Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread July 2013

No arguments there. I almost hope the subs aren't still going by the time we get to the Scientists (2018, maybe?) so I can avoid them. I have gotten pretty much ever figure (except BA Faker) but I'd seriously consider skipping them.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Blargh!

...sorry fans of those characters. No disrespect intended to your interests. It's just that the scientists in particular make my skin crawl.
    Twiggets and Widgets I'd gladly get (and there have been actual requests for those), but even I have to admit I might pass on the scientists (first MOTUC item I'd pass on, and I'm the guy who would buy a Horsemen sculpted figure of one of Cringer's fleas). Given how much new tooling would be needed for them and the general disdain most folks seem to have for the characters, I REALLY don't think it's going to be an issue, as I think Mattel would make Third Eternian Villager On The Left before resorting to them.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Decisions like this are made about toy lines all the time. No line-ups are democratically decided by fans.
    Ding, ding, ding!!!

Getting mad at Scott just because he might stick in a character he likes every now and again is simply ridiculous. Does this never happen with Transformers or G.I. Joe. There are all sorts of fingerprints on the original 80s G.I. Joe line that indicate choices made by Hasbro staff based on personal preferences.

If any one of us were running this line, we'd be letting our personal preference rule the day from time to time as well. And there really is nothing wrong with that. Scott put in the time and earned the position he has. If he wants Nepthu in the line, why is that so bad, especially since we know he will come with cool accessories? If selling a cheaper-to-produce figure like Nepthu results in a more uniquely tooled Extendar, Modulok, and so on, why such a problem.

I understand that some people may not like the look of the figure. That's fine. Don't buy him, and don't complain about the sub because everyone knew that the last 3 figures of the sub could be ANYONE from Filmation. Just don't get the sub next time. But for those of us who don't mind him or even want a Nepthu, why should we suffer by not getting him?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Blargh!

...sorry fans of those characters. No disrespect intended to your interests. It's just that the scientists in particular make my skin crawl.
    I agree on the NA Scientists, but I desperately want the Twiggets. I want 2 sets, one to keep as is, and another to disembody and splash with red paint to make it look as if they'd been massacred. LOL
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I can guarantee, if I were running the line you'd have an Extendar figure in year one and you'd LIKE IT!
    Probably Dragstor and Saurod too. I'd have left Faker for year 6.

Blargh!

I would want the NA scientists eventually and I feel that I am probably the only one with this view. For me, there are a lot of figures that would need to come before the scientists, but I would buy them if offered.

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Ding, ding, ding!!!

Getting mad at Scott just because he might stick in a character he likes every now and again is simply ridiculous. Does this never happen with Transformers or G.I. Joe. There are all sorts of fingerprints on the original 80s G.I. Joe line that indicate choices made by Hasbro staff based on personal preferences.

If any one of us were running this line, we'd be letting our personal preference rule the day from time to time as well. And there really is nothing wrong with that. Scott put in the time and earned the position he has. If he wants Nepthu in the line, why is that so bad, especially since we know he will come with cool accessories? If selling a cheaper-to-produce figure like Nepthu results in a more uniquely tooled Extendar, Modulok, and so on, why such a problem.

I understand that some people may not like the look of the figure. That's fine. Don't buy him, and don't complain about the sub because everyone knew that the last 3 figures of the sub could be ANYONE from Filmation. Just don't get the sub next time. But for those of us who don't mind him or even want a Nepthu, why should we suffer by not getting him?
    I think as a professional, you do what's best for the line and for your customers. You don't put your preferences above the line or the customers. So when it comes to selecting between 2 characters, if all else is equal then you have a right to pick which you like best. That's my take. I'll hold TG's feet to the fire over TMS and SLL, but Nepthu... I can't really come down on him for that. I don't know enough of what's going on.

Oh My! how ever did I miss this thread! so much fun and so much to say...

