Page 12 of 15 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
Results 276 to 300 of 362

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread July 2013

  1. #276
    Heroic Warrior King Tamusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    The more I think about both Plundor and Nepthu the more interested I get in them. I'm to the point where I'm actually hoping the are revealed. I'm excited to see what the 4H do with them.

    I think something to take into account is our personal experiences with Filmation. When we were kids we were at the mercy of our local TV stations and their schedules. The episodes that got more show time meant more to us or had more of an impact on or memory of the series. Personally, when I went back and watched through the series again I was surprised that Fang Man, and Strong Arm were only in one episode and that Lizard Man and Octavia were only in two episodes because they stand out to me so much. I didn't even remember Batros and have no memory of him from my childhood. Icer, Plundor, and Nepthu I didn't remember until I was reminded of them. The fact that Scott is a fan too and watched the Filmation series as a child means that he has his own memories and impressions of the show. Plundor and Nepthu obviously stood out to him as significant one shot enemies. If people on the board were saying that Strong Arm and Fang Man were not essential I would think them crazy! The truth is Plundor and Nepthu had just as much screen time as many other one shot characters. They may not be as popular overall according to polls, but they are as significant as any other one off character. Love em or hate em I absolutely understand why they would be included and I understand why Scott would have chose them and why he is surprised they do not mean as much to other fans.
    Well, you are entitled to your opinion. But, as you said, they are not as popular. Other characters, overall, are much more popular. Regardless of whether or not 2013 wasn't on the "wrap it up plan", the Filmation slots have always been limited. There are tons of characters, but not enough spaces to fit them all. Scott couldn't possible think in 2013 that the line would continue long enough to throw in characters like Nepthu, a character ranked around #40 in the polls, along with every character ahead of him. In fact, I know he didn't, since Scott thought Nepthu and Plundor are way more popular than they really are (or at least that's his story to justify putting in his personal favorites). Now, Scott can get away with characters like this IF his plan includes additional mini-subs for Filmation, or a full separate subscription in 2014 and 2015. That's the only way to get a good mix of A, B, and C list characters without missing the most demanded. If not, then it's a shame we have to vote on the 8th and 9th place characters, when #23 and #40 are potentially already made.

    So, we have 12 days until we know for sure.

  2. #277
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    7,914
    Sometimes when people have favorites, it clouds their judgment on exactly how popular something may really be. Perhaps, Nepthu is a favorite of someone's at Matty and that is the reason why he is getting made. Who knows? I doubt they expected the kind of backlash he is getting.

  3. #278
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    4,353
    Keep MOTU classic with some improvements... The new Transformers comics are the best example... I totally get the G1 vibe, although they are not G1 accuarte...
    Last edited by Berserker79; July 7, 2013 at 06:10pm.

  4. #279
    sculptor - fantastique JimPansen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Germany-Ruhr region
    Posts
    2,085

  5. #280
    Casual Fan slackrguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    2,586
    Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    Sometimes when people have favorites, it clouds their judgment on exactly how popular something may really be. Perhaps, Nepthu is a favorite of someone's at Matty and that is the reason why he is getting made.
    Fair point & likely.

    I doubt they expected the kind of backlash he is getting.
    I 100% agree with you. Nepthu has been "rumored" since NYTF and very few if any voiced any displeasure with his potential inclusion into the line until now. Even those that were o.k with him were seemingly more excited by the possibilities of Sand Demons or a crystal Zoar.

    Personally, there are so many more Filmation characters who would add more personal value to my collection and meet the needs I have regarding MOTUC. It is hard for me to see data driven decision making when I think of his inclusion in the line and that is very disappointing for me.

