-Ra's impact on your childhood?

I know this topic comes up repeatedly, however, with me taking a class on childhood in America, and having to do some kind of 30 minute presentation on something I know I figured He-Man and She-Ra would be a good subject I can focus on. So as the class is about childhood I am asking what impact She-Ra had on your childhood and has She-Ra impacted your life in regards to career and the like? This is about She-Ra specifically only as there is a thread for He-Man in the He-Man board. If you do not wish to post it publicly to the boards you are more than welcome to PM me privately. I thank you all for your replies and time.
    Mattel I demand the following:

Spinwit,Spinnerella, The Scientists, Rio Blast, Mara, Crita, Kayo, Mermista,

My Facebook, check it out!

Crystal Moonbeam & Shezar The All American's Avatar
    I had no Princess of Power figures a kid, but my sister did. We had the whole universe. I can speak on behalf of how it affected my sister. She-Ra finally gave girls an action figure line. My sister was always into fantasy, and I do recall POP gave a reason for girls to not be so girly, while still being girly (doll enough, mothers didn't mind buying for their daughters). A lot of the She-Ra characters were positive role models of strong women that weren't the typical boring stereotypical female. My sister loathed Barbie, because she wasn't the kind of kid that idolized stereotypical female chattiness, shopping, and fashion. She-Ra allowed my sister to be herself while still having something unique to her gender. She-Ra gave tomboys a chance to be comfortable in their own skin.

The fantasy from Princess of Power appealed to my sister's artistic talent. She later became a graphic artist in her career (and is the one who made some cool She-Ra Sims a number of years ago). At one point, I recall googling "She-Ra", and one of her Sims came up as the third image on the search!

Personally, toys like Barbie didn't appeal to me as much as my She-ra toys. I was never that "girly" of a girl. I never wore dresses (still don't), never got into fashion, or any of that stuff. She-ra was strong and independent. She fought for what she believed in; what was right. That's what I took away from that. Growing up I didn't give in to a lot of things. I stood up for the little guy so to speak. I wasn't afraid to tell people off when they were teasing someone...unfortunately this happened often. Even when times got tough and I had to make difficult decisions I always did my best to do the right thing. I believe this all started from my childhood. Positive role models like She-ra helped to shape me into who I am today. I rarely make time for myself because I'm too busy taking care of others. I care more about the happiness of my friends and family than anything else. She-ra did the same. She always put her friends first, and maintained a good relationship with her family. I know that She-ra had a major impact on my life, and definitely affected who I became as an adult. She was very admirable in a fantastic way!

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    I am in much of the same boat as the other two... I grew up watching he-man and she-ra, but of course she-ra had the biggest impact on me... I never knew how much until my art advisor in college gave us an assignment to create a visual autobiography. We had to show what had influence us and our artwork from childhood on. As I delved into my childhood, I kept finding she-ra influences everywhere.

I learned much of my most basic drawing from watching the show and the coloring books. We had so many! My sister and I had nearly every figure in the line between the two of us. The cartoon provided a powerful, yet kind role model in a time when I needed it most. I still think girls today would benefit tremendously from a role model like filmation's she-ra.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyAngora View Post
    I am in much of the same boat as the other two... I grew up watching he-man and she-ra, but of course she-ra had the biggest impact on me... I never knew how much until my art advisor in college gave us an assignment to create a visual autobiography. We had to show what had influence us and our artwork from childhood on. As I delved into my childhood, I kept finding she-ra influences everywhere.

I learned much of my most basic drawing from watching the show and the coloring books. We had so many! My sister and I had nearly every figure in the line between the two of us. The cartoon provided a powerful, yet kind role model in a time when I needed it most. I still think girls today would benefit tremendously from a role model like filmation's she-ra.
    LadyAngora I couldn't agree more. A role-model like She-Ra would be a great benefit today when all the kids have to watch is lame poorly computer animated weird looking characters making adult themese references and fart noises. I watched both He-Man and She-Ra, only had a handful of the POP toys but yeah, I can see where cartoons with strong moral values such as She-Ra, He-Man and even G.I. Joe helped to shape a generation and that "shape" is missing in today's young people. I see it at work, now that I am getting older, and we are hiring the so-called "next generation". We have girls show up to an office environment with obviously no respect for themselves or others and you can tell in the way they dress, the way they act. We have one in particular, 20-something girl, who walks up and down the hallway making those same obscene noises. Drives me crazy it is so immature. I know the values have to come from many places, but She-Ra and He-Man did indeed instill some sense of manners in children of the 80's. Great thread.

Widget
    I was a huge fantasy fan as a kid, and I gravitated towards princesses who could save themselves, like Wonder Woman and Princess Leia. But She-Ra was different, because it was the first princess that I got to experience her creation, since Wonder Woman had been around for a few decades, and Star Wars came out the year before I was born. I loved all toys, both for girls and boys, and I played a lot of GI Joe, Transformers, and He-Man with my friends. I loved Masters of the Universe, especially Teela.

When She-Ra came along, I was engrossed in that universe. Here was an action figure line that was truly mine--all the swords and magic of He-Man, but with a girly twist. Princess of Power played into everything I loved as a child: unicorns, fantasy, space, monsters--all in a cartoon aimed at girls. Finally, I thought. Somebody in the toy world gets that I don't always want to play with dolls. I got all of my Princess of Power stuff for Christmas one year: Swift Wind, Crystal Castle, and all of the figures in the first wave except Bow and Kowl. That was the best Christmas ever, and that's saying something considering my childhood Christmases were a veritable who's who of '80s toys and pop culture.

As far as her impact on my childhood? She-Ra, like Wonder Woman and Leia before her, taught me that princesses don't have to be damsels in distress, that we can save the world. She-Ra is a symbol of overcoming things in your past and becoming the best that you can be.

In my adulthood, I've regretted getting rid of my Princess of Power stuff. I bought a collection a couple of weeks ago that brought me a long way in putting a complete PoP collection together. It included a Crystal Castle that was only missing one door, which I ordered and got in yesterday. Putting that last door on it almost brought a tear to my eye, as all of the memories of that Christmas morning came rushing back.
    Now is time for cake!
    Twitter: @geeky_vixen