Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread July 2013

Quote Originally Posted by Jaw Bridge View Post

Batros was only in one episode, and he got a figure.

Why not do the same for Masque?
    I didn't say he shouldn't, I was clarifying that he was only in one episode, not two.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Here's my conspiracy theory: If Nepthu is getting a slot and we might have more controversial character choices, maybe the line wasn't as in danger as we were led to believe.

The fans are deathly afraid of the end of the line, but TG is the only one here who knows exactly how healthy the line is. For all we know, the line was doing fine last year, but TG was scaring us with the 2013 sub scare to get higher sales out of the fanbase to justify making Castle Grayskull.

- - - Updated - - -

The first character made wasn't a Vintage character at all. In fact, there was a slide showing all of the possible characters that they were going to try to make in the line who weren't in the Vintage line. This was shown at SDCC 2008.

http://i768.photobucket.com/albums/x...c/IMG_7825.jpg

Mattel already tossed out that 2 pack idea, when the line was announced.
    I personally think you are right. I don't think the line was in as dire straights as we were lead to believe. I'm not accusing anyone, I'm just saying I still think those sub percentages we were given were fishy. I don't recall the exact numbers but we went from around 82% to 125% in less than 12 hours, it might have been 6 hours. My statistics professor in college taught to question that kind of improbable move.

Again, not accusing anyone. It just smells fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if the line is healthier than some think.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post
    I personally think you are right. I don't think the line was in as dire straights as we were lead to believe. I'm not accusing anyone, I'm just saying I still think those sub percentages we were given were fishy. I don't recall the exact numbers but we went from around 82% to 125% in less than 12 hours, it might have been 6 hours. My statistics professor in college taught to question that kind of improbable move.

Again, not accusing anyone. It just smells fishy. I wouldn't be surprised if the line is healthier than some think.
    I agree with your larger point. BUT it also seems to me that a lot of websites/secondary sellers would be likely to wait until the last minute.

Quote Originally Posted by jibernish View Post

Which is why no matter what, I'm not letting the eventual panic that's going to explode all over the boards dampen my SDCC spirit this summer the way it did last! I remember being so excited about the reveals, and then BAM! Come the following Monday, all the news that started trickling out really REALLY hampered any enthusiasm I had. This year, I'm reveling in all that is shown. My ONE order for 2014 is already in place, and I'm not placing another no matter how loud "FIRE!" is screamed. Either 2014 goes through, or it doesn't- it's out of my hands. But I'm fairly certain that it will, no matter what.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Can somebody please explain the hate for Nepthu? Plundor I can slightly understand, as he is a giant pink bunny, but Nepthu? Is it simply because Scott likes him?

I like Plundor now, he's grown on me. Nepthu looks Egyptian, what's so bad about that? Both characters would be good to have, and both would help bank tooling dollars for the line because they would be so easy to make. Besides, who are they going to keep us from getting if they are slotted in? Does anyone really think that Razz and Broom, Sea Hawk, Scorpia, Strong-Arm and Lizard Man have not been slotted in by the end of 2015? Really?
    To me Nepthu is just extremely bland, he may be cool figure "if" produced but I'd just prefer many more before him. And Plundor I just have zero desire to own (except for my OCD completist mentality) and would prefer almost every other character with a few exceptions. To me it would be overwhelmingly disappointing to own either of these characters instead of either Masque or Huntara, whichever may never get made?

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I agree with Canada-Man. Sure, we'd all like to get exactly what we like. And sure, a large percent of fans agree there's a few stinkers in the line. But if I don't want a figure, I can simply sell it off or trade it out. For the most part, I think the character selection in this line has been incredible.

Skystalker, I definitely don't hate Nepthu. He's just not anywhere on my own want-list in terms of figure priority. So I understand annoyance. But, the outrage around him from some folks puzzles me as well. Some people have said some really nasty things elsewhere online. IMO, it makes no sense to reduce it to that level over a toy.
    I love the diversity of the line also, but as they dig into the more "comical" characters I just see missing characters that I find more interesting or "cooler", I just don't think 2016 will happen. Hopefully I'm wrong but maybe even 2015 fails?

I have a theory that the 4H might actually make Plundor look pretty awesome and when he does come out everyone's going to be scrambling for him......

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    I have a theory that the 4H might actually make Plundor look pretty awesome and when he does come out everyone's going to be scrambling for him......
    I would bet against your theory

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Fans aren't wound up enough these days without someone throwing even more conspiracy theories out there?? Why even go there? I usually agree with much of what you type on here but that kind of stuff does not add anything to the conversation.
    I don't think MegaGearMax is far off in his assessment at all - and I don't think it's a 'conspiracy theory' in the slightest... Creating an urgency to buy is a classic marketing tactic. No more, no less. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the line has been healthy all along and they are just using tactics to increase sales and want.

Quote Originally Posted by AuraBoyX View Post
    I don't think MegaGearMax is far off in his assessment at all - and I don't think it's a 'conspiracy theory' in the slightest... Creating an urgency to buy is a classic marketing tactic. No more, no less. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if the line has been healthy all along and they are just using tactics to increase sales and want.
    I know enough from people inside and outside of Mattel to know MOTUC is not some giant money maker. Was the last sub drive a PR stunt with the sudden boost at the end? Who knows. But that still doesn't mean the line is doing awesome. If it was, they wouldn't have dropped 2016 in favor of trying to wrap things up by 2015.

Heck, it's also possible 2014 subs fall way short of the mark and they take what's currently slated for production and try to wrap things up as a series of 2-packs and convention figures. A dim outlook, I know, but I think we should be prepared for multiple outcomes.

I know enough from people inside and outside of Mattel to know MOTUC is not some giant money maker. Was the last sub drive a PR stunt with the sudden boost at the end? Who knows. But that still doesn't mean the line is doing awesome. If it was, they wouldn't have dropped 2016 in favor of trying to wrap things up by 2015.

Heck, it's also possible 2014 subs fall way short of the mark and they take what's currently slated for production and try to wrap things up as a series of 2-packs and convention figures. A dim outlook, I know, but I think we should be prepared for multiple outcomes.
    Well, now. They haven't DROPPED 2016. I'm sure they would still be happy to do 2016 and 17 if the sales are there, but they have decided to go "A-List" (which means B and C) sooner than later in case 2016 can't happen.

Well, now. They haven't DROPPED 2016. I'm sure they would still be happy to do 2016 and 17 if the sales are there, but they have decided to go "A-List" (which means B and C) sooner than later in case 2016 can't happen.
    I think what he means is they dropped 2016 from the "master plan" and redoubled on just vintage for the next two years. I'd love for it to keep going past 2015, but at that point if all goes well it'll just be the more peripheral characters from MOTU and POP, and secondary characters from everything else.

It certainly sounds like a straggler year. Like you said, if the sales suddenly go up, I'm sure they will revise their plans again. But I have to speculate it's not in the forecast.

I think there are alot of half truths being told to the customers of Mattel and fans of MOTU.

I sincerely believe there is a reasson behind the 2015 wrap up plan.

I'll say it again...i think they want to stop marketing 80's He-Man and move him into the new DC-52 look and feel (pants and all).

We've seen how responsive Mattel is to the 200x He-Man. I believe with the new movie you'll see it based more off of the DC-52 comic story and style.

They dont want conflicting He-Man images in the market. They want to move on to something different to sustain the property.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

Quote Originally Posted by Stratos*Major View Post

I'll say it again...i think they want to stop marketing 80's He-Man and move him into the new DC-52 look and feel (pants and all).

We've seen how responsive Mattel is to the 200x He-Man. I believe with the new movie you'll see it based more off of the DC-52 comic story and style.

They dont want conflicting He-Man images in the market. They want to move on to something different to sustain the property.
    I think that's a pretty wild theory. I don't agree with it, but I suppose anything is possible.

I think there are alot of half truths being told to the customers of Mattel and fans of MOTU.

52 or movie, this is not a crazy theory. I think they need to do new Teelas and Beast-Men and Fistos and start from the beginning again. You can only make so much money on the D list. I expect we will see A-list characters in one form or another by 2016.

Personally speaking based on my own opinion, if it's anything like Fang Man..........ehhhhhh. Fang Man looked too cartoon accurate for my liking, and when he's standing alongside characters like Fisto, Zodak, and Horde Prime (with the Red Head), he just looks out of place. *If* Plundor gets the nod for a figure, and although he didn't get my vote in the various threads and polls that were made, I hope he'd be more aesthetically pleasing to the eye than Fang Man was and not look as though he had stepped right out the Filmation cartoon.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

LOL! That's the New DC way of seeing things...fixing iconic characters for the sake of appealing to a casual audience. Casual fans are usually the crowd who doesn't get the barbarian aspect and want to see him in pants.

But if you aren't into barbarians, you aren't into barbarians. This is as stupid as putting Tarzan in riot gear or Conan in knight armor.

- - - Updated - - -

I think that's a pretty wild theory. I don't agree with it, but I suppose anything is possible.
    The movie designs from the art book seem to take He-Man into the armored costume direction. Since the New 52 armor comes from Mattel, they might think that barbarians aren't marketable to today's children and might want to turn He-Man into Batman (i.e., give him a "He-Suit").

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    The movie designs from the art book seem to take He-Man into the armored costume direction. Since the New 52 armor comes from Mattel, they might think that barbarians aren't marketable to today's children and might want to turn He-Man into Batman (i.e., give him a "He-Suit").
    I wouldn't put a lot of stock into designs that are years old. BUT, you're right in that they may not go the barbarian route on He-Man... at least not entirely. He may be some amalgam of stuff.

You dont agree with me?

They've invested time and money into a new design and story direction (someone(s) at Mattel helped provide direction and input to DC).

They are in talks for a movie...

I think it'd be wild if you think they are going to stick with "barbarian" He-Man.

You've said that "knowing" people that MOTUC isn't that much of a money maker, so they've really nothing to loose. If it doesn't go over they go back to basic He-Man. If it does they continue forward with it.

"Nothing ventured..."

