Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2014 All-star year - what'd you expect?

2014 All-star year - what'd you expect?

So with the reveal of Glimmer, Hydron, Two-Bad, and Modulok kicking off 2014 to me makes good on the 'All star year' promise and was pretty much what I was expecting. Did anyone else expect someone different than who we saw?
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    I'm just now getting get caught up and I like what I read. I haven't seen any pics yet. I try to avoid spoilers and rumors so I can be surprised so I really didn't know what to expect.

With all that said, I like what I read. I may have to get a sub.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    yeah, expected most, but was surprised by some & a couple i was not expecting at all.
    im a little disappointed that eldor & evil seed had not made an appearance yet
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Masks of Power Demons, Nocturna, Lizzor, Horde Wraiths, Sagitar, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Melaktha, ABC Giants, Stridor

I'm thrilled with what was shown! Plus, we've only seen a few months into 2014 so there's a lot more to come!
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kylun flac View Post
    yeah, expected most, but was surprised by some & a couple i was not expecting at all.
    im a little disappointed that eldor & evil seed had not made an appearance yet
    I was happy overall with the line up, but I am worried about not having seen Eldor or Evil Seed yet. I really thought Eldor would have been the sub exclusive.

Im happy. I'm just wondering where NA Skeletor and NA She-Ra are going to fit in to this new roadmap. I really.. REALLY want both of them.

It's a Home Run! I'm SO EXCITED!!
    FINALLY!! GLIMMER IS IN MY SHELF!! Now I need a Crita!! Crita is to Mara what Evil Lyn is to Teela. If we ARE getting Mara, then we NEED Crita.

First thought is that I'm disappointed that i'm still without Blade or Saurod, when those actors went out of their way to support the line last year. Boo on you Mattel.

Love all the Characters except Nepthu and I'm on the fence on Standor, because it's a super lame idea but the toy looks pretty cool.

Having one heavy hitter from each of the three vintage lines is perfect!

The only thing strange to me is "The Unnamed One". Should we assume that he/she is also an A list character?

The lineup for next year looks good. The rest of the year remains to be seen but I think it will be good. I know I can look forward to Flogg next year.... unless they hold him hostage for 2015.
    Mattel I'm still waiting for these characters!

Spinwit, The Scientists, Darius,Crita, Kayo, Stridor, Kittrina, Melaktha, Drissi, Master Sebrian, Sagitar

NA DESERVES A MINI SUB!

My Facebook, check it out!

Heroic Warrior
    No one can call it a all star year for 2014 because only 4 figures were revealed thus far and the EXCLUSIVE figure is UNNAMED ONE which is not a figure most would put on an all-star list

I have my doubts that they changed their game-plan at all, these reveals were fairly unsurprising. It's a stretch to count Hydron or Nameless One as A-List characters IMO.

I'm extremely pleased. What really makes me happy are Modulok and Two-Bad, not just because they were in such high demand, but early on in this small line I wondered if those guys, Ram Man and Mantenna were even possible without being severely compromised in their designs.

I think 2014 is looking great and I love how the end of 2013 still gives me that crazy variety that pulled me into the line to begin with.

Let's get Crita in MOTUC! The All American's Avatar
    While I think the sculpt is incredible, Hydron being named at SDCC was a BIG mistake if we end up in another sub crisis. Let's be honest, NA is not popular, and never was.

If you're trying to get the fence sitters or cherry pickers to sub, they're most likely vintage fans, which is the whole point of the All-Stars promise last summer.

Hydron should have been saved for Power Con, after the sub sale, as the hardcore fans appreciate that NA heavy hitter. Karatti was an amazing reveal last year.

Tung Lashor, Ninjor, Rio-Blast, Blade, or someone like that should have been saved for this SDCC reveal slot.

I fear as cool as Hydron is, he's not going to be hot on the secondary market, which will also hurt sub resellers.

And not showing the Unnamed One is a risky move. That could be a figure that could push the fence sitters. I love MOTUC, and want to see it thrive. Last year's sub scare was not enjoyable, and I fault Mattel if it happens again this year.

Heroic Warrior
    im a little disappointed in the the reveals. hopefully the characters i really want are just coming in the other 8 months. i dont even know who the unnamed one is. can anyone fill me in or post a picture.

I didn't expect different characters, although I did hope for Eldor or Ninjor somewhere in there, they were two of the rumored characters I'd most wanted to see but suspected weren't going to appear. Goat Man was probably the nicest wild card surprise--and the Unnamed One is a head scratcher I still don't know how I feel about yet.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406

did they tease about scorpia already?
    is she part of the all-star sub or another filmation sub in 2014?

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    I am really happy with it. An A list Vintage MOTU and the last figure that many feel completes the Evil Warriors faction, an A list POP figure that has been the most requested character of the Great Rebellion, and a A list NA figure that many feel is essential for the Galactic Protectors. Plus Goat Man, who not only looks very cool but was a figure that many thought we would never see.

AND Modulok as the Quarterly Item, he finishes off the original Horde group!

The biggest unknown is the Unnamed One. I don't feel like he is 'essential" or "all star" at all. If anything he is more concept than the FFM, because we don't even have a picture of what he could look like. Now to be fair Horde Prime was like that and was planned as a sub exclusive at one point too, and I think he turned out very well. Still it is a heck of a gamble, and I don't think a giant question mark makes for as good a sub lure as say Eldor.