    However, it is all hypothetical until he is revealed. If he is not revealed then I'll feel like a big ole donkey getting worked up about something that was nothing more than a rumor.
    Last edited by slackrguy; July 7, 2013 at 06:37pm.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

    If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

  6. #281
    Heroic Warrior Jinxieman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Longview, WA
    Posts
    626
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    Well, you are entitled to your opinion. But, as you said, they are not as popular. Other characters, overall, are much more popular. Regardless of whether or not 2013 wasn't on the "wrap it up plan", the Filmation slots have always been limited. There are tons of characters, but not enough spaces to fit them all. Scott couldn't possible think in 2013 that the line would continue long enough to throw in characters like Nepthu, a character ranked around #40 in the polls, along with every character ahead of him. In fact, I know he didn't, since Scott thought Nepthu and Plundor are way more popular than they really are (or at least that's his story to justify putting in his personal favorites). Now, Scott can get away with characters like this IF his plan includes additional mini-subs for Filmation, or a full separate subscription in 2014 and 2015. That's the only way to get a good mix of A, B, and C list characters without missing the most demanded. If not, then it's a shame we have to vote on the 8th and 9th place characters, when #23 and #40 are potentially already made.

    So, we have 12 days until we know for sure.
    Thank you for acknowledging that I am entitled to my opinion...even if that is just a glorified way of saying "You're wrong"

    I am well aware of your opinion...I've read all 21 of your posts in this thread, and you added nothing new to this post. Please forgive me for not being as cynical and hateful towards Scott and Mattel as others on this forum. I've just never had a major problem with a figure or the character selection. I'm just enjoying the ride and when a character gets announced that I'm not thrilled with there are usually several other figures announced that I am overly thrilled with and I'm glad others might be excited for the ones that are not my favorite.

    I am also very aware of the situation moving forward. I just think some of the negative passion expressed on this board and in this thread to be over the top and dramatic. I guess that is another opinion I'm entitled too!

  7. #282
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,862
    Won't buy Nepthu or Plundor. These are horrible choices, IMO. Specifically when important characters such as Modulok, Two-Bad, Glimmer or Scorpia haven't been announced yet. Mattel and Matty keep mocking MOTUC fans. Not very wise with subscription time coming...

  8. #283
    Heroic Warrior Jeevesosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Won't buy Nepthu or Plundor. These are horrible choices, IMO. Specifically when important characters such as Modulok, Two-Bad, Glimmer or Scorpia haven't been announced yet. Mattel and Matty keep mocking MOTUC fans. Not very wise with subscription time coming...
    Would you say the same if they announced Prahvus?

    There are numerous posts in this thread already going in circles about this issue. The one right above yours is a great example of the other side of the argument. The Filmation sub was put together before the changes in 2014 where we will see the heavy hitters. This has been said again and again.
    The Lurkiest

    **Scott please make me a Staghorn**

  9. #284
    Court Magician Sarzac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Posts
    42
    I'm all for Nepthu. He has a distinctive look and is from a memorable episode. I'd love to see his sand demons get a beast slot next year.

  10. #285
    Heroic Warrior Slave2Evil_Lyn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    1,657
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    I seriously wish Catra's Wrath would stop answering questions on the Matty forums. So annoying to read those posts like he or she is "in the know" or giving canned answers when TG has said that the mods are not aware of any business at Mattel. Especially when the question warrants an answer is directed at Scott.
    I completely agree, this drives me nuts. People post to ask Scott a question not some volunteer mod.


    On the topic at hand, I don't get why Scott feels the need to keep things so secretive. Keeping figures a "surprise" is not good business. Contradictions make it hard to believe anything he says.
    "Don't crowd me boys!"

  11. #286
    Heroic Warrior Kid Canada's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    445
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    These are horrible choices, IMO. Specifically when important characters such as Modulok, Two-Bad, Glimmer or Scorpia haven't been announced yet. Mattel and Matty keep mocking MOTUC fans. Not very wise with subscription time coming...
    Yeah, how dare they announce Nepthu & Plundor before announcing the likes of Glimmer, Modulok....err wait, they haven't.

  12. #287
    Heroic Warrior atlas0413's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    264
    I am so-so about plundor, he is a bit unique in his design but Nepthu seems like a generic motu buck and for matty a 99% re-use of existing tooled parts. I will use him for customs if he gets made and will be dissapointed in paying $40 for him after shipping to Australia.

