Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Toyguru Mattycollector.com MOTUC News Thread July 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    Here's my conspiracy theory: If Nepthu is getting a slot and we might have more controversial character choices, maybe the line wasn't as in danger as we were led to believe.

The fans are deathly afraid of the end of the line, but TG is the only one here who knows exactly how healthy the line is. For all we know, the line was doing fine last year, but TG was scaring us with the 2013 sub scare to get higher sales out of the fanbase to justify making Castle Grayskull.

Fans aren't wound up enough these days without someone throwing even more conspiracy theories out there?? Why even go there? I usually agree with much of what you type on here but that kind of stuff does not add anything to the conversation.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Nonononononono! You totally missed my point.
    While Plundor as a character is really well written, menacing, evil, sinister and from an adult point of view even an allegory for todays corporations destroying the environment to make quick cash - he is VISUALLY not appealing.
    But again, that is a personal opinion that not everyone shares. A number of vintage MOTU look visually unappealing we have just gotten used to their looks over the last 30 years.

A large, evil pink bunny? What's to hate? If you hate him that much, just paint him gray and call him Bugs.

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    When I see a figure I don't want (which I usually end up liking when i get them in my collection ) I just say well its nice that the people who really want this guy/girl are getting him/her. People seem so rash around here about you own needs. enjoy the ride! Yeah it sucks when you want something for so long and it seems like it will never come just look at stories like pixel dan who wanted musquitor... or me who just wanted a fully articulated original he-man figure...I really wanted one for years and then this line started and I got it really fast.

Its a not a "Remake the vintage" line That would be easy. Sure thing. Mattel is trying to expand the brand to have more characters to draw from for a wider base of fans and for the potential for media. If they just stuck to the vintage they are painting themselves in a corner so to say.

If we get plundor enjoy it or hate it but don't stir on it...look to the next month. Spector has just recently stopped being the most hated figure in this line....have people moved on? I think so...nepthu and plundor are the new spectors. Whatever. They are or may be in the line. just move on and enjoy the figures you enjoy. Its not always about you.

Heroic Warrior
    Can somebody please explain the hate for Nepthu? Plundor I can slightly understand, as he is a giant pink bunny, but Nepthu? Is it simply because Scott likes him?

I like Plundor now, he's grown on me. Nepthu looks Egyptian, what's so bad about that? Both characters would be good to have, and both would help bank tooling dollars for the line because they would be so easy to make. Besides, who are they going to keep us from getting if they are slotted in? Does anyone really think that Razz and Broom, Sea Hawk, Scorpia, Strong-Arm and Lizard Man have not been slotted in by the end of 2015? Really?
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

I agree with Canada-Man. Sure, we'd all like to get exactly what we like. And sure, a large percent of fans agree there's a few stinkers in the line. But if I don't want a figure, I can simply sell it off or trade it out. For the most part, I think the character selection in this line has been incredible.

Skystalker, I definitely don't hate Nepthu. He's just not anywhere on my own want-list in terms of figure priority. So I understand annoyance. But, the outrage around him from some folks puzzles me as well. Some people have said some really nasty things elsewhere online. IMO, it makes no sense to reduce it to that level over a toy.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    I agree with Canada-Man. Sure, we'd all like to get exactly what we like. And sure, a large percent of fans agree there's a few stinkers in the line. But if I don't want a figure, I can simply sell it off or trade it out. For the most part, I think the character selection in this line has been incredible.

Skystalker, I definitely don't hate Nepthu. He's just not anywhere on my own want-list in terms of figure priority. So I understand annoyance. But, the outrage around him from some folks puzzles me as well. Some people have said some really nasty things elsewhere online. IMO, it makes no sense to reduce it to that level over a toy.
    Agreed! While I would rather have other characters before the likes of Plundor and Nepthu, that just shows how diverse and hopefully complete our collections will be when the line ends. I truly think that we're going to get *something* in 2016, even if it's just a 6 figure sub. As long as they keep making awesome figures, I'm in.

