Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread July 2013

Wasn't the whole idea of Plundor that he was from an alternate dimension where 'cutesy' characters were the norm? Why wouldn't the purple bunny in a dimension where Captain Carrot would seem right at home not make sense? And for the record I never considered Plundor "scary" nor did I ever feel there was an intent to make him so. Just as a skeleton head on a body builders physique makes sense for a world where humans are the norm, a giant purple bunny in a dimension where anthropomorphic animals have gone all 'Animal Farm' makes complete sense in context.
    Harken to the coming of RIO BLAST!!

Plundor is more socially and politically relevant today than when he was first introduced. He's MOTU's Gordon Gecko. He represents the 1%.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Plundor is an anthropomorphic rabbit.

We have an anthropomorphic skunk, an anthropomorphic lion, an anthropomorphic crab, a whole assortment of anthropomorphic snakes, an anthropomorphic goat, an anthropomorphic bee, an anthropomorphic lizard, an anthropomorphic spider, an anthropomorphic mosquito, an anthropomorphic leech, an anthropomorphic porcupine, an anthropomorphic grizzly bear and an anthropomorphic bat.

Plundor is right at home...
    Wrong.

We have all those anthropomorphic animals with ALTERED heads! Thatīs the major difference. With Plundor, we have an unaltered, cartoony rabbit head and the anthropomorphic body that all those other anthropomorphic animals share. The head is the difference and the head is what defines the character.
    Chop of the heads of figures like Stinkor, Buzz-Off, Clawful and the likes and examine them. Do they look like exact replicas of their animal originals? Nope. They are redesigned into monsters. Plundor? Not.

Just take a look at this pic:

If this wouldnīt be a mask, but a real head, would you think this person would be "right at home"?
    (And please donīt get into any argument about racism or discrimination now just for the sake of the argument. You know this example is not about that kind of stuff)
    Last edited by DJ Force; July 31, 2013 at 01:20am.
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Take away Plundors head. Seriously. Do it. Cover it with a piece of paper or erase it with photoshop or whatever you like. Whatīs left is what the MOTU design is all about. The muscular body, the symmetrical design of the armor, the bright color palette. Cover any head and itīs always the same. Now cover the bodies and leave the heads exposed. You will notice that each head design is rather intense. It is as realistic as it can get given the fantasy aspect. And itīs serious. You can tell they are fighters and monsters. Cut to Plundor - there is nothing like this. As I already said, Plundors headdesign (the only thing really thatīs been designed uniquely for this character, as everything else was basically already there, hence why you mention it being MOTU) is better suited in a cartoon aimed at little kids (unlike MOTU, yeah), like Carebears or Rainbow Brite. Maybe the Snorks. With a cartoon that emphasizes heavily on the visual aspect of "a goofy character MUST look goofy, any other appearance will change the character" (see Madam Razz, Twiggets and so on), I canīt help but think that the designers of Plundor did not put as much thought into the design of this certain character as you are doing in retrospective. In fact, looking at all the other designs of this certain episode, it rather feels like they wanted to go as ridiculous as possible. Isnīt that also the episode with all the Disney animal cameos? And walking raindrops (Ever seen Barbapapas?)? My disapproval of Plundor is mostly based on the decission to not alter the typical cartoon bunny head the least bit. I couldnīt agree more with you about the fact that dolls and clowns arenīt scary, unless they are made scary (and I think you are specifically refering to IT and Chucky, maybe Violator). See, the usual design of a clown or a doll is actually tweaked to a point that these iconic childrens joys are indeed scary. Plundor on the other hand is an unaltered design. If he would have at least had pointy teeth or the standard bad-guy scar, that would have helped. His design and most importantly the style he was designed in does not blend in with the rest of MOTU. Much as the Mighty Spector blends in more with superhero comics. Did any of this make any sense?
    I hear you However, I think there's some precedence for goofy heads in MOTU. Clawful and Mer-Man for example. In Clawful's case, there were a lot of complaints about his cartoony eyes and "muppet-like" appearance. Point is, Plundor wouldn't be alone on the shelf in that department. Mer-Man, at least with the 200X head has big doe eyes and a goofy, almost affable perpetually anxious expression. if I didn't know his backstory, I'd find him sympathetic At least Plundor has a malicious expression.

And then there's Orko...or any character that has traits that go against typical MOTU design philosophy- like Modulok and Mantenna, or Lord Dactys. I guess it's a matter of taste, though. I don't mind it when characters occasionally diverge from the norm. If Plundor was the only character that stood out, I might feel a little different. Oh well...at least you didn't complain about him being pink

and I was referring to The Joker, Not Pennywise from IT.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Jones View Post
    You know what? I'm just gonna say it--Plundor is RIC FREAKIN' FLAIR! Think about it! He's a "foppish dandy", as Bri-Man put it, just like Flair, who took a lot of his heel cues from guys like Gorgeous George and the original "Nature Boy" Buddy Rogers. He's excessively greedy and into "the finer things in life" just like the "limousine ridin', jet flyin', kiss stealing, wheeling and dealing son of a gun!" He's pink, and Flair wears/wore pink ALL THE TIME! What I'm really getting at here is that Plundor is many things to many people. That's why MOTU is so important to us. At least that's why it's important to me...
    love it!