  13. #288
    Heroic Warrior King Tamusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Jinxieman View Post
    Thank you for acknowledging that I am entitled to my opinion...even if that is just a glorified way of saying "You're wrong"

    I am well aware of your opinion...I've read all 21 of your posts in this thread, and you added nothing new to this post. Please forgive me for not being as cynical and hateful towards Scott and Mattel as others on this forum. I've just never had a major problem with a figure or the character selection. I'm just enjoying the ride and when a character gets announced that I'm not thrilled with there are usually several other figures announced that I am overly thrilled with and I'm glad others might be excited for the ones that are not my favorite.

    I am also very aware of the situation moving forward. I just think some of the negative passion expressed on this board and in this thread to be over the top and dramatic. I guess that is another opinion I'm entitled too!
    If you'd rather me flat out say you are wrong rather than respect the fact you have an opinion, much like I have mine (which you'd labeled as cynical and hateful, rather than an opposite opinion), that's fine. I was very respectful to you in my comment, but here you are calling me cynical, hateful, and overly dramatic. You even gave me the rolling eyes emoticon. How ironic and hypocritical.

    Obviously, you haven't really read my posts. Each one either responds to another member or discusses cited examples and quotes from Toyguru (Scott) News, which is the exact point of this thread. I'm sorry that you don't care for that format. Maybe the forums are not for you, cause...that's kind of the point; discuss, debate, and share ideas.

    I am very glad that you are happy-go-lucky about collecting figures in MOTUC. Believe it or not, I am all in and want as much as they can give me. With the exception of a few figures, I have two of everything and can't wait for more. The point of my comments, and one that has eluded you I'm afraid, is not about the characters. It's about conflicting information provided by the brand manager. It's about avoiding the obvious and trying to pass off things as if the customers are idiots. You're more than welcome to not care what you get, or why you are getting it. Heck, it's just toys, right? Well, I am a paying customer. I am paying for the items they are producing and, when it comes to situations like this, it is frustrating to see the brand manager favor his own wants rather than the customers. I don't hate Scott or Mattel. I just don't think he should be doing PR for the brand. Every time he does, he opens up a can of worms and causes distrust among the consumer base, which is definitely not good for the brand. And I am not being cynical, I'm being realistic and stating how I see things. I'm looking past the smoke and mirrors rather than happily ignoring it. I don't see how calling Scott out on his contradictions as being dramatic. Dramatic would be if I said "I'm quitting the line if they show a figure I'm not fond of". THAT is dramatic. I didn't do that, nor would I ever do that. And, I'm not making anything up or exaggerating either. I am taking what he says and explaining what I think about it. For someone that feels I am poo-pooing their opinion, you don't seem to have any problem knocking mine.

    And yes, you can feel free to believe anything you want.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Would you say the same if they announced Prahvus?

    There are numerous posts in this thread already going in circles about this issue. The one right above yours is a great example of the other side of the argument. The Filmation sub was put together before the changes in 2014 where we will see the heavy hitters. This has been said again and again.
    Yes, it has been said again and again...Have you considered that the 30th anniversary sub was put together before the introduction of Filmation...yet, we got Shadow Weaver. Changes can happen, and have happened before, which adjusted a set strategy. Again, contradictions.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Slave2Evil_Lyn View Post
    I completely agree, this drives me nuts. People post to ask Scott a question not some volunteer mod.


    On the topic at hand, I don't get why Scott feels the need to keep things so secretive. Keeping figures a "surprise" is not good business. Contradictions make it hard to believe anything he says.
    Yup, indeed.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; July 7, 2013 at 11:11pm.

  14. #289
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,862
    Would you say the same if they announced Prahvus?

    There are numerous posts in this thread already going in circles about this issue. The one right above yours is a great example of the other side of the argument. The Filmation sub was put together before the changes in 2014 where we will see the heavy hitters. This has been said again and again.
    Other peoples' opinions are their opinions. My opinion is mine. All I said is that I won't buy Nepthu or Plundor. If this displeased you, I'm sorry, but it won't have any effect on my opinion.

    And yes, to me, characters like Evilseed, Lord Dactys, Prahvus, Calix, Tuvar and Baddhra are far superior designs and characters than Chef Allen, Crackers the Clown, Nepthu or Plundor. Once again, that's my opinion and my tastes.