With nepthu you could actually have a cleaver bio where his helps king hiss when hiss takes an egyptian looking form (200x) to gain nepthu's help against he-man....ehhhh?

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Besides, who are they going to keep us from getting if they are slotted in? Does anyone really think that Razz and Broom, Sea Hawk, Scorpia, Strong-Arm and Lizard Man have not been slotted in by the end of 2015? Really?
    Well it seems that either Masque or Huntara won't be made and that is a big letdown!

I also know I'm a bit worried about never seeing Granita, Hunga, Vultak and many others in MOTUC...
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Can somebody please explain the hate for Nepthu? Is it simply because Scott likes him?

I like Plundor now, he's grown on me. Nepthu looks Egyptian, what's so bad about that? Both characters would be good to have, and both would help bank tooling dollars for the line because they would be so easy to make. Besides, who are they going to keep us from getting if they are slotted in? Does anyone really think that Razz and Broom, Sea Hawk, Scorpia, Strong-Arm and Lizard Man have not been slotted in by the end of 2015? Really?
    I don't hate Nepthu, he just doesn't interest me. I feel there that are many characters more deserving of figures than he is. If the recent Filmation poll results are any indicator of popularity, he's not even in the top 25.

Mattel's claim that Nepthu is a B-list figure in the same league as Huntara is also kinda annoying. If they truly believe he's that popular, then the SDCC vote should be pitting him against Masque instead.

I can't believe that there's even the slightest chance we don't get a lord masque figure. As long as I've been a member of these forums since before the 200x line people have been wishing for a masque. To say he's a tier 2 filmation figure makes scott sound out of touch with what the fans have been saying for years. Masque is as demanded as icer and batros and considering we will already have a shikoti, masque seems like a no brianer for the filmation line.
    bnl4life

Heroic Rock Warrior jdscissorhands's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketPunch View Post
    If they truly believe he's that popular, then the SDCC vote should be pitting him against Masque instead.
    Agreed! This vote is really frustrating!

What's next then? Will we have to choose between Angella or Glimmer? Modulok or Horde Trooper? Ssqueeeze or Tung Lashor?
    20 Most needed characters before MOTUC ends...

Heroic: Lizard Man / King Miro / Hawke / Dakon
    Evil: Evilseed
    POP: Angella / King Micah / General Sunder/ Twiggets 3 pack
    Horde: Vultak / Hunga / Prahvus
    POG: Veena
    SnakeMen: Tung Lashor / Sssqueeze
    Rock People: Granita
    NA: Darius / Sebrian

Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    What's next then? Will we have to choose between Angella or Glimmer? Modulok or Horde Trooper? Ssqueeeze or Tung Lashor?
    That would have me seething.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

Quote Originally Posted by jdscissorhands View Post
    Agreed! This vote is really frustrating!

The only difference between the two is masque and huntara were in what ....3 episodes combined?? how many were each of the others you listed...or how many already had action figures. your only attempting to stir the pot with that statement.

also it was not stated anywhere that one wins the other NEVER gets made. it just may mean we wait longer to get the other...If the fans are there to buy I see us getting every figure we all want...plundor included...lol
    Last edited by Canada-Man; July 6, 2013 at 11:27am.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    A large, evil pink bunny? What's to hate?
    Whatīs to love?

If you hate him that much, just paint him gray and call him Bugs.
    Would he fit into MOTUC then?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by JVS3 View Post
    Couldnīt agree more!
    Maybe itīs the reason why I am so "loud" about this issue - Iīve never had to deal with selling any figure of my subs, because I could find a soft spot in my heart for them all. Plundor - no chance. First figure I would instantly offer for sale the second he is revealed as a toy. Twice, because I have two subs.
    Positivity, folks!
    Letīs all agree to love MOTU enough to let others love MOTU, too!

Heroic Warrior
    I'm actually very nervous about posting in this thread but I thought of a couple of things no-one has mentioned.

