Thread: The Five Second Rule

Master of New Adventures!

The Five Second Rule

So I heard a comedian a few week's ago make a funny comment about The Five Second Rule. (For the uniformed, The Five Second Rule holds that if you drop an edible object to the floor and retrieve it in under five seconds, it's okay to eat it.) The comedian observed, "Yeah, all those legions of germs are just standing around with stop watches, counting it down -- 'Five...four...three...' -- before they pounce."

Pretty funny image.

So how about you orgers? Have you ever dropped something to the floor, picked it up and wolfed it down? And if so, exactly what was that tidbit that was so irresistible that you couldn't bear to toss it into the trash?

That is not the Five Second Rules as I know it. I worked in restaurants for over three years and the Five Second Rule in those instances refers to dropping something that is cooked then throwing it back on the grill or in the fryer for five seconds and the germs are killed. I'm pretty sure this was referenced in the move Waiting as well, though I could be wrong on that one.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

a certain word (which will remain unsaid by me) had compelled me to respond

the answer is NO for me

I go by the Zero second rule. In other words as soon as something has hit the floor it is spoiled and should be treated as such by placing it into the nearest trash at your earliest convenience (aka straight away instead of just leaving it there you filthy filthy ppl)
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Once it hits the ground, it's no good.
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Eh, depends on what it is. If I dropped a steak on the floor, there is no matter of time that makes it okay to eat. But if it were an apple or maybe a cookie - just brush it off. It's not going to kill you.

Not that I take wikipedia as the definitive source on everything, but they're on target a lot and I think they are in this regard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-second_rule

That said, I like your interpretation and as the creator of this thread I'm happy to expand it to stuff that drops on the floor in restaurants and is thrown back on the grill or the fryer. Excellent gross-out factor, my friend. Food workers feel free to chime in with horror stories.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    That is not the Five Second Rules as I know it. I worked in restaurants for over three years and the Five Second Rule in those instances refers to dropping something that is cooked then throwing it back on the grill or in the fryer for five seconds and the germs are killed. I'm pretty sure this was referenced in the move Waiting as well, though I could be wrong on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Heeeere's Olesker! View Post
    Not that I take wikipedia as the definitive source on everything, but they're on target a lot and I think they are in this regard: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Five-second_rule

That said, I like your interpretation and as the creator of this thread I'm happy to expand it to stuff that drops on the floor in restaurants and is thrown back on the grill or the fryer. Excellent gross-out factor, my friend. Food workers feel free to chime in with horror stories.
    It occurred MANY times in both restaurants I worked at.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Examples of the food, please.

Quote Originally Posted by RockinHard View Post
    It occurred MANY times in both restaurants I worked at.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Mythbusters did an episode on the 5 second rule, look it up
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

That may be where I heard the joke about the germs waiting around with stop watches. It's one of my children's favorite series.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Mythbusters did an episode on the 5 second rule, look it up

Some people I know have hands that are dirtier than my floor.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    After my trip to the Amazon I am no longer quite as paranoid about those legions of germs waiting to pounce as I used to be.

And even before that I have been known to eat things dropped on the floor. And never worried too much about any "five second" rule.

What?
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Heroic Warrior
    Dry food? Cookies chips etc, are fine. brush it off an keep going. Wet food? Steaks , chicken, something like that? I'd probably rinse it off first.

Honestly, I have an immune system designed to protect me from germs. I tend to trust it to do it's job

It's the five second rule... seven seconds... eleven seconds... ehhhh, it's still good.

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Some people I know have hands that are dirtier than my floor.
    Exactly! My floors are clean enough to eat off of. I keep them that way. Not because of the 5 second rule, but I've got no problem with not wasting perfectly good food. And the 5 second rule does not apply to chocolate. Ever.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    And the 5 second rule does not apply to chocolate. Ever.
    Not even chocolate pudding?
    "Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Southern-Fried Preacher Dave-Man's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    That may be taking it a bit to extreme, but if you really really needed your chocolate fix I suppose...
    http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...BadassPreacher

"Today's sermon topic: What is Hell? Come hear our choir!"

Quote Originally Posted by flutterina View Post
    Exactly! My floors are clean enough to eat off of. I keep them that way. Not because of the 5 second rule, but I've got no problem with not wasting perfectly good food. And the 5 second rule does not apply to chocolate. Ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by Benedict Judas Hel View Post
    As long as no cat hair is in it. lol.
    “Here's to the crazy ones. The misfits. The rebels. The troublemakers. The round pegs in the square holes. The ones who see things differently. Because they change things. They push the human race forward. And while some may see them as the crazy ones, we see genius. Because the people who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” ― Apple Inc.

This thread reminded me of a tshirt that woot sold a long time ago.
    fivesec.jpg
    I love He-Man.org!!!

I've heard many times that as soon as food hits the floor, it's contaminated. That being said, if the ground is an area that I personally trust for the most part, I don't have a problem picking it up and eating it. It all depends on the floor onto which it drops for me.