Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SDCC Castle Grayskull won't be the final product, not even plastic - (CLOSE TO FINAL)

Quote Originally Posted by EagleOne View Post
    I believe that is only for Subscriptions that have a date on them (i.e. 2013 Club Eternia). This had a tentative release date, so I don't think it would be a legal issue if it slipped to 2014. I'd rather it be in 2014 if it means they get things right.
    Demo-Man shipped in the next year due to delays.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

two words: Tri-Pod!

If CG is taking longer for them to work on, I would prefer they take their time, even if it means the Castle doesn't release until 2014. The last thing I want is for them to rush this to get it out for Christmas, and I end up with an expensive pile of garbage on my shelf.
    Classics TGR figures should be Filmation-based, but they NEED MORE COWBELL!

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Nekk-ra View Post
    If CG is taking longer for them to work on, I would prefer they take their time, even if it means the Castle doesn't release until 2014. The last thing I want is for them to rush this to get it out for Christmas, and I end up with an expensive pile of garbage on my shelf.
    I agree with this sentiment. I know some folks want it under the tree for Xmas, for their kids, and that's a bummer if it doesn't happen, but I think it's a bigger bummer if the castle gets rushed and is sub-par as a result.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    On the one hand, if it slips to early 2014, that would probably be a good thing for a lot of folks wallets. Christmas is an expensive time even without a $300 castle in the mix. And if it is a result of the changes to improve the piece (I seriously doubt, though, that we'll be loosing the big hole in the floor for the wind Raider stand; that's apparently someone's darling at Mattel), then it is something I'd rather have happen than to go with something not ready for prime time.

On the negative side, though, it's another case where Mattel said something should be happening with the castle and it isn't. It's not a big problem in and of itself if what this not quite to the plastic stage model is the final word on what will and will not be included. In this case, "This is your Castle" would actually be a welcome declaration for most folks; we would finally know exactly what we are getting. If that isn't the case, and there is still room for Mattel to cut things or otherwise alter the castle in a significant way, then they do need to make sure that they extend the window for cancelling pre-orders until the final product is shown. If they do that, then the impact of the delay will likely be minimized.

Sadly, though, I think there will be some impact. The road to this playset has been rocky, to put it kindly. There have been a lot of folks who have felt that Mattel originally committed to one thing and then turned around and changed their minds, and there is a case to be made there. The relationship between Mattycollector and the fans has been strained for quite some time, and continued problems cropping up with the biggest offering Matty has ever put forth is not helping mend those fences. This year has actually been a fairly good one for Matty and DR, as there have been no major, widespread problems with service or quality control as we've seen in the past few years. The subs have been running fairly smoothly, and, as far as I know, the mid-year Filmation sub kicked in as it was supposed to with no major snafus. The problems with Grayskull may blunt the progress made in other areas, though, reminding some of the problems of the past. As I've said in the past, none of the individual problems we have seen in the line exist in a vacuum; this delay is but one thing in a long list for folks keeping score. Hopefully, what we see at SDCC will impress the majority of fans (if He-Man fits easily in the doorway, as it seems will be the case, that's going to be a major point for a lot of folks ), and the mood about the castle will brighten. And that will hopefully brighten the chances for the sub going through. My biggest fear is that a bad showing for Grayskull might sour folks enough to affect next year's sub numbers, so let's all hope Mattel wows us all around.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Well, I'll be getting one............ But MOTUC CG does gives me a lot of sour taste in my mouth !
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

They still have 5 months to get this thing out in 2013. If it slips to 2014, I really don't care. I just hope that the prototype 2.0 at SDCC looks impressive in person and they haven't cut anything else out of the playset.
    Last edited by Zodach; July 16, 2013 at 11:04am.

Why be upset if it isn't finished just yet? Don't encourage them to rush the finished product. I hope they take all the time they need and make Castle Grayskull, the best they can make it.
    Click on Amazon or Barnes and Noble for a free sample of my first book, Paradigm Shift Saga: Malediction!

A short story of monsters and magic!

Heroic Warrior
    So fans aren't able to see the final plastic product before the last chance to cancelling the item?

Heroic Warrior
    I heard they are going to change the final product to all cardboard. A pop up castle grayskull was on the table but tooling costs ran over budget.

Yeah man, if he said, 'completed product' there would be no room for enhancements/whatever. I take this as a good sign. Make it amazing, and I'll wait years if I have to!
    Please see my arts gallery here: www.pcpfh.wordpress.com Have fun browsing!

I say, take your time and do it right. I am actually glad they aren't rushing out such an expensive item. Also, don't forget that to lower the floor of CG, it practically takes a whole new sculpt and jaw-bridge design.

Who knows, they could be adding things, or adding back those lost two inches? In any case, I wouldn't mind if it ships in 2014. We will be getting so much great stuff in 2014 anyway.

Cannot wait to see the castle at Power-Con!

They make me want to cancel my castle more and more.
    Quote the Raven, Nevermore.
    It can't rain all the time.

"Live the journey, for every destination is but a doorway to another."

I actually think I would prefer CG slip to early 2014, December is already an expensive month with the holidays.

Quote Originally Posted by davidlogan View Post
    Why be upset if it isn't finished just yet? Don't encourage them to rush the finished product. I hope they take all the time they need and make Castle Grayskull, the best they can make it.
    When I think of delay.................... I remember Frosta !

She was improved dramatically during the delay period right ?
    Quote Originally Posted by TUC138 View Post
    Hey, I may not get my Filmation Skeletor, Filmation Teela, or Sorceress 2.0............ BUT, Some Day.......... Somehow...... Mattel will give me the another variants of these same characters ! However, there is very little chance for your Kayo, or Calix or Vultak or any of your desired characters if you fail to support the 2.0's & variants in 2016.... or in the future !

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    Conspiracy!

Would you rather they said that it wasn't final and that tiny changes can still be made than "This is your Castle people." I am sure he is just covering himself here, its no big deal. Let's wait until we see the thing and see the changes before we get pitchforks...
    But if it weren't for the mad rush to pitchforks, what good is these here Internets...
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Berserker79 View Post
    So fans aren't able to see the final plastic product before the last chance to cancelling the item?
    I really think they will extend the drop period; the whole idea of extending the deadline was to let folks see the finished product and decide. If they don't extend it, I think a lot more people might cancel than otherwise would due to the uncertainty.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    I really think they will extend the drop period; the whole idea of extending the deadline was to let folks see the finished product and decide. If they don't extend it, I think a lot more people might cancel than otherwise would due to the uncertainty.
    Yep... Close to final normally means to me plastic products... Extending the deadline would be the best method to keep many customers...

I'd rather they do it right and take their time and do it right. The fanbase ASKED for a few changes, and they're accommodating them. To turn around and complain AGAIN because they couldn't make the deadline is inappropriate. Of course they're missing the deadline, they're redoing the entire base!!!
    The fanbase has reached the point where the complaining has completely lost its punch. If we complain about everything, the real complaints are going to fall on deaf ears.
    I'm finding it very difficult to band with my fellow collectors on this round of complaints.
    Must Haves before MOTUC is complete! QUEEN ANGELLA! Mermista, Peekablue, Perfuma, Imp, Admiral Scurvy, General Sunder, Colonel Blast, Vultak, Clawdeen, Stridor, Nightstalker, Cat version of Catra METEORBS Gwildor, Saurod, Point Dread with Talon Fighter! Sagitar

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    The best option is for them to extend the deadline for cancellations. That takes the worry out.

I think people do need to manage exceptions. Anyone who thinks this delay is going to add tons of stuff (painted grate, tons of new accessories, height, sculpted inner walls, etc) is very likely to be disappointed.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by MLHumble View Post
    Yeah man, if he said, 'completed product' there would be no room for enhancements/whatever. I take this as a good sign. Make it amazing, and I'll wait years if I have to!
    Yes, because oil and factory costs just keep getting cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I say, take your time and do it right. I am actually glad they aren't rushing out such an expensive item. Also, don't forget that to lower the floor of CG, it practically takes a whole new sculpt and jaw-bridge design.

Who knows, they could be adding things, or adding back those lost two inches? In any case, I wouldn't mind if it ships in 2014. We will be getting so much great stuff in 2014 anyway.
    They are NOT lowering the floor. That Windraider base is TOO IMPORTANT! It's a very small toyline and doesn't have a LOT of resources.

Based on this latest delay, I am predicting the actual castles will not live up to even the reduced hype. People will act like they are the bee's knees, but I'll stick with my '82 Castle and save $300.
    Jeremy Soronen
    My Collection

I can't wait to get Castle Grayskull. I know it will be awesome. And it will be better than the vintage one.
    My seller/trader/buyer feedback:
    http://he-man.org/forums/boards/showthread.php?t=195461

MOTUC Most Wanted: 1) Stridor 2) Night Stalker 3) Roton 4) Dragstor 5) Saurod 6) Karg 7) Lodar 8) Mask of Power Demons 9) TC Skeletor 10) FF He-Man 11) Talon Fighter/Point Dread 12) Road Ripper 13) Lord Masque 14) Filmation Teela

Quote Originally Posted by Prahvus View Post
    "Amazing, amazing playset !"... but not final. So we actually CAN'T BE SURE AT ALL that the final product will be "amazing" and will measure up to what we were told.

More people will drop their CG pre-order, I'm afraid.
    I think when the final version is shown....there will be a spike in sales...there are quite a few people waiting to see the final version...and with the changes to fix the door etc...they will increase the DOS for the castle...and maybe even make some people sorry they jumped ship so quick...

If it isn't plastic yet, I wonder how much changing they did based on feedback...they changed the door...maybe they re-worked a few other things too...

There is going to be reveals for Ghostbusters too....that is surprising....thought it was done...YAY!
    COMPLETE THE COLLECTION !

MY Feedback Thread : http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=191572

Quote Originally Posted by CanadaClassics View Post

There is going to be reveals for Ghostbusters too....that is surprising....thought it was done...YAY!
    I smell a proton pack in the works.