Page 5 of 150 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Sub Thermometer Updates - Last update: 91% as of 8/19 7:17pm PT

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Veronica Mars View Post
    Not this soon after, the con only ended 2 days ago, lot of people are probably still getting home and recouping.
    And since they blew all their money there, waiting on payday
    MOTUC Wishlist Dylamug, Songster, Evil Robot, Tuvar and Badra, Game Master, Grayskull Robot, Lizard Man, Karg, Prahvus, Skelcon(s), the new villains from He-Ro/Dare

Quote Originally Posted by Is-rael View Post
    I think He-Man is going to be uncomfortable soon.
    I think you are right! lol.

Quote Originally Posted by bcrduke View Post
    They need to reveal the sub exclusive proto. They should also reveal the second quarterly item.
    I agree 100%
    Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    I want an officially licensed He-Man thermometer. I'm sick of these computer images ones. Also make sure it comes in Celsius as well as Fahrenheit for our international friends.
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Looks like we're around 1/3 of the way there by the looks of it. I don't think that's necessarily a bad spot for now..

Well, there's a difference between the thermometer as a marketing tool (something every church does when it has a building project), and the thermometer is a sham that's made up from thin air, y'know?

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    So long as the thermometer isn't actually tied to each individual sub purchase (which would be absurd), it's a sham in general.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Well, there's a difference between the thermometer as a marketing tool (something every church does when it has a building project), and the thermometer is a sham that's made up from thin air, y'know?
    Say they had enough subs right now. Do you really think it would be all the way to the top? It's not like kick starter where you see each dollar come in.
    "Problems Weaver?"
    Posted from iOS app

I think another question to ask is... IF the subs don't go through, how many people would cancel their Castle Grayskull order? I'm an all-in sub guy, I buy every release. But for my personal tastes, about half of my favorite figures have yet to come out, and I'd consider them A-List for what's remaining. IF the sub doesn't go through, my collection will feel incomplete, so why bother keeping any of it? I'd cancel Castle Grayskull in a hot minute. I wonder if any others feel the same.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

I'm just talking about the silly thermometer thing. I think the sub will go through and we will get some great new figures. I really wasn't trying to make this negative I just think the meter is marketing 101. That said the whole Big Lots thing is a bit crazy and unexpected.
    "Problems Weaver?"
    Posted from iOS app

Say they had enough subs right now. Do you really think it would be all the way to the top? It's not like kick starter where you see each dollar come in.
    There is NO way. If they sold enough subs at SDCC and reflected it in the meter with time still left on the clock, most people who were on the fence would just feel they didn't need to sub. You'll see that meter get up to 1/2 or 3/4 of the way and then once the subscription sale ends it will have miraculously jumped to the top - just like last time.

IMHO Mattel wants you to believe that the subs are the only way to sell these toys, but that's not actually the case. Last year, maybe, because they were making a ton of figures and not selling them and then costs went up. Now they make less quantities, charge more for the figs and have a good idea of what to make by the subscription numbers. They have no problem holding back figs DOS to convince people to sub, even though they are now sitting on that stock in a warehouse and paying fees on it until what - an end of the year sale?

Obviously, I don't have hard facts to back that up, but if I were a company and I was trying to sell figs, I'd do the SAME thing.

In our litigious society there is no way Mattel would intentionally risk misreporting the subscription numbers on an inconsequential product line.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    In our litigious society there is no way Mattel would intentionally risk misreporting the subscription numbers on an inconsequential product line.
    Without them publishing the numbers how would anyone even know they were being untruthful? Its just a shape of He-Man with flames filling up.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    Without them publishing the numbers how would anyone even know they were being untruthful? Its just a shape of He-Man with flames filling up.
    Do you honestly think Mattel's legal department is going to sign off on that type of tactic for what amounts to mere pocket change for Mattel?

From placing the image on a grid it looks like subscription sales are at about 30 percent.

Traveler
    i dont know... i love what the 4 Horsemen have done with their kickstarter campaign. and matty seems to be following suit with the DC stuff... i think it would be great if we got some rewards for different tiers, and then rather than being a scare tactic, it would be more of a reward mentality (and wed probably all feel like the gauge was a little more legit)

all that said, as a two sub kinda guy, ive ordered my two subs. i assume other subscribers will continue. heck to me the 2013 reveals dont even come close to the reveals for 2014 (granted ram man was probably more a list for a greater group than two bad is for me as a personal favorite). so if everyone does what they have done, well be golden. hopefully the castle means a few new subscribers.

bring on frantic episodes of roast gooble with special guest scott!!! i love the info he shares during the podcasts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hosed Ovor View Post
    Do you honestly think Mattel's legal department is going to sign off on that type of tactic for what amounts to mere pocket change for Mattel?

From placing the image on a grid it looks like subscription sales are at about 30 percent.

Why wouldn't the amount of subscriptions needed to sell be listed at the top of the meter? Most anyone places the "Goal" at the top...its not left ambiguous. You really think Mattel's legal team is overly concerned about a lawsuit coming from a small collector line fan-base? There is no way for us to know if they're being honest or not and even IF a few fans had the balls or the patience/money to litigate - it'd be settled so quick by Mattel for pennies. This isn't Hot Wheels or Barbie - not even close.

The reason you don't see the numbers is BECAUSE of their legal department.

Well without knowing what dollar amount needs to be achieved its hard to take any measuring system seriously other then a cool marketing tool. For me there is no illuminati controlling things behind the scenes it's just simple marketing to sell a product.
    Oh don't worry, the illuminati is going to be in on MOTUC till the last Snakeman gets made!

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan View Post
    I think the reveals were good enough. Actually, not just good enough, they were pretty awesome. They made me subscribe and I didn't subscribe in 2013.

However, bcrduke has a point - we do need some more info on the exclusive figure. People are now speculating, saying that Unnamed One might be Gorpo etc. Too much mystery can be a double edged sword.
    Yeah, a sub exclusive should be a lure and a question mark isn't going to lure people. Good thing SDCC was chock full of A-Listers.
    Your support means more research for the Myostatin-challenged.

I think He-Man is going to be uncomfortable soon.
    Like, need to see a Doctor uncomfortable soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Canada View Post
    You and I are usually on the same wavelength but in this case I just don't think the meter means anything. I personally do not see any reason to even put it out there other than to create a little panic. Why not just have the sub drive and when it is all over just say whether they met their goal.
    It's hard for me to believe last year went from so close, to bam well over the top within a few days....resellers or not....they usually don't wait forever to buy.

Quote Originally Posted by OnlyOneSkeletor View Post
    Funny how people can quickly forget about good things when they're at last coming & knocking at their doors...
    So according to your words, SDCC reveals were anything but good?
    So Mattel should start showing what's really incentive from this moment on?..Wow !
    How do you read that into what he said? I mean seriously....you inferred all that from one single non negative sentence?

....Duke usually has info about reveals and releases....he's happy for all that's coming....For all we know Duke knows what the figure really is, as well as the second quarterly....

He probably knows that revealing that info would likely cause a jump in sales....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    They have no problem holding back figs DOS to convince people to sub, even though they are now sitting on that stock in a warehouse and paying fees on it until what - an end of the year sale?
    And they are taking that stock and putting them up on Ebay and selling them for $45.00-$50.00 each. Why only sell them for $25.00 when you can make 75% more than that.

See, I can make stuff up too....

Can anybody give me hard proof that the thermometer is a ruse, the subs are never in danger (they will go through no matter how many or how few sub), and it's all a cojnspiracy on Mattel's part? Because I hear the accusation, and the burden of proof is on the accusers... but where's the proof?