Still though, I feel like the 2014 reveals were MUCH stronger than the 2013 reveals.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

I like all of the reveals--was hoping for an Extendar or Dragstor reveal at least,though Hope we see at least one of them before 2014 is over

All of my "all stars" have already been released, so it's hard for me to get excited about the figures revealed (other than Two-Bad and the Troopers, everyone shown is a D-Lister or C-Lister at best, at least in my eyes). That being said, I expected that and think the reveals are great for fans who have been wanting those characters, just not so great for this particular fan. I'm sure I'm in the minority, though.

Personally, at this point I'm more about the variants of my favorites. I was disappointed that we didn't see NA Skeletor, for example, and I don't even like NA. I just really like Skeletor and want every version of him, haha. Blade and Saurod would have been cool, as well. The movie may be kind of lame (with the exception of Frank Langella), but it was a huge part of my childhood. MUCH more so than Bucky O' Haire... er, Plundor, for example. Or Goat Man. Or Modulok, or... well, most of the reveals.

Cool looking figures, don't get me wrong (with a few exceptions), but they don't press my "nostalgia button" at all. Despite this, I am happy for those fans who have been waiting on these characters. I just think, for me, the line has largely run its course.

(Edit: I just want to clarify that, obviously, someone like Glimmer would be an A-list character to most, but to someone like me, who has only seen a handful of POP episodes, she's not that important. I'm just talking about those characters who mean a lot to me, personally. I'm not intending to belittle any characters or offend anyone)
    Last edited by KeldorTheCursed; July 19, 2013 at 08:49pm.
    -KTC

My FREE full-length MOTU novel:

MOTU: The Keldor Chronicles

And its newly-released sequel (which is also FREE):

MOTU: Legacies

Ticks all my boxes. My most wanted figures are coming - Modulok, Hydron and Glimmer. I'm probably the only person who doesn't really care about Two-Bad. :P

Also Horde Troopers this year, awesome!

Am I reading things wrong but is October an EXTREMELY heavy month? Mantenna, Dactus, Nepthu, Weapons Pack AND Horde Troopers (which people will want multiples of)??

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    Couldn't be happier!!!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

I thought it was perfect. We got one of the most wanted MOTU's. A core NA character and a core POP character. They hit all the right notes, I think.
    Coming Soon. My line of 5.5'' action figures. EonQuest.com
    fwww.facebook.com/eonquest
    www.twitter.com/eon_quest

Supreme Fudge Dynamo of Eternia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The All American View Post
    While I think the sculpt is incredible, Hydron being named at SDCC was a BIG mistake if we end up in another sub crisis. Let's be honest, NA is not popular, and never was.

If you're trying to get the fence sitters or cherry pickers to sub, they're most likely vintage fans, which is the whole point of the All-Stars promise last summer.

Hydron should have been saved for Power Con, after the sub sale, as the hardcore fans appreciate that NA heavy hitter. Karatti was an amazing reveal last year.

Tung Lashor, Ninjor, Rio-Blast, Blade, or someone like that should have been saved for this SDCC reveal slot.

I fear as cool as Hydron is, he's not going to be hot on the secondary market, which will also hurt sub resellers.

And not showing the Unnamed One is a risky move. That could be a figure that could push the fence sitters. I love MOTUC, and want to see it thrive. Last year's sub scare was not enjoyable, and I fault Mattel if it happens again this year.

I largely agree with this.

I'm excited for Two-Bad, Modulock, and Glimmer. These are all characters that I've been wanting a lot, and I think they are great sub lures.

I understand that NA has it's fans, but of all incarnations/spin-offs/reboots, it is the one that is the least liked in general and tends to be the "red headed step child" of MOTU. And going with a regular human character rather than a more visually interesting evil mutant that could at least pull in a few non-NA fans to it's side doesn't help. I'm not saying NA shouldn't get any representation in the next year or two (though IMO it wouldn't be a huge loss if it didn't), but it certainly isn't something to sell the sub with.

And while the mystery of "The Unnamed One" is interesting, not actually showing one of the figure reveals doesn't help the cause.

Plus, while I do think (as I previously stated) that Glimmer is a great sub-lure, being one of the top-tier POP characters, there are still those fans who don't care much for POP who may not be thrilled about her (many of whom may not care for NA given it's relative lack of popularity). As such, they really should have used the sub exclusive slot and the slot that the NA figure is in to make up for it with something more palatable across the board.

I don't mean this to bring down anyone's excited for the NA figure or anything else... just from a sheer strategy perspective in getting the subs sold, it would have made sense to have changed up the strategy a bit.

Leela: "What's the secret of time travel doing on Fry's ass?"
    Fry: "It was bound to be somewhere!"

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar

Bold for unprovable speculation. And even still, this has always purported itself as an all inclusive line. I sincerely doubt that people will care significantly more for a Vintage D-lister than a NA A-lister. Hydron is A-List (to NA). Tung Lashor just isn't. And I'm not a NA fan.

Agree 100%. The sub exclusive figure should be a HUGE selling point for the sub. Either they haven't decided who to make the dub figure and the "Unnamed one" is a cover, or this is just a monumentally bad business decision.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats