Thread: Mattel's recent lack of profits made the news...

Hybrid View

Mattel's recent lack of profits made the news...

My television was playing in the background today, and did I double-take when I heard Mattel referenced on the news. There was an entire report focused on them, though it was brief. It stated that sales of Barbies are down, and Hot Wheels has plateaued, profit-wise. Do you think the company is hurting, and do you think this will affect their plans for MOTUC, something which seems to be a decent seller?

There's probably a report online somewhere that goes more into detail about their profits, but I'll leave it to others to locate...

Well, this probably helps explain why they're still cutting Grayskull back to save money.

Kids are too busy reproducing and smoking crack to play with Barbies nowadays
    MOTUC: What we need NOW:
    KARG, Eldor, Horde Troopers, NA Skeletor, Sagitar

HAAAAAAAAAPPYYYYYYYY..... Prince Adam's Dad's Avatar
    Toys in general are on the downslide with things like tablets becoming commonplace. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to hit dolls and cars. Action figures sales have been suffering for a while now.

And no, I wouldn't be surprised one bit if they are cutting more from CG. And I can see issues with the line as a whole coming. More cheap plastic, fewer accessories/heads, among other cost cutting measures. I'd be surprised to see the DC sub continuing, as well.

And no, I'm not 'Chicken Littling' this. If the profits for the company as a whole are down, they will undeniably tighten belts.
    Got Man-E-Faces, Give 'em Whiplash when I Battle-Cats

Mattel is still doing very well. They haven't had much growth (if any), but they're still the number one toy company. Now Hasbro and Lego (especially Lego) have been doing well. Actually at the rate Lego has been growing, the think it could have the possibility of surpassing Mattel. Now this is because the have amusements parks, etc. You have to think though. Mattel is a toy company. Toys are not a need, but a want. The economy is in the crap shoot at the moment and families have to cut wants for needs. Of course a toy company is going to be harmed a bit. When the economy straightens up I'm sure Mattel will have a boom in sales again. This is also the dead season. When it gets close to the holiday season their sales will rise again.

Quote Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
    Mattel is still doing very well. They haven't had much growth (if any), but they're still the number one toy company. Now Hasbro and Lego (especially Lego) have been doing well. Actually at the rate Lego has been growing, the think it could have the possibility of surpassing Mattel. Now this is because the have amusements parks, etc. You have to think though.
    I don't know much about Harbro, but LEGO is doing great because they've been doing it right since the early 2000s, better plans, interesting themes, a lot more variety of specialty bricks and colors, better promotions, and still maintaining the high quality LEGO is known for. Also, the LEGO adult/teen thriving communities are pushing the standards of designs and customs perpetually to higher levels by the minute, thus promoting the LEGO brand effortlessly, and indirectly pushing the LEGO Group to accommodate people's demands with better products all the time. Creativity and imagination is what sets LEGO above the rest, even though it's considered an expensive toy for most.
    Epic Metal music rocks the universe.

Mattel is a brain dead dinosaur compared to Lego, a forward thinking company with intelligent strategies and vision for the future. Mattel got lucky a long time ago with a doll and a car and have been riding them.

Mattel's failure to capitalize on the video game and filmmaking industries has hurt them in comparison to Hasbro and Lego (not to mention the theme park issue brought up earlier). If they don't correct this soon, I would expect them to fall below both sooner rather than later. Lego is more popular than when I was kid, and I bet a big part of that is Lego Star Wars, Lego Batman, and all the other properties they have built traditional toys and video games off of. Just plain old toys aren't enough. Kids are more sophisticated - you need movies, cartoons, video games to drive the toy sales.

You need properties with strong story telling vehicles. Mattel has no clue when it comes to developing anything with a storyline. As great as MOTU is, the storytelling in the property has been scattered, incoherent, inconsistent, derivative, and driven by money men rather than creators (ahem TG).

Mattel's big wigs aren't visionary enough to compete. And they are inept at implementing strategies outside of Barbie and Hot Wheels. There should be at least 2 successful MOTU movies by now. Hot Wheels should be the Madden of car racing video games. Potential wasted - everywhere. Mattel needs to learn from Borders book stores (who are now gone in part because they got in late on the e-reader market and couldn't compete with forward thinking Amazon) and get in on other markets before it's too late. Plastic is more expensive by the day. Labor too.

Quote Originally Posted by karg182 View Post
    Kids are too busy reproducing and smoking crack to play with Barbies nowadays

you forgot about texting, sexting, tweeting, twittering, twaddling, xboxing. who has time to watch cartoons and collect toys anymore?

Quote Originally Posted by Ridureyu View Post
    Well, this probably helps explain why they're still cutting Grayskull back to save money.
    more cut backs? Sigh..what now?
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyBoy View Post
    My television was playing in the background today, and did I double-take when I heard Mattel referenced on the news. There was an entire report focused on them, though it was brief. It stated that sales of Barbies are down, and Hot Wheels has plateaued, profit-wise. Do you think the company is hurting, and do you think this will affect their plans for MOTUC, something which seems to be a decent seller?

There's probably a report online somewhere that goes more into detail about their profits, but I'll leave it to others to locate...
    Eh, it depends on a lot of factors. Are they quarterly results or projections? Is it a reduced net profit or a net loss, is there a net loss but positive cash flow? Are they setting themselves up for an impairment on an inangible by having a negative future expected cash flow?

I don't fee llike going through their financials at the moment, but there are a lot of things to consider. Most of the external stuff only pertains to capital providers anyway.
    Ask not for whom MOTUC is made, it's made for thee.

If you have to disclaimer your like, then you don't really like it.

IT'S TIME FOR MOTUC TO GO GREEN INCLUDE THE TWIGGETS IN 2015!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Swifty View Post
    uh oh... well that has me slightly worried.

Evil Apologist of Mattel Count Marzo's Avatar
    The answer is a She-Ra Barbie!!! I'd buy a damn Barbie then!
    -=EvilCuntMarz=-
    BLK FLWR!!!!

Time to make Barbie as Scorpia, Octavia, Catra and Entrapta dolls.

Quote Originally Posted by Count Marzo View Post
    The answer is a She-Ra Barbie!!! I'd buy a damn Barbie then!
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."