Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Masters of the Universe: Tribal Clash (alternate universe, redesigns etc...)

Orko has been a fun challenge.

As a character almost entirely developed by Filmation, I had to change him quite drastically, in order for the new Orko to fit into my scenario. Since I allowed myself to draw monsters and fantasy creatures but without magic extravaganza, I needed to find out how to replace his main feature (which was to pretend to be a great wizard, only failing 99% of his spells!) yet keeping him legit and recognizeable... So, Orko is now a maimed fortune teller who annoys the hell out everyone he stumbles into.
    Not that different from how he's always been, after all. XD

Hope everyone likes!
    Last edited by Galdelico; February 12, 2015 at 05:37am.

Very cool take on Orko!
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.08.15!!

MOTUC RECORD

MOTU ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 5 (2015)!!

Jafaristew...the guy that coined the term "200X."

Awesome!!!

Thank you guys, I totally appreciate your comments!

Now, time for something new. I suspect alot of hardcore MotU fans will hate this idea, but hey. XD

I've never been a huge fan of Filmation's Sorceress, in spite of the fact she was one of the most iconic characters in the whole cartoon series. On the contrary, I LOVED Alcala's original design, especially that panel where she gives He-Man all the fancy gadgets to defend Castle Grayskull. I started from there, actually, even though the result couldn't look more different from the source.
    My Sorceress is half priestess, half witch, messing around unremittingly with venom and poisons: due to infected blood, I could keep the greenish skintone and give her white hair, while the weapons at her feet represent my personal homage to Alcala's illustration (they could be items that have been traded off for love/healing potions). The falcon crest is a joke reference to Sorceress' Zoar form. :P

As a final note... I fully used my own style for this figure, which means body shape and proportions are alot more wtf, compared to the previous entries. Let me know what you think about it!
    Last edited by Galdelico; February 28, 2015 at 08:36am.

Beautiful version! great G!

Easily one of my favorites of this entire series.

MOTUC RECORD

Quote Originally Posted by Granamir View Post
    Beautiful version! great G!
    Thanks pal, always kind!

Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    Easily one of my favorites of this entire series.
    Big thank you, J!
    That's quite a surprise for me, since I wasn't very confident about using this particular style... But yeah, judging from the feedback I'm getting (especially from my deviantArt fellows), turns out Sorceress is the most liked entry so far, which opens up to interesting possibilities for the next ones.

Since i associate white short hair in the MOTU universe with Evil Lyn iīm not the biggest fan of her hair(style and color) but thatīs my only nitpick.

The picture and her posture are great
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Hey Niki, thank you!

I thought about the hairstyle quite alot. I wanted something that would resemble the original headgear, but I didn't feel to give her a proper helmet, hence why I opted for a simple bob. That said, I can totally see the Evil-Lyn hint, now that you mention it. XD

And it's Oo-Larr time!

Straight after Sorceress, and still under the influence of those illustrations by Alfredo Alcala, I wanted to add a new barbarian-like character to my lineup, and someone who would've required a relatively quick redesign process. That's why I picked up Oo-Larr.

One thing I decided to do with my Tribal Clash project, since the very beginning, was to put all my MotU into the same timeline, which means they co-exist and interact with each other simultaneously. According to his official bio, Oo-Larr is the savage lord of the jungle tribe, as well as the actual He-Man before Adam. That said, in Tribal Clash, there are Adam (Randor's kid), He-Man and Oo-Larr too, who happens to be a champion of the same clan.

When I redesigned He-Man, I gave him a peculiar silhouette so he could be iconic in his own way, without mimicking his original look. Still, I wanted to include a proper barbarian/bodybuilder in my list, someone with that kind of body... Hence the decision to celebrate Oo-Larr with this drawing.

Hope everyone likes!
    Last edited by Galdelico; March 5, 2015 at 06:54pm.

So... I guess it's about time to start giving you an idea of how exactly I do imagine this 'alternate universe' to look like. XD
    Each time I posted a new MotU, I referred to this gritty/iron age scenario, but I've never really tried to visualize it properly. That's mainly because I'm not a painter - even less a landscape painter - and I wanted to use a different style for my TC environmental concepts, something more in line with Mattel classic box-arts, which would also be consistent with my character designs.

Easily the most iconic location in the whole series, Castle Grayskull has been on my 'to do list' since the very beginning: I had this idea stuck in my head - of this gigantic, eerie sanctuary, carved in stone and bones, keeper of many secrets and mysteries - but I never felt confident enough to approach it and draw it. Until now at least!

I used Nate Baertsch's MotUC boxart as my main reference for the mood and atmosphere of this concept sketch, which I tried to keep faithful to the original design on the one hand, boosting the sense of scale and the monumental feel on the other one.

Let me know what you guys think about it, and also if you have some preference for what may come next!

I like both Oo-Lar and the castle.

He looks really cool, very naked but what else was i expecting
    I like his roughness and the contrast between your He-Man and him. I would like to see a picture with him and your Goddess together.

The castle and the huge (elephant) head with the tower is very rough as well and almost unfinished in a way but still fitting. i canīt describe differently but i hope you get what i mean!?

Itīs nice to see a whole picture this time around and it has a great atmosphere.
    *Toy version Catra *Sagitar *Drissi *Crita *Lizorr *Zilora *Granita *Delora *Battle Armor Queen Marlena *Hawke *Pebb-Liss(Minicomic Comet Warrior) *Lady Slither

Thank you Niki, much appreciated!

With Oo-Larr, that's exactly what I aimed for. It's funny, I've even spent so much time to decide whether to give him boots or not! XD
    I love that 'Tarzan' feel from the classic mini-comic, but I also wanted him to look consistent along with He-Man, Teela and the other warriors from the same clan.
    When you say Oo-Larr and Sorceress together, do you mean just them beside each other (for proportions' sake) or something like an action shot?

And thanks, I'm really glad you liked Grayskull too. It's rough and unfinished in its entirety, man. XD
    Seriously, this piece - as well as all the environmental concepts I'll do in the future - is just a sketch. A little more elaborate than my usual doodles, but still a sketch. I think it's the most comfortable way for me to represent my ideas, a reasonable compromise between detail and atmosphere.
    Last edited by Galdelico; March 9, 2015 at 08:14am.

While I can't say I am a fan of the strange proportions you give your characters (the tiny torsos and giant legs for the women just looks really weird to me) I have to admit that is one bad-ass looking Castle Grayskull.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Hey wolf, no problem at all! I'm totally open to critiques, and besides, I'm aware everyone has their own taste.

Actually, thank you for stopping by and take some time to leave a comment, man. I truly appreciate it. ^_-

Like the moody castle with the elephant skull post-apocalyptic look there brah!

MOTUC RECORD

Thank you, good pal! Super keen on reading you feedback too. ^_-

Sorry, i meant those two existing pictures combined. Oo-Larr more in front and the Goddess more in the back as those pictures could fit together as own piece at least in my mind....

WOW!! as always wonderful pictures G!! very very compliments!