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    You know...
    I can totally live with human bees, crabs, skunks, lizards, mosquitos, leeches, octopuses... Because they all have one thing in common: All are friggin scary!
    On the other hand... a BUNNY???? Come on! Gimme a break! How can a bunny be scary?
    That’s kind of the idea, and one of the things that makes Plundor a cool and iconic design. A clown in a purple zoot suit isn’t scary. A doll isn’t scary…and yet The Joker and Chucky are both icons. And let’s not forget that Ray Stanz recalled the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man precisely because he thought it was “something that could never ever possibly destroy us.” The point is that storytelling history is full of characters that aren’t intimidating or scary on the surface…it’s what they do and the context in which they are placed that makes them so.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    This is my problem with fans wanting the top figures, because whatever is a must-have character is relative to the individual fan.
    Much truth here.

Quote Originally Posted by No-Ah View Post
    Plundor? Um... why are they making that?
    Because he's awesome and has a simple, yet iconic design...and because he requires minimal tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    He won't please this fan. The BEST thing they could do with him is not go straight up Filmation and actually make him look menacing. That would help. Honestly, I'd even say it's worth a second head if some fans want the goofy look. Give us one goofy and one Donnie Darko.
    I keep glancing at the goofy character in your avatar as I read this post.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    The fact that some fans absolutely love Plundor, is reason enough to make him. I don't want Rio-Blast, but I'll accept him for you guys that do. Aren't we in this together?
    So true. In fact, I made a lengthy response in another thread that was all about this exact sentiment.

I hate to be the Teela here, but come on! A PINK! BUNNY!
    Hands up who can say they love him for his ridiculousness.
    *Counting counting counting...* Okay, several.
    Now hands up who says the same for him being friggin´ cool.
    *...* Anyone? At all?
    What is MOTU? Something to ridicule?
    *raises hand*

Yeah, I think Plundor is cool. I’ll go into why a little further down…but as far as MOTU being something to ridicule? It already is, starting with He-Man. This property is full of ridiculous designs, ridiculous names, ridiculous abilities…I love MOTU, but even though I take it seriously as a fan, I also recognize and embrace that it has many ridiculous qualities.

While Pink Bunny on the other hand is something I´d associate with Hugh Heffner or the Carebears - depending on the gender Putting this creature next to e.g. Fisto, Beastman, Trap Jaw, Man-At-Arms and so on, he will always look ridiculous. Because he is just SO different an approach to a character design.
    The difference in approach is part of what makes him cool. He breaks the mold. And yet…is he really that different? Aside from being based on a non-scary animal and being pink, he’s still an anthropomorphic animal with a muscular body. The minimal tooling that he needed is evidence enough of how little he actually diverges from MOTU design.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    Chef Allen may indeed be a character only a few like, but I am pretty sure more people would like him than Crackers.
    And I want both!

Quote Originally Posted by Jaw Bridge View Post
    Evidently Nietlich is going to foist 2 highly undesireable figures on us next year in the filmation sub. The only thing that grotesque pink bunny-man will be good for is target practice for my rifle.
    To understand such trash being forced down our throats instead of Scorpia andr Masque is maddening.
    This is simply horrible of Mattel to throw stuff at us that no one has asked for.
    Identify yourselves now if you are clamoring for that absurd pink bunny-man so that we, who would like to see Scorpia, Strong-arm, Dragstor and Extendar, may know who you are.
    Right here. I want Plundor. I was one of many who asked for him. But hey, let everyone be assured of your manliness as you shoot at the pink bunny man with your rifle!

And Plundor looks silly. Simple as that.
    Yes, I know everyone has a different taste and some people might actually like his design. I don´t know why, but I´m here to find out.
    By the way: I feel like I used up a lot of my steam during the previous days. I cannot stop Plundor from being made if the rumors turn out to be true. I´m not mad about it (anymore). I am just "on a quest" to understand the demand for Plundor and until now I really haven´t seen a good point about why his visual design is liked by some. His character is unquestionable, but he really just looks so silly
    Personally, I think Plundor is cool because I like characters that others would underestimate due to their appearance, but turn out to be very effective at what they do. Ironic deadliness, if you will. I also like characters that blur the feminine and the masculine. It’s why I love The Joker, The Crow, Frank N. Furter from Rocky Horror...etc.

Plundor’s a foppish dandy character that goes against the typical insecurity soaked hyper-masculine power fantasy aesthetic that dominates MOTU design and yet as I said, he still fits right in, due to being a muscular humanoid animal.

Quote Originally Posted by dedset13 View Post
    I can't speak for others, but there are two main reasons I like Plundor visually. First, he's absolutely ridiculous and I think that's awesome. Second, his non-threatening appearance adds to his evilness for me. He's like the serial killer next door that no one suspects because he seems like a normal guy, or the Devil in human form wearing a business suit or like King Hiss' human disguise. You don't see the threat until it's too late.
    dedset13 gets it! This. Right here!
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Thanks for some new blood, Bri-Man!

I always put the language barrier as an excuse why we might not fully understand each other, since I´m not a native english speaker. So I have to apologize in advance if what I write doesn´t make too much sense, or is too much the same as I previously wrote. I´m trying to find new words to explain how I feel with each new approach. So here we go.

Take away Plundors head. Seriously. Do it. Cover it with a piece of paper or erase it with photoshop or whatever you like. What´s left is what the MOTU design is all about. The muscular body, the symmetrical design of the armor, the bright color palette. Cover any head and it´s always the same.

Now cover the bodies and leave the heads exposed. You will notice that each head design is rather intense. It is as realistic as it can get given the fantasy aspect. And it´s serious. You can tell they are fighters and monsters. Cut to Plundor - there is nothing like this. As I already said, Plundors headdesign (the only thing really that´s been designed uniquely for this character, as everything else was basically already there, hence why you mention it being MOTU) is better suited in a cartoon aimed at little kids (unlike MOTU, yeah), like Carebears or Rainbow Brite. Maybe the Snorks.

With a cartoon that emphasizes heavily on the visual aspect of "a goofy character MUST look goofy, any other appearance will change the character" (see Madam Razz, Twiggets and so on), I can´t help but think that the designers of Plundor did not put as much thought into the design of this certain character as you are doing in retrospective. In fact, looking at all the other designs of this certain episode, it rather feels like they wanted to go as ridiculous as possible. Isn´t that also the episode with all the Disney animal cameos? And walking raindrops (Ever seen Barbapapas?)?

My disapproval of Plundor is mostly based on the decission to not alter the typical cartoon bunny head the least bit. I couldn´t agree more with you about the fact that dolls and clowns aren´t scary, unless they are made scary (and I think you are specifically refering to IT and Chucky, maybe Violator). See, the usual design of a clown or a doll is actually tweaked to a point that these iconic childrens joys are indeed scary. Plundor on the other hand is an unaltered design.
    If he would have at least had pointy teeth or the standard bad-guy scar, that would have helped. His design and most importantly the style he was designed in does not blend in with the rest of MOTU. Much as the Mighty Spector blends in more with superhero comics.

Did any of this make any sense?
    Positivity, folks!
    Let´s all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Plundor is more of a parody of MOTU than a good representation of it. Every decent villain in MOTU can look or sound silly as long as he or she has something legitimately menacing about them. The big scary thing he specializes in is pollution which isn't even reflected in his visual design, so this is why he will always be a fringe character even for MOTU. Filmation phoned in the design to insert a hammer-over-the-head pollution morality tale.

That Filmation committed a full episode to him means that while I think they missed the boat, Plundor is bound to have fans who want him made. We all know that up until the 2013 sub drive last year, everything and anthing was on the table. Now moving forward into 2014, we won't be getting figures like this again or ever as far as the line can eek out a sub minimum. I'll tell you what, he'll certainly steal the Snakemen's thunder if he ends up being the last figure in MOTUC and we don't get guys like Two-Bad or Modulok! He'd be a real villain then.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    Plundor is more of a parody of MOTU than a good representation of it. Every decent villain in MOTU can look or sound silly as long as he or she has something legitimately menacing about them. The big scary thing he specializes in is pollution which isn't even reflected in his visual design, so this is why he will always be a fringe character even for MOTU. Filmation phoned in the design to insert a hammer-over-the-head pollution morality tale.

That Filmation committed a full episode to him means that while I think they missed the boat, Plundor is bound to have fans who want him made. We all know that up until the 2013 sub drive last year, everything and anthing was on the table. Now moving forward into 2014, we won't be getting figures like this again or ever as far as the line can eek out a sub minimum. I'll tell you what, he'll certainly steal the Snakemen's thunder if he ends up being the last figure in MOTUC and we don't get guys like Two-Bad or Modulok! He'd be a real villain then.
    While Plundor may be a parody, he still shows that evil isn't always evident by appearance.... I think that is more what Filmation was going for than anything....them and...well Monty Python. And as far as being a villain for possibly being the last MOTUC figure if 2014 doesn't happen....well, it's not his fault Scott put him there....let's not make the foo foo bunny the scapegoat for the decisions of his....well, progenitor. Face it, no matter who was the last figure, he'd get **** about it for being made overs someone's favorite.

I may not have longed for him, but hell, I'll take him, and besides, I doubt he'll be the absolute last figure, even if 2014 fails....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

You know what? I'm just gonna say it--Plundor is RIC FREAKIN' FLAIR! Think about it! He's a "foppish dandy", as Bri-Man put it, just like Flair, who took a lot of his heel cues from guys like Gorgeous George and the original "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers. He's excessively greedy and into "the finer things in life" just like the "limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealing, wheeling and dealing son of a gun!" He's pink, and Flair wears/wore pink ALL THE TIME!

What I'm really getting at here is that Plundor is many things to many people. That's why MOTU is so important to us. At least that's why it's important to me...
    "Whatever doesn't kill you is gonna leave a scar." - Marilyn Manson

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Jones View Post
    You know what? I'm just gonna say it--Plundor is RIC FREAKIN' FLAIR! Think about it! He's a "foppish dandy", as Bri-Man put it, just like Flair, who took a lot of his heel cues from guys like Gorgeous George and the original "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers. He's excessively greedy and into "the finer things in life" just like the "limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealing, wheeling and dealing son of a gun!" He's pink, and Flair wears/wore pink ALL THE TIME!

What I'm really getting at here is that Plundor is many things to many people. That's why MOTU is so important to us. At least that's why it's important to me...
    Woo!

Brett Hart wore a lot of pink too....
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Ric Flair? Haha, good one. Think of all the pollution he created travelling across the globe to appear in his matches!

If nothing else, the figure looks to be interesting custom fodder for me anyway...

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Plundor is an anthropomorphic rabbit.

We have an anthropomorphic skunk, an anthropomorphic lion, an anthropomorphic crab, a whole assortment of anthropomorphic snakes, an anthropomorphic goat, an anthropomorphic bee, an anthropomorphic lizard, an anthropomorphic spider, an anthropomorphic mosquito, an anthropomorphic leech, an anthropomorphic porcupine, an anthropomorphic grizzly bear and an anthropomorphic bat.

Plundor is right at home...

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

We have an anthropomorphic skunk, an anthropomorphic lion, an anthropomorphic crab, a whole assortment of anthropomorphic snakes, an anthropomorphic goat, an anthropomorphic bee, an anthropomorphic lizard, an anthropomorphic spider, an anthropomorphic mosquito, an anthropomorphic leech, an anthropomorphic porcupine, an anthropomorphic grizzly bear and an anthropomorphic bat.

We have a dude magically turned into spikes, we have a skunk....a SKUNK.... A large ass Dragon, and a Mosquito.... Why not a pink bunny? Why not a Lizard? Filmation was only an extension of the Vintage line, the Filmation character models were about as detailed as the figures themselves, and that is why they fit into Classics so easily. Problem is, people just don't like Filmation, and that leads to most of the dislike for any of the characters....