Also, if anybody says, "I don't need proof," or "Just look at it" as proof, then they lose the entire debate forever and ever. Please offer actual proof. Maybe something from the company, like a leak or statements from former employees, or business memos or hard financial data or something to prove that it's all fake.
    I don't think anyone is saying they KNOW one way or another, there's just a lot of suspicion.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    I want an officially licensed He-Man thermometer. I'm sick of these computer images ones. Also make sure it comes in Celsius as well as Fahrenheit for our international friends.
    I'd actually buy that! LOL

And they are taking that stock and putting them up on Ebay and selling them for $45.00-$50.00 each. Why only sell them for $25.00 when you can make 75% more than that.

See, I can make stuff up too....

I'm pretty sure I mentioned I had no hard facts and that this was opinion. I'm also pretty sure it has been mentioned they do pay for space at DR's warehouse.

I just don't think the meter or subscription demand is as do or die as it is portrayed.

The REAL Mo-Larr yodafreakmaster's Avatar
    Ottumwa Iowa - The Video Game Capital of the World
    I personally like the idea of folks that fork up BIG bucks on subs getting extra perks, beyond cheaper shipping based on quantity. I think folks that spend over 10K on MOTUC's figures should get a "Spirit of Grayskull" or something along those lines for their financial commitment to the line!!!! Just my humble opinion as someone who has bought a crapload of subs in 2013

Actually, the membership fee is tied up until April when the sub exclusive comes out. We still get charged for the January figure.

I am far (like waaaaaaaaaay far) from a conspiracy theorist but even I have to admit the thermometer is BS. It has never once been shown going over the goal with any time to spare, even a single day. And as other people have said, why would they?
    That is true, yes... The $25 is technically for the exclusive figure that will ship sometime in Q1 (historically, 2010 Apr, 2011 Feb, 2012 Feb, 2013 Mar) and we will get charged again in January for any items that ship in that month.

For re-sellers though, January is the first month that they can begin to get any return for their investment from the gains they make on the sale of Two-Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by yodafreakmaster View Post
    I personally like the idea of folks that fork up BIG bucks on subs getting extra perks, beyond cheaper shipping based on quantity. I think folks that spend over 10K on MOTUC's figures should get a "Spirit of Grayskull" or something along those lines for their financial commitment to the line!!!! Just my humble opinion as someone who has bought a crapload of subs in 2013
    This would certainly be a great incentive for the re-sellers to further join the line. Similar to how trading card companies give extra incentives for multi-case purchases.
    Last edited by Kowl; July 24, 2013 at 12:10am.
    Kowl, the know it owl!
    Feedback Thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ad.php?t=71871
    MOTUC MOC Want List: SDCC 2008 King Grayskull
    Vintage POP MOC Want List: Bubble Power She-Ra, Loo Kee, Spinnerella

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    I know the thermometer isn't accurate and a clear indication of how the sub is doing, however we shouldn't be overconfident that the line is definitely going to go through. From what I've seen, even more people are cutting back this year.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

Quote Originally Posted by Orko's Magic Hat View Post
    I know the thermometer isn't accurate and a clear indication of how the sub is doing, however we shouldn't be overconfident that the line is definitely going to go through. From what I've seen, even more people are cutting back this year.

I agree, overconfidence seems a lil "too high" at the moment that the sub will go thru.

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Can anybody give me hard proof that the thermometer is a ruse, the subs are never in danger (they will go through no matter how many or how few sub), and it's all a cojnspiracy on Mattel's part? Because I hear the accusation, and the burden of proof is on the accusers... but where's the proof?

Also, if anybody says, "I don't need proof," or "Just look at it" as proof, then they lose the entire debate forever and ever. Please offer actual proof. Maybe something from the company, like a leak or statements from former employees, or business memos or hard financial data or something to prove that it's all fake.
    Sure, it's speculation. But in your heart of hearts, do you really think they sold 45% of the target number of subs in the last day? Even if resellers waited until the last day, that is a disproportionate amount of sales. And that does a couple of things: it makes people skeptical of the legitimacy of the thermometer; and it makes them comfortable in assuming there will be a similar push again this year. Neither are good.

TG has said from the beginning that it is his job to sell subs. If the thermometer is full early, he won't sell as many subs. And that's a fact.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats