Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Masters of the Universe: Tribal Clash (alternate universe, redesigns etc...)

Masters of the Universe: Tribal Clash (alternate universe, redesigns etc...)

Hello everyone!
    Friends on deviantART and Tumblr suggested me to share my work here as well... Of course I'm really glad to do it so here it is!

This is something I've been working on since the past couple of months, the very first elaboration of an idea I had quite a long time ago.
    I've spent my entire childhood playing MotU with my brother and friends and one of the brightest memories I still keep about them are those fantastic mini-comics illustrated by Alfredo Alcala: savage He-Man, the brutal villains, that barbarian feel... So awesome.
    I started from there, basically, and tried to imagine this alternate - vaguely gritty/iron age - universe where heroes and evil forces act as clans and fight against each other for anything else than survival or supremacy.

It's still a work in progress - what you see below are just the first concept sketches I did so far - and it's meant to be used for some board game/miniature-based RPG, as in Warhammer 40K/Warmachine kind of thing.

This is the logo, still early and using stock fonts, but it gives the idea:

TC photo Logo_zps90e34262.png

Let's move to the first batch of Heoric Warriors (first the picture, then a brief description):

H&T photo 01He-ManTeela_zps13054663.png

He-Man: I went back to the barbarian look, plus I made him a bit chunkier just to highlight his imperfect nature. I still have no idea about his character (is he a hero? A warrior?) but I gave him the classic weaponry minus the battle axe: this is why I wanted each MotU to be totally unique, so I decided to save the axe for Ram-Man.
    Teela: quite the usual rough amazon model here. I tried to achieve the classic 'Teela' look yet not giving her the pretty appearance you would expect: instead of that she's got a ripped body and weird aggressive face. Not a princess by any means.

M&S photo 02Man-At-ArmsStratos_zps6e1f219e.png

Man-At-Arms: that was fun. My main goal was to bring his look as close as I could to the classic character but completely changing his attire: there is no armour anymore (replaced by leather and fur) and no technology at all, just his warlike self.
    Stratos: aside from his less human/more 'creature-like' figure, the big deal here is that I thought of him as a bird, basically. He doesn't talk, his movements when he's on the ground are quite hectic and in general you can't really call him a hero: in the first minicomic he was portrayed with Skeletor and the bad guys, so I thought to recover a hint of that ambiguity.

O&R photo 03OrkoRam-Man_zpsea8fca26.png

Orko: this was a challenge. As a character almost entirely developed by Filmation, I had to change him quite dramatically, in order for him to fit my scenario: since there are monsters and fantasy creatures in there but no magic, I had to find out how to replace his main feature... He's now a maimed fortune teller who just annoys everyone he stumbles into (not that different from he's always used to be, lol).
    Ram-Man: as well as Orko, his character was pretty much comical in Filmation's cartoon... Short, not that smart, jumping on his legs like a spring: quite the opposite of how he seemed to look like as a toy.
    So, yeah, I changed his persona alot, imagining him to be a proper human ram, a giant, enchained berserker set free by his tribe only in extreme circumstances.

Z&M photo 04ZodakMan-E-Faces_zps5dbd0535.png

Zodak: similarly to Stratos, I like his double-sided nature and I'll probably draw him again along with the Evil Warriors. According to his classic role of intergalactic guardian, I thought of him as an alien, hence the proportions and the more futuristic outfit and weapon.
    Man-E-Faces: another technological character that I picked up just because I wanted to try and change him so he could fit the new setting. My Man-E-Faces is a dwarf-sized gladiator (no laser gun, but I put some bits of its original design and colours on the spear) who wears a mask and carries other two of them on his shoulders, occasionally swapping them.

A&A photo 05AdoraAdam_zps1a2b1494.png

Adora and Adam: I love their original concepts so I wanted to keep them both in this universe, giving them a stand-alone identity and independent storylines; they aren't anymore She-Ra's and He-Man's alter-egos, just regular twin kids... Who dress nicely just because of their noble lineage (I didn't think of Randor and Marlena yet, but I guess they'll still be a king and a queen).
    Yeah, the pose is clearly a joke.

F&M photo 06FistoMoss-Man_zpsf5b05f70.png

Fisto: one of my favourite characters in the MotU series, but really tricky to re-imagine.
    He had this 'mature', conventional, kind of old fashioned hero appearance on one hand... And a giant, metallic powerglove on the other.
    So, my idea was to keep and reinforce his classic clean look, swapping the unpractical accessory with something more useful: he now carries an iron chain all around his fist, along with his sword.
    Moss-Man: that was an easy one. For some reason, I always thought of him as a wilder creature than the humanoid bush depicted by Filmation and that's why I gave him this new raw shape, also inspired by classic movie monsters and fantasy mythology.
    He's kinda scary now, and I like it!

M&T photo 07Meka-NeckTytus_zpsdac496ca.png

Meka-Neck: that was another hard one. Just like Man-At-Arms, I had to take all his 'hi-tech' features out of the new character and I realised there was little to nothing left. So I decided to start working from his original role of sentinel and I ended up in changing him into a proper oracle: physically blind but spiritually enlightened, Meka-Neck watches over some holy shrine or temple without rest.
    Tytus: well... I'm italian, I had to draw Tytus.
    Nothing too different from the source, here: I just wanted to highlight his massive size, to even increase the sense of weight and to stick to his classic 'gentle giant' look. I had fun in designing his face, tho, trying to give it a calm, yet kind of serious and mature vibe.

B&S photo 08Buzz-OffSorceress_zps51a12905.png

Buzz-Off: as well as Stratos, I tried to give his beast-self more importance, instead of the human one.
    I wanted the new character to look like an insect, basically, imagining him swarming around with dozens of similar companions (hence the lack of any proper weapon).
    Sorceress: I know alot of hardcore MotU fans will hate this idea but hey. I never really liked Filmation's Sorceress, even less her Zoar form: on the contrary - despite the fact she wasn't even a proper character - I always loved Green Goddess' design, so I thought to merge them both in one 'new' Sorceress. She's half priestess, half witch, messing around with poisons and snakes: due to infected blood, I kept the greenish skintone and gave her white hair.

That's the first batch of Heroic Warrios: hope you enjoy it and sorry for the mammoth wall of text, just wanted to give you some detailed information, in order to fuel the conversation, sharing suggestions etc.
    Of course, feel free to critique and comment!

If you want to have a look at them all lined-up and at the proper resolution, you can follow this link and see the original, unedited (sorry again to the mods for all the Sorceress troubles) picture on deviantART: http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...co-d5z41v5.jpg
    Last edited by Galdelico; July 16, 2013 at 11:32am.

Deimos-remus from DA here!

These are awesome man, love your stylized musculature!

Impressive!

I like your clear lines and what you manage to show with out much detailing! Shows you really know your craft!

I like the tribal more serious approach, as much as i like FILMATION itīs to childish for my taste sometimes.

A chunky He-Man, interesting…

Orkos new appearance is really cool.

Tytus, very awesome!

Letīs see what else you got for us
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Really cool stuff! I especially like how Moss Man and Stratos turned out. Very feral. I like Mekaneck's neck stretching rings as well. Not sure how I feel about He-Man. He looks a bit like fat Johnny Bravo
    By the ancients!!!

Lich Leech feedback thread

Guys, thank you for the kind welcome, I truly appreciate your feedbacks.

Nathan, it's great to find you here as well!
    Lich: haha, never looked at him like that but now I can't unsee it.
    Niki: I have the first row pf Evil Warriors ready, which I'll post tomorrow, I guess. Thank you so much.
    Last edited by Galdelico; July 11, 2013 at 05:43pm.

awesome stuff !

Impressive artwork and I really like the redesigns and reading the logic behind your choices.

Really interesting so far! It's funny how you take away Mekaneck's powers and you get barely anything - which makes it funnier that he's one of my favorites here! I dunno what it is; I love his posture and serious look. Buzz-Off also took me by surprise! He may be the one I'd want a toy of the most.

Very cool idea! Lookin' forward to the bad guys.
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

These designs and the narrative are incredible. I love all of the background that you gave them to show why you chose them the way you did. I really like your takes on Orko, Stratos, & Buzz-Off, and I love the Twins. I saw an artist who did a "Mayan" take on MOTU once, which this reminds me slightly of, but you took it to a much more primitive and dynamic level with many more characters! This is pure eye candy and we hope you keep posting your amazing works, as it's a real treat for all of us here, you have made some new fans of your craft today!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Heroic Warrior
    These are nice. I like the look. I like the design of them

stratos and zodak are my favorites.

Thank you guys, for taking time to come here and leave a comment. I really appreciate it.

Antoine, you already know how badly I love your artwork. Thanks!
    Matthew, I checked out your photographic-novels and they are absolutely AWESOME. Such a clever idea and a clean, perfect rendering.
    Alexx, thank you. More than a toyline, I imagined this whole thing as miniature-based... I went proper crazy with shapes and proportions (that was the funny part! ) but I think they could still be manageable on a smaller - figurine - scale.
    J, let me just say thank you once again.
    And Midor, thanks so much to you too.

Time for some bad guy, buddies.

T&M photo 09TwoBadMer-Man_zps6450b636.png

Two Bad: this was a fun one, which I made thinking about the original Total Recall. Instead of the classic two halves put together, I went for the 'weird abomination' look and came up with this trollish berserker who - for some reason - is all messed up with a female demon.
    Mer-Man: quite tricky. I mean, he's already a monster - really close to the Thing from the Black Lagoon as well - so, this idea came out of my mind quite naturally He became a 'she' (kinda, hey) in the guise of an evil siren creeping beneath Eternia's oceans.

B&W photo 10BeastManWebstor_zps75932de0.png

Beast Man: he's one of my favourite villains and I loved the toy so much when I was a kid. In general, I find re-imagining the Evil Warriors easier than the good guys, mainly because I can approach most of them in the same way, which is to try and reveal their beasty/monster self as much as possible. As an aside, I should have written 'Beast Men', since I don't imagine him acting as a single creature, but more like a band of giant, wild gorillas.
    Webstor: not that much to say about Webs. Just wanted to render him way more spider-lookalike than he is in his original form, so here it is.

W&S photo 11WhiplashStinkor_zps34ea888b.png

Whiplash: although it's not original at all as a redesign, I had a blast with it. I love dinosaurs and dragons so I intentionally picked him up so I could sit down and draw some bizarre and threatening reptilian-monster.
    Stinkor: if you think about it, his original design is both stupid and awesome. I mean, a human skunk with a shield and a laser-gun. Seriously. XD
    Probably I'm once again not that fresh or innovative here, but nonetheless I tried to find a meaningful way to keep his peculiar feature in... ZOMBIES! He's now a rotting undead warrior, roaming through Eternia's wastelands.

J&S photo 12JitsuScareglow_zpsa4cecd8f.png

Jitsu: I never really considered him as an 'evil' MotU. I mean, I knew he was but I always thought of Jitsu more like Fisto's kung-fu rival than as a bloody assassin. I felt like I wanted to keep this side of his character (which I realise I completely made up when I was a kid but... Nevermind!), so here's my personal take on him.
    Scareglow: I remember this MotU being one of the many newer characters I didn't really get/appreciate. They were weird, so colorful and a bit too silly... Maybe it was just me growing up, who knows.
    That said, looking back at them later, I found out alot of very interesting and inspiring concepts! Scareglow, for example, now a spooky creature - something like a less supernatural Grim Reaper - wandering around Eternia's battlefields in search of spoils and treasures.

C&F photo 13ClawfulFaker_zps806cea87.png

Clawful: once again, I had fun here, recreating the character from its very name. I wanted him to be really nasty but still marine-looking and this is what I came up with.
    Faker: since I couldn't keep the original, cybernetic route (due to the lack of hi-tech on my Tribal Clash setting), I went for something less original but still effective in my opinion. I thought of Faker as a poisoned/gone-nuts He-Man, being in general a very bad boy.

F&T photo 14FangManTri-Klops_zpsa7b6a6a2.png

Fang Man and Tri-Klops: just like Jitsu, Tri-Klops never really seemed that evil to me. Actually, I find his charadesign quite classy and that sword always made me think of a noble swordsman more than anything else. That's why I changed him into a royal guard (of some evil tribe/kingdom, of course) holding Fang Man - speaking of silly MotUs that used to crack me up! - as his secondary weapon.

E&S photo 15Evil-LynSkeletor_zps72e8a311.png

Evil-Lyn, Panthor and Skeletor: finally, it's skullface time! And despite the fact he's the last one, his concept was one of the earliest I came up with.
    Basically, I started from this question: how can you re-imagine THE arch-enemy - this whole idea of a one and only 'boss of the villains', a superior entity who all the bad guys (humans, humanoids or monsters) look at their sole master - especially in this scenario where all these creatures aren't really each others' friends and don't act like a proper army? Also, I never liked the fact he always had his ass handed in the cartoon, which made him look like a complete sissy. XD
    On one hand I wanted to keep his role of supreme guide but I needed to get rid of that 'whoever enemy loses a battle = puny Skeletor flees' kind of scenario.
    So I came up with this idea of turning him into something less material than he's used to be... Not a physical being anymore, Skeletor is now an evil cult, spread all over Eternia in form of creepy temples (Snake Mountain maybe?) and altars (as the one above, guarded by Panthor). In its name, evil priestesses like Evil-Lyn perform bloody rituals to gather as many vicious beings as they can, to employ them as their loyal minions.

And that's it! First batch is done.
    I know I left out important primary characters (Trap Jaw!) but I plan to redesign every single classic MotU, including the snakemen, She-Ra & co. and the Evil Horde, plus (taking advantage of the amazing resources I found here) some obscure/unused character who never had the chance to be featured on the cartoons or as toys. So it's a long way.

As well as with the Heroic Warriors, you can have a look at the full line-up here (please note that the original, unedited picture is slightly NSFW) on my deviantART: http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...co-d6bgq5p.jpg

Hope you enjoy, guys! ^_-
    Last edited by Galdelico; July 12, 2013 at 08:32pm.

…woah…

Now these guys are…well…gruesome.

I do like them-sort of.

Ladyfish Merman is an amazing picture in it self.

Webstor looks icky and i mean that, iīm not to fond of spiders.

Stinkor and Scareglow are very creative and make totally sense.

And Fangman is awesome and hilarious at the same time.

Skeletor and Panthor are seriously dangerous!!!!

Only Evil Lyn looks out of place and very small…literally but also her appearance or the way you drew her. She looks as if she would bow to Skeletor and does not look wicked or dangerous enough compared to all that "monsters".

Impressive work you did there all in all!
    Last edited by Niki; July 12, 2013 at 12:07pm.
    *Peekablue *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Queen Veena *Calix *Hawke *Pebblass(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Heroic Warrior
    These are very jolly - and a lot of fun; though your He-Man's chief character flaw would appear to be a pronounced over-fondness for doughnuts.......!

And I do like your simian stance for Stratos.

Niki, thank you once again buddy.
    You're right about Evil-Lyn... I mean, I can see my concept being quite dull and weak and yours ain't definitely the first critique it received. I'll think about it a bit more.
    As for the other Evil Warriors, yeah, that's what I aimed to: keeping them relatively faithful their original design but boosting up the gruesome appearance. I like your word 'dangerous'... That's exactly how I wanted them to look.

Scriptor, thank you too mate.
    I reckon my chubby He-Man could be kinda offensive for some fans. Sorry for that.
    Last edited by Galdelico; July 12, 2013 at 07:01pm.

I'm finding I like the narratives as much as the illustrations! Gritty, gruesome, ferocious, and complete, you are bringing a mighty new entry to the MOTU fan art concepts! I mean that Skeletor idea is amazing! Design wise I really love Whiplash and Stinkor, so much creative energy you have my friend, and with what's to come, you have an amazing project on your hands that many (including myself) can not wait for the next band of heroes and villains to arrive. Welcome aboard! This has been a true highlight in 2013 MOTU Fanart!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 8.31.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

Thank you J, your kindness and support are awesome.

This is a horrifying world you've created, and I mean that in the best way possible! Out of the bad guys I think I like Webstor and Tri-Klops the most. Skeletor is REALLY interesting, though of course I would love it if there was some way to manifest a being that is Skeletor as well; perhaps not exactly the same thing that the bad guys worship (and maybe not even something that would keep them alive if it DID come into being) but that's just my personal preference. I have to say that it is impressive that you managed to make a simple idea of a villain so terrifying without actually having him present. Well done!
    "Since you got here by not thinking, it seems reasonable to expect that, in order to get out, you must start thinking." ~ Tock, the Watchdog

Alexx has a blog?! Come on in and check out Toys and Tomfoolery! You won't regret it...until the next morning.