Well, I don't like NA at all, or 200X much, but I accept the characters that come, they are part of the line, and part of MOTU....therefore have every right to exist as anyone else.
    Recent....Flogg
    Coming....
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

I'm surprised at all the complaint about Plundor. He is one of the more prominant one-shot villains - in part because of his controversial status amongst fans. It was inevitable he get made. Nepthu is a mystery 'cos no one has talked about him all these years ... but Plundor. Seems he was always a dead cert once the Filmation licence was secured!

I've always been a bit ho hum about Plundor but I am looking forward to adding his figure to my collection!
    Grayskull needs its Cardboard Spacesuit MOTUCized

Voice your support in the Cardboard Spacesuit/Robot thread:
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=189199

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Ding, ding, ding!!!

The difference is, Mattel doesn't go around gathering feedback and have a representative "mascot" going on and on about listening to the fans and talking up how they respond to fan feedback to this level. Scott puts himself out there for this - do you know the name of the marketing manager(s) for Star Wars or GI Joe? Do they have nicknames and blogs? You can't promote yourself and make yourself the face of a brand and take the credit and not expect the other side, as well.

His power isn't part of his look, which is a major factor in MOTU. If he were a sludge monster, that might actually have been cool. His Bunny look is completely unintuitive and he doesn't hop around or bring any kind of rabbit like ability to the table. MOTU is more than mere anthropomorphism.

Filmation only did half their homework on him.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm all for getting Plundor! Someone posted a thought about him being almost Joker-ish and after finding a way to Eternia, becomes obsessed with being a thorn in He-Man's side. Love it! And truthfully, how many opportunities for awesome pictures is a pink bunny figure going to inspire?? He's comedy gold!

Whether you love Plundor or hate him,i hate him,this is the kind of lame *** figures that subbers and e sellers are left with and has killed this line as no one wants the risks of being left with too much stock of these turkeys,so it's all one saying we won't get these figures after 2013 but we are still stuck with them in 2014,add to the mix Nepthu,Geldor(not exactly setting the heather on fire)and look at previous SS,FFM,Dekker.
    The line for some has been great,but for most inc. e sellers,who are purchasing the most subs it's not worth the money,how much will Two Bad and Modulok have to be priced at to set off losses on Plundor,Nepthu etc,they're probably more on the fence than the fans at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Jones View Post

To be the rabbit, you have to beat the rabbit.

Wooooooooooo!
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

That is simply not correct, because that was not the intention. In his starring episode, Plundor was a despot that enslaved a planet and was killing it from an environmental aspect. He was getting rich off of the destruction of the natural world by the blood of the workers, all for wealth. Paul Dini wrote that as an (admittedly heavy-handed) allegory for corporate corruption and the unchecked power of the all mighty dollar. World and people be damned. This was presented in the 1980s (though, it still holds true today) where old men in fancy clothes were the ones sacrificing everything for more money. They certainly did not LOOK threatening. But they were, and still are. That is is the point. An old white man in a suit looks no more threatening than a purple bunny. The symbolic nature is about as blunt as it gets.
    Last edited by Veebs; July 30, 2013 at 02:10pm.
    Support GENERAL SUNDER in MOTUC!

Bring on 2016: General Sunder, Evilseed (Filmation), Karg, General Tataran, King Miro, King Ahgo, Zilora, Melaktha, Hawke, Vultak, Ileena, Lizorr, Dylamug, Enchantress, Lord Masque, Colonel Blast, Kol-Darr, Snowflake, Uncle Montork, Dree-Elle and The Twiggets.

Twitter
    Fwoosh Facebook
    Facebook

Heroic Warrior

This is really funny. Thanks for this. Totally agree btw.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    His power isn't part of his look, which is a major factor in MOTU. If he were a sludge monster, that might actually have been cool. His Bunny look is completely unintuitive and he doesn't hop around or bring any kind of rabbit like ability to the table. MOTU is more than mere anthropomorphism.

Sometimes canon-wise powers have nothing to do with action features or looks. He-Man didn't have any super strength action feature (almost everyone punched people as a default action feature), neither did Clamp Champ. Teela's figure has nothing to suggest that she's agile.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)