Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: MOTU Classics Castaspella Video Review by Pixel Dan

Hate ask this, but foes the black dots on shoulders mean he is made of black plastics again? Hopefully I am just wrong.

Castaspella looks amazing she's turned out so well. The colours, accessories and sculpt are just incredible. Best looking POP character so far and the Great Rebellion is starting to actually look like a rebellion.
    MOTUC Top 5 Wish List
    Mermista : Peekablue : Perfuma : Queen Angella : Spinnerella

beautiful, beautiful figure - she looks totally awesome. I also get that Belinda Carlisle vibe, wonderful!

Heroic Warrior
    Solid figure for POP fans...

Great review as usual Dan! The figure is stunning! I agree about the face sculpt…she'll probably move into first place for best female face sculpt for me as well. I can't wait to add her to my shelf!

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    - For once, with Castaspella, it's not a problem, but STILL no slits in the skirts !? That might be a problem for future POP figures wearing a skirt.
    If it's working here, and this is their solution (shorter skirt that's very soft), how would it be an ongoing problem?

- STILL no boot cut !? It seems like the boot cut has been banned altogether by Mattel, and that is sad because it helps the poseability.
    I don't understand…Shokoti is coming with boot cut articulation…there doesn't seem to be a ban on boot cuts for females to me. Most likely what happened here is the design of the boot (the deep cut lightning bolt designs) prevented a boot cut on this particular figure. And personally, I have no issue with that, design over articulation is always preferred.

- Catra gummy hand = epic fail
    While a harder plastic would be preferred for these spell casting hands, I've had no issues with my other figures that have them.
    200X fan? Classic fan? What does that mean? I'm a MotU fan!!!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haephestus View Post
    Castaspella looks awesome! It's a shame about the terrible bio though.

No mention of ruling Mystacore/Mysticore, being the guardian of the Book of Spells, being trained by the great wizard Norwyn with Light Spinner/Shadow Weaver or her time as a prisoner of Mortella. Surely the bios could have been updated once Mattel acquired the rights to Filmation?
    Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    I usually disregard the bios, but yeah, Filmation references should have been made a top priority.
    This was asked about a long time ago. TG rarely goes back and retcons anything in the 300 bios that he wrote four years ago, even when he got access to Filmation so that he could now add in specific information. This stuff is probably back from when he didn't have the Filmation license.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Extendar • Ninjor • Tung Lashor • Sssqueeze • Sagitar • Angella • Perfuma • Mermista • Evilseed (MYP) • Oo-Larr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    This was asked about a long time ago. TG rarely goes back and retcons anything in the 300 bios that he wrote four years ago, even when he got access to Filmation so that he could now add in specific information. This stuff is probably back from when he didn't have the Filmation license.
    300? Did Toyguru confirm this number himself?
    The line was originally thought to last until 2016 (before they got access to Filmation), how the heck were we supposed to get 300 characters produced in such a few years?

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    Great review - Casta looks stunning! I'm very happy to see she has kept her prototype face
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Saurod ~ Gwildor ~ Crita ~ Dylamug ~ Staghorn ~ Ninjor ~ Tung Lashor ~ Oo-Larr ~ Darius ~ Evilseed ~ Masks of Power Demons ~ Skelcons ~ Kothos ~ Hawke ~ Veena ~ Spydra ~ Angast ~ S-S-Sssqueeze ~ Sweet Bee ~ Tuskador ~ Lodar ~ Entrapta ~ Sorceress Teela ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Kex Queen ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Mermista ~ Red Shadow ~ Fang-Or ~ Crimson Fury ~

That's a good looking (60's style babe) figure! I love her pose on the back on the card, it's like "YAY ME!!" And why do they mention shes a "a bit flighty" in the bio is beyond me. Other than her voice in Filmation, she is one of my fave POP girls I can't wait to get her in my collection! Thanks for the review Dan.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 3.30.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

She's awesome, thanks for clarifying the lighting issue. My office is kind of dark-lit so the tone difference shouldn't be a problem.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    That's no excuse. Until the bios are printed on the packaging, there's always time to change them. Would it really have been so hard to add one line mentioning her rivalry with Shadow Weaver? It's a key part of her character.

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    I don't understand…Shokoti is coming with boot cut articulation…there doesn't seem to be a ban on boot cuts for females to me. Most likely what happened here is the design of the boot (the deep cut lightning bolt designs) prevented a boot cut on this particular figure. And personally, I have no issue with that, design over articulation is always preferred.
    Frosta didn't get it (which I can see), Netossa, Octavia, Castaspella....none of them got it. Peekablue by default won't, anyone using the new Horde (Octavia) boots won't....every new Female figure doesn't have it....Shokoti, only got it because of wearing Adora's boots (looks like it to me), Sherrilyn only got it because she has boots that date back to 2009 with Teela.

The only new (since Frosta) Female figures to get boot cuts are the ones that are going to reuse old boots....both Shokoti and Sherrilyn do.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    Frosta didn't get it (which I can see), Netossa, Octavia, Castaspella....none of them got it. Peekablue by default won't, anyone using the new Horde (Octavia) boots won't....every new Female figure doesn't have it....Shokoti, only got it because of wearing Adora's boots (looks like it to me), Sherrilyn only got it because she has boots that date back to 2009 with Teela.

The only new (since Frosta) Female figures to get boot cuts are the ones that are going to reuse old boots....both Shokoti and Sherrilyn do.
    Netossa, Octavia and Castaspella ALL have design elements (deep cutting designs) on the front of the boot which most likely prevented the tooling of a boot cut. Frosta, of course didn't get a boot cut because it'd look awful on those shins with no disguising point. Who knows? Maybe boot cut articulation is partially dead for the females. Personally it's no big loss for me either way. I don't really make use of that articulation…it always makes the figures look strange. I prefer design over articulation, so admittedly I'm a bit biased here on this subject.

Heroic Warrior
    She looks amazing! Her head reminds me of 200X Teela Another great job Dan! Like someone said before me a figure I didn't even know I wanted till the Horsemen worked their magic.

Castaspella came out absolutely perfect! I do so hope we get more PoP reveals at Comic-Con, because I'm dying here to see how well Double Trouble and Entrapta and Peekablue turn out! The Horsemen handled the spinning disc really well (and I'm thrilled it actually spins! I thought ToyGuru had shot that possibility down at NYTF), and I imagine this is how they'll handle Peekablue's feather pack. The spell blast should definitely be recolored a few times for future Weapons Paks, as I'd like to have one for both Evil-Lyn and Shadow Weaver.
    Question about the shield, does it really snap on to the right hand? I thought the clips on the previous shields made it so you could only snap it on to the left one.
    Top Ten Next Reveals Wanted: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Mermista, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Tung Lashor

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Looks pretty good and worthy addition to the collection...despite being a hero.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Slits in the skirt cost a TON of tooling dollars. Would you rather just have a slitted skirt with no figure or a figure with an unsliced skirt?

Think about it people!
    Preternia - Cy-Chop Central!

Quote Originally Posted by Scud View Post
    Slits in the skirt cost a TON of tooling dollars. Would you rather just have a slitted skirt with no figure or a figure with an unsliced skirt?

Think about it people!
    We should just be thankful to get any figures at all. We are very lucky.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

She looks great. I'm glad to see that her hypno-disk thing turns-- I thought i had read that it wouldn't be...
    check out my artwork at geooco.blogspot.com

Double Trouble is MINE!! Shadow-Ra's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    Looks pretty good and worthy addition to the collection...despite being a hero.
    I was quite surprised you were going to keep her

Casta looks absolutely perfect
    "Skeletor to King Randor, Skeletor to King Randor, come in you Royal Boob!"

Quote Originally Posted by chuc98 View Post
    Netossa, Octavia and Castaspella ALL have design elements (deep cutting designs) on the front of the boot which most likely prevented the tooling of a boot cut. Frosta, of course didn't get a boot cut because it'd look awful on those shins with no disguising point. Who knows? Maybe boot cut articulation is partially dead for the females. Personally it's no big loss for me either way. I don't really make use of that articulation…it always makes the figures look strange. I prefer design over articulation, so admittedly I'm a bit biased here on this subject.
    All 3 could have gotten the boot cut still, they would have looked just fine, like real boots....And I did say I get Frosta....those DCU figures with the thigh cut look stupid.... Personally I would have liked to see Casta with her thigh boots, like Frosta, especially if she wasn't getting a boot cut anyway, as a toy Filmation hybrid....but I get why they went with the Filmation look as a whole.

Octavia's boots are no different that She-Ra 1.0's boots, just they have a Horde logo.... What's the reasoning for that, when they've clearly done that before? Netossa's boots were the same as SR1.0's too, just a little peacock design added....they could have still executed that.

Using Trap Jaw and Horde Prime as examples for ones that had deep cutting designs? They were made, and executed perfectly....perhaps a little way overused, but that's another story.

I personally liked the boot cuts because they added a depth to the figure that added realism, like their legs actually were really continuing down into the boot. Now, it just looks like a one piece sculpt, which it is.....which to me looks a little cheaper. I like design too, and anything that adds a bit of realism makes a difference, that is why I don't like the cut being gone.
    Last edited by shadowfall1976; July 13, 2013 at 10:57am.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow-Ra View Post
    Casta looks absolutely perfect
    Quote of the day right here.

Brilliantly realized figure, like she popped straight out of Filmation (which is her iconic look). Too bad the bio is an utter disaster - probably one of the laziest ones we've seen so far.

Quote Originally Posted by slackrguy View Post
    We should just be thankful to get any figures at all. We are very lucky.
    A to the men!
    Preternia - Cy-Chop Central!

Hover Robots in MOTUC! RockinHard's Avatar
    The skin tone from face to body is definitely noticeable, unfortunately.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Skeletor's Hover Robots 2) Sssqueeze 3) Tung Lashor 4) Stridor 5) Night Stalker 6) Lizard Man 7) Battle Ram (back half) 8) Roton 9) Multi-Bot 10) Ninjor 11) Dragstor 13) Blast-Attak 14) Saurod 15) Gwildor 16) Snake Mountain 17) TC Skeletor 18) FF He-Man 19) Karg