Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is excessive toy collecting a disease? Hoarding?

Lately, I've been slippin'.

All that Big Lots stuff arrived and then I built Iron Monger and started buying the Man of Steel Movie Masters.

I've been selling off stuff though so things don't get out of hand. College starts up in a few weeks so I just have to hold out until then.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    The best way to curb toy buying is to limit the amount of shelf space you have for toys.

I took a shelf down yesterday and have minimum space. I have spots for Winston and Stay-Puft, some extra room for a RA SDCC Peter if I choose and a bit of extra space for a couple other things. That's it. I can't buy many more toys because I lack room.

Thanks for all the feedback guys, being a completist is definitely what hurts the most as it usually ends up in me paying crazy prices for the last one or two hard to get figures in a line, like what im willing to pay for the Royal Guardsman Bull from the 4H if anyone has one to sell. I got a bit carried away with the 4H Ravens Kickstarter as well - not sure where i am going to put all the 13 Birds from that line...

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    The best way to curb toy buying is to limit the amount of shelf space you have for toys.
    I took a shelf down yesterday and have minimum space. I have spots for Winston and Stay-Puft, some extra room for a RA SDCC Peter if I choose and a bit of extra space for a couple other things. That's it. I can't buy many more toys because I lack room.
    Space limitation is a good curb; if I can't find a place to put it, I must not need it. Of course, I use every nook and cranny I have in my display rooms, so that's the other side.

I've always had this cruel idea of inviting one of those home makeover shows to my house, and then watching as they look at my rooms and then go running down the streets screaming like banshees...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

As a kid I began exhibiting signs of extreme collecting. I collected anything and everything. Even if I knew very little about a toyline, if I got one, I wanted them all. At 19, I suddenly woke up and decided "I can't do this." I think I was motivated by the feeling that I was kind of a loser; I didn't have many friends and I was painfully shy, so getting a girlfriend was tough. Add onto this a bedroom full of toys and the nerddom was pretty intense. I haven't given up collecting, I just keep it on a tight leash. I only collect one toyline at a time, which now is MOTUC. The last toyline that I collected was the 200x line. I'm always tempted by other lines like Thundercats, Marvel Legends, WWE, and TMNT but I just don't want to invest the time and money into things that I'm only vaguely interested in.
    Last edited by Danavas; August 23, 2013 at 11:05am.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by illicitjedi View Post
    Honestly, there are a lot of good points made thus far; "Does collecting own you" for example.
    My mother is a legit hoarder, and I will not post pictures for my own sanity. I collect things, which probably started at a young age, but I'm also able to downsize and get rid of things I do not need, want, or will never use again.
    Hoarding is a psychosis, not a hobby or something that makes you happy. So, to me, there is a difference.
    When it becomes a recognizable problem, then its hoarding. Some people live in very small apartments, and some have massive basement and garbage spaces. As long as you're not buried alive, you can do some creative organizing to make even a large collection look good.

If your collection doesn't take priority over your bills, meals, savings, and other passions, or keep you from your friends, and makes you happy. Then it is not a problem.

Now you have us curious! Post pictures!
    Last edited by CapricornDefender; April 1, 2014 at 11:42pm.
    Bugul Noz: The Glorious Hunter
    "So why Oo-Lar? The answer is simple. We really couldn't afford to put boots on He-Man, or sculpt exciting new bracers or armor components. We're just too broke. In a first for any figure- bare feet."

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CapricornDefender View Post
    If your collection doesn't take priority over your bills, meals, savings, and other passions, or keep you from your friends, and makes you happy. Then it is not a problem.
    That's pretty much the best summation I think anyone could give of the issue.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman