Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quitting lines

Quitting lines

Have you recently quit collecting any current action figure lines? Did someone you know stop collecting one or more lines?

Share your stories, here.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; August 30, 2014 at 08:56am.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

My hobbies tend to be full of experimenting with things. For instance, I buy a lot of games for sales and end up playing through only a portion of them.

With that said, I've noticed that I have a similiar approach to collecting toys. I have a lots of toy lines I have gotten a bit into but have not collected that much. Though I usually try to get some kind of logical collections finished. Like from DCU I have the main Justice League characters, and from Turtles I have the turtles themselves.

I have also sold two collections - My Little Ponies and the original MOTU. The reason for selling them was mainly space issues. The MOTUC and Marvel Legends collections take a lot of space and on top of those I have lots of figures from other toy lines.

Now that I think about it, I do not regret any decisions I've made. I mean, I am pleased with what my collection is now and what I'm focusing my resources on at the moment (mainly finishing MOTUC).
    "The most difficult thing is trying not to forget who you really want to be." - Nong Toom

I am looking for these Marvel Legends figures

My marketplace feedback

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    Interesting topic!

I barely got rid of any toy I owned up until a few years ago. Then I saw the Teela MOTUC figure. I had been collecting a lot of lines at the time - DC Universe Classics, Star Wars, WWE Classic Superstars, etc... But that Teela figure made me realize that Masters of the Universe is my favorite collection, the vintage look was what I love, and everything else in terms of modern collectibles were just taking up space.

I liked all my modern day collections above, also including Muppets (by Palisades), Marvel Legends, Lord of the Rings, Masters of the Universe 200x, and so on. But I didn't love them. I think I honestly always had hoped we'd get a second chance at an improved vintage collection, and while 200x was nice, it wasn't MOTUC. As for my other modern collections, space was a big issue, enough it was starting to be hard moving around my crawl space where I store them. I also realized they're just sitting in boxes, and I don't have the time or space to enjoy them. I would rather have someone else enjoy them.

Shortly after that Teela figure reveal, I started selling whole collections on eBay in 2009 and have done so a bit year after year. I've nearly sold all my modern day collections. I think I had an easier time parting with them since I didn't get them as a kid. My toys as a child, especially up until age 8 or so, those things are beat up, but precious memories. I remember where, when, and how I got each figure. To sell them would be selling my memories in a way. But modern stuff, I just bought them for myself mainly. And I wasn't nostalgic about them.

So MOTUC changed my collecting habits. I primarily just try to fill vintage holes in my old collections (like MOTU or G.I.JOE), and MOTUC is primarily the only new modern day collection I have. And very happy about it.

Master of New Adventures!
    Ex-wives, now that I've found my angel.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Ex-wives, now that I've found my angel.
    Ex-cellent!?!

Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    Ex-cellent!?!
    If they were then they wouldn't be exes, would they?

I kind of cherrypick the best of what any line has to offer. So I don't normally quit lines, myself.

But I have bought very few Transformers in the past year and a half. And I sold off what few MU I had and refuse to buy any more.

*People can feel free to add any new lines that they just recently started collecting.*

Star wars 3 3/4" figures. I have 7 plastic totes full going all the way back to the first run of the red card power of the force series. And I collected pretty much all of them through episode 3. Then they started all the rereleases and I said enough. It was just too much. I walked away till Black came out. I'm really considering waddling down the POTF figures. 20 years in a tote may be time...lol

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Usually I don't quit lines; they die on me.

I quit Marvel Legends because Hasbro's offering was so different from Toybiz's. I got into Marvel Universe later because they reached characters sooner that Legends never reached.

JLU was done because the figures were too hard to find at retail. When I missed out on those 2 ultra rare six packs and Mattel didn't want to re-issue those six packs on Matty, I was done. The expensive $30 4 packs on Matty didn't help either.

Now that I'm collecting Transformers Masterpiece, Transformers Generations is on the chopping block for me. I'm a TF scale nut and the scale is wildly all over the place. Even if you stick to mainly deluxe scale, the sizes are terrible! Sideswipe and Sunstreaker are bigger than Ironhide and Trailbreaker. Bigger than GALVATRON. We even have a Leader class Megs coming that will be larger than any Optimus. If it wasn't for IDW and the WFC/FOC games, this line would have been dropped.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Shivering Isles resident diosoth's Avatar
    I quit GI Joe totally a few years back, and you couldn't pay me money to collect them again. The toys are mediocre and the fandom isn't a group I wish to associate with further. Just as well, the way Hasbro mishandles the line, actually buying the toys became a chore and I'm not dumb enough to spend $40 apiece for club figures because Hasbro's too slimy to sell them at retail.

I dumped Monster High a year ago due to dental expenses, and never really bothered with them after. I sold off a lot of signature dolls which I can't replace without spending a fortune, and these days I just don't have wall space for them so I didn't bother. Even reissues of first wave dolls didn't much grab my interest. I also found I wasn't watching the webisodes anymore. I think I just lost all interest in MH.

1:6 anything I also ditched but I got sick of spending high prices on toys that are worth 1/5 of what they cost.

I really didn't go heavily into Transformers anyway but with the local Walmart barely stocking anything, price increases, a stronger focus on IDW stuff which I dislike thoroughly and being Hasbro I just stopped paying attention to Transformers. The only way I'd even touch the Masterpiece line would be through the cheaper knockoff versions and I still can't talk myself into paying even $35 shipped for a toy the size of a deluxe class.

I packed it in on Gacha Tomy's Legend of Zelda capsules, lol. I bought five or six of them, but I only got one that I wanted and had to sell off the others.

Finally decided they weren't worth the effort.

- - - Updated - - -

Speaking of which, I generally try to avoid Nintendo figures. They are a resale nightmare. These aren't like other lines; they don't "evolve." You seen one Mario figure, you seen 'em all, heh. The plushes I picked up are cool, but any type of full scale mini figure line or action figure line is an automatic pass.

I was a HUGE Spawn fan back in the day. I felt that McFarlane was the top toy designer and manufacturer back in the late 90's and into the 2000's. I would grab a whole lines back in 03' and 04'. Eventually I had to stop because I would get like 8 Spawns at a time, granted I still have a lot of them and think that they are still beautiful. The fact that they were all staction like drove me insane. They did do a really nice 10th anniversary edition and he's chocked full of articulation.

Interesting topic you guys have here. I recently quit two (2) lines....I never looked back since.

But seriously, when it's time to move....you just kinda move on. No matter what you reasons may be....

I said my goodbyes to my 3.75" Star Wars Clone Wars & Marvel Universe collection. I was way too deep into them but luckily for the active flea market/collector community here in Malaysia, I was able to dispose both of them off at decent prices (got myself two Hot Toys figures that I've been wanting and still have some spare change afterwards! ).

So that's my story....

Do you who drop a line and entirely sell it off find that it has appreciated over time and you get back the bucks that you put into it? Not a big deal one way or another because you get so much pleasure from collecting and playing, but I'd be interested to know anyway.

Heroic Warrior
    I used to collect A LOT of lines. Now, only a few: Lego, SW Black, and DCC Batman the Animated Series are pretty much it for me.

Here is some of what I sold:

TMNT (vintage): I had pretty much everything (minus some silly variants). Shogun Shoate, Scratch, Hotspot, 12" Krang, I had it all. Thankfully, most of it went to a buddy who loves them more than I did, and I can look at them every now and then.

GI Joe 25th Anniversary: GI Joe RAH was by far my favorite line as a kid. I LOVED the 25th anniversary line, but the distro was a nightmare, and then Hasbro killed it for those awful movie figures that still peg-warm in some places to this day.

MOTUC: I collected through 2012. Unemployment was the main reason I sold. But most of those figures went to members of this board. I made some money, and they got better deals than ebay had at the time. If only I foresaw what Fisto, Shadow Weaver, Whiplash, etc sell for now

Mattel Movie Masters: Another line I loved. The switchover to 3.75" scale ticked me off to no end, and I ended up selling everything except the 1966 figures. My dream is to have 6" figures of Romero Joker, Nicholson Joker, BTAS Joker, and Ledger Joker. Well, it's close, but the 3.75" scale ruined my chances of Nicholson for now.
    Positive Transactions:

As buyer: boggs32, PaTrIcKfOgArTy, Dorko2, Shecky, Shenlon (2),
    Son of Keldor

As seller: mikethedrummer, slgcmg, kngfu
    DJjoker182, bobtheodd, mahuti, FAKER II, General Hawk 7

EBay: StLouisStallions

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Do you who drop a line and entirely sell it off find that it has appreciated over time and you get back the bucks that you put into it? Not a big deal one way or another because you get so much pleasure from collecting and playing, but I'd be interested to know anyway.
    Not for me, but I bought the figures and took them out of the package. That depreciates them big time. For some of those lines, might have gotten 1/3 to 1/2 back in what I put into it. If one sells each item individually, then you can make more money. I'm too lazy for that (doing eBay is a lot of work - pictures, boxing, supplies, shipping, communication), so selling them all at once is less time consuming.

I'm hoping to get to a point where I don't sell anything I have left, meaning I love everything I got left. I think I'm getting there.

I usually complete a line or complete it to my liking. For instance I have just about every G1 TF from 1984-1988, I stopped right as Micromasters were hitting, so to me my collection of G1 is complete and no longer collect it. I did however quit many of the newer lines such as Classcs, Armada, Cybertron, etc. and the awful movie lines. I still have a few totes of 2001-2007 TFs but they will be for my son's use.

For other vintage lines, Silverhawks, Real Ghostbusters, Thundercats, Rock Lords, Voltron, Batman Kenner, TMNT, etc...., I may not have everything but will get a figure once in a while if the deal is right, But for the most part they are complete enough for me.

Star Wars I began in 1995 with red cards and still collect now, but only 3.75 and only OT figs or droids from the prequels. I guess this is the line I have been actively collecting since it came out [potf2] I have never stopped-there have been some very slow spots [2002 saga was slow and right now is agonizingly slow to get new figs from the OT.

