View Poll Results: Are you happy with the use of black plastic (blastic)

Voters
88. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 13.64%
  • No

76 86.36%

Thread: Poll: How much of an issue is the "Blastic issue"?

Poll: How much of an issue is the "Blastic issue"?

As discussed at length elsewhere, it seems that a design choice was made whereby plastic molded black has been/is being used for several MOTUC figures. Unless the character in question is predominately black, this means that a liberal application of paint is required on the torso and/or limbs (including joints).

Regardless of whether or not it is the plastic itself that is the problem, the paint, the time allowed for the paint to cure or a combination of these, this practice has been associated with several QC issues (see separate thread of photos as requested by ToyGuru).

Are you happy with the use of black plastic (blastic) and everything that comes along with it?

Doing my best Skeletor... Agent John Utah's Avatar
    No. By using black plastic on so many body parts they have inadvertently made the quality of a MOTUC figure on par with a bootleg or knockoff figure we used to get in the 80's. There is a major difference in the surface sheen and texture between a part molded in the appropriate color or just molded black and then painted. The painted parts usually look darker or have less saturation than they should. Also it seems to fill in the surface texture sculpted on the parts as can be seen with the Rattlor body parts used in the Snake Men 2-pack. It makes those little details less "crisp", and more like a wax casting left under a hot lamp. Just my 2 cents...
    Visit my MotU Magazine Scans Thread>
    ██▓▓▒▒░░ Agent John Utah ░░▒▒▓▓██

i dont like the idea of paintless figures

I think having a 30 dollar brand new figure of the 2012 I should get a figure that can hold the paint job!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

Heroic Warrior
    I agree with you Light Hope.

I'm not HAPPY with it but I'm not entirely UNHAPPY with it. Though I bet I will be if I'm ever affected by it.

No I'm not happy with it in as much as I like it ever so much more when it's cast in the appropriate colour and painted when needed.

I personally havent had any problem with paint chips. Like, AT ALL.

And if it save the company money and makes the line more "Logistical", more likely to continue, I'm completely ok with black plastic.

But specifically speaking, no I prefer cast in appropriate plastic colours.

I feel really sick when I think about it... when I saw the photos I just wanted to puke all around...
    I know 2 angels: their names are Jedi_Kunle and Mikethedrummer!

Worship the Snake Goddess!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...-at-some-point

Round 2, vote for
    Tuvar, Baddrah, Crita, Granita, Gray, Colonel Blast and the Snake Goddess

I think it gives the figures a different look, making them not look as uniform with older figures. The older figures which typically were molded in the right colored plastics have a brighter appearance to them. Figures like Spikor and SLL, however, have a darker, slightly dingy look to them. They are much less "toyetic".
    I serve up lots of hot, fresh action figure reviews on Action Figure Barbecue!

"We have a Ram-Man"

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    A HUGE issue to me - I don't want to be over-protective over my toys.

The blastic issue is the nuttiest things I've ever seen!! Why woud you do that!?! If you have to save money - try something else! This is like painting a pair of black leather shoes brown and saying you have brown shoes! You just don't do it!
    MOTUC WISHLIST - Karg | Lady Slther | Kothos | Staghorn | Sorceress of Serpos Teela | Hunga the Harpy | Kittrina | Dylamug | Hawke | Angast | Zilora | Artilla | Quakke | Robo-Woman | Great Black Wizard | Enchantress | Red Beast | Delora | DC He-Man | DC Skeletor | Lodar | Fang-Or | Mini Comics Tri-Klops | Filmation Jitsu, Frosta & Kobra Khan | Hans Hammer Holder | Granita |

Snappy Threader
    Still haven't seen any on mine. I am going to check them very closely tonight to see.....

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    no, because the paint chips or the black shows.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

You just shouldn't paint joints when you don't have to. They've proven that they don't have to with a vast majority of the figures so far...I'm not seeing a good reason to suddenly start painting bodies when they didn't have to before. Skeletor was looking just fine molded in blue...what happened?

It's not like it's a huge thing, but the percentage of paint errors will raise when you've got more area to paint; especially when joints are involved. Why tempt fate? You KNOW paint errors will happen - they happen to any toyline - so why increase the chance by doing this crazy black plastic thing?
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

NO....

Let me say this....the base color should be whatever color the figure is supposed to be in, body wise, boots, hands, heads....whatever can be painted, just not the damn joints....

For the most part, it's not about the Black plastic itself, it's about the figure being painted entirely at all, it's an Ass move, and should be stopped immediately. The practice is asinine
    and for a large million / billion whatever dollar company like Mattel to do on Collector's figures, where the fans support the line almost entirely....is ass, plain and simple.

To hell with painted figures, let's have MOTUC back to what it was prior to July 2012 with Spikor & Vykron....Listen up Scott, THIS is what we want No Painted Joints, No Painted Figures, other than what we has prior. Not just a different base color plastic....come on, I really hope you guys are smarter than that....???
    Recent.... Spirit of Grayskull
    Coming....
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Jitsu, Perfuma, Masque, Crita & Vultak
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor & the new Filmation line.

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    No to black plastic!

For the lone fact that if the paint ever scuffs, chips, or rubs (which tends to happen with toys), the black plastic will always show through. It's bad enough looking at the huge zit on Fisto's nose but now the joints have to look like crap too?

Plus it makes it harder to swap parts.

Heroic Warrior
    Damn, I voted wrong

I meant NO!

Worst decision after Stinkor's forarms...

NO to black plastic!
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Black plastic undermines the strength of this line. The definition of the sculpts is lesser, then the colors look worse. Finally the articulation becomes a problem as posing your figures becomes tricky.
    Sunny. Yesterday my life was filled with rain. Sunny. You smiled at me and really eased the pain. Now the dark days are done and the bright days are here. My Sunny one shines so sincere. Sunny one so true. I love you. - Bobby Hebb

It doesn't matter what colour your plastic is, it's whats inside that counts.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodster6 View Post
    It doesn't matter what colour your plastic is, it's whats inside that counts.
    That means nothing when you're empty and hollow inside....
    Recent.... Spirit of Grayskull
    Coming....
    Wanted.... NA She-Ra, Jitsu, Perfuma, Masque, Crita & Vultak
    Considering....
    Needed.... Dragstor & the new Filmation line.

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Heroic Warrior
    It's completely fine with me. I own paint. I own paintbrushes. I learned how to use the two, a long time ago, to modify and improve my toys.
    AUDACIEUX ET TENACE