Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Resellers - how successful have you been this year?

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar

Resellers - how successful have you been this year?

So I decided to sub for the first time this year. I wanted Ram-Man, and bought into the "sub if you want him" push. I justified the sub with "I can sell what I don't want, and the losses on shipping will be made up with the savings on the secondary price for the ones I want.

Flash forward to today. I just sold Octavia for $15 on eBay after getting no bites here. I sold Karatti for $9.75 on eBay before her. I made several failed attempts to sell FFM before begrudgingly keeping them. Out of curiosity, I decided to see what the net gain/loss on the year is so far.

Taking into account losses on shipping and selling items below retail, I am operating at a $44 loss on the year for figures I have sold (Netossa, Fang-Man, SNake Face, Karatti, and Octavia). That is almost exactly the difference I would have paid had I bought Ram-Man on BBTS (being generous here-many eBay auctions have him at considerably more). All things considered, that's not too bad.

However, that number jumps up dramatically if you factor in the FFM, which I wasn't even able to sell at a 33% discount below retail.

The real catch here is that I wouldn't have bought many of the figures I kept if I had to go out of my way to buy them (Jitsu, plus the upcoming Clamp Champ and Mantenna-NA He-Man might have been a Mad Matty slurge eventually). And with stuff like Castaspella and Geldor coming up that could be hard to unload without taking more losses, I can't help but regret my decision to subscribe.

So my question to the board is this: IF YOU ARE NOT KEEPING EVERYTHING ("I'm keeping it all" really doesn't add to the conversation) and are trying to make some of your money back, how successful have you been thusfar?
    Last edited by JonWes; July 9, 2013 at 02:47pm. Reason: User Request
    Sadly, you can't divorce emotion from a toyline built on nostalgia.

Got Man-E-Faces, give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

I decided to not try to unload mine this year. I am holding onto them for next year for the purpose of trading or selling. Sometimes when I look at ebay prices it can be disappointing, so I am trying to wait for them to become not so readily available.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Heroic Warrior
    I know, that we had to pay Mattel around 100$ for the FFM and no sub-holder is able to sell them for that price on secondary market. Because every sub-holder has at least 1 set, there is too much on the secondary market to sell them for a reasonsble price. Fact is, international customers loose a lot of money on this guys, at least around 50-60$...

Karatti is also not popular, same for Octavia or Netossa. You don't get your money back with these characters.

When Mattel makes next year a sub-only model, maybe you'll get your money back on secondary market, because of the stronger limitation of the figures and the better character selection.

Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post

When Mattel makes next year a sub-only model, maybe you'll get your money back on secondary market, because of the stronger limitation of the figures and the better character selection.
    Berserker is right, 2014 won't be a repeat of 2013. Secondary market prices should be stable and stellar. The character selection will make all the difference in the world. You won't be supporting a full sub for one figure like Ram Man, you'll want them all, or rather, they'll all be wanted.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I got 2 subs this year and with the extra money I was able to make off of a few figures, it offset any of the figures I had to sell at a "lost"

I pre sold FFM for right at cost, same for Netossa, karatti and Octavia.

And considering I sold King He-man for $100 and Fang man for $75, I have more then broke even for the year. i think the trick is to get 2 subs to help off set the costs for the figures you dont want. I get 2 b.c there are figures I want doubles of
    the ignore list is my new best friend

Quote Originally Posted by jzachery View Post
    Berserker is right, 2014 won't be a repeat of 2013. Secondary market prices should be stable and stellar. The character selection will make all the difference in the world. You won't be supporting a full sub for one figure like Ram Man, you'll want them all, or rather, they'll all be wanted.
    I agree that 2014 will likely be kinder for subscribers. Unfortunately, when I took a hard look at who I kept, I realized that I wouldn't have been heartbroken by passing on the sub entirely and just buying the one figure I really wanted. There just aren't any figures left that I would go out of my way for.

I had startrd the year thinking I'd sell off the ones I didn't want but instead have been able to use all of them to trade for the holes in My collection. I think I've come out pretty even trade wise judging by secondary prices. I'm surprised Octavia gets so little. I'm not a big POP guy but she's an amazing figure. First time My wife actually liked one as well...lol.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from Android app

So far I love everything I have gotten, I have two subs so that I can open one and have one set MOC. I'm not trying to unload anything for 2013 yet and with whats coming so far and whats rumored to be shown at SDCC I don't think I'll be selling anything
    Looking forward to the entire 2014 & 2015 line

The few that I've sold have been pretty much at cost plus shipping - so I came out even.