And I still buy Masters Vintage, but having a near complete line already, I personally love to buy duplicates. 7 Moss Man's? Yes- I love it. I have a bin of Masters for my son when he is old enough, he's 2 now. But then I also have to have figures in the vehicles and castles and etc. so that is why I have so many- that and I love them. I quit collecting Masters when I hit middle/high school, but I still had my originals on display and when Commemorative & 200X hit I was 100% back in.

Interestingly, I did quit collecting 200X, I grew tired of it.

So I really haven't quit that many lines, I'm basically in till the end or until I am satisfied with my collection.
    "I feel the best when I can't remember anything."

Quote Originally Posted by Spikor1982 View Post
    Interestingly, I did quit collecting 200X, I grew tired of it.

I got rid of almost every MOTUC figure I picked up at Big Lots, lol. The only ones I kept were Adora, Marzo, Moss Man, and a Prince Adam. I also kept a few accessories from guys I didn't keep.

It was an incomplete "collection" (I barely have any of these) and figures like Leech, Faceless One, Syklone, Clawful, Man-E, and Grizzlor just weren't doing anything for me. I sold some of them off pretty cheap and returned some others.

A neat thing about weeding myself down to just Robo Force is that there were only 10 toys made. It took little time to round all of them up- though some of them are real hard to get in decent shape so I got lucky in that regard, but it only took 2 weeks to get all 10. I could've bought the vehicles but price aside, they're huge and I don't have space. The 2 basic vehicles are over 1' long, the larger vehicle is massive and I dread to think of what space the playset would eat up.

The Glyos reboot is also such a horrible disappointment that manages to not even resemble the old toys so I feel no desire to own the things. They could do many things to improve that series but I doubt they will. For starters- let me build the original toys with flat bases. I don't mind including new parts like treads or legs, but what they've go tout is laughable. Number two, the colors are awful. all I see out of the line are a similar head on some new body in drab solid colors with little paint. It's like the old rights were just cheaper than filing new trademarks and copyrights or something because what they gave us is so generic and off the mark I don't see why they bothered. Whatever, I have the original toys now, so shy of doing remakes of them with proper arm articulation I don't need new copies.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by diosoth View Post
    I quit GI Joe totally a few years back, and you couldn't pay me money to collect them again. The toys are mediocre and the fandom isn't a group I wish to associate with further. Just as well, the way Hasbro mishandles the line, actually buying the toys became a chore and I'm not dumb enough to spend $40 apiece for club figures because Hasbro's too slimy to sell them at retail.

I dumped Monster High a year ago due to dental expenses, and never really bothered with them after. I sold off a lot of signature dolls which I can't replace without spending a fortune, and these days I just don't have wall space for them so I didn't bother. Even reissues of first wave dolls didn't much grab my interest. I also found I wasn't watching the webisodes anymore. I think I just lost all interest in MH.

1:6 anything I also ditched but I got sick of spending high prices on toys that are worth 1/5 of what they cost.

I really didn't go heavily into Transformers anyway but with the local Walmart barely stocking anything, price increases, a stronger focus on IDW stuff which I dislike thoroughly and being Hasbro I just stopped paying attention to Transformers. The only way I'd even touch the Masterpiece line would be through the cheaper knockoff versions and I still can't talk myself into paying even $35 shipped for a toy the size of a deluxe class.
    LOL, so you decided to part ways with the fandom? In the words of John Kennedy, "Cool story bro".

Quote Originally Posted by Grepicon View Post
    LOL, so you decided to part ways with the fandom? In the words of John Kennedy, "Cool story bro".
    Oh I know the Joe fans hate me, but I'd sooner stick each hand in a wood chipper than ever be on good terms with them again, so whatever. I just don't care for their belligerent attitude nor their willingness to spread lies about anyone they have a grudge against. Plus the toys are just not worth more than $5 apiece if you can even get them without joining their exclusive "club" anymore. Trying to collect GI Joe became an exercise in frustration that's only gotten worse over the past 3 years and I can't say I'm sorry I miss out on it.
    Last edited by diosoth; September 3, 2014 at 06:25am.

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    I gave up collecting Star Wars toys after my brother's kids trashed my collection. but I have risen from the ashes and reborn into a new person
    Etheria will be mine!

Shhhh... It's a Secret... Midwinter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by General Stingrad View Post
    I gave up collecting Star Wars toys after my brother's kids trashed my collection. but I have risen from the ashes and reborn into a new person
    Did you let them play with them and they just played too rough and trashed them, or did they find your stash and just go to town?
    In Midwinter, the heat from the oven baking my Shrinky Dinks is all I need!

Hordak's Pupil General Stingrad's Avatar
    I was foolish enough to let them play with them and they went to town. I learned my lesson then and no their not allowed in my room anymore. I managed to salvage my favorites that I had stashed away but a great empire was lost including my vintage Star Destroyer playset
    Etheria will be mine!

Ouch. Well, at least they gave their lives for a good cause. Next time, invest in a few boxes of Monster Marbles and Bot Shots.