Working on the assumption that the Filmation sub is Icer, Shokoti, Batros, Sea Hawk, Plundor and Nepthu it actually makes quite a lot of sense, have three clear tiers of characters - Shokoti & Sea Hawk, Icer & Batros & Plundor, Nepthu - you have an obscurity, a divisive character, non-divisive characters. It's a heavily condensed version of a regular collector's toy line. That doesn't argue against the argument that there are a good deal of characters who, going on overall popularity and demand, should have been made before Plundor or Nepthu of course, because there isn't really an argument against that (hell it's been at least proven by fan polls).

Other things - we were never going to get an equal split between POP and MOTU (should we have? yes) because POP remains less popular and less 'acceptable' (do i agree with that, no, I love the POP stuff) even nobodies like Nepthu remain more 'more acceptable' to a certain mindset simply by being MOTU associated and we were never going to get a line of all really big Filmation exclusives because they want to keep most of them for the main line. Again this doesn't justify or excuse things like prioritizing a nobody or Toyguru's perceived behavior it's just that no one brought these up is all.

Plus at least these're not taking up or vying for 6 now very valuable slots in the main line for 2014/15. As someone who's most indifferent to many of the 1-off Filmation characters, that's one of the things I've found the most pleasure in, we still get good figures, but we also get the peace of mind of knowing that the next two years worth of big(ger) guns won't have to duke it out with yet 6 more characters (some highly requested, even on the same level as them) for their slots.

The first character made wasn't a Vintage character at all. In fact, there was a slide showing all of the possible characters that they were going to try to make in the line who weren't in the Vintage line. This was shown at SDCC 2008.
    They showed an image that used Filmation characters/designs they didn't have the rights to, and half that they did. Regardless, what I said was correct because they didn't start introducing characters from other mediums until late 2009/2010. I am basing this on what we got, not what they intended. And, for the record, the first release of King Grayskull was not using the same buck as the current MOTUC line. That is why he received a 2.0 release so that he would be part of it. The MOTUC line officially kicked off with Beast Man and He-Man in 2008.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    Fans aren't wound up enough these days without someone throwing even more conspiracy theories out there?? Why even go there? I usually agree with much of what you type on here but that kind of stuff does not add anything to the conversation.
    I'm thinking that the line might not be as in as much danger as the fans might believe if TG is comfortable enough to KEEP throwing in characters that fans haven't asked for. He was warned about this by fans. He should know the climate on the forums when it comes to characters that aren't widely asked for, especially now.

That's why I'm thinking that where we are sitting, the line is on it's last legs; where TG sits, things are going fine enough to throw Nepthu in the line. Fans are horrified, but TG isn't...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    They showed an image that used Filmation characters/designs they didn't have the rights to, and half that they did. Regardless, what I said was correct because they didn't start introducing characters from other mediums until late 2009/2010. I am basing this on what we got, not what they intended. And, for the record, the first release of King Grayskull was not using the same buck as the current MOTUC line. That is why he received a 2.0 release so that he would be part of it. The MOTUC line officially kicked off with Beast Man and He-Man in 2008.
    In Classics first full year, we got He-Ro, Zodak and Green Goddess. Mattel told us that they were possible as far back as 2008 SDCC.

Mattel started off with the original Vintage characters because they were the easiest to make, given the parts re-use. Half-way through 2009, He-Ro was introduced to the line. Non-Vintage characters were planned from the start, despite the earliest years being Vintage heavy. Characters who were never made as figures were a big part in establishing Classics identity from the lines that preceded it.

King Grayskull is the same buck that they've been using ever since. Mattel didn't create a new one to accommodate He-Man onward. The boots are different to give him height and his head, armor and cape aren't removable, something they started with He-Man. Otherwise, he's the same figure that we've been getting.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm thinking that the line might not be as in as much danger as the fans might believe if TG is comfortable enough to KEEP throwing in characters that fans haven't asked for. He was warned about this by fans. He should know the climate on the forums when it comes to characters that aren't widely asked for, especially now.

That's why I'm thinking that where we are sitting, the line is on it's last legs; where TG sits, things are going fine enough to throw Nepthu in the line. Fans are horrified, but TG isn't...

