Thread: She-Ra's impact on your childhood?

She-Ra's impact on your childhood?

I know this topic comes up repeatedly, however, with me taking a class on childhood in America, and having to do some kind of 30 minute presentation on something I know I figured He-Man and She-Ra would be a good subject I can focus on. So as the class is about childhood I am asking what impact She-Ra had on your childhood and has She-Ra impacted your life in regards to career and the like? This is about She-Ra specifically only as there is a thread for He-Man in the He-Man board. If you do not wish to post it publicly to the boards you are more than welcome to PM me privately. I thank you all for your replies and time.
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    I had no Princess of Power figures a kid, but my sister did. We had the whole universe. I can speak on behalf of how it affected my sister. She-Ra finally gave girls an action figure line. My sister was always into fantasy, and I do recall POP gave a reason for girls to not be so girly, while still being girly (doll enough, mothers didn't mind buying for their daughters). A lot of the She-Ra characters were positive role models of strong women that weren't the typical boring stereotypical female. My sister loathed Barbie, because she wasn't the kind of kid that idolized stereotypical female chattiness, shopping, and fashion. She-Ra allowed my sister to be herself while still having something unique to her gender. She-Ra gave tomboys a chance to be comfortable in their own skin.

The fantasy from Princess of Power appealed to my sister's artistic talent. She later became a graphic artist in her career (and is the one who made some cool She-Ra Sims a number of years ago). At one point, I recall googling "She-Ra", and one of her Sims came up as the third image on the search!

Personally, toys like Barbie didn't appeal to me as much as my She-ra toys. I was never that "girly" of a girl. I never wore dresses (still don't), never got into fashion, or any of that stuff. She-ra was strong and independent. She fought for what she believed in; what was right. That's what I took away from that. Growing up I didn't give in to a lot of things. I stood up for the little guy so to speak. I wasn't afraid to tell people off when they were teasing someone...unfortunately this happened often. Even when times got tough and I had to make difficult decisions I always did my best to do the right thing. I believe this all started from my childhood. Positive role models like She-ra helped to shape me into who I am today. I rarely make time for myself because I'm too busy taking care of others. I care more about the happiness of my friends and family than anything else. She-ra did the same. She always put her friends first, and maintained a good relationship with her family. I know that She-ra had a major impact on my life, and definitely affected who I became as an adult. She was very admirable in a fantastic way!

queen of ellipsis... LadyAngora's Avatar
    I am in much of the same boat as the other two... I grew up watching he-man and she-ra, but of course she-ra had the biggest impact on me... I never knew how much until my art advisor in college gave us an assignment to create a visual autobiography. We had to show what had influence us and our artwork from childhood on. As I delved into my childhood, I kept finding she-ra influences everywhere.

I learned much of my most basic drawing from watching the show and the coloring books. We had so many! My sister and I had nearly every figure in the line between the two of us. The cartoon provided a powerful, yet kind role model in a time when I needed it most. I still think girls today would benefit tremendously from a role model like filmation's she-ra.
    - LadyAngora

She-Ra ToyGuide
    --------------
    So, would you ever want to be a model?
    No way. I mean, I want to lose weight, but not all of it. -- Jessi

Snappy Threader
    Quote Originally Posted by LadyAngora View Post
    I am in much of the same boat as the other two... I grew up watching he-man and she-ra, but of course she-ra had the biggest impact on me... I never knew how much until my art advisor in college gave us an assignment to create a visual autobiography. We had to show what had influence us and our artwork from childhood on. As I delved into my childhood, I kept finding she-ra influences everywhere.

I learned much of my most basic drawing from watching the show and the coloring books. We had so many! My sister and I had nearly every figure in the line between the two of us. The cartoon provided a powerful, yet kind role model in a time when I needed it most. I still think girls today would benefit tremendously from a role model like filmation's she-ra.
    LadyAngora I couldn't agree more. A role-model like She-Ra would be a great benefit today when all the kids have to watch is lame poorly computer animated weird looking characters making adult themese references and fart noises. I watched both He-Man and She-Ra, only had a handful of the POP toys but yeah, I can see where cartoons with strong moral values such as She-Ra, He-Man and even G.I. Joe helped to shape a generation and that "shape" is missing in today's young people. I see it at work, now that I am getting older, and we are hiring the so-called "next generation". We have girls show up to an office environment with obviously no respect for themselves or others and you can tell in the way they dress, the way they act. We have one in particular, 20-something girl, who walks up and down the hallway making those same obscene noises. Drives me crazy it is so immature. I know the values have to come from many places, but She-Ra and He-Man did indeed instill some sense of manners in children of the 80's. Great thread.

Widget
    I was a huge fantasy fan as a kid, and I gravitated towards princesses who could save themselves, like Wonder Woman and Princess Leia. But She-Ra was different, because it was the first princess that I got to experience her creation, since Wonder Woman had been around for a few decades, and Star Wars came out the year before I was born. I loved all toys, both for girls and boys, and I played a lot of GI Joe, Transformers, and He-Man with my friends. I loved Masters of the Universe, especially Teela.

When She-Ra came along, I was engrossed in that universe. Here was an action figure line that was truly mine--all the swords and magic of He-Man, but with a girly twist. Princess of Power played into everything I loved as a child: unicorns, fantasy, space, monsters--all in a cartoon aimed at girls. Finally, I thought. Somebody in the toy world gets that I don't always want to play with dolls. I got all of my Princess of Power stuff for Christmas one year: Swift Wind, Crystal Castle, and all of the figures in the first wave except Bow and Kowl. That was the best Christmas ever, and that's saying something considering my childhood Christmases were a veritable who's who of '80s toys and pop culture.

As far as her impact on my childhood? She-Ra, like Wonder Woman and Leia before her, taught me that princesses don't have to be damsels in distress, that we can save the world. She-Ra is a symbol of overcoming things in your past and becoming the best that you can be.

In my adulthood, I've regretted getting rid of my Princess of Power stuff. I bought a collection a couple of weeks ago that brought me a long way in putting a complete PoP collection together. It included a Crystal Castle that was only missing one door, which I ordered and got in yesterday. Putting that last door on it almost brought a tear to my eye, as all of the memories of that Christmas morning came rushing back.
    Now is time for cake!
    Twitter: @geeky_vixen

I liked She-Ra's story because of the redemption angle. She started out on the wrong side and then had to work hard to redeem herself on the side of good by saving as many as she could.

What was She-Ra's impact on my childhood?

Massive.

Let's leave it at that

EDIT:

In my adulthood, I've regretted getting rid of my Princess of Power stuff. I bought a collection a couple of weeks ago that brought me a long way in putting a complete PoP collection together. It included a Crystal Castle that was only missing one door, which I ordered and got in yesterday. Putting that last door on it almost brought a tear to my eye, as all of the memories of that Christmas morning came rushing back.
    That's beautiful. It's reading stories like these that makes me so SO glad I found the He-Man.org community years ago. Some of you have been very very kind to me, and all of you seem to share in that love for the show that stems from seeing all the good in it. Good that many didn't see when I was loving it way back when.

I thought of Adora as the most beautiful female cartoon character ever. I have no doubt that i prefer blonde blue eyed gals because of Adora / She RA .

I thought of Secret of the Sword as the best cartoon movie ever for most of my childhood . My ideas of good vs evil were turned upside down . I never saw more then say 10 She Ra cartoons until much later in my life . Hordak is an ego maniac buffoon in the cartoons .

In Secret of the Sword Hordak is a very competent villain who handled HeMan like he was nothing . This shocked me to the core .
    Hordak also employed way more female champion types and he very much respected Shadow Weaver .
    Hordak pretty much owns Etheria ........ evil had won . Evil is gender equal . The horde girls kick butt .

Thats a mouthful to swallow for an 8 year old .
    Last edited by MOLKROM; July 7, 2014 at 08:38am.
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold

I got to see the horde animated.
    How do you like that, hero!

I over looked she-ra so much that i didn't knew it existed until about 10 years ago

Whenever I think of my favorite super heroine I always think back to her, bam! first choice, no contest.

And I am very much into super hero cartoons, not as much comics, but not for lack of interest. When I was a kid, we had a few available, but it was a long drive, kind of expensive (but back then, so very affordable, consider that it is ONE comic book, so it's more or less of a short story part of a serial whole). I treated every comic book I got a hold of when I was 8+ like a treasure, to be looked at constantly, to draw what they had a lot.

By the time I was in high school and then in college (I studied graphic design by the way, big mistake) I bought even more comics! still expensive (years 2002-2005), easier to reach (even though it was the very same book store), but still not exactly accessible (no car, so bus and feet, but I could do it alone, on my time). I preferred to buy wizard magazines, many more pages, lots of awesome to stuff to read, and look at! filled with inspiring art. On a few occasions even preview pages of a comic book, nice!.

Hey, I got into JLA, JSA, and Avengers before it was cool. My Hawkeye isn't some guy wearing yellow shades, he is this violet wearing, (I don't care if) silly looking guy.

When I was finishing my career (after 2007-2009) comic books were out of the question, the very same store sold them all beaten up, since the 90's they had sold them inside this small bags that were folded at the back, and taped outside to fit the size of the book; on the front, on the bag, not the book, there was a price tag that indicated how it cost in many countries of Latin America. At the time, the price tag was placed ON the comic book cover, no plastic bag, clearly people came in and read them, left them all in terrible conditions, at a price higher than it was ever before, not worth it. Big time pass.

Last decade, I bought the select comics I wanted online, I wasn't gonna find those here; in 2004 several TMNT books (vol. 1 and 4) and in 2007 The Amazing Spider-Man books from the 80's and 90's, The Amazing Spider-Girl (the little comic that could, so it was called at some point) and Peter Parker Spider-Man, a certain arc about Ben Reilly that was very important.

So saying that She-Ra is my favorite super heroine isn't just a little something, coomic books influenced the way I draw heavily. Every time there was a presentation or a class, and I got to chose theme, I would got with something comic book or cartoon related. I once did did bottle themed on Star Wars (not comic book but similar audience) for a packaging design class, this when episode III was out in theaters; I had it carved on wood, made a special tag for it, and showed it for the final presentation. Got me a lot of praise from everybody, specially the teachers.

Oh god, tl;dr, every time!. I gotta stop digressing. Ok, on topic! so more about She-Ra, in 2007, when I got back into MOTU, the first two DVD sets that I bought were the Christmas special, and Best of She-ra. All of it has He-Man characters somewhere, although it was more She-Ra centric. I followed up with MYP when it came out (sometime in 2008 I think). In 2009 things got a bit rough economically, so I couldn't just buy stuff online easily. At some point, later in time, the whole MYP was available in this cheap set, no extras, for I think it was for 5$ or 10$, buy it with something else (camera accessories that I needed) and free shipping! (to my Mail Boxes Etc. P. O. Box Address in USA, I paid for it here based on weight (all of it light) a lot faster and safer than post office of Venezuela) super sold! no doubts, no regrets.
    When it comes to She-ra Princess of Power characters, FILMATION is the way to go!.

Oh yes She Ra influenced me into reading Wonder Woman comics .
    Last edited by MOLKROM; July 7, 2014 at 08:44am.
    MOTU and POP transformed my childhood years to gold