Love these - really a great take on these characters. I'd love to see what they'd do in the world you've described.

Very impressive! I'm really enjoying the art and concepts. Definitely a fantastic take on MOTU (I love the logo too )
    "A computer once beat me at chess, but it was no match for me at kick boxing."

My DeviantART

Heroic Eternian Mechanic TechTrek's Avatar
    i really like what you have created here. such a wonderful twisted look into a already well established world. and i mean that with respect. not often can a property be taken and completely not just redesigned, but re-imagined. well done sir!!

Guys, I really want to say thanks again to all of you.
    Your support is truly wonderful, I didn't expect such a kind welcoming and I can't convey how inspiring and motivational are your words.

This is something I'm doing for fun, but at the same time - even if I genuinely enjoy every moment I spend on this project - I try my best and put a serious effort in it. That's why each comment, positive feedback and critique means ALOT to me.

Thank you Alexx, Salamandra, Sllohcin and TechTrek.
    I hope I can keep you all interested in the future.

This is a cool take on MotU; I always enjoy seeing re-interpretations of these classic characters, especially one that seems as fresh as this one does.

Personally, I love the fusion of magic and technology with that old-school barbarian feel, but it's interesting to see what's left with those factors stripped out. I like it.

Thank you guys once again, here we go with the second row!

It begins with a little series I got the idea for when I did Adora and Adam a while ago. Basically, if you remember, I decided to portray them as simple twins, still children of Randor and Marlena but not anymore She-Ra's and He-Man's alter-egos. Also, I gave them more elaborate outfits (compared to most MotUs) in order to keep their noble lineage's feature somehow intact... I liked this idea of having all the tribes and monsters playing the main role, with a proper kingdom, a royal family and its army rolling on the background.
    So, with this premise:

R&M photo 16RandorMarlena_zps87562a8e.png

King Randor and Queen Marlena: parents of Adora and Adam, rulers of one of the few kindoms in Eternia (you will soon find out a few others... ), they aren't much more than what they look like. I had quite a hard time with them because on one hand I wanted them to appear quite 'unbalanced' (as it happens in Games of Thrones, for example, with old/ugly kings opposed to young/beautiful queens), but on the other one I didn't want to overdo, making Randor too old and Marlena too young. So I stopped half way through, I guess, as soon as I felt satisfied of the result.

The idea of having a kingdom immediately suggested me to try and think about a proper 'royal army' as well.
    One thing that I love about this Tribal Clash project is - at the same time - its biggest challenge. I imagined this scenario and I gave myself a few limits to work within, right from the get go, so it's genuinely exciting to try and fit each MotU into them with a meaning, not just for the sake of it. It makes every single re-design a unique task and a crative process which is often inspiring for the next one.
    There are so many MotUs that would seem out of place in my alternate universe and they are usually the ones I have the most fun in recreating. For example:

H&E&S photo 17He-RoExtendarSirLaser-Lot_zps05361851.png

He-Ro, Extendar and Sir Laser-Lot: they couldn't fit less into my Tribal Clash plot - they originally come from different times, they feature hi-tech gadgets and almost super-powers - still they all looked so intriguing. It was actually quite an easy choice for me to decide how to use them, so I thrown them all together as the three generals of Randor's army. He-Ro is the leader of the royal guards, Extendar is infantry's gigantic head and Sir Laser-Lot guides the cavalry.
    Also, the fact they lead different units gave me the opportunity to vary their armours and keep their unique look reasonably faithful to the original.

That's all for now, I'm filling a couple of holes from the first row and sketching the Evil Horde, so I hope you'll stay tuned.

As usual, if you want to have a look at the whole gallery, please head up here http://g-for-galdelico.deviantart.com/gallery/42653044 (please note that some pics are unedited and slightly nsfw, there).

Comments, critiques and suggestions are totally welcome. See you! ^_-
    Last edited by Galdelico; November 19, 2013 at 06:34am.