  15. #290
    SUBSCRIBE OR DIE!!! mick4metal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Searching for this WORLD CLASS RESEARCH FACILITY I heard about.
    Posts
    1,003
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    Can you please explain to me how saying you don't like a character, or suggest he be replaced with a character more in demand makes you "cool"?

    For years, SOME people, not all, have requested Plundor. In recent polls he was ranked at #15 I believe. That's not exactly "highly demanded", as you put it. The "thousands of comments" is greatly exaggerated, and typically these comments are made by the same members.

    It's fine if you love Plundor. Others don't. Just like you don't like Huntara, while others do. In fact, she ranked higher than Plundor, so there you go.
    OK...I guess you are right since in so many post including this you always argue with anyone who has a different opinion than you. Your endless posts in multiple threads contradicting everything others say speaks for itself. I wish I had so much free time.
    SUBSCRIBE OR DIE!!!: The death of a cherry picker. The continuing saga from the makers of MOTUC. The adventure begins in 2012.

    UPDATE: THE CUTTING BLOCK!!!: The cherry pickers are now dead. These changes brought to you from the makers of MOTUC. The adventure begins in 2013.

  16. #291
    Widget beastman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    32
    As I have said many times they don't care about fans about the line about anything...they are only for the themselves and on how to benefit more from us... Now despite our trust and after buying actually a second subscription during the year they throw at us a bunny as a figure. Congratulation ....
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

  17. #292
    Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Nova Scotia
    Posts
    2,378
    I feel the same way now as I did 4 years ago. Someone will be happy with whatever figure that gets released. How many people is a question only they know themselves. I try to enjoy all the figures and at least give them all a chance.

    It sucks not everyone can be as open armed over action figures but here we are. Arguing over who's more popular and what not.

    people like what they like. There's no point in trying to tell them they are not the only ones collecting the line because they seem to be blind to the fact that there is a demand for many figures they may not like.

  18. #293
    Cobra Saboteur Firefly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Classified
    Posts
    7,914
    Guys, please be more respectful towards each other. Please no complaining about complaining. thanks.

  19. #294
    Heroic Warrior Jeevesosiris's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Chesterfield, UK
    Posts
    1,268
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Other peoples' opinions are their opinions. My opinion is mine. All I said is that I won't buy Nepthu or Plundor. If this displeased you, I'm sorry, but it won't have any effect on my opinion.

    And yes, to me, characters like Evilseed, Lord Dactys, Prahvus, Calix, Tuvar and Baddhra are far superior designs and characters than Chef Allen, Crackers the Clown, Nepthu or Plundor. Once again, that's my opinion and my tastes.
    That is exactly my point my friend, we all have our own tastes. I don't have any issue with you not liking certain figures or anything but that is not "all you said" at all. You said in your earlier post that these choices were bad because heavy hitters like Modulok have not been announced... and you said that Mattel and Matty were mocking fans.

    Having your own favourites that you want to be made is fine and is great, if they announced Prahvus for example I would probably not be thrilled with the guy, but I would accept it and wouldn't say he was a "horrible choice" or that we were being "mocked."

    And your justification for why the figures (rumoured) to be released in the Filmation sub are "horrible" was that we haven't had these big heavy hitters... which as I and others have pointed out has been explained by Mattel. Which brings me to this...

    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    Yes, it has been said again and again...Have you considered that the 30th anniversary sub was put together before the introduction of Filmation...yet, we got Shadow Weaver. Changes can happen, and have happened before, which adjusted a set strategy. Again, contradictions.
    Totally. Changes have happened before yes, but the exception you are talking about meant that Shadow Weaver pushed Horde Prime backwards in the sub. So if they change Nepthu and do the same thing here then (if he really is coming) then where would you like to see him slot in? Would you like him to bump somebody out of the main sub? Glimmer? Saurod?

    Shadow Weaver was a pretty unusual case, and on this occasion, when I presume Mattel are focusing on the difficult task of making 2014 as good as it can be and balancing tooling budgets for all those unique remaining sculpts Scott has said that they did not have time or resources to make a change to the Filmation sub... so either we accept this is the case and move on, or you suggest that they could make this change and that he is "contradicting the truth", which I am sure you do not want to do.

    I am not overly pleased with getting Nepthu (if we do) but I would rather they just focused on 2014 being as good as it could be and just drew a line under this Filmation sub thing.
    The Lurkiest

    **Scott please make me a Staghorn**

  20. #295
    Heroic Warrior WDWFreak53's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    1,733
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Won't buy Nepthu or Plundor. These are horrible choices, IMO. Specifically when important characters such as Modulok, Two-Bad, Glimmer or Scorpia haven't been announced yet. Mattel and Matty keep mocking MOTUC fans. Not very wise with subscription time coming...
    Well...to be fair...Nepthu and Plundor haven't been announced yet either.

  21. #296
    Heroic Warrior King Tamusk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    1,245
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Totally. Changes have happened before yes, but the exception you are talking about meant that Shadow Weaver pushed Horde Prime backwards in the sub. So if they change Nepthu and do the same thing here then (if he really is coming) then where would you like to see him slot in? Would you like him to bump somebody out of the main sub? Glimmer? Saurod?

    Shadow Weaver was a pretty unusual case, and on this occasion, when I presume Mattel are focusing on the difficult task of making 2014 as good as it can be and balancing tooling budgets for all those unique remaining sculpts Scott has said that they did not have time or resources to make a change to the Filmation sub... so either we accept this is the case and move on, or you suggest that they could make this change and that he is "contradicting the truth", which I am sure you do not want to do.

    I am not overly pleased with getting Nepthu (if we do) but I would rather they just focused on 2014 being as good as it could be and just drew a line under this Filmation sub thing.
    I'd say hold him until 2016. If 2014 and 2015 are the best they can be, then the possibility of a sub in 2016 would look really good. And I understand your point about tooling. That does make sense. In that regard, there are other Filmation characters that are more demanded that require just as much or as little tooling as Nepthu. But, we will see. I am sure 2014 will be offering a lot of great characters and I'm looking forward to it.
    Last edited by King Tamusk; July 8, 2013 at 09:13am.

  22. #297
    Heroic Warrior KUZEH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    1,326
    Anybody know about these Plundor and Nepthu pics already leaked? Really?
    I haven't seen those...
    Por el Poder de Grayskull!!!...
    Ya tengo el poder!!

    My Feedback thread!!

  23. #298
    Heroic Warrior MaxGoof's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    295
    Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    Won't buy Nepthu or Plundor. These are horrible choices, IMO. Specifically when important characters such as Modulok, Two-Bad, Glimmer or Scorpia haven't been announced yet. Mattel and Matty keep mocking MOTUC fans. Not very wise with subscription time coming...
    In what way would Plundor or Nepthu being announced interfere with Modulok, Two-Bad or Glimmer? Nepthu and Plundor would be part of the Filmation sub and have no bearing whatsoever on those vintage figures. They're a bonus in addition to the vintage line--nothing more.
    Check out my blog, Toy Review Daily: A New Toy Review, 366 Days a Year! http://www.toyreviewdaily.com

  24. #299
    Marketing Manager at Mattel Toyguru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    701
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxGoof View Post
    In what way would Plundor or Nepthu being announced interfere with Modulok, Two-Bad or Glimmer? Nepthu and Plundor would be part of the Filmation sub and have no bearing whatsoever on those vintage figures. They're a bonus in addition to the vintage line--nothing more.
    That's a good point.

  25. #300
    Heroic Warrior
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    2,862
    In what way would Plundor or Nepthu being announced interfere with Modulok, Two-Bad or Glimmer? Nepthu and Plundor would be part of the Filmation sub and have no bearing whatsoever on those vintage figures. They're a bonus in addition to the vintage line--nothing more.
    If Nepthu or Plundor don't interfere with Modulok, Two Bad or Glimmer, they will interfere anyway with Dragoon, Strongarm, Scorpia, Madam Razz or Vultak. Plundor may have his fans (a handful), but Nepthu is definitely at the bottom of the barrel as far as Filmation fans requests are concerned.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •