Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #4 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #4 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

I don't have the issue yet, but some of us will download it before those who get their physical copies.

Discuss!
    Last edited by MegaGearMax; July 17, 2013 at 06:41am.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

I didn't like it one bit. Can't complain about the dialogue this time because there aren't that many lines to rag on and DC does really try to rectify their earlier mistakes but unfortunately the story reads like it's based on loose sand. We've had 10 issues so far and already it's a cluttered pile of contradictions. I wished that instead of gradually reshaping the mess Robinson and Giffen created, DC had opted for tabula rasa.

And He-Man reforging his Power Sword ... what a farce
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

An interesting issue. Initial reactions here (subject to change later, LOL)

The Mekaneck-Teela payoff was a bit less than what I was hoping. Plus it makes it sound like Mekaneck had his neck-apparatus already when he was six-years old.
    Loved all Axel Gimenez-pages. Spotted 3 fun eastereggs there already.
    He-Man forging a sword is what gives access to Powers of the past? Definitely a new take on how Grayskull will aid He-Man in times of extra-trouble but still...(and Secret of Grayskull looks like a big fire?)

Was a very quick read. I'll say that much.

I like this more and more love the scene where zoar prepares he-man and he later makes a new sword It keeps the series new and fresh

Woo hoo! He-Man has pants again! Not really getting all of the dialogue-less scenes between Adora and Teela. Still disappointed that Teela's a 1 dimensional rage monster. Also, doesn't really feel motu to me. Plus I miss the Sorceress being kind and supportive. Here, she's very aloof and callous.

But I do love the pants!

Quote Originally Posted by hopewell View Post
    Plus I miss the Sorceress being kind and supportive. Here, she's very aloof and callous.
    I think she's still upset that they killed her for no reason...

Despara (Adora), although tryna stay strong, is beginning to question her loyalties because of Teela and her(Adora's) "destiny". He-Man being guided by King Grayskull in forging the new power sword was interesting. I guess the Sorceress' presence will be that of a guide to both Adam and Adora.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    • Grayskull is looking more like the boxart with each issue. I'd say the renovations are going well...
    • Did Teela beat down a captured Twigget?
    • Teela declared herself Mekaneck's girlfriend and fought off his bullies for him? Since then, she's the only one who jokingly rags on him? It STILL sounded very mean.
    • The bridge in the Secret Chamber looks like the Power Sword hilt.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress • Evilseed (MYP)

Disenchanted Toy Hunter 80's Enthusiast's Avatar
    I actually REALLY liked this issue. The dialogue-less pages were pretty powerful. Dug the Twigget too.

I think this issue was the best yet, and look forward to the Sorceress returning fully, which we all pretty much know she will sooner or later
    Petition for IDW to revive Marvel's Transformers: http://www.petitiononline.com/tf81idw/petition.html
    Marvel's Transformers IDW revival Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/TF81fromIDW?sk=wall
    Marvel comics #81 is a reality through IDW and us fans its being created.....

I liked the issue I just wish it was longer. The last couple of issues were way to short.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Jukka View Post
    An interesting issue. Initial reactions here (subject to change later, LOL)

The Mekaneck-Teela payoff was a bit less than what I was hoping. Plus it makes it sound like Mekaneck had his neck-apparatus already when he was six-years old.
    Loved all Axel Gimenez-pages. Spotted 3 fun eastereggs there already.
    He-Man forging a sword is what gives access to Powers of the past? Definitely a new take on how Grayskull will aid He-Man in times of extra-trouble but still...(and Secret of Grayskull looks like a big fire?)

Was a very quick read. I'll say that much.
    What were the 3 Easter eggs?

Before I go back and read anything anyone else here says... let me start the slow clap.
    This. This is the first solid issue DC has produced since getting the license. If this is a sign of things to come, then I welcome "New 52 MOTU".
    I loved this issue from cover to cover... the only thing that "confuses" me is this: Mekaneck looks great in this series. He looks JUST like Mekaneck. So why, I wonder, some of the drastic changes for some (most?) of the other characters presented? Mekaneck escapes redesign, but everybody else does not... I'm not sure that's a complaint, but that's all I got for critiques in this issue. The writing was good, we have some characterization going on that doesn't make me want to tear the pages out... I'm just of the mind it should have happened from the get-go.
    I am warming to the He-Man redesign, and it's reveal and reason is better than- let's say for example, the way they handled Snake Armor He-Man's reveal in MYP. My only beef with it is, the grey harness part of the armor looks REALLY not at home with the rest of the armor. I guess if I were going to tweak it, I would have it so that it was more like the toy Battle Armor He-Man, instead of looking like a slightly larger version of the silver power harness put over armor (if that makes sense), I would have Battle Armor He-Man style from the chest up, and maybe in the same reddish brown as the rest of the armor so that the "H"/eagle hybrid logo was emblazened across the chest in a grander way.
    Other than that, I dig it. Especially the sword. It's redesign I find particularly clever.
    Oh, and put me down for a New 52 Prison Twigget figure PRONTO!
    Must-Haves in 2015: Lord Masque, Quakke, Sagitar, Negator, Peekablue, Granita, Dragstor, Crita, Prahvus, Classic Toy Costume Catra Vs. Starburst She-Ra

Ally of the Rebellion Robin Hood's Avatar
    Here’s my additional observations and speculation:

• Despara appears torn between her duty to her (adopted) father Hordak and to her childhood friend Teela. She is beginning to question all that she has held to be true.
    • Despara believes Hordak is her biological father and is unaware that she has a brother. She’ll probably be very emotional when she finally realises and accepts the truth!
    • The Sorceress informs He-Man he has a sister but he does not seem to comprehend who. Does he realise or is he just being a little slow to catch on? It’s not rocket science!
    • He-Man is shown the Secret of Castle Grayskull from which all things are made, his sword, Eternia, and the universe. This provides an explanation for why He-Man and She-Ra have the Power of the Universe. It also suggests that He-Man and She-Ra are potentially all-powerful and God-like with the capability of wielding any power in the universe to its maximum extent provided they can imagine the power and have the desire to fully utilise it. As a result, He-Man now appears capable of challenging and defeating the soul absorbing demi-God, Hordak that we see “In the origin of Hordak”.
    • There’s a nice nod to King Grayskull in He-Man forging his new sword in the same magical fires.
    • There are parallels to the She-Ra Filmation episode “The Stone in the Sword” where Adora travels through underground tunnels in Etheria to get to the “Cavern of Fire” and meet the “First Ones” who can repair her broken power sword.
    “You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete”
    Buckminster Fuller

Macduff, Scotland. United Kingdom of Eternia.
    I really enjoyed this issue. The newly reforged Power Sword looks brilliant.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post

What were the 3 Easter eggs?
    - Twigget
    - Grizzlor
    - SOTS-inspired early Horde Trooper head

This issue was amazing. The series gets better every month! We learned a lot about the Teela-Mechaneck dynamic, Despara was brilliant as always, and I think Teela may have some of that attitude bled out of her permantly. Love this new series! The art was amazing this time around as well.

This was by far the best issue yet. If they keep going in this direction I will be thrilled. Even the art seemed to be a higher caliber in this issue.
    IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN … INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Evil Master of Dreams skeletor73's Avatar
    Wow! I gotta agree with Zodak74. This is, to me, the first issue that actually had a solid storyline. There was character development with Mekaneck and Duncan speaking about Teela. (Maybe they are trying to make everyone like her by playing the sympathetic character underneath.) I must also agree how is the decision is come about as to what is iconic and what gets redesigned? There were several things that looked as they normally do. I thought surely Horde Troopers would get a huge make over. Huh...

My only beef was the terrible dialogue about Hordak being a vampire. Do vampire's even exist in Eternia? Anyway, I'll probably be stoned to death by purists but I didn't mind He-man's new armor and pants, so much. Color scheme is not where I'd take it but it's not the worst redesign ever. I also didn't really mind the re-forge of the power sword. Interesting concept. Really decent issue over all. Much better than the Origin-less steaming pile of crap we got for Hordak. Still peeved about that...

Edit -

One thing I just thought about. The re-forging of the Power Sword seems like a permanent thing. Does that mean this armor is going to be He-man's new look from now on? That may make some fans super angry. Just saying...
    Last edited by skeletor73; July 17, 2013 at 08:02pm.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Before I go back and read anything anyone else here says... let me start the slow clap.
    This. This is the first solid issue DC has produced since getting the license. If this is a sign of things to come, then I welcome "New 52 MOTU".
    I loved this issue from cover to cover... the only thing that "confuses" me is this: Mekaneck looks great in this series. He looks JUST like Mekaneck. So why, I wonder, some of the drastic changes for some (most?) of the other characters presented? Mekaneck escapes redesign, but everybody else does not... I'm not sure that's a complaint, but that's all I got for critiques in this issue. The writing was good, we have some characterization going on that doesn't make me want to tear the pages out... I'm just of the mind it should have happened from the get-go.
    I am warming to the He-Man redesign, and it's reveal and reason is better than- let's say for example, the way they handled Snake Armor He-Man's reveal in MYP. My only beef with it is, the grey harness part of the armor looks REALLY not at home with the rest of the armor. I guess if I were going to tweak it, I would have it so that it was more like the toy Battle Armor He-Man, instead of looking like a slightly larger version of the silver power harness put over armor (if that makes sense), I would have Battle Armor He-Man style from the chest up, and maybe in the same reddish brown as the rest of the armor so that the "H"/eagle hybrid logo was emblazened across the chest in a grander way.
    Other than that, I dig it. Especially the sword. It's redesign I find particularly clever.
    Oh, and put me down for a New 52 Prison Twigget figure PRONTO!
    Well said! Well said!

The sword looks similar to the 1987 movie sword.
    Visit me and be my friend...I like friends...LOL

http://www.facebook.com/MisterDeeJay2KX

Chewer of Trollans
    He-Man is on the cover, he gets a new costume, but he's not really the focus of the story. That said, I did like the focus, but the cover is misleading. He gets a costume we know nothing about even at the end. The spirit's voice was just a little too vague.
    Teela was finally who she should be in this issue. I loved her exchanges with Adora. Adora may be coming around a little too quickly.
    Anyway, I don't hate the costume, but I want He-Man's business to mean something. No hint of She-Ra yet...

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post

And He-Man reforging his Power Sword ... what a farce
    Would it have been better if the Sorceress just handed He-Man a device that gave him even more powers of Grayskull that no one knew about before? <--------- THAT would've been a gimmick used in a Saturday morning cartoon.

At least with the re-forging idea, it builds onto something that already was there to begin with. I'd figure the change in armor will get explained in future issues. And, if it doesn't, then I'll chalk it up to the fact that He-Man is engaging a new threat (since this is his first encounter with Hordak and the Evil Horde in this canon) and thus undergoes an outfit change to better protect him from the power of his new enemy. Same thing happened in the MYP cartoon when the snakes showed up.

As far as I'm concerned, this story gets better and better with each issue. The dialogue is quite better this time around, a bit more 'intelligent' I suppose you could say. The insight disclosed by Mekaneck should put to bed the idea that Teela is just a total *****(I know it won't for anyone who really wants to keep hating on the comic to hate it).

The hidden chamber in Castle Grayskull looked mythological, a shrine to Eternia's gods of ancient times. The duality between He-Man and King Grayskull's spirit as if they were one to re-meld the Sword of Power was a neat trick.

I still wish this comic was a weekly instead of a monthly. Waiting between issues is still hard to endure.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Would it have been better if the Sorceress just handed He-Man a device that gave him even more powers of Grayskull that no one knew about before?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    Would it have been better if the Sorceress just handed He-Man a device that gave him even more powers of Grayskull that no one knew about before?

At least with the re-forging idea, it builds onto something that already was there to begin with. I'd figure the change in armor will get explained in future issues. And, if it doesn't, then I'll chalk it up to the fact that He-Man is engaging a new threat (since this is his first encounter with Hordak and the Evil Horde in this canon) and thus undergoes an outfit change to better protect him from the power of his new enemy. Same thing happened in the MYP cartoon when the snakes showed up.
    It's not the forging itself I take issue with, because it's a common theme in mythology and epic literature that the hero obtains a sword that is especially forged for him (or reforged if it was broken), like in the Nibelungenlied for instance. I wouldn't have minded if He-Man's newfound strength had been channeled by the act itself and the connection with his ancestral spirit could have worked really well in that regard, almost like some shamanic communion or a rite of passage.

What I find ludicrous is that just by hammering the sword in a different shape, He-Man's outfit changes from a skimpy breastplate into an almost robotical tech-suit.
    "A knight is sworn to valor. His heart knows only virtue. His blade defends the helpless. His word speaks only truth. His wrath undoes the wicked."

http://www.redbubble.com/people/crusader

I've got to go back through it to find Grizzlor.

Really liked the issue. I'm definitely getting drawn into this series despite some of its major flaws.

A big fan of Slush Head
    Read it, nice issue. I hate the new costume I don't think it will ever grow on me.
    Short reads though. I hope these comics get better cause so far they've been ok but not good imo.

PS: Jukka we need to talk
    http://mikebock.deviantart.com/
    SLUSH HEAD FINALLY SHOWED UP IN MOTUC YAY!!!