Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #4 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

I think my favorite part was the convo between Mek & Duncan.
    Check out my MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ART & More at my ART BLOG!!!

JafariStew's ART BLOG!! UPDATED 7.21.14!!

MOTUC RECORD

NEW! MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE ORIGIN ART CARDS PART 4!!

"Revenge is like JAFARI STEW, it tastes best served cold..." ~SKELETOR (the Beginning part 2)

I really liked this issue. They get better every month. Giffen is clearly working his way out of the poo bag that was handed to him mid-mini.

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    I really liked this issue. They get better every month. Giffen is clearly working his way out of the poo bag that was handed to him mid-mini.
    I agree 100% with this statement.

I like DC goes into the mythology of its own MOTU canon, all that about the secret of Grayskull and these fires are the essence of all is really interesting.
    Last edited by heavy-eternium; July 18, 2013 at 12:21am.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG

Can anyone tell me where Grizzlor was in issue 4? I couldn't find him. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jrod View Post
    Can anyone tell me where Grizzlor was in issue4? I couldn't find him. Thanks!
    The page where Despara tells someone to take the slave twigget to the slave master. The twigget is handed over to a brown, furry thing.

While I didn't dislike this issue, it felt a little like a filler issue

Quote Originally Posted by Alleyezon4 View Post
    The page where Despara tells someone to take the slave twigget to the slave master. The twigget is handed over to a brown, furry thing.
    Thanks for the info!

This was overall a great issue. Not really a lot going on action wise, but the dialogue was really great and you are starting to see a turning point with Adora. While I don't like the "reforged" Power Sword, I do like the idea of He-Man essentially taking ownership of the Power of Grayskull. I can live with the costume change if it is indeed permanent, but I really hope the sword goes back to its traditional (and iconic IMO) design. I do really like the two tone look from the DC/MOTU crossover pic we were shown, so I'd be okay if the Power sword kept the gold/silver color scheme, but stayed with the original design

This issue was very, very good. I don't see how the new aspects can be complained about seeing how this is a different universe of MOTU. The forging of the sword is a much grander way to advance He-Man's armor than to just have it as a gift from the sorceress or the Powers of Grayskull. I really liked the idea King Grayskull possessed He-Man to help him. The Twigget was translated well, and the explanation for Teela hating Mekaneck was sufficient for me. This series is a great MOTU fix for me. I'd love to see this universe as a cartoon

Quote Originally Posted by wundarwarrior View Post
    This issue was very, very good. I don't see how the new aspects can be complained about seeing how this is a different universe of MOTU. The forging of the sword is a much grander way to advance He-Man's armor than to just have it as a gift from the sorceress or the Powers of Grayskull. I really liked the idea King Grayskull possessed He-Man to help him. The Twigget was translated well, and the explanation for Teela hating Mekaneck was sufficient for me. This series is a great MOTU fix for me. I'd love to see this universe as a cartoon
    Yes it would be profitable if mattel partnered with DC and WB to make an animated movie of the new 52 MOTU. I for one would purchase it.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    It's not the forging itself I take issue with, because it's a common theme in mythology and epic literature that the hero obtains a sword that is especially forged for him (or reforged if it was broken), like in the Nibelungenlied for instance. I wouldn't have minded if He-Man's newfound strength had been channeled by the act itself and the connection with his ancestral spirit could have worked really well in that regard, almost like some shamanic communion or a rite of passage.

What I find ludicrous is that just by hammering the sword in a different shape, He-Man's outfit changes from a skimpy breastplate into an almost robotical tech-suit.
    Well, it is Masters of the Universe. Most often, nothing is supposed to make logical sense. Most of the variants from the classic action figure line didn't make sense either. The cliff climber things come to mind. : P

Perhaps, considering it appears King Grayskull was helping guide He-Man's hand in altering the sword, that the change was pre-determined by King Grayskull and used as a key to access an armored suit from the bowels of Castle Grayskull for He-Man to use in defense against the Horde threat.

That idea was implied in the 'MOTU Vs. The Snake Men' story arc of the MYP cartoon when He-Man received the snake armor. In the episode with King Grayskull, the ancient king himself wears the snake armor in a scene. He-Man's version was perhaps modernized for that age of Eternia.

Same could go with He-Man's new armor in the comic canon.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

Heroic Warrior
    Well it is getting better, but that doesn´t say much.
    Teela and Meckanek: Oh boy. Even close friends should not tolerate this kind of *****ing. Maybe Teela protected Meck in their youth. Does this give her the right to constantly ***** about him or curse him to death. Definetly not. The explanation was very lame.
    As was the fact that Meckanek got his "abilities" as a kid? Really?
    A Twigget on Eternia? So the Horde are deporting their prisoners from Etheria to Eternia?? Needless Fanservice from my point of view.
    The reforging of the Powersword. So the great secret of Grayskull is what? A forge??
    Well it made kind of sense to channel the spirit of King Grayskull to combine his strength (metaaphorically) with that of He-Man. But the result? By the Power of Grayskull, I am Iron Man
    The SnakeArmor made sense ans it looked like a medieval Armor. But this abomination really looks like something Tony Stark could create.
    Bouns for Teela not *****ing much and for Despara putting that little brat in her place.

