Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Standor Discussion Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post

Stan Lee will endorse pretty much ANYthing so... not a good sign if Classics is trying to get a boost with a Stan plug.
    Good thing this isn't anything to do with endorsing.

SNARRRLLL's biggest fan! MISSILE-TOE's Avatar
    So, STANDOR is a god who has infinite energy and reaches out through dimensional gateways...

Guess we now know who God Skeletor got his powers from...

MOTUC WISH LIST
    : SNARRRLLL:

Stan Lee is the Mary Sue of MOTUC!

I actually think he's kinda neat-o, though. Looks crazy, but I guess as an ancient deity, he might be.
    Not to sound like a creepy cheerleader for Uki, but it's nice to know there is at least one person on this forum who is extremely positive & friendly all the time. I don't think I could be that nice even if you paid me. If we ever give out awards for "forum member of the month", Uki gets my vote. -Mr. Shokoti

Subscribe for MOTUC 2015!!!

Heroic Horde General Canada-Man's Avatar
    Displaying him as a baddie without the glasses...maybe john spector could use the glasses...lol

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    How does it look silly? Should it be serious looking like Mantenna and Two Bad?
    Lets just say he's in a world of his own.

Evil Overlord of Spandex CptSpandex's Avatar
    I LOVE all the reveals this weekend, except one... this thing. I hate Standor. Stan Lee? Really??

Heroic Warrior
    Is there a picture anywhere of Standor wearing the helmet but not the glasses?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Skystalker View Post
    Is there a picture anywhere of Standor wearing the helmet but not the glasses?
    There I go, quoting myself

I just saw what I was looking for on the Fwoosh: http://thefwoosh.com/2013/07/sdcc-2013-mattel-sunday-updates/dsc_0105-3

Standor actually does not look bad as a MOTUC figure. I guess the only thing is that it's hard to look at him without the helmet and think "That's Stan Lee on my shelf." But would we think the same if Stan Lee was a nobody upon whom the figure is based? Would we care? Probably not.

It is cool that they made him a creator-type in the MOTUC universe. After all, he did create the Marvel Universe (with Kirby, of course).
    "Mattel's policy of things being seen as a failure if they don't sell out in minutes still annoys the hell out of me." — .org Member paulioscorchio

Enjoy my articles on action figures, Christianity, and much more on Infobarrel.

Heroic Warrior
    Making a figure (thus, a sculpture of sorts) wearing the exact resemblance of Stan Lee was bad enough. Giving this figure the status of a god in the bio amounts to what is biblically described as IDOLATRY. This bio is one that I particularly dislike. The same goes for the figure, by the way...

After further review, I like everything about the figure (especially the armor) except the old-man Stan face sculpt. I wish the helmet had a face plate to cover it or an additional non-Stan head included. "Gods" don't wear glasses or groom their facial hair into a mustache.

Maybe this is finally a use for that Faceless One head?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote Posted from iOS app

I think this figure is great, but I like satire and silly things (yes I do like Mo-Larr the Galactic Protector of Enamel, now you know where my pink zodac armor is ). I just hope that this turns into some cool new toys.

And he will probably go with Procrustus in my newly formed gods of Eternia section. If I can get one. But he will be the god of bifocals, not creativity in my world.

I just wish they had given him a different skin color.

Heroic Warrior
    Quote Originally Posted by csc0709 View Post
    I don't understand why we had to have a vote between Huntara and Masque because they couldn't fit both in the road map of 2014/2015 but we have room for this Standor fig? Please something is horribly off here. I mean this utterly ridiculous.
    A figure commemorating soneone who lorded over a successful brand, taking credit for almost all output and being found out on many fake claims over the years.

Snappy Threader
    Cool looking figure, but it isn't for me. Might pick one up for customizing but idk, it just gives me a weird vibe for some reason.

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar
    What does POW media do? Or more specifically, what can POW Media do for the MOTU brand?

As for Standar, I personally don't like the character idea and I don't think I'll get him. I think he's one of those business venture figures--do something for TG and MOTU and you get an honorary figure, just like Geoff Johns (MOTU gets comics again) and Seth Green (had Classics on Robot Chicken and promoted Mo-Larr). If I were a video game company that could get MOTU a PS3 game, would I get a MegaGearMax Classic figure? Would TanyaTate get her very own character figure because of the Funko stuff? LOL!

Now imagine if TG had honored someone with a figure who actually did something for MOTU historically. Draego-Man was unquestioned since it was the 4H and we KNOW what they've been doing for the brand. Lou Schiemer, Larry DiTillio, Dean Stefan, Larry Houston, Jack Olesker, Lee Nordling, John Erwin, etc. I guess my major criticism is that we cannot immediately see the benefits of these possible future business ventures...I see guys who have nothing to do with MOTU (at first anyway) getting these honorary figures.

The Blonde Teela (Battleground and Alcala Teela) Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn (The Real 200X Evil-Lyn) Thread
    MegaGearMax's 200X/MYP Screen Grabs

Sagitar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Prince Adam • 200X Sorceress
    Sssqueeze • Angella • Perfuma • Evilseed (MYP)

Heroic Reviewer of MOTUC Pixel Dan's Avatar
    Val and I talked to Scott a bit about the agreement with Stan. Scott doesn't actually know the extent of it, I guess. Apparently the agreement with Stan is between Mattel as a company and Stan's people, not directly with MOTUC. Mattel asked Scott to put Stan into the MOTUC line to "commemorate" the agreement. I think it was a wish of Stan's people.

So aside from this figure, I don't think this agreement has anything to do with the MOTUC line.
    For toy review videos and more, visit Pixel-Dan.com!
    SUBSCRIBE to me on YouTube! YouTube.com/Mandalorian30
    Latest MOTU Classics Videos:

Quote Originally Posted by JonWes View Post
    Good thing this isn't anything to do with endorsing.
    Er.. what about it is not an endorsement? It is entirely about endorsement and nothing else...

They made a deal to include Stan Lee in their product. It's just a variation of the George Forman grill.

Defender of the Underdog He-Dad's Avatar
    Er.. what about it is not an endorsement? It is entirely about endorsement and nothing else...

They made a deal to include Stan Lee in their product. It's just a variation of the George Forman grill.
    If only Standor could cook that well...then my wife would want him as much as I do!

The only endorsement might be Mattel endorsing Stan Lee.

True. Regardless of whether Stan profited off other's hard work, he is certainly a savvy businessman.

It's a great figure that quite a few fans will want to purchase. It didn't come out of the MOTUC budget and no one is obligated to purchase one. I have a difficult time understanding how anyone could view it in a negative light.

Yes. Maybe. It's a partnership that Mattel is commemorating with a figure, not an endorsement from Stan Lee.

Heroic Warrior Orko's Magic Hat's Avatar
    OK, I was against the figure when rumours first surfaced but after seeing him. I really like him. The figure is understated and I like his has this god-like/elder vibe about him.
    MOTUC WISHLIST- Karg ~ Crita ~ Despara ~ Fang-Or ~ Kittrina ~ Darius ~ Veena ~ Lodar ~ Hunga The Harpy ~ Great Black Wizard ~ Staghorn ~ Lady Slither ~ Artilla ~ Ra-Jarr ~ Major Header ~ Vultak ~ Evilseed ~ Prahvus ~ Queen Andreeno ~ Crimson Fury ~ Kex Queen ~ Hawke ~ Red Beast ~ Angast ~ Delora ~ Quakke ~ Lord Masque ~ Lizzor ~ Zilora ~ Three-Beast ~ Robowoman ~ Bubblor ~ Sagitar

http://geek-news.mtv.com/2013/07/24/...-universe-toy/

So envious of that glitter-infused plastic. Why couldn't the Star Sisters get this? *sniff*
    "My favorite Harry Potter movie is Troll."

I still say "Standor" sucks as a name. I could get on board with "Excelsior".

Quote Originally Posted by markatisu View Post
    damn those guys were one of the few things I loved about that movie. foe me I really did the standar figure tho the name sucks. maybe lee-ro would be better lol this could be mattys idea to test the waters on RL head sculpts so to see how movie characters woukd translate

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snakeeyes0217 View Post
    After further review, I like everything about the figure (especially the armor) except the old-man Stan face sculpt. I wish the helmet had a face plate to cover it or an additional non-Stan head included. "Gods" don't wear glasses or groom their facial hair into a mustache.
    Met a lot of gods, have we?

The bio is easily read as a creation myth, like many on Earth. It was always at least hinted at that the Ancients or First Ones (who were once referred to as the "founders" of Etheria) were in fact what we would call ancient astronauts. If such "gods" were extraterrestrials, and the Eternians and Etherians are, in fact, their descendants (or genetically altered in their image), then it's reasonable to assume that the ancients were humanoid, and may very well have had human features like us (the poplular image of the Judeo-Christian God is a man with a well trimmed and kept white beard and mustache, so that sort of thing has a long history in the presentation of dieties). As for the glasses, they may have actually been goggles of some kind, and this was the closest interpretation those who later tried to represent him could come up with. Or the goggles could have simply looked just like that.
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

As time passes the final thoughts and feelings towards the revealed figures settle.

And i've settled with this one, an absolute easy pass.