Thread: Do you every upgrade your DVD's?

Do you every upgrade your DVD's?

Discotek Media have recently released a new version of Castle of Cagliostro on DVD, this version features the original Japanese dub and the 2 american versions plus new extras

I'm tempted to get it (even though I already own it on DVD) and it got me thinking, does anyone here ever upgrade their DVD's when new a version (anniversary edition etc) of something comes out with new extras/a better transfer or makes the upgrade to blu ray?

I haven't previously but what does everyone else do?
    My feedback
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=108414
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...hlight=jag2045
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=117706

Great traders: Blue-jackal/Fneh(2)/Daz/Royalt1us/Evil-Orko/Buythepower/Booster/Adora/Zodac101/tokyonever/lemure77(2)/Vess(2)/Scorpia/Buzzsaw Hordak/miscus555/tmc1984/General Hawk 7

Heroic Warrior
    I've not only upgraded from DVD to Blu-ray, but even replaced Blu-ray and DVD both with digital in many situations.

The biggest thing for me in replacing DVDs, though, has been to get the HD transfers available in either Blu-ray or digital. I know a lot of people don't care, but even in animation it can make things look clearer and cleaner, bringing out new detail.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    I do if the newer DVD has more features that I want, mainly upgraded sound or upgraded widescreen from full screen if a movie. But I'm not going to upgrade my DVDs to Blu-Ray. I have way too many DVDs now to make that economically feasible. I am content with my dvd quality
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

For better versions, I have or movies I really like. But typically no, or if the blu-ray copy is pretty cost effective and has gotten good reviews on the transfer.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

Heroic Warrior
    I will say that almost all of my upgrades, whether to Blu-ray or to digital, have been purchased during sales. For Blu-rays, Best Buy and Target (and even Amazon) frequently have big discounts on movies. iTunes has weekly sales, as well, where they'll put one or two groups of movies with something in common (this week is animation in one group and Sundance films in another) for $8-$10 in HD. Unlike the retail sales, where it may typically be low-interest movies that have been sitting on the shelf gathering dust, iTunes usually has a very decent selection of popular movies.

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    I'm probably an anomoly amongst many here in that I collect A LOT of movies and tv shows on DVD and Blu-Ray (I have over 1,000 DVDs and I'm probably just a couple/few dozen shy of having 800 Blu-Rays). I've been upgrading a lot from DVD to Blu-Ray, in addition to buying most any new releases and contentthat I don't have at all yet on Blu-Ray when the option exists. There's still a lot that I have yet to upgrade, most of which I will sooner or later. I don't really have any hard rules for upgrading. It's more of a combination of the mood striking me and sometimes stumbling on good sales.

And in some extreme cases, I have a few editions of the same movie from various upgrades like new special editions with bonus features, forat upgrades, etc. There are a few movies that I have 4 or 5 editions of between DVD and Blu-Ray as a result. But these are the extreme exceptins and not the rule.

Like I said, I buy/upgrade to Blu-Ray when the option exists. I still buy DVDs when there is no Blu-Ray option, which these days is mainly TV season sets that don't get released on Blu-Ray.

I just can't get on board with digital distribution for a numbe of reasons. I don't mind it as a form of rental, but when buying movies and tv shows, I still go with physical media. So while I prefer HD, if something is only available in HD via digital download and the only phsical media option is DVD, I go with DVD.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

Yes, but not each title I own.
    WANTED: Comic From SDCC Vykron!
    Mini Comic want list:
    Terror Claws Strike
    Skeletor's Journey
    And any and all PoP mini's.

Heroic Warrior
    I have been upgrading to Blu Ray but I don't buy DVDs to upgrade from an older DVD.

I have done but like others only for certain films, I have copies of Robocop, the Lord Of The Rings, Aliens , Predator, Kill Bill, Sin City and Yellow Submarine on dvd and blu ray and I have Time Bandits on dvd and 2 copies on blu ray.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Since Blu Ray didn't succeed in replacing DVD, I don't bother with it. Everything I have is still DVD. I do occasionally get a new version if it has more features/extras I want, but only for things I REALLY like. Since most of what I get are TV shows as opposed to movies, I don't run into a lot of that option to begin with.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    Since Blu Ray didn't succeed in replacing DVD, I don't bother with it.
    While it didn't completely take it over, it's still a successful, profitable format. And the quality is miles better than DVD (and is still better than most any current streaming/download option).

Some people try to argue that it's a "modern equivelant" of laserdisc, but laserdisc was truly niche. It never hit the mainstream at all.

If we were to compare home media sales to fast food chain sales/profitablility, DVD would be like the equivelant of McDonald's... it's EVERYWHERE and is one of, if not the biggest and most profitable chain around. Blu-Ray is like another chain that is still doing very well in-and-of itself and is in no danger of going away anytime soon, but overall just does isn't as huge sales-wise as McDonalds.

Tare a lot of misconceptions about Blu-Ray, and as someone who enjoys it and follows it, I just try to clear that up whenever possible. Plus a lot (not all, but a lot) of Blu-Rays come in the form of combo packs that also include the DVD anyway, typically for only a couple bucks more than the DVD-only release. And Blu-Ray players are cheap now and play all DVDs. Even if one doesn't want to completely convert to Blu-Ray, it seems silly (IMO) to forgo the extra quality when the option exists. If you have a decent sized HDTV in your living room/main viewing room, you can get a cheap Blu-Ray player these days to go with it, and even if you limit any Blu-Rays that you buy to only combo packs that include the DVD (so that you can use the DVD in other rooms), you'll be getting A LOT more out of your HDTV than you are now.

A lot of people think that using a player / equipment that upscales DVDs to 1080p makes them "as good" as Blu-Rays and other HD options, and that simply isn't true. It does help improve what is there and get the most out of that DVD that one possibly can, but it doesn't magically convert a standard def content source into true HD. The difference is very noticable when comparing.

I can understand someone not wanting to upgrade and rebuy every movie that they already have on DVD, but to opt for DVD for a movie that one doesn't already own when the Blu-Ray (especially a combo pack that includes both) is available often for just very slightly more in many cases just seems silly to me.

Don't get me wrong. If it's not for you and you don't want to jump on board with it, that is completely up to you and that's fine. To each their own. I just try to clear up misconceptions whenever possible.

Though you are right that with TV shows, Blu-Ray options are more limited anyway. Only some current shows and very few older TV shows get Blu-Ray releases. Most still come out on just DVD. And when DVD is the only option, I'll take it.

I still have VHS

Can someone explain to me the appeal of owning "digital"? Other than renting, why would you want to own it digitally over blu-ray? How is digital better other than for space issues?
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Well for one thing, with digital you don't have to get up and put another disc in

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    Can someone explain to me the appeal of owning "digital"? Other than renting, why would you want to own it digitally over blu-ray? How is digital better other than for space issues?
    So, if I want to watch something multiple times, I buy. Why buy digital instead of Blu-ray? Well, I have probably the same number of items in my digital library as others have in their physical library... When I want to watch something, I don't have to worry about whether it was placed back in the right case, whether the last family member to watch it scratched it, whether the case was put back where I expect to find it... And when the family is deciding what to watch, we don't have to stand together in front of the shelves or have one person reading off titles for a "yes" or "no" from the group. If I want to change on the fly what's being watched because different family members are leaving or joining the room (some don't like action, some don't like romance, etc), I can easily switch to another movie/TV show. Also, similar to games, I don't have to worry about "seller's remorse" after selling something and deciding I want to watch it again.

And my digital library probably rivals the more prolific DVD/Blu-ray libraries of some of the folks on this thread.

How does digital work? You just download them onto iTunes so you can watch them on your laptop, ipad, or through SmartTV? What is the deal with Ultraviolet? And aside from it being "easier" to access, ie not having to get up and put a disc in, what makes it better than blu-ray?

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Heroic Warrior
    I buy through iTunes (I'm a bit of an Apple fan), and I can have an Apple TV (or two or three) at my house and an Apple TV at my in-law's house, and be able to watch anything without having to worry about "Did we bring this movie or that TV show with us?" I'm not a huge "extra features" person, outside of the odd gag reel or deleted scene, which a lot of movies (especially recent ones) on iTunes have available. I'm also able to put things on my iPad for when I fly, whether for work or vacation. Also easier for multiple family members to watch either different things at the same time or the same thing started at different times.

That being said, I'm a big digital fan; my game collection is digital (PS4, Wii U, PS Vita, PS3) as much as possible, and I've switched to almost completely digital on comics with the exception of some graphic novel/collected editions for some series (Usagi Yojimbo, especially), and most of the non-art books I buy are digital... So, I may be a bit of an anomaly and either embracing the future more quickly, or risking a lot on the concept of digital, depending on your POV.

Yeah, you are a bit of anomaly. No way I'd want certain books or whatnot digital. Pretty soon, you're going to want your action figures to turn into something more digital Thanks for clearing it up for me. I like having blu-rays/DVDs for my favorite movies, particularly for the sound and picture quality and for special features. I watch a lot of streaming and have rented online before, but I don't own any digital movies. Lots of music, but not movies.

My problem with digital distribution is the long term uncertainty of access to the content in question. Depending on the type of content and the service and/or device it is tied with, there is a lot of DRM that tends to keep it tied to a the service.

So, for instance, I cannot transfer a game license from one Xbox 360 to another Xbox 360 without going through Microsoft's service and so forth.

My issue is simply what happens when and if any of these companies/services ever go under or are discontinued in some way? While it's been around for a few years now, digital distribution is still a relatively young concept. So we haven't seen what happens when a digital movie service that is currently flourishing, much like Blockbuster video was back in the 90s, ends up facing the same fate that Blockbuster did within the last couple of years.

And going digital with gaming consoles scares me more than with movies. At least with movies, in theory if the service still exists, for the most part you'll be able to still access your content years down the road.

But with gaming consoles, what happens when they eventually retire the Xbox 360 and the PS3, for example? There actually was some digitally distributed content on the original Xbox, and MS cut off access to it all shortly after the 360 came out. Granted, digital distribution was a fraction of what it is now, the original Xbox never sold anywhere near the number of units that the 360 has, and therefore only a small fraction of those who owned one at that time ever used digitally downloaded content, but the point still remains. While they haven't been as quick to cut off support of the 360 (or with Sony, the PS3), but the concern is still there.

It's not a matter of if they one day stop supporting the system, it's when. When the time comes that these companies no longer see value and profit in manufacturing these systems and releasing content for them, they'll stop doing so. And I have a hard time believing that they will maintain server support and access to redownload previously purchased content for decades to come. So if say your PS3 or 360 dies, or the hard drive crashes, and it's after this support is no longer available, you're screwed. You lose all of that content in one shot. Replacing the system and/or hard drive with a functioning one won't matter if you can't redownload the content. By contrast, if a system dies, and you have your games on discs, you can always pop the disc into a new system. Unfortunately with there being more and more add-on dlc, and even patches to fix major glitches in some games, some of those discs may not be very playable either.

As it is, I came to prefer the PS3 over the 360 simply because they let you download content to more than 1 system and use it offline. So I have 2 PS3s for that reason. I buy any and all content that I can on discs whenever the options exists. I've even upgraded from standard editions to complete/game of the years editions whenever possible. But since there is some content that was only available digitally, I have a back up of it all. I'm disapointed that the PS4 doesn't work the same way, but I understand why.

I see the advantages of digital, but to me the disadvantages outweigh it. If I have a movie on VHS or DVD that never got released on later formats, or a game on an older system that never got re-released, even if the hardware ever dies, I can replace it and pop in the movie/game, and be good to go. If any one movie or game is ever lost, damaged, misplaced, etc, I'm only out that one movie or game. The rest of my collection is not effected. And with physical media, at least I can try to hunt down a replacement copy of long out of print content. How easy and what the cost will be will depend on how many copies are out there and the demand for them, but at least the option exists. If something is no longer available digitally, there's no legit way to reobtain it.

And even if you happen to be the type that, when it comes to gaming, you move on to the next system and don't look pack, IMO physical media is still better because then you have something to trade in later for the upgrade, and that puts more physical copies out there in the wild for those who want them. There's been a few cases in recent years of some games, particularly those that are based on licensed properties, going away and being unavailable for future purchase. For example, the TMNT Turtles in Time remake, the Simpsons Arcade game, etc, on PS3 and 360. You can still redownload them (for now anyway) if you bought them previously, but there's no legit way for someone to buy them now. Similarly, Capcom's license with Marvel ended, and Marvel VS Capcom 3 (the regular and ultimate versions) are now out of print, and the dlc is no longer available. While one can still hunt down the disc, the extra characters, add-on costumes, etc. can't be purchased.

And with movies, while most "major" content gets re-released, there's always some content that doesn't make the jump from one format to the next. I'd rather have that on physical media that I have control over rather than have all of my eggs in someone else's basket. Heck, I read an article a while back about some people who "bought" a digital movie through Amazon, and when they went back to watch it later, it was no longer available to watch. To hell with that!

And with video games, while some more major titles get re-releases, the vast majority of games never get a reissue (whether an exact port or modern upgrade) on future consoles or the like.

While I do see the upsides of digital (i.e not having to swap out discs), to me the downsides FAR outweigh them. And besides, with movies, a lot of Blu-Rays come with a digital copy anyway. So if someone wants a decent library of content to take with them when traveling, they can redeem those. Sure, not every movie comes with a digital copy, and sometimes they are restricted to a certain service, but I can't imagine a scenario anyway where I'd be traveling and NEED to have my entire collection with me at all times.

It's going to take a lot to convince me that digital distribution is a good thing, and I'm not sure that will ever happen.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; Yesterday at 07:13pm.

To answer the original question no I do not upgrade my DVDs.

I have spent enough money upgrading my VHS to DVD (and Blu-Ray) without starting all over again just because there may be a few extra minutes of footage or a new interview. The only time I will consider getting a DVD again is if the original gets damaged in some way (usually because of those really stupid cases they put them in that refuse to let go of the damn disk )
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Good points, Dynamo.

I replace based on new features and how much I liked the film to begin with. I have a LOT of movies, and it's doubly true with TV series that the transfer isn't likely to improve from DVD to Blu Ray, so unless there are really enticing new features I wont bother. If it's one of my absolute favorite films of all time, then I'll probably spring for the new version.

Here's another interesting downside of digital distribution that is worth mentioning. There's some backstory needed to set this issue up...

Last year Disney released The Sword in the Stone on Blu-Ray. Now normally a movie released on Blu-Ray will look better than it's DVD counterpart... assuming either the same mastering is used for both vesions... or a better remastering was done for the Blu-Ray.

However, there are some techniques... many of which are a source of contraversy and debate amongst home theater enthusiasts and anyone looking for the best quality presentation... that, when mastered for modern home video formats, are sometimes used in varying degrees to manipulate the end picture in a way that is not inherent to the originally released negative, etc. Namely digital noise reduction (DNR) and edge enhancement, amongst others. DNR is the main culprit in this case.

This link goes into detail about DNR for those not familiar with it...
    http://www.cinedrome.ch/hometheater/dvd/dnr/

But to give a very simple, laymens terms explanation... It's a method of digitally 'smoothing' the image to try and reduce 'noise' in the picture such as visible film grain. Studios often apply this to try and give movies... especially older movies... that smooth 'hi-def' look, or as close to it as possible. What I mean by that is what the illinformed masses expect from hi def.... and not what it truly necessarily is. When you see demo material playing on TVs at a store, they are typically using content that doesn't have grain and really POPS in oreder to sell HDTVs. That material is hi def, of course. But so is a true-to-the-source film mastering that includes film grain. But when joe-6-pack sees grain, they assume somethig is wrong.

The problem with DNR is that when it is applied to reduce 'noise' like film grain, it also effects and smooths/removes fine detail in the image... and having that detail remain generally IS wanted from viewing content in HD. So that's where the problem comes in. Now, just to be clear, DNR is not exclusively an issue for Blu-Ray or even HD content in general... it can and does also impact standard DVDs whete applicable, but the issue is just has that much more of an impact when viewing content in HD.

Now when this is applied sparingly, while still being contraversial amongst some entusiasts, the results usually aren't THAT bad, and in those instances a Blu-Ray or HD release will still overall look betterand be an uprade over any previous DVD release, even if the new HD release got a new mastering and recieved a new (but sparing enough) DNR treatment that that may not have been used in the previous DVD release.

But then there are cases where it is used WAY too much. Such is the case with The Sword in the Stone release that came out last year. They used DNR on it too much. So much so that the image is extremely soft and blurry... almost as if a painting got wet and the colors smeared. Fine details like a black line for someone's mouth will in some instances be almost missing entirely. This issue effected the Blu-Ray and the coresponding DVD and digital releases, since they were all cut from the same highly tampered with master.

Here is a review of the Blu-Ray that includes some screen shots...

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Sw.../44743/#Review

Now while the new DVD release last year that came out at the same time as the Blu-Ray suffers from this issue, the previous DVD release from a few years back did not. DNR was not applied to that release (at least no where near this extent, if it was applied at all), and while the Blu-Ray still offers more vibrant colors, the DNR issue is SO bad in this case that the general concensus is that anyone interested in this movie is better off sticking with that previous DVD release.

Now I'm sure anyone who has read this post up to this point is thinking, "That's great, but what the hell does this have to do with the negatives of digital disribution?" Well, here's where that issue rears it's ugly head...

Like I said, prior to this muddied mess of a release last year, the previous DVD release from a few years back was better and did not suffer from this problem. Likewise, there was also a previous digital release a few years ago that used the same mastering as that previous DVD, and was available on itunes.

But people who bought that previous release came to discover something unsettling last year. The digital file of this movie associated with their itunes account had been replaced with this new, crappy, terrible remastering. If they still had the previous, better looking file already downloaded to a device, then they could still use the better version so long as they maintained a back up of it. But if they ever need to download it again, they get the new crappy version, and not the version they originally paid for. Anyone who no longer has the original file saved is out of luck.

Now sure, with this being the case, it could be argued that a variation of this issue could happen to people's benefit in which a better remastering could replace a lesser one. But the problem here is the complete lack of choice and control on the consumer's part. They have no choice in the matter. And if this is happening, then what's to stop a studio from replacing one cut of a movie with another cut for a film that has more than one version? Imagine what would happen in a scenario where George Lucas still owned Lucasfilm and Star Wars, and physical media was completely eliminated. You buy the movies digitally, and the files tied to your account keep changing each time he decides to update them. To hell with that!

This is the type of thing that worries me. You can argue that the cases of this happening so far have bern minimal... but that could be amplified down the road, and even if it remains rare, it still sucks for the people that care about the films that this sort of thing does impact. So once again, it's a big no thanks from me.
    Last edited by Dynamo of Eternia; Today at 03:57am.