I'm not saying i prefer 52 He-Man, cause i think its a bit too contrived. However, they are a business that had great success with the brand some luke warm results with updates...why not try a new direction. We already know Mattel wanted a new stylistic look for He-Man.

Business decisions are just that decisions. They make them for a reasson and its usually not " just cause we felt like it" with a few million on the line. Not to mention the idea for multi-millions on a remake.
    Most fans have kids you take them cause you know He-Man...as old school He-Man fans we may not like it but kids like it or better yet love it and they want the whole 9 yards...

I mean Barney...Teletubbies??? What patent could stand that yet kids loved it. Minecraft...i get parents all day who have no clue but spend $30.00 on a 3 point articulated vinyl figure...they have no clue but buy cause its what the kid wants.

He-Man with a 52 look stands a better chance in a movie with a 52 look cause we know He-Man and the kids would better identify him as a superhero as thats whats selling now.
    Turn Mermaid Speculation Into Mermaid Support
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=164726
    Where's the fish!!??
    MERMISTA

They've invested time and money into a new design and story direction (someone(s) at Mattel helped provide direction and input to DC).

They are in talks for a movie...
    I don't agree because your theory is built mostly off a comic that isn't exactly burning up the charts in sales. It doesn't make sense to reinvent the wheel because of the comic. There's still more brand recognition for MOTU from the vintage toys and cartoons than from MOTUC or the new comic.

The team behind the movie is going to explore their own concepts and what they feel will sell if it's their millions of dollars on the line. Mattel will be involved but they aren't going to have a heavy hand if they want the movie to happen. And Mattel certainly won't take a licensed comic, put it in front of the movie studio and demand they do that. The only way that will happen is if that's what the movie studio wanted to do.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    I've put up some new answers!

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Oo-Larr • Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP)

Sorry S*M, I don't agree either.

I think if MOTUC could be just as successful in 2016 they'd keep it going because it's a niche toy line towards a niche collector audience. I think the DC comic might be serving as something of a testing ground for different directions they can push the property when they decide to go bigger with the property. That'll probably be in the form of a movie, if they can ever get it off the ground, and/or cartoon.

But, just because they might want to push the movie and/or future cartoon doesn't mean Classics would need to stop. It's not like they'd be competing in any way with those concepts by then because Classics will be down to the really far out niche characters. Plus, any figures and toys associated with those new media will probably be primarily aimed at kids and the mainstream market, which if current toys are any indication means they'll be smaller, with less paint apps and articulation.

If Mattel really needed MOTUC to go away to focus on New 52, for instance, they'd just say there weren't enough subscribers this year and cancel MOTUC and start up this new toy line.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Which is why no matter what, I'm not letting the eventual panic that's going to explode all over the boards dampen my SDCC spirit this summer the way it did last! I remember being so excited about the reveals, and then BAM! Come the following Monday, all the news that started trickling out really REALLY hampered any enthusiasm I had. This year, I'm reveling in all that is shown. My ONE order for 2014 is already in place, and I'm not placing another no matter how loud "FIRE!" is screamed. Either 2014 goes through, or it doesn't- it's out of my hands. But I'm fairly certain that it will, no matter what.
    Good for you. Don't buy into the drama and don't let anyone kill your enthusiasm.

We'll probably never know. I think the line was in jeopardy for a while. I also personally think the percentages were not reported correctly. I'm not saying they gave us false numbers, but maybe the numbers weren't checked much towards the end.... 82 to 125+ in less than half a day, no way. Just no way. As hard as people were pushing during the weeks before it....

I think it would behoove Mattel, since their public image is not that high right now (and especially if the line is close to the minimum number needed to go forward), to do their best to avoid even the appearance of shenanigans. Take that extra step to not only be honest (which I'm not saying they aren't), but to be upfront. Put yourself in your customers shoes for a moment and be straight up. Whether or not Mattel has lied, they have been loose and sketchy with the way they phrase things.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    But, just because they might want to push the movie and/or future cartoon doesn't mean Classics would need to stop.
    I thought of a recent post you made in the DST Star Trek thread about new media versus classic characters regarding situations like that, at least I think it was you.

Even though the alternate reality Abramsverse is in theaters, the Classic Trek materials are still in circulation via new figures, minimates, and stuff.

Would MOTU do the same? Hasn't it been said on some RGDs that when Mattel chooses a direction for the property they abandon all other incarnations in favor of the new brand image? That's paraphrasing, but I'm pretty sure that was the jist of it. Like MOTU to NA, NA to 200x, 200x to MOTUC.

It is a wait and see situation, S*M does point out one of the possibilities though. I've no idea its likelihood, but I won't rule it out.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

I do agree with SM for the most part. The He-Man in the movie will most likely wear armor and pants. If not a full body suit at least half covered. He will not be in a loincloth and harness this time around. Mattel helped design a super suit for a reason. I'm not saying the current DC version will be the final design but that is where He-Man is headed. 200X had him covered more at the end, the toys had "clothed" repaints, and now the comics have him covering up. I am not sure what is going to actually happen with the toys when the film does come about, but i truly believe Mattel is looking at a different version of He-Man.