Except for Karatti that I literally cannot give away.

eBay can be so hit or miss. For example, I saw Spirit of Hordak sell multiple times between 35.00 and 70.00 all in the same week, with no rhyme or reason. I think some of it is timing, some of it is self-promotion, then there's "right place, right time" luck.

I'm sure there are some folks here with good eBay selling tips if you're looking to sell off unwanted MOTUC at the right time for maximum potential return.

In my opinion, it helps to have an ongoing (and friendly) presence in the Marketplace.
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

The only time I haven't made any money on any extras I've sold this year is losing out on some shipping money on a deal for Karatti + Fighting Foe Men. I've tried to sell all of my figures ahead of actually getting them, which has probably helped. I also have allowed international buying, which has probably helped a lot as well, as many of my sales have been international.

I bought 4 subs this year (to help the line) with the plan on selling 2 of them on the aftermarket. So far I've made money on mine overall (thanks to Ram Man, King He-Man, and Snake Face) but I'm still holding on to 2 Karattis that are collecting virtual dust on eBay. I would have had a loss with the FFM had I not broke them up and sold them loose. I broke even on Octavia.
    Last edited by jerec350; July 9, 2013 at 10:44am.
    View my collection and customs HERE!

I have two subs. One, I keep one of everything. I traded quite a few of mine for a Bronze King Grayskull. So it's been great for me so far. Haven't tried to sell FFM, yet. might just keep them to have their Horde versions down the road when I have more display space. Haven't tried to sell my spare King He-man, yet. But I imagine my spare Clamp Champ will sell well. NA He-man, and the two-pack army builder will very likely stay in my collection as extras. So I'm happy.

May not do two subs next year though.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    I've been quite happy with everything we got so far.
    But that might change if the Plundor rumors are true...
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mjw41 View Post
    So far I love everything I have gotten, I have two subs so that I can open one and have one set MOC. I'm not trying to unload anything for 2013 yet and with whats coming so far and whats rumored to be shown at SDCC I don't think I'll be selling anything
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    I've been quite happy with everything we got so far.
    But that might change if the Plundor rumors are true...
    But how much have you guys made/lost on reselling your figures this year?

I think I'm around £1 in profit and I got Ram Man and Fang Man at cost and I'm guaranteed Mantenna later this year, so I have absolutely NO regrets about subbing for this year (though the FFM didn't make things easy!) I guess it helped that:

1/I'm in the UK (so eBay UK isn't flooded with them like eBay USA is!),
    2/a US based friend helped me by having my sub ship to him and then on to me (saving on shipping/fees) and
    3/the fact that the low selling figures (Netossa, Octavia etc...) are the kind of figures I subbed for in the first place!

Here's the break down so far:

-Netossa = no loss/kept
    -Jitsu = no loss/kept
    -Ram Man = no loss/kept
    -Fang Man = no loss/kept
    -King He-man = SOLD for a £27 PROFIT
    -Snake Face = no loss/kept
    -FFM = SOLD for a £20.15 LOSS
    -Karatti = SOLD for a £5.72 LOSS
    -Octavia = no loss/kept

I plan on selling my NA He-man at cost (already have a buyer) and I'll put Clamp Champ on eBay which should hopefully give me a little profit. Castaspella and Mantenna are both definately ones I'm keeping. So any profit made on Clamp Champ might help offset the loss on the inevitable 200x and Geldor figures we will likely get in October and November. We are promised one more Filmation character in the main sub this year, which I'll most likely keep.

So I pretty much only have 2 figures to worry about taking a loss on for the remainder of the year (since I'll definately be keeping the Horde Troopers if they are the 2-pack, which is very likely)

So yep, the sub was the best way to go for me, though I was worried about the FFM when I signed up. However knowing I wouldn't be keeping King He-Man slightly helped me to take the plunge. If it were not for selling King He-Man, I would be down a lot still from the FFM and Karatti
    10 figures I still need: 10/Peekablue, 9/Sssqueeze, 8/Lizard Man, 7/Hunga the Harpy, 6/Gwildor, 5/Filmation Clawful, 4/Mermista, 3/Tung Lashor, 2/Dylamug, 1/Queen Angella.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Adam's Dad View Post
    Flash forward to today. I just sold Octavia for $15 on eBay after getting no bites here. I sold Karatti for $9.75 on eBay before her. I made several failed attempts to sell FFM before begrudgingly keeping them. Out of curiosity, I decided to see what the net gain/loss on the year is so far.