Eternian Music Master mikethedrummer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JafariStew View Post
    I think my favorite part was the convo between Mek & Duncan.
    I agree. That was a real cool read. Great issue!
    PS3 contact: InfernoSkeletor
    mikethedrummer's feedback thread: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=181087

Man I missed Grizzlor. I'm going to have to go back and look again.

I sort of wished the 'new He-Man outfit' wore his battle armor. I'm sure the design will grow on me but I really like the battle armor look.
    Right or wrong, buying a sub tells Mattel you want more MOTUC figures. Not buying does tells them you don't. Don't let MOTUC end early because you might not like their marketing strategy! Plus polls show you won't regret subbing!

One of the true fan minority - happy MOTU fans!

www.marveltoys.net - the source for marvel figure information.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by DarthKant View Post
    Well it is getting better, but that doesn´t say much.
    Teela and Meckanek: Oh boy. Even close friends should not tolerate this kind of *****ing. Maybe Teela protected Meck in their youth. Does this give her the right to constantly ***** about him or curse him to death. Definetly not. The explanation was very lame.
    As was the fact that Meckanek got his "abilities" as a kid? Really?
    A Twigget on Eternia? So the Horde are deporting their prisoners from Etheria to Eternia?? Needless Fanservice from my point of view.
    The reforging of the Powersword. So the great secret of Grayskull is what? A forge??
    Well it made kind of sense to channel the spirit of King Grayskull to combine his strength (metaaphorically) with that of He-Man. But the result? By the Power of Grayskull, I am Iron Man
    The SnakeArmor made sense ans it looked like a medieval Armor. But this abomination really looks like something Tony Stark could create.
    Bouns for Teela not *****ing much and for Despara putting that little brat in her place.
    I got the impression the prison wasn't on Eternia. It looks like Despara transported Teela to Etheria.

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    I liked everything with Despera and Teela, didn't really care for any of the He-Man stuff.

Why oh WHY do they keep stealing She-Ra's stories and giving them to He-Man?! This is almost a retelling of "The Stone in the Sword."

The jewel in She-Ra's stone cracks and she has to go below the Crystal Castle and do a series of trials before her sword gets fixed (MYP stole this story and gave it to King Grayskull). Anyhow, underneath the Crystal Castle she reaches the Cavern of Fire, where The First Ones fix her sword.

In this new comic, He-Man travels below Castle Grayskull to a fire pit, where King Grayskull (through He-Man's body) forges him a new sword.

I didn't enjoy this at all. Especially that the Secret of Grayskull is this big bonfire. I mean, really? What about the Star Seed or the crystal stuff from MYP or ANY of what has been written in the bios? Must they take yet another She-Ra story and re-write it for He-Man? It really stresses me out. She's losing her best stories and they're re-writing MOTU lore to make it kind of lame.

Teela:

So, everyone hates Nu52 Teela. This comic works on TRYING to fix it (Teela stood up for Mek, called him her boyfriend, she's the only one that rips on him now). Okay, sure. I will give them that because...I mean, it's nearly impossible to fix the monster ***** they have made Nu52 Teela. However, all of this is undone later in the issue. Teela beats the living crap out of a prisoner/slave who didn't even touch her. This prisoner says she has been their long term too. So, unprovoked, Teela bashes her head in. This woman who has been beaten, tortured, deprived of food and broken for many YEARS! Teela is more evil than anyone in this entire series, which includes this vampire God monster Hordak. Do the writers not see this?

Despera shouldn't have stabbed Teela, but...you know what? Maybe it will make Teela smarten up. Despera did to Teela what we all want to do to her.

Oh, also, this comic basically states Mek-A-Neck was BORN half mechanical. WHAT?! No...just no. Man-At-Arms fixed him after an accident, right? Geez...
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    So, everyone hates Nu52 Teela. This comic works on TRYING to fix it (Teela stood up for Mek, called him her boyfriend, she's the only one that rips on him now). Okay, sure. I will give them that because...I mean, it's nearly impossible to fix the monster ***** they have made Nu52 Teela. However, all of this is undone later in the issue. Teela beats the living crap out of a prisoner/slave who didn't even touch her. This prisoner says she has been their long term too. So, unprovoked, Teela bashes her head in. This woman who has been beaten, tortured, deprived of food and broken for many YEARS! Teela is more evil than anyone in this entire series, which includes this vampire God monster Hordak. Do the writers not see this?

Despera shouldn't have stabbed Teela, but...you know what? Maybe it will make Teela smarten up. Despera did to Teela what we all want to do to her.

Oh, also, this comic basically states Mek-A-Neck was BORN half mechanical. WHAT?! No...just no. Man-At-Arms fixed him after an accident, right? Geez...
    The Twigget was clearly provoking Teela. She basically told Teela that since she was a newbie she had to submit to her in order to survive in the prison. It was meant to be a threat.

Mekaneck wasn't neccesarily born with a mechanical neck.. Maybe he was born with a natural ability to stretch his neck or an abnormally long neck.. Later his neck was enhanced with cybernetic parts for whatever reason.

Quote Originally Posted by NagAAsi View Post
    The Twigget was clearly provoking Teela. She basically told Teela that since she was a newbie she had to submit to her in order to survive in the prison. It was meant to be a threat.
    Pretty much my understanding as well. I think people just need to learn to deal when it comes to Teela in the new DC canon. It's not Filmation Teela. She's not going to be bubbly, warm and friendly like that Teela. Even MYP Teela had a bit of an edge to her at times and I don't recall hearing much hate about her. Hating on 'New 52' Teela is about as silly as the Star Trek and Star Wars rivalries among the fandoms.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NagAAsi View Post
    By provoking, I meant she didn't DO anything to Teela. She didn't touch her, cause her any ill gains or anything. She just told Teela she was in charge and Teela bashed her brains in. That's extreme. Teela's KA-RAZY!

Mekaneck wasn't neccesarily born with a mechanical neck.. Maybe he was born with a natural ability to stretch his neck or an abnormally long neck.. Later his neck was enhanced with cybernetic parts for whatever reason.
    It's hard to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Hordak Alpha View Post
    I think people just need to learn to deal when it comes to Teela in the new DC canon. It's not Filmation Teela. She's not going to be bubbly, warm and friendly like that Teela. Even MYP Teela had a bit of an edge to her at times and I don't recall hearing much hate about her. Hating on 'New 52' Teela is about as silly as the Star Trek and Star Wars rivalries among the fandoms.
    I don't hate Nu52 Teela because she's not Filmation Teela. I have loved EVERY incarnation of Teela and I DID like Nu52 Teela in the very beginning of this series. I hate her now because of her terrible attitude, personality, the way she treats everyone around her, how she doesn't care about life (wishing Mek-A-Neck dead, telling He-Man to "Kill it!" referring to Adora, whom she even RECOGNIZES!), how she respects NO ONE at all. She's just plain awful and is more evil than any of the villains (save Skeletor, whom beheaded the Sorceress ). I find her completely terrible, loathsome, without any redeeming qualities. When you start to like her again (Teela/Adora flashback, Teela/Adora in the prison), Giffen has her do/say something so terrible, it just erases any humanity she was just previously given. Despera has an excuse as to why she's fairly cold, but she's still more kind that Teela! She also respects life! In her Digital Issue, she stopped the Horde from killing an innocent woman and child. The way Teela is written, she would have locked everyone in their houses and burned the village to the ground!

Also, there were people who hated MYP Teela, calling her a spoiled, teenage brat. I didn't feel this way, but I remember the Teela hate from back then. It was only a handful of people...not nearly the "universal" hate of Nu52 Teela.

I DO hope Dan Abnell can do something to make Teela more...human? Heroic? Likeable? I'm not fond of hating Teela.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    I DO hope Dan Abnell can do something to make Teela more...human? Heroic? Likeable? I'm not fond of hating Teela.

I'm sure there will be a reason why Teela is the way she is told to us in future stories. I still like her.
    (Hordak Alpha))

Just got the issue today (and the previous issue). It's an interesting read though I'm feeling that each issue doesn't have enough pages or enough story. Maybe it's a pacing thing, I'm not sure. I thought the revelation about the Sorceress' spirit was interesting. When we saw her killed I imagined that there would be some sort of fake out or twist, but I didn't quite picture this. I'd have preferred her alive, but then that could have just undermined writing her death in the first place. Plus the aspect of her continued existence being both a blessing and a curse is interesting to me.

Teela I think has calmed down relatively in the past two issues. She was still fairly nippy in the previous issue, but she doesn't seem as bad. Though admittedly given her situation, especially this issue, it would be expected that she wouldn't be quite as a pain to others around her. I thought the pay off for the Mekaneck issue was another interesting side to her character. It also sets Mekaneck at around the same age as her and Prince Adam. Who knows, maybe there could be a love triangle down the road for Teela, Adam and Mek? Y'know how we all love those? Right guys.... guys?

As far as the sword and armour forging goes. It just missed the mark for me. The build up of the new sword and armour wasn't that convincing and wasn't really explained and ended up seeming more like a toy advert. I like the new armour personally, but I didn't see a compelling reason as to why it's so special.

That's it for now. I'll probably say more later once I've had another flick through.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Despara stabbed Teela. She is pretty much the hero of the saga in my eyes.
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

My LCS(Hastings) dident have this issue.....

I take the new suit as an update of the power of Grayskull, a new form for harder times and more advanced in terms of technology.

He-Man was using the sword wrought by King Grayskull, perhaps for that reason He-Man looked like the king Grayskull and now with the sword wrought by him , his new look is the true form that Grayskull had reserved for him.
    Visit the MOTU LATINO site
    MOTULA.ORG