- - - Updated - - -

Mattel started off with the original Vintage characters because they were the easiest to make, given the parts re-use. Half-way through 2009, He-Ro was introduced to the line. Non-Vintage characters were planned from the start, despite the earliest years being Vintage heavy. Characters who were never made as figures were a big part in establishing Classics identity from the lines that preceded it.

King Grayskull is the same buck that they've been using ever since. Mattel didn't create a new one to accommodate He-Man onward. The boots are different to give him height and his head, armor and cape aren't removable, something they started with He-Man. Otherwise, he's the same figure that we've been getting.
    No, they started with them because that is what they wanted to make first and thought had the best chance of selling. Scott said himself that they didn't know it would be as successful as it was. They only originally thought they'd release 6-8 figures. They HOPED they could do more. This is why 2009 is heavily MOTU.

And yes, King Grayskull used a different parts, hence he wasn't the same, which is why they made a second version to fit the style used in MOTUC.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    No, they started with them because that is what they wanted to make first and thought had the best chance of selling. Scott said himself that they didn't know it would be as successful as it was. They only originally thought they'd release 6-8 figures. They HOPED they could do more. This is why 2009 is heavily MOTU.
    I'm not disputing your second point. But that first point...they chose the figures that they did because they were easiest. Why do you think we got Zodac before Man-At-Arms?

Toyguru
    We knew that MOTUC needed to use heavy shared tooling and parts to work from a financial standpoint. Luckily, the vintage line shared this strategy so we had precedent for this tactic, without looking like we were going cheap. It also made the figures feel very “MOTU” by having them use common arms, legs, and furry loin cloths! Additionally, we came up with a creative direction for sculpting (more on this in a later blog).
    Toyguru
    But really this was about zeroing in on six characters that could use the human, reptile and beast bucks with minimal new parts. Mer-Man needed more new parts vs Zodac, so he didn’t make the cut.

Very late in the game the choice was made to split these 2-packs up into single figures to spread the releases out and have six months worth of product. This would give us time to gauge the success of the line and whether we could move forward with a seventh figure. (And on a personal note, I am so glad this choice was approved!)
    That's why the line was so Vintage heavy at first. The "evil warrior buck" Skeletor and Mer-Man reuse parts, the "furry buck" Beast Man and Stratos reused parts, Zodac is a mix of "evil warrior buck" and "furry buck". Grayskull, He-Man and Faker have the same body.

And yes, King Grayskull used a different parts, hence he wasn't the same, which is why they made a second version to fit the style used in MOTUC.
    He is the same...

Toyguru
    While most of He-Man was paid for already through King Grayskull, obviously a few additional items were needed. Originally, design only wanted to give He-Man the half power sword. In one of those (not so rare) occasions of me stepping out of my marketing silo, I literally begged design to please throw in the full sword as well.

Additionally, the original plan was not to have the swappable heads or armor (which is why King Grayskull’s head and armor was not removable). As a fan, I really wanted swappable heads and armor for customization, and I extrapolated that my desires for multiple heads likely mirrored most fans’ desires.
    Toyguru
    One side note I should add is that He-Man was actually the first figure to suffer from the dreaded “reversed shoulder” issue. When He-Man was assembled (and actually the original King Grayskull, too, I should add) the male human shoulders were new to us and no one but the Horsemen caught that the shoulders were reversed. Obviously we made this correction with the second run, but man, how embarrassing. Luckily, the detail that differentiated left from right was very minor.
    ...Mattel didn't have the budget to sculpt King Grayskull, then do it all over again to make He-Man.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

I'm fine with Netpthu and Plundor (neither of which would make my top 10 but they look fun) because they are in the add-on sub, which makes me think we'll see the main players in the main sub, and I'm confident enough in the line to not worry about 2014 or really even 2015 not going forward. If I'm wrong, I'll be sad about it later. No use crying over milk that hasn't even spilled yet.

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    I'm fine with Netpthu and Plundor (neither of which would make my top 10 but they look fun) because they are in the add-on sub, which makes me think we'll see the main players in the main sub, and I'm confident enough in the line to not worry about 2014 or really even 2015 not going forward. If I'm wrong, I'll be sad about it later. No use crying over milk that hasn't even spilled yet.
    I am sure 2014 and 2015 will go forward too, just so people can complete vintage MOTU and PoP, if anything. What I do fear is Scott's idea of popular Filmation, NA, and Comic characters. He said these would be in both years, and that they'd be the "most demanded" or A-list. However, Scott said that he considers Nepthu as popular as Huntara and Masque, which is obvious to anyone with a pulse that this is not the case. So, it has me worried what he has selected in these categories for the next two years, seeing as his idea of what is in demand doesn't match the customers. Yes, the line could continue after 2015, and I hope it does. But, just in case, I'd prefer getting some of the better characters first if we only will see 3 per year. There are just so many great characters, they really could use a Filmation mini-sub in both 2014 and 2015 too!

Will we get this version of Nepthu?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NO DYLAMUG? WE DIAL A MOB!
    The Space Mutants are missing something CRITAcal!
    Chocolate and Vanilla swiiiirl. Swur-Urrl. -Crazy Eyes

Heroic Warrior
    Personally I won't support Plundor or Nephtu, no way the 4 HM can make those characters looking interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by Canada-Man View Post
    The only difference between the two is masque and huntara were in what ....3 episodes combined??
    2 Episodes, Masque wasn't in or even mentioned in House of Shokoti part 2

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Force View Post
    Whatīs to love?

Would he fit into MOTUC then?

- - - Updated - - -

Couldnīt agree more!
    Maybe itīs the reason why I am so "loud" about this issue - Iīve never had to deal with selling any figure of my subs, because I could find a soft spot in my heart for them all. Plundor - no chance. First figure I would instantly offer for sale the second he is revealed as a toy. Twice, because I have two subs.
    I don't care to entertain the idea that pink bunny is more demanded than Strong Arm, Sea Hawk or Masque.

The fact that this kind of stuff is being sneaked in without telling us what we are getting screams of chicanery on Mattel's part.

This "pay 40 dollars for pink bunny or you will never get Masque" stuff is one of many readons why this line has lost so many fans over the past few years.

I am thinking a lot of people will dump the sub service once Batros and Icer are in hand, especially if pink bunny is forced onto the 2013 filmation subbers.

It will be a repeat of 2013 sub, wherein MANY people dumped their subs after getting Ram Man to refrain from being forced to buy FFM and Karatti.

I suspect that once history justifiably repeats itself, Mattels people will get angry and resort to more petty, spiteful behavior toward the fans.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    Personally I won't support Plundor or Nephtu, no way the 4 HM can make those characters looking interesting...
    Agreed.

80 dollars for stuffp that has no demand on par with Masque, Sea Hawk or even String Arm for that matter.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Mars View Post
    2 Episodes, Masque wasn't in or even mentioned in House of Shokoti part 2
    Batros was only in one episode, and he got a figure.

Why not do the same for Masque?

Like others have said, Masque is much easier to customize and since 2016 is a huge stretch for this line right now I'd take it that the loser isn't going to make it in at all. Huntara has more going on as a character but Masque is a must with Shokoti. If I had to be strategic, I'd say Huntara.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada-Man View Post
    With nepthu you could actually have a cleaver bio where his helps king hiss when hiss takes an egyptian looking form (200x) to gain nepthu's help against he-man....ehhhh?
    I think that Nepthu has a cool Pharaoh look going on and with a slight adjustment in color scheme he would be awesome. As for strange choices for MOTUC, it's par for the course. Plundor is kind of a love/hate character (I'm not a fan) but you know what, we're in the last leg of this line and 2015 seems like a pipe dream. The subs have always included figures I could due without so why should the new ones be any different? I'm just hoping for some decent heavy hitters because 2014 is fixing to be a hard sell for me.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.