However, that number jumps up dramatically if you factor in the FFM, which I wasn't even able to sell at a 33% discount below retail.
    Sounds like you are either having a run of bad luck, or are doing something seriously wrong. My guess is that part of your problem is a lack of patience, you're trying to sell them as fast as possible, and listing them on eBay with a low starting price and letting the auction run. Instead, you might want to sit on them for a while until demand picks up a little on them. Either that, or maybe eBay is not the best place for you to be selling? You might be better off listing your figures on Amazon, Octavia goes for $35 min:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ywords=octavia

And Karatti $25:

http://www.amazon.com/Masters-The-Un...ywords=karatti

You end up paying about the same amount in fees as PayPal, and there's no risk to cost to list an item.

As far as the FFM go, I saw more than one seller on here having success splitting them up, and then selling them for $33 each shipped. That pretty much earns you back all your money, and the ones I saw were moving quick. This is how I picked up my Ditztroyer, as I didn't want either of the other two.
    Hey, if you want to wallow in the negative, go nuts. Sure, things aren’t absolutely perfect, and people passionate about a property can get all keyed up about things. But I don’t collect toys to be miserable. So I’d rather think about the things that do excite me
    http://thefwoosh.com/2014/06/masters...beyond-vintage

NA mini-sub Supporter ! Arkangel's Avatar
    motuc can be hard to sell, i struggled to sell a few misb for 20€, and i had them for sale for a looooooooooooong time.

but you sold karatti under 10 dollars? I would have paid double that amount, just let me know if you also want to get rid of NA heman

Some solid points, goluphi.

I probably could have been more patient. However, I sat on Karatti for the better part of two months, listing him here and on the Allspark multiple times. Heck, I even tried lumping him in with the FFM essentially for free, and still got no interest. I think Octavia was just a bit of bad luck. I had 17 watchers and had zero bids in the closing moments of the auction. I was really surprised at that. As for the FFM, I think I succumbed to all of the negative talk and gave up on trying to sell them. I may go ahead and sell the two I didn't customize individually. Maybe just Sherrilyn (my Palace Guard Recruit Duncan has kind of grown on me ).

As for the Amazon suggestion, I'll have to keep that in mind for any figures I'm not interested in for the rest of the year. Thanks for the advice!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallstar View Post
    In my opinion, it helps to have an ongoing (and friendly) presence in the Marketplace.
    Definitely. The marketplace here is a great place to strike a deal, especially if someone has a reputation there for helping folks out.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I feel like I have done pretty good. I have 2 subs, and the figures that I have not been able to sell I have been able to trade for characters I needed to "catchup". The downside is that I am just about caught up with all of the characters that I care to have so we will see how that goes. I didn't mess with selling my extra FFM (I used Shield Maiden for a custom) but hope to try and trade the other two. I also didn't mess with trying to sell my extra Karatti either, and will use him for a custom.

Otherwise I have not had an issue between trades and sales, and feel like I am coming out a bit ahead so far. The only figure to really surprise me this ear has been Snake Face. I listed him twice and he did not sell, and I had expected him to be more desired.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Heroic Warrior undeadplastic2711's Avatar
    Who is Plundor? Sorry
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I was, fortunately, able to get $33 for Karatti but I couldn't get rid of FFM for near the original price. They are still in their white mailer in storage (probably indefinitely). I was able to off set this by selling a few Strobos for a LOT of $ on eBay (sorry -- they paid for FFM, mostly).
    Netossa was not one I would've kept but she was okay so I just added her to the collection. I liked Fang Man so I kept him. Snake Face, same thing.
    Jitsu and Ram Man were must gets for me this year so I kept those. CC I will also keep. Not sure about the NA He Man.
    I have a feeling there might be a few more this year that will be difficult to get sold for our costs.

The only characters I consider to truly be a loss are variants like Thunderpunch He-man and Dragon Blaster Skeletor, not fun to get rid of.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar