Thread: Battlecats

Battlecats

A new scene!

I knew i wanted to drew Catra and since iīm trying to pair Etherian with Eternian characters Kittrina was the logical choice for me.

The next step was the scenery, i was pretty locked on that as well. The temple, of course.

But whatīs Catra with out Clawdeen and who would be better paired up with Kittrina as Battlecat himself. So those two had to be included as well and since the temple is big enough for those four individuals. I said piece of cake….

…as if…and it took quite some time to figure out how to pose them and how the whole picture could work.

The temple itself is amazingly drawn by the FILMATION artists, as always and it was a challenge to figure out how it is suppose to be and in the end i changed some small details as i couldīt figure them out properly.

And here it is:

Battlecats

Kittrina and Battlecat protecting the temple against Catra and Clawdeen!

Kittrina is very much like i have drawn her before and i really like this character.

I have never drawn Battlecat before and now iīm asking myself why? His design is simply amazing.

Catra looks very much the same as i drawn her last time but i changed her outfit color from fuchsia to red. I like that better on her.

Clawdeen has gotten the biggest redesign from me. I tried to make her more dangerous looking and less cute little petsy like. I gave her a mask similar to Catras and pretended the sit on her saddle can be removed as it would be an easy target in a real fight. So i tossed it aside

EDIT: I worked on the shadows as MAXX suggested and he was right, iīm sure i could have gone even darker but for now iīm happy
    Last edited by Niki; July 9, 2013 at 07:46pm.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Pretty cool style. I really like your clawdeen and that temple in the back.

What i am not a fan of is the anatomy of catra, her body is just way to small for my taste compared to the legs that 3 or 4 times the hight.
    And i think some stronger shadows might help to show that they are on the ground, especially where feet/claws interact with the floor, same for the plants, to flesh them out and help showing that they are on the walls, not floating.

Wonderful Niki. Thanks a lot for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by MAXX View Post
    Pretty cool style. I really like your clawdeen and that temple in the back.

What i am not a fan of is the anatomy of catra, her body is just way to small for my taste compared to the legs that 3 or 4 times the hight.
    And i think some stronger shadows might help to show that they are on the ground, especially where feet/claws interact with the floor, same for the plants, to flesh them out and help showing that they are on the walls, not floating.
    Thank you very much.

Clawdeen and the temple turned out to my satisfaction so iīm glad you like them.

I get what you mean when it comes to Catras anatomy i tend to exaggerate the length of female legs in general, in a few weeks when i have some distant iīm sure i will look at it as well and will think what did i do there

Thank you for the advise with the shadow iīll try that tonight and will edit in my original post!

Quote Originally Posted by Nankeiro View Post
    Wonderful Niki. Thanks a lot for sharing.
    I have to thank you and i can tell you itīs my pleasure since itīs so much fun working on characters and environments i love since my childhood!
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Quote Originally Posted by Niki View Post
    I have to thank you and i can tell you itīs my pleasure since itīs so much fun working on characters and environments i love since my childhood!

Wow! Exactly! It's a unique experience.

the redesign of clawdeen is pretty neat . i wish i could see it in toy form that way .

Quote Originally Posted by kanon View Post
    the redesign of clawdeen is pretty neat . i wish i could see it in toy form that way .
    Thank you, i tried to make her more dangerous looking before but she still looked like a cute gigantic care bear friends clone.

But i wanted to proof the fact that she is a pink lioness isnīt the reason why she doesīt look that dangerous the mask really helps and the darker mane with NO curls is helping as well if you ask me

Your killing it Niki with the all-Cat motif, keep up these illustrations as your narrative is adding a whole new dimension to your art work! Battle Cat is my favorite in this, majestic & cool! (but Catra is a close 2nd!)
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

This is truly beautiful.
    I like how you didn't keep it entirely symmetrical, I think it makes the whole scene more dynamic.

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    Your killing it Niki with the all-Cat motif, keep up these illustrations as your narrative is adding a whole new dimension to your art work! Battle Cat is my favorite in this, majestic & cool! (but Catra is a close 2nd!)
    Well the cat motives were all there i just combined them and it was fun!

It takes me hours to come up with some decent stuff as iīm not fast when it comes to drawing and sketching. And putting all those temple pieces together was really tough. In FILMATION the do a cut and suddenly new plants appear or another wall is there which wasnīt there before. I took me some time and in the end i messed up some stuff but i wanted to make the temple as realistic as possible.

Battlecat surprised me as well, i was drawing him and used my MOTUC figure as reference and it all went very smoothly and when i colored him i was amazed how great his design is. I just sat there a stared…at my own sketch…that was weird.

Drawing Catra is fun and putting her in that catsuit just feels right for me!

Quote Originally Posted by Galdelico View Post
    This is truly beautiful.
    I like how you didn't keep it entirely symmetrical, I think it makes the whole scene more dynamic.
    Thank you very much!
    In real life nothing is really symmetrical and i think especially something that ancient which most likely was made per hand or in this case paws!!! canīt be perfectly symmetrical

Especially iīm thanking you for the word dynamic. I said it before but my pictures lack of dynamic sometimes but iīm working on that!
    Last edited by Niki; July 12, 2013 at 07:08pm.

Snappy Threader
    Great work. Wonderful!

Looks very NIKIan!
    Love it!

Quote Originally Posted by iron_pride View Post
    Great work. Wonderful!
    Thank you, maybe that sounds cheesy but that you used the word wonderful means a lot to me, iīm a big "Wonderful land of Oz" fan !

Quote Originally Posted by Brad2dbone View Post
    Nice! Love it.
    Thank you very much!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantisaur82 View Post
    Looks very NIKIan!
    Love it!
    HA HA HA i didnīt know there is a Nikian way

But MAXXīs advise for the shadows made the picture a lot better, i simply have to admit!