Quote Originally Posted by Inhibitor View Post
    His power isn't part of his look, which is a major factor in MOTU. If he were a sludge monster, that might actually have been cool. His Bunny look is completely unintuitive and he doesn't hop around or bring any kind of rabbit like ability to the table. MOTU is more than mere anthropomorphism. Filmation only did half their homework on him.
    He doesn't hop around so far as we're shown in his one appearance. As far as the figures are concerned, he's about as intuitive as Mer-Man. Plundor does have jumping abilities...with
    THE POWER OF IMAGINATION
    I'll get to the genius of Plundor's design further down...

Quote Originally Posted by DVD View Post
    I'm all for getting Plundor! Someone posted a thought about him being almost Joker-ish and after finding a way to Eternia, becomes obsessed with being a thorn in He-Man's side. Love it! And truthfully, how many opportunities for awesome pictures is a pink bunny figure going to inspire?? He's comedy gold!
    Yeah, that was me. My idea was that Plundor snaps in prison, becoming obsessed with the powerful stranger that so easily destroyed everything he had built on Draedus. I figure, from there Plundor somehow gets to Eternia, determined to test He-Man physically, spiritually, and psychologically, in an attempt to corrupt or “spoil” him, and bring him down to Plundor’s level. I’m glad you like the idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Veebs View Post
    That is simply not correct, because that was not the intention. In his starring episode, Plundor was a despot that enslaved a planet and was killing it from an environmental aspect. He was getting rich off of the destruction of the natural world by the blood of the workers, all for wealth. Paul Dini wrote that as an (admittedly heavy-handed) allegory for corporate corruption and the unchecked power of the all mighty dollar. World and people be damned. This was presented in the 1980s (though, it still holds true today) where old men in fancy clothes were the ones sacrificing everything for more money. They certainly did not LOOK threatening. But they were, and still are. That is is the point. An old white man in a suit looks no more threatening than a purple bunny. The symbolic nature is about as blunt as it gets.
    Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Plundor is more socially and politically relevant today than when he was first introduced. He's MOTU's Gordon Gecko. He represents the 1%.
    I can expand on these only by pointing out that the genius of making the Big Bad Polluting Villain a pink bunny man is the idea of combining the greedy corporate tycoon and the innocuous corporate mascot. Though it was a heavy handed allegory, it was nonetheless an interesting idea to venture in an 80s cartoon. It was a great way of getting the message to kids that just because a corporation uses something cute and cuddly as it's face- does not mean they have your best interests in mind.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

I love Plundar. He is perfect in every way.

Rabbits are terrifying... anybody seen Watership Down?
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    I love Plundar. He is perfect in every way.

Rabbits are terrifying... anybody seen Watership Down?
    I think you're missing the true terrifying bunny experience: Night of the Lepus starring Bones McCoy!
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    I think you're missing the true terrifying bunny experience: Night of the Lepus starring Bones McCoy!
    And Monty Python and The Holy Grail!

In all seriousnes, Watership Down still gives me the creeps at 32...
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by geooco View Post
    And don't forget to ask Jimmy Carter how horrifying a rabbit can truly be...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    Oh well...at least you didn't complain about him being pink
    Plundor isn't pink. Really. The schminivits are pink, and the Pink Panther is pink (reddishness and whiteness dominate over bluishness). Whereas Plundor is purple (bluishness is at least as prominent as reddishness). Don't believe me? Just look and compare:

Plundor is purple (or lavender/lilac if you prefer). Clear as day.
    Madrid | Lang It Yourself | Dozens | Angast, Aramesh, Aroo, Azrog, Balina, Basher, Batmek, Bone Throne, Celice, Collector, Colossor, Dark Dream, Delora, Dragosaur, Elmora, Eternos Palace, Garth, Gleedal, Granita, Hexon, Ileena, Kittrina, Majestra, Molkrom, Mortella, Ollo, Orko's Bed, Rabar, Sandipede, Schminivit, Snoob, Sumana, Tamusk, Tataran, Tic-Toc, Valtira, Wolfbat, Yog, Zilora, Zoog

Why complain about it just don't buy it or sell it to me when you get him I'll take him off your hands...

Quote Originally Posted by uaxuctum View Post
    Plundor isn't pink. Really. The schminivits are pink, and the Pink Panther is pink (reddishness and whiteness dominate over bluishness). Whereas Plundor is purple (bluishness is at least as prominent as reddishness). Don't believe me? Just look and compare:

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...CGbUWCR4WdZFhg
    http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3r5pI-W4q4AF_w

Plundor is purple (or lavender/lilac if you prefer). Clear as day.
    ehh...it depends on the shot. in this one he clearly looks pink:

so i can agree that he's most likely technically lilac in color which sits between the more purple lavender and the more pink mauve:
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    And don't forget to ask Jimmy Carter how horrifying a rabbit can truly be...
    I had no idea what you were talking about and so googled "jimmy carter rabbit"-- oh, the wonder of it all! It has its own wikipedia page!
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com