Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: He-Man and the Masters of the Universe Ongoing #4 Talkback Thread - SPOILERS

CRITAcal for MOTUC 2015!! Barezz's Avatar
    Despondos (Also known as outside of Granite City, IL)
    Also...I think the Twigget is male...
    It is spelled "Crita", not "Critta". Misspell her name and Crita will knock the "T" out of you!

Also...get her into the line!

Awesome "Yes Movement" avatar by The All American!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspecter View Post
    So, everyone hates Nu52 Teela. This comic works on TRYING to fix it
    Quote Originally Posted by skeletor73 View Post
    There was character development with Mekaneck and Duncan speaking about Teela. (Maybe they are trying to make everyone like her by playing the sympathetic character underneath.)
    I agree, I feel like Giffen must be listening to fans or reading the forums - this issue felt very much like a back-peddle to me. My favorite scene was the two page spread where Teela didn't talk - AT ALL. First time, she has kept her mouth shut. But maybe in the end it was Giffen's plan all along to grow Teela as a character. Maybe Adora and Teela's connection as children will help them both.

Quote Originally Posted by zodak74 View Post
    Mekaneck looks great in this series. He looks JUST like Mekaneck. So why, I wonder, some of the drastic changes for some (most?) of the other characters presented? Mekaneck escapes redesign, but everybody else does not...
    I noticed that too, but being as suspicious as I am - I wonder if Giffen really had no intention of working Mekaneck in to the story and was saying as much in issue 1, but now after all of the fan outcry he's changed his game plan?

Quote Originally Posted by bamf1980 View Post
    Giffen is clearly working his way out of the poo bag that was handed to him mid-mini.
    This is how I interpreted it. But, now I just looked up Keith Giffen as I wasn't familiar with any of his other work - did NOT expect him to be born in 1952. Now I feel bad for being so harsh on him. He's my Dad's age and probably knew nothing or could have cared less about MOTU before this book was handed to him.

Do you think he was actually interested in writing this book, or it was assigned?

I liked the Twigget. It appears that they're now taller.

Former fan fic writer Hordak Alpha's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    This is how I interpreted it. But, now I just looked up Keith Giffen as I wasn't familiar with any of his other work - did NOT expect him to be born in 1952. Now I feel bad for being so harsh on him. He's my Dad's age and probably knew nothing or could have cared less about MOTU before this book was handed to him.

Do you think he was actually interested in writing this book, or it was assigned?

I think people just need to start cutting him a little slack. Anytime I've read the name 'Keith Giffen' in any of the MOTU comic threads almost all I see is insult, insult, insult of some kind. Not all of the time, but a lot of the time. I saw the same over the first writer who wrote only ONE issue of the MOTU comic (last July) and then he mysteriously, suddenly quit and there was a two month wait until the next issue when a new writer was found.

We actually have to remember that these writers are indeed people and, while many probably don't really care what is said in online fan forums, perhaps some DO care and DO read these comments on occasion. And some may be very touchy and have their feelings hurt very easily. You just don't know anymore.

Now, if Giffen was taking the MOTU story into completely different territory where nothing is familiar anymore, having He-Man live in a space station, ride into battle on a space bear and jump around the universe where there is nothing but different characters left and right and the rest of the classic MOTU get killed off when Eternia explodes then, yeah, maybe there'd be reason to get on his case.

As it is, the new take on MOTU he's been penning may be a bit different, but it's still Eternia, still Castle Grayskull, still He-Man, still Skeletor, etc, etc, etc, etc.
    (Hordak Alpha))

BY THE POWER OF GREYSTONE! I am the power.

So He-Man ruins his own sword...greeeeeat. I don't have a problem with Geffin--it's Mattel behind this new direction/costume change, and it needs to change back.
    Check out my short film! www.AwardWinningTheMovie.com

My feedback: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...=125066&page=2

Awesome Traders List: http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...d.php?t=135253

The Cradle Will Rock As I'm Drivin' Down Highway 40 In My Big Ol' Pick Up Truck.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    I agree, I feel like Giffen must be listening to fans or reading the forums - this issue felt very much like a back-peddle to me. My favorite scene was the two page spread where Teela didn't talk - AT ALL. First time, she has kept her mouth shut. But maybe in the end it was Giffen's plan all along to grow Teela as a character. Maybe Adora and Teela's connection as children will help them both.

I noticed that too, but being as suspicious as I am - I wonder if Giffen really had no intention of working Mekaneck in to the story and was saying as much in issue 1, but now after all of the fan outcry he's changed his game plan?

I think the backpeddling is Mattel, not Giffen's doing himself.

I think that it was Mattel who backpeddled on Teela's hair, her costume and now they've tried to explain her behavior toward Mekaneck. I do think that Teela's attitude was being set up to improve later on from the get-go.

If the fans constantly complained about wanting the characters to match the toys, then all of the characters might revert to their original looks too.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Anyone noticed the SHE-RA tiara shaped flame?

photo.jpg

Jessica Drew (Spider-Woman) is back!! Crow's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post
    I think that is actually supposed to be the "H" symbol from Battle Armor He-Man's chest which the new comic has changed to mean as the symbol for Zoar/The Sorceress
    Crow T. Robot
    "Mike, what the hell is this?!"

"Into the sea of waking dreams, I follow without pride"---Sarah McLachlan Possession

Quote Originally Posted by Crow View Post
    I think that is actually supposed to be the "H" symbol from Battle Armor He-Man's chest which the new comic has changed to mean as the symbol for Zoar/The Sorceress
    Yeah they put extra effort to made it look like the vintage "H" symbol.

I hope we aren't headed into 200X territory from an aesthetic standpoint. I think 200X designs are absolutely abominable. If He-Man's power sword starts to resemble that hacked together, junky, monstrosity of 200x, I will riot!

Something tells me though, that when the Sorceress returns, she will be the crappy Egyptian one.

Quote Originally Posted by sirsniffy View Post
    I hope we aren't headed into 200X territory from an aesthetic standpoint. I think 200X designs are absolutely abominable. If He-Man's power sword starts to resemble that hacked together, junky, monstrosity of 200x, I will riot!

Something tells me though, that when the Sorceress returns, she will be the crappy Egyptian one.
    I don't think we have to worry about that. I doubt they would change the power sword yet again, especially not to something more convoluted. Though I like many of the 200X designs I do find myself appreciating one or two designs less these days. The 200X power sword being one of them.

Also I notice it looked a bit odd when I received my copy of the comic. I didn't realise at first that they changed the sword on the cover from what it was in previews. I was asking myself "did I really like that as much as I thought I did?", but then realised it was actually different. In my opinion the sword in the preview cover is just perfect. The new power sword isn't really an eyesore to me, but it doesn't compare to what was in the preview.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearMax View Post
    I think the backpeddling is Mattel, not Giffen's doing himself.

I think that it was Mattel who backpeddled on Teela's hair, her costume and now they've tried to explain her behavior toward Mekaneck. I do think that Teela's attitude was being set up to improve later on from the get-go.

If the fans constantly complained about wanting the characters to match the toys, then all of the characters might revert to their original looks too.
    Is it actually backpedaling though? I mean the hair colour did come off as very meta in the first issue, but couldn't it be possible that things like Teela's attitude to Mek and her attitude in general will progress naturally in future issues as part of the story? I'm just wondering if we're going to be dismissing a lot of progression in the comic as 'backpedaling' if they are things some fans initially had problems with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandman View Post
    I hate you. So much.

In regards to my speculation on who Teela's real father is.

By the Power of Grayskull....I have the pants....er POWER!

He-Man in a battle suit???? Come on, I knew it was coming, and I'm still amazed by it.... A Battle Armor, as in, Battle Armor He-Man would have sufficed....not this....but still looks better than NA He-Man does....

This took 15 minutes of elapsed time and in turn wasted mine.... they could have summed up this whole issue in 4 pages, and moved the story with the rest of the book....next we have Adora pouting over doubts that Hordak is her Daddy....

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by demiscy View Post

photo.jpg

That's the He-Man "H" not anything She-Ra....
    Recent....Flutterina, NA Skeletor
    Coming....Rio Blast (sold already)
    Wanted....Entrapa, Light Hope, (A real) Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!