Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Unofficial CHANGE a BIO that you don't like thread .

The Unofficial CHANGE a BIO that you don't like thread .

Just for fun , are there any bios that you hate or did the bios anger you a bit? The only one that made me feel this way is the one for Snake Man-At-Arms.
    I hate this bio and I'll tell you why .

(1) First of all I don't like Mattel killing off Man-At-Arms. Duncan is a likable character in the Filmation cartoon series and many of us grew up with this character as a kid. Even though these are fictional/imaginary characters, many kids still become fond of these characters as if they're real people.

(2) I don't like the idea of him becoming a Snakeman permanently. Why can't King Hiss just recruit another snake warrior that has Duncan's skills and talents rather than kidnapping Duncan, weakening the heroic warriors forces?

(3) And finally I don't like the idea of him being killed by Clamp-Champ. I really hate this. Why would you murder your friend or someone you look up to? Why could not Clamp have injured Duncan instead? Injuring him instead of murdering him, like breaking his arm or leg, something like that.

Now here's my solution to fix this bio ..................

Clamp Champ did NOT kill the REAL Man-At-Arms. Instead he killed a clone of Duncan. When King Hiss kidnapped Man-At-Arms, he liked both his fighting skills as a warrior and his brains as a scientist. Realizing that Duncan can not be at two places at once, a science lab or a battle field, Hiss had a clone of made of Duncan . Duncan's clone was transformed into a permanent snakeman . Where as the real Duncan was forced to build weapons of mass destruction for Hiss while working in a dungeon. This situation is kind of similar to the birth of Iron Man . Hiss told Duncan a lie. He told him that he had Teela captured and if Duncan does not build the weapons for him he will murder Teela. Duncan's clone went on to fight against the Masters, only to be mortally wounded by Clamp Champ. Where as the REAL Man-At-Arms is a prisoner in King Hiss dungeon .

Now I'd like to see the bios that you would change because you don't like them .
    Last edited by christop; March 1, 2014 at 11:02pm.
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mastersofeternia - MASTERS OF ETERNIA

HE-MAN CHARACTER PROFILE CLUB at-http://groups.yahoo.com/group/HemanCharacterProfileClub

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    Faker:
    Originally built by Man-At-Arms to cover for He-Man when Prince Adam is needed, Faker was abandoned in the royal junkyard after his first mission and salvaged by the evil warrior Tri-Klops. At the request of Skeletor, Faker was reprogrammed to replace He-Man and convince the people of Eternia that He-Man had betrayed King Randor and turned to evil.

True the TP He-Man bio helped make Faker more important, but his original bio was sad. Abandoned in the royal junkyard and salvaged by Tri-Klops? I think I'm pretty sure I could have come up with something better on my 15 minute break.

Royal junkyard? Was the King's trash to good to go to the regular junkyard?
    Satma needs to happen. I will mow your lawn for life, Scott.

The outskirts of Castlevania, on the hunt!
    I simply do not want Man-At-Arms to change into a Snake Man....

Not really a specific bio change, but an overall MOTUC story alteration...

Also:
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodak's new shoes View Post
    L O L!!!!
    **Staunch FILMation Subscription supporter!!! **** NEEDS a New Adventures Subscription!!!**

MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Zodak's new shoes View Post
    Faker:

Of course. You really think kings would want common peasants putting their grubby hands all over their Royal Junk?

To be serious, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to the bios. However, I will say I don't care much for Eternia being so vastly technologically advanced that one guy in a workshop can build extremely advanced robots like Faker and Roboto. To me, if it's that easy to build a robot, then there's no reason why Eternos couldn't have a small army of them. There's also no reason why the palace guards couldn't all be outfitted with laser rifles.

In my own version, I prefer to view all of their high-technology as descended from salvaged and reverse engineered Horde Technology, and consequently quite rare and valuable. A genius like Duncan can get it working, and do some amount of repair and maintenance, but he can't actually manufacture new techs whole-cloth, and doesn't entirely understand the principles behind it all.

Essentially I just prefer a bit more of a sword-and-sorcery tone to the setting, than a sci-fi tone, except for the Horde itself.

Elder Councilman
    I don't care if it was in the original mini comics/Filmation show: I'm not cool with Teela being a clone of the Sorceress

I liked the angle of Fisto being her Dad, with the Sorceress being her mother.

Another thing: don't like the cloned Sword of Honor.
    "Whoever says money is evil...doesn't have it"- Boiler Room

I hate clone Teela, Snake MAA, and in my cannon the Foe Men are not a team per se or Horde. The Talon fighter, Sky High, and Shield Maiden are all King He-Man's royal guard. Roton driver is in the remnants of the evil warriors after Skeletor's defeat.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    Trap Jaw and Cy-Chop
    I simply added to Trap Jaw's and Cy-Chop's bios by making them original members of the Space Mutants. It was stated that Kronis was freed by Keldor from an intergalactic prison and that he and Scychor both were partners. They also escaped from Horde Patrol units on a Bola Jet, a vehicle from the NA era. It also would explain why they all wear the same armour parts - it's a uniform! So in my opinion it fits to make them part of the Space Mutants. As you can see in my picture below Kronis was once a chief engineer of the mutants.

Optikk
    It was never shown what he looked like under his armour. Inspired by Mattel's Space Mutants logo I came up with an eyeball with tentacles. I never heard of Shuma Gorath or the Dalek before that to be honest.

Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

Ha! When I saw the title of this post, I was like.... "you know what, I don't like what they did with Man-At-Arms and the whole Snakeman thing. I'm gonna be the one who mentions that!"

lol go figure, it's the very first post. The reason for even starting this thread. Too funny.

So yeah, it sucked. I didn't like it either. I'd change it. Don't care what to. Just something else.

I think the idea of a short-term temporary Snake Man-At-Arms is cool. Just not to the death. Maybe short-term, but with a lasting impact. While MAA is a snakeman, he does something really horrible in the service of evil, that reigns on for years to come. Always coming back to bite the recovered MAA in the ass.

HA! I think it would be easier for me to list the bios I DO like....which isn't many. One, perhaps. Beast Man.

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    HA! I think it would be easier for me to list the bios I DO like....which isn't many.
    Same here, but I will focus on the ones which irk me the most:

1. Hordak (real name is NOT Hector)
    Second born of Tyrannak (the first Horde Prime) and brother of Annilis (the second Horde Prime), he plotted a coup to overhrow and kill his brother.

2. Man-At-Arms
    After beeing under a spell by King Hiss for two years, creating various weapons for the SnakeMen (including Blast Attack), the combined powers of the Sorceress, Zodak and the FacelessOne, were able to break the spell and return Duncan back to normal.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

scaly 2014 Subscriber! Dragonblaster's Avatar
    My take on the SMAA story:

creation of SMAA

SMAA - inventor of Blast Attack

Salvation of Duncan

""HSSS!!! I'M GOING TO FEASSST ON YOUR FLESH!!!"
    "Teela quick! Use it!"
    Raenius had managed to trap his former mentor. He had digged his techno clamp deep into the rock behind the monster that once was Duncan. The snakeman struggled with all his might. But he wouldn't escape! Not this time! Too much was at stake!
    Teela quickly raised the golden snake ring over her father's disfigured face. The snakeman's eyes widened with fear as he spotted the artifact.
    "NO!!!", he screamed, panicking. He reinforced his struggle, but to no avail - Clamp Champ wouldn't let go. The artifact felt heavy in Teela’s hand, as it began to emit a green glow. It trembled and a strong force began to pull at her arm. The monster screamed and contorted in pain as the green glow began to rip on it’s body.
    "Father hold on!", Teela pleaded sorrowfully.
    For a moment it seemed like the snakeman was winning. His eyes glowed red with evil. But then his scaley traits slowly began to soften.
    "It's working! It's leaving him!", Raenius exclaimed reassuring.
    After what seemed like hours, the struggle had stopped. Duncan’s body was hanging limp between Clamp Champ’s weapon and the rock.
    “Father?”
    Slowly the weakend man raised his head.
    "T....Teela...?"
    Teela smiled - her eyes filled with tears.
    He was back! Duncan, her father had finally been saved!
    Raenius carefully released his mentor from the grip of his techno clamp and picked up the snake ring that Teela had dropped. With another look at Duncan he activated the hydraulic mechanism of his clamp. The artifact was destroyed. “Never again”, Raenius thought, with a satisfied smile on his face.
    Press down on dragon's head. It will bite off your frickin' fingers !!!

I, for the most part, don't actually mind the bios. The real names can get pretty silly, but they can be fun little reads, and most of them are harmless (although that's often because they don't say as much as they probably should). That said, I'll say the things that do bother me, even if they've already been covered.

1. Both Man-at-Arms' transformation into a Snakeman and his death. The former really feels like a deus ex machina on the part of the villains to me. So the Snakemen just have some artifact that can easily and permanently not only change someone's species, but make them completely evil? Why don't they just use it on everyone and instantly win? And then it's out of character and totally not in the spirit of the franchise to force the heroes to kill him like that. They barely even kill the villains, let alone ensorcelled heroes. The heroes can save Man-at-Arms from being turned to glass, but not him growing some scales? Even in a fantasy world, that's just absurd.

Man-at-Arms is a character that both deserves and is just asking from a meta standpoint to eventually retire and be a cool old mentor spending his last years fishing like Dekker. Masters of the Universe isn't, and I don't believe ever should be, the kind of gritty story that would deny a character like him a satisfying send-off. Like I said, I don't like the transformation plot to begin with (and not just in MotUC), but even if I let it slide, I'd still make it where he's saved and is some cool, retired hermit or royal advisor in the Son of He-Man era. The only way Duncan should ever prematurely die is willingly for some game-changing heroic sacrifice.

2. Teela and the Sword of Protection being clones. No offense to clones, but I feel this really takes away from Teela and Adora as individuals. Of course it doesn't prevent Teela from having Duncan as a father figure, or for her to grow in her own direction, but I still feel it robs her of a measure of individuality, and it also takes something away from the Sorceress as her mother and Fisto or whoever you think should be her true father. The Sword of Protection bothers me because it makes it feel like She-Ra is an afterthought. She was prophesized along with Adam, but apparently that didn't involve anyone actually preparing for her eventual existence. The Sorceress just kinda has to make it up when she meets Adora. That's frankly ridiculous.

With Teela, I would have just gone with Fisto as her father or leave it ambiguous. For the Sword of Protection, I would have made it where that was what the two halves of the Power Sword was all about. You could still have the old school plot about He-Man and Skeletor fighting over them, and Skeletor having one for awhile, but maybe he could hand it off to (or have it taken by) Hordak at some point, who Adora eventually acquires it from and reveals its true nature. The awkwardness of the Sword of Protection made sense in the 80s because She-Ra hadn't been thought of ahead of time. By now, any new He-Man story should plan its existence from the beginning.
    Last edited by Master Jokubas; March 2, 2014 at 04:50am.

Most of the POP ones. They either ignore Etheria completely or don't do it justice. Netossa loves exotic fashions, for example. We know little about the oppressed dictatorship she and the Rebellion are fighting.
    Most-wanted MOTUC: Granita - Hunga the Harpy - Spinnerella - Melaktha - Vultak - Dylamug - Crita - Mermista Sprag, Sprocker and Spritina

Quote Originally Posted by King Tamusk View Post
    HA! I think it would be easier for me to list the bios I DO like....which isn't many. One, perhaps. Beast Man.
    Ha! Very true.

I'd prefer the the bios if they focused on the characters rather than the story. Demo-Man's bio tells me practically nothing about him, it's all Skeletor. If they'd been more like the Transformers, G.I. Joe or The Outer Space Men bios, they would be a lot better.

Most of the "real" names are terrible/unnecessary. Klacky? Rebekkah Kettle? Squiddish Rex, really?

Off the top of my head the worst bios are:

Orko - changes a comic relief character (an important element of any story) into a Nibbler-esque spy, leaving him with no room to grow and evolve.

Demo-Man - says nothing about his origin, powers, or personality.

Snake MAA - kills him off one of the main heroes and makes me hate Clamp Champ.

Hordak - again nothing about his powers, or his rule over Etheria (the most important thing he accomplished).

BG Evil-Lyn - depowered, sent to the future, revealed to be married and have a son, plus she accidentally releases three archenemies (!)... there's just too much going on for the back of a toy package to do justice to. This type of stuff should have been saved for a comic, not blurted out here.

The problem with the bios as a whole is that they their story wasn't crafted by a professional writer…or even by somebody that was just really good at writing as a hobby.

The bios' biggest strengths shine through when they draw heavily on the established works of talented professionals that were actually paid to do this for a living (as opposed to managers that opted to write everything themselves to save a few bucks). :chagrin: When it comes to fleshing out story aspect that never saw the light of day (Snake MAA, reconciling the existence of both He-Ro and King Grayskull, figuring out how Etheria & She-Ra would fit into a post-King Grayskull, Hordak-banished-to-Despondos world), the writing falls significantly short. And when it comes to writing a narrative for a character that never really had much background information from which to pull…well, you better hope that that character is a favorite of the writer, because the effort (or lack thereof) is shockingly obvious.

That said, my top peeves with the bios are as follows:

1) I don't like that the women of The Great Rebellion are portrayed as pretty pretty princesses that are great friends and just happen to fight sometimes when they aren't having slumber parties.

2) Too much death without any consequence. The Sorceress died, Teela replaced her, and then what? It's been over a year and we still don't know what happens next. Clamp Champ kills Duncan and takes his job. How does everyone else feel about that? What happens to Eternos/Avion relations in the aftermath of Stratos's death? Et cetera, et cetera.

3) Project PHOTOG has nothing to do with Fearless Photog? Okay, that's just bad writing all the way around.

4) She-Ra is diminished (shocker!) by having her sword be a clone of He-Man's.

5) Too many typos. Really, guys. This is a professional production. One paragraph of text per month, you'd think someone could bother to read it before sending it to the printer.

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonblaster View Post
    Trap Jaw and Cy-Chop
    I simply added to Trap Jaw's and Cy-Chop's bios by making them original members of the Space Mutants. It was stated that Kronis was freed by Keldor from an intergalactic prison and that he and Scychor both were partners. They also escaped from Horde Patrol units on a Bola Jet, a vehicle from the NA era. It also would explain why they all wear the same armour parts - it's a uniform! So in my opinion it fits to make them part of the Space Mutants. As you can see in my picture below Kronis was once a chief engineer of the mutants.

Optikk
    It was never shown what he looked like under his armour. Inspired by Mattel's Space Mutants logo I came up with an eyeball with tentacles. I never heard of Shuma Gorath or the Dalek before that to be honest.

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...th-d6g4pw5.jpg
    I like the story and I LOVE that picture!! Very cool
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

A bio I don't like? I don't knw where to start...

But I love the posts in this thread so far! Awesome ideas!
    Awesome sticker included!

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    4) She-Ra is diminished (shocker!) by having her sword be a clone of He-Man's.
    This bothers me too.

There could have been a ton of better ways to explain where she draws her powers from, but cloning a non-living thing like a sword?? Bah.

It could have been so much cooler if She-Ra's powers came from He-Ro and He-Man's from King Grayskull, which would explain why she's got some magical powers of her own and the gemstone in her sword was actually a fragment of the top of He-Ro's staff.
    Maybe Marzo as an archenemy was the biggest thing to happen to Mekaneck, but as far as Marzo was concerned...it was Tuesday.

Lightning League Leader kylun flac's Avatar
    Quite a number of the bio's actually could have been better on complimenting the character than putting them down.
    Specially the treatment of the bad guys. I like my bad guys to be a treat & smart not simple minded brutes.
    Skeleton-Warriors, Ra-Jar, Lizard-Man, Spinwit, Rock Golem, Evil Seed, Lord Masque, Prahvus, General Tartaran, Hawke, Slob-Boar, King Agho, Hunga the Harpy, Sh'gora, Nocturna, Masks of Power Demons, Horde Wraiths, Crimson Fury, Lodar, Vizar, Angast, Negator, Snake Armor He-Man

Wun Dar.

His bio is the savage He-Man. The guy with the spear. The Goddess. His villiage in Tundaria in subternia is that little hut village.

Sure, it's the same guy. NO reason it shouldnt be. Except he's not blonde. and they did that Oo Lar thing.

But for my money, until they do an OoLar Wundar is the character in the events of that first minicomic. His bio basically explicitly describes it. If I made a change I'd only confirm this is the case because the bio speaks for itself as is. Hehe.

OH, and this is not so much a bio change as how I have always and will always understand MOTU. Duncan is literally Teela's biological dad, with The Sorceress being the biological mother. IT's how I understood it as a child. It's how it will always be for me. Anything that conflicts with that (which ultimately is minor, it doesnt come up often that this is not the case) is invisible to me.

Aside from the Teela-clone issue, I hate that her bio mentions in passing that she carries the Staff of Ka. Why? How did she get it? Here is my take:

When the twins of prophecy were born, the Goddess knew that she was no longer needed to train warriors to keep the halves of the sword apart from each other. Finally able to rest, she entrusted the Staff of Ka, which she had claimed from the Snake Men 5000 years earlier, to the Sorceress of Grayskull- and gave up her life, infusing the Staff with her essence.

Years later, the Sorceress sensed that her daughter would someday require the power of the Staff, and anonymously bequeathed it to her through Man-At-Arms.

After the twins left for the Tri-Solar System - taking the Power of Grayskull AND the spirit of the murdered Sorceress with them (dead but not gone!), Teela called upon the power held within the Staff of Ka to reignite her powers as Sorceress and the new Goddess of Eternia!

Also, the whole thing about the Goddess' trainees taking the title "He-Man" should have been left out. All of the ones we meet so far pretty much just used their own names, and I would prefer leaving that title for the main character.

Besides, it would be nice to leave the option open for some of those guardians during that 5000 years to be female. I don't know much about Illumina, but I thought it would be interesting if she turned out to be one of them.
    MELIAC in MOTUC! We need a mutant, alien, cyclops, reformed baddie, sheriff in the mix!

PLEASE ANNOUNCE DRAGSTOR SOON!

Heroic Warrior
    I have never been all that enthralled with the short shrift to which He-Ro has been relegated, now that King Grayskull has usurped his place in Adam and Adora's bloodline. Luckily, I had more than twenty years to contemplate his epic role in The Powers of Grayskull...
    He-Ro scroll!.jpg

Heroic Warrior
    Where would one even begin....?

Perhaps start by hiring a writer - not a brand manager with delusions of authorship adequacy - but an actual writer with command of grammar, spelling, syntax - and a clear and logical brain.

Then abandon all inane attempts to unite the various canons; it cannot be done - and it does not need to be done. Most devotees are not stupid enough to need to be told 'how it all fits together' - especially as it very plainly doesn't.
    This is why laughable ideas like time travel, cloning (people AND inanimate objects ...) gratuitous death and all the rest of the drivel get inserted.
    If the answer is always 'a wizard did it' then it's time to find a competent writer. There are at least half a dozen right here on this site - at a swift estimate - who would do far better than this.

'Keep reading the bios?' Er, no thanks. I can't stop laughing long enough to finish one.

It isn't even a heroic effort doomed to failure; it's just a terrible mess. And completely pointless, too.

These ouvres originated in different minds at different times for different reasons; they are incompatible. Just accept it - and use your imaginations.

All of them? The Bios and DR are the worst part of this line.