Thread: Crazy Summer Weather

hashbrown MotU VS. DC Andy Adams's Avatar

Crazy Summer Weather

This summer has had some crazy weather going on....tornadoes, rain, hail, and did I mention rain.

Wednesday my little town was hit by 2 tornadoes and I just got power back on today/late last night. No one was seriously hurt or anything but there's lots of tree and home damage. It wasn't quite like the one in Oklahoma but my heart really goes out to those folks affected by this.

It's still crazy around here trying to manage clean-up but I have noticed one good thing that has come out of it. our little community has come together. Neighbors helping neighbors, strangers helping strangers, folks just looking out for one another really is a touching feeling.

my house is mostly fine, damaged our big tree and the fence but that was pretty much it so i feel lucky compared to some others.

Here's a few pics of the carnage on my street and surrounding blocks.

Here's some more pics from the local paper
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...lery%2F4270461

and we didn't make national news but here's the local news reports

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d-by-storms%2F

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...p-continues%2F

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...ornado-strikes
    Bad times don't last forever but bad guys do ~ Razor Ramone

Been a horrible summer here in PA. The skies are always an off white (?). There's very little breeze. The level of moisture is what I would associate with prehistoric climates.

I've had a lot of respiratory difficulties as a result. Coughing spasms when I go outside, for example. I'm stuck in this dump for the rest of my life thanks to my dad--although that probably won't turn out to be a long time.
    "The better you get at this job, the more dangerous it becomes."

It sucks here too. Hot humid and when those two aren't happening it won't stop raining. I feel like I live in the tropics. I have a ton of misquote bites too. This summer sucks
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Being someone that grew up on a farm and still heavily involved in gardening, I am someone that spends a lot of time following the weather. Well, I can attest to this being a really crazy year for weather all around the US.

I wasn't able to plant my garden on time and ended up planting it about 6 weeks late due to early heavy rains and cold weather. We also opened our swimming pool about 4 weeks late due to colder than normal temperatures and we just went through a 2-week period starting July 1st where it was too cold and too raining to swim. We have also had flooding rains several times, 90-degree weather followed by a late freeze, tornadoes, 3 hail storms, and several long periods of up to 2 weeks at a time where it rained every single day.

It is indeed some crazy weather that I believe everyone around the country is witnessing. I just hope "Mother Nature" gets back on track sooner rather than later.
    As we express our gratitude,
    we must never forget that
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Phil, if I ever go to PA I prolly won't want to come back to Ohio.

I hope this rainy and humid summer doesn't lead into lots of snow in the winter.

We have 7 ft tall cornfields. They're only supposed to be knee high by forth of July. So how about your area?
    Last edited by Andy Adams; July 15, 2013 at 07:52pm.

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Being someone that grew up on a farm and still heavily involved in gardening, I am someone that spends a lot of time following the weather. Well, I can attest to this being a really crazy year for weather all around the US.

I wasn't able to plant my garden on time and ended up planting it about 6 weeks late due to early heavy rains and cold weather. We also opened our swimming pool about 4 weeks late due to colder than normal temperatures and we just went through a 2-week period starting July 1st where it was too cold and too raining to swim. We have also had flooding rains several times, 90-degree weather followed by a late freeze, tornadoes, 3 hail storms, and several long periods of up to 2 weeks at a time where it rained every single day.

It is indeed some crazy weather that I believe everyone around the country is witnessing. I just hope "Mother Nature" gets back on track sooner rather than later.
    Oh! I didn't know you grew up on a farm too I opened my pool late too. My pool guy couldn't come cause it wouldnt stop raining!

The farmers finally had their first cut of hay. They tried to do it in early June, but it rained and a lot of it got moldy. So this seems to be the first week to really cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    I hope this rainy and humid summer doesn't lead into lots of snow in the winter.
    HUSH! Do not say such things!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent Parker View Post
    Phil, if I ever go to PA I prolly won't want to come back to Ohio.

We have 7 ft tall cornfields. They're only supposed to be knee high by forth of July. So how about your area?

Hasn't rained here all that much. The moisture seems to stay in the sky (which is why the sky is always white).
    But everything's definitely overgrown. I've been cutting grass, trimming trees, and knocking down weeds almost daily for 3 months.

- - - Updated - - -

The moisture level dropped to a normal level today--but it was a steamer. I went up to the attic to organize all my boxes of figures and empty packagings. Took about an hour and a half. The sweat was just pouring off of me the whole time I was up there. Next time I'll turn the AC on in advance

They had spoiled hay around here too. Looks like a lot of farmers bailed today with some success this time. Beans were just drowned for the most part though.

Divs, forgive me mistress. I don't know what I was thinking, but I do wonder what the almanac says just to be somewhat prepared

Quote Originally Posted by Divia View Post
    Oh! I didn't know you grew up on a farm too I opened my pool late too. My pool guy couldn't come cause it wouldnt stop raining!

The farmers finally had their first cut of hay. They tried to do it in early June, but it rained and a lot of it got moldy. So this seems to be the first week to really cut it.

Yep. I grew up on about 100 acres (fruit, vegetables, hay, tobacco, etc). So, does that make you like me more? lol.
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by MOTU_Maniac View Post
    Yep. I grew up on about 100 acres (fruit, vegetables, hay, tobacco, etc). So, does that make you like me more? lol.
    Well, maybe just a little
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

Today was hot. Real hot. I went to the basketball court for an hour and was sweating hard. I came home and had to take a nap.

I've got a million little rash/itchy spots on my legs. They don' want to go away. Most of them I presume were from weed whacking. Summer takes its toll on us

It's kind of cold here at the moment. 66 degrees. It was colder this morning. Not a great day to wear shorts or a tang top.
    Last edited by Phil.Pastel; July 25, 2013 at 12:43pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil.Pastel View Post
    It's kind of cold here at the moment. 66 degrees. It was colder this morning. Not a great day to wear shorts or a tang top.
    Same here. Its around 70ish, but there is a light breeze no flippin humidity and the sun is out. I'll take it. these are the days I love.
    Obey the whip!

Smile like you mean it.

It's comfortable, but I'm still kind of not liking it. I need to move to Miami.

Heroic Master of Puzzles Thatman's Avatar
    Today is the first day I've felt human in a month, I think - it's cool and rainy. I know the temperature's going back up tomorrow, and I still have another five or six weeks of this whole bizarre "heat" thing, so I'll enjoy today while I can.
    "That's very interesting...but silly."

It is relatively cool here also. Too cool to swim in our pool, but I love these fall-like temperatures
    the highest appreciation
    is not to utter words,
    but to live by them.

~John F. Kennedy