Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch for the 2014 Chase Figures: You Never Know When They値l Appear!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

Watch for the 2014 Chase Figures: You Never Know When They値l Appear!

Last year we introduced the first ever MOTUC 田hase figure, Spirit of Hordak. Fans never knew when he would pop up for sale, adding even more excitement to toy collecting. This year we致e got the perfect choice for our 2014 chase figure Loo-Kee, the master of hide and seek!

This member of the Conceal species arrives packaged with Kowl, the Eternian know-it-all. Just like last year, fans won稚 know in advance when these two will appear. What we can tell you is that they値l be available only to subscribers during Early Access in our 4/15 sale, and again only to subscribers during Early Access in our December sale. The rest of the year they値l pop up unannounced several times, giving all fans the chance to purchase them. These appearances will not be publicized whenever this special logo appears in the Shop, they池e available for sale. (But act fast, because they could disappear just as quickly!)

What痴 the moral of this story? It pays to keep your eyes open and watch for these 2014 chase figures!
    Sometimes I think TG has a peculiar sense of fun...

Discuss!

Gotta love that "Eternian know-it-all"
    formerly wayneepoo, now with better name!

Most Wanted (Remaining)
    Vintage MOTU: Blast Attack, Dragstor
    POP:Angella, Mermista, Peekablue
    NA:Tuskador, Quakke, Sagitar
    Filmation:Lizard Man, Dylamug, Vultak
    But in reality I want them ALL!!

Here we go...again !

Don't think it was written by Toyguru, it says by Tara Z on facebook. Regardless though, I agree Scott seems to have a strange sense of fun. I still love the guy though.

I wish folks who want these guys luck in finding them. I am sure it will be an effective way of increasing hits on matty collector
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**

Illumina & Cat please! Darkspecter's Avatar
    Interesting that this mentions Loo-Kee is a Conseal (like Filmation), whereas his bio calls him a "Cherub Imp". I guess this is because of fans blasting him over that? Also, Kowl is ETHERIAN, not ETERNIAN. They made that mistake with Double Trouble (Mischief).
    Last edited by Darkspecter; April 3, 2014 at 09:29pm.
    Take part in Illumina Day! Let people know who she is and help get her in MOTUC.

http://motuc-illumina.proboards.com/...cgi?board=talk

You can join the Illumina Facebook page here!

https://www.facebook.com/Illumina.Sleetah

Heroic Warrior Zodak's new shoes's Avatar
    I hope it is Snake Mountain, just to watch people flip out. lol
    Mattel needs to make an MOTU equivalent to Skylanders. It would create a new generation of MOTU fans.

Golems for 2016! AdultCollector's Avatar
    Any advice about how to get this chase figure? I can't be online refreshing the page 24/7. Any particular time frames or dates to watch for? Any way to get notifications when the figures appear?

Quote Originally Posted by AdultCollector View Post
    Any advice about how to get this chase figure? I can't be online refreshing the page 24/7. Any particular time frames or dates to watch for? Any way to get notifications when the figures appear?
    I believe there was a thread started. Subscribe and get alerts is probably the best way.

screw the chase idea.
    Recent....Unnamed One & Hydron
    Coming....
    Wanted....Entrapa, Double Trouble, Light Hope, Filmation Hordak & Clawful
    Considering....
    Needed....Dragstor

Oh man, did I forget to use these [sarcasm][/sarcasm] again? Sorry....

Check here for my My collection page, MOTU and more!

Quote Originally Posted by shadowfall1976 View Post
    screw the chase idea.
    Last year was fun and unexpected....this year...not so much.

Yeah... I don't have nothing else to but besides sitting in front of my laptop waiting for Kowl and Loo Kee to show up
    FS MOTU Vintage figures in Zoloworld cases and mini comics:

http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...oloworld-cases

Heroic Warrior
    Damned if you do, damned if you don't. If a recolored variant of Hordak would have shown up in the sub last year bloody hell would have been raised, and since it wasn't and sold as a chase figure bloody hell was raised. Even though this technique clearly worked to sell a complete repaint why wouldn't they do it again? It makes any potential buyer have a sense of urgency when the figure(s) show up or they may miss out. The only way to have this sales tactic stop is if the figure(s) don't sell, but there is demand and people aren't mad enough not to support the method of sale.

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Last year was fun and unexpected....this year...not so much.
    Which is ironic, since if anything, Loo-kee would be the more appropriate character to "pop up" like this - but...the whole thing is just about as "not fun" as I can imagine. I guess a few folks enjoy it - but, then again, some folks enjoy holding their hand over a lighter to see how long they can stand it. It takes all types. I do know that the multiple polls showed that overall, folks didn't like it - which backs up the hundreds and hundreds of comments I've read. I think what is irritating is that it's sold as "replicating the fun of toy hunting!" when the truth is, it does nothing of the sort - it replicates the worst, most annoying parts of it for most of us.

It is just one of those needless things about the line - just create characters we want, put them up for sale, and we will buy them. It really is that easy. If they need to come up with some gimmick like this to sell a Hordak variant because they don't think otherwise it would sell - well, that could be a big hint that maybe they didn't need to make him anyway. Particularly since there is another Hordak variant that people request over and over, and I think if you put up a poll that said would you rather have red-spirit Hordak or Filmation Hordak, I'm rather certain the latter would have won out.

Loo-Kee is the perfect candidate for this type of sale.

I enjoyed how Spirit of Hordak was offered last year and I think it's a cool idea to have Loo-Kee as part of this year's "flash" sale.

To me, it's fun. A toy line having a couple of figures that are initially hard to "find" is nothing new and people complaining about not being able to get them as soon as possible is also nothing new. By the end of the year, these figures will be easily obtained by anybody who wants them, just like Spirit of Hordak.
    "Oh Lord, Bless this M&M... and the mighty cockroach I slain in battle to get it." - Al Bundy

Court Magician
    I don't know who told Mattel that doing these chase figures was "fun", it's really annoying.

I could understand having a chase figure to increase visitors to MattyCollector if there was a reasonable amount of other stuff on there that people might stumble across (and buy) while looking for the chase figure. But MattyCollector is only set up for one sale per month and any extra visits are (most of the time) going to be a complete waste of time.

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bender Rodrguez View Post
    I don't know who told Mattel that doing these chase figures was "fun", it's really annoying.

The "Master Mind Of Mighty Spector" !!!!
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

LOOSE & INCOMPLETE UNNAMED ONE/GORPO FOR SALE !

Quote Originally Posted by He-Dad View Post
    Last year was fun and unexpected...
    About as much fun as a trip to the dentist.

If warehouse costs are such an issue how can these guys be kept on hand for 9 months just to throw up from time to time for "fun". Put em up for sale as an additional item one month, sell them through and get rid of them. Bang! No more storage costs.

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeevesosiris View Post
    I am sure it will be an effective way of increasing hits on matty collector
    And why does that even matter? There's a mere handful of stuff there except for the sales day, and Matty shipping is so high that it would actively discourage impulse buys. This would be a good marketing stunt for Mattel's main site because you could actually grab enough other stuff to go along with Lookee and Kowl and make it worthwhile.

This is a useless strategy on a site that basically just sells things once a month and loathes anything hanging on the site for more than a day. It's not going to sell a lot of extra product in the long run (the whole idea behind chases and exclusives), and thus only succeeds in making it even harder to collect the line, a brilliant idea for a line that is declining...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

I Love Filmation Variants TUC138's Avatar
    Will you ever read these feedbacks & change your strategy Spect.......... I mean Scott ?
    THE BIGGEST, BADDEST SUPPORTER OF VARIANTS IN MOTUC..... JUST BEHIND MGM THAT IS !!

LOOSE & INCOMPLETE UNNAMED ONE/GORPO FOR SALE !

+2 Against Harpies Sword2Blanket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by byinfernoslight View Post
    I could understand having a chase figure to increase visitors to MattyCollector if there was a reasonable amount of other stuff on there that people might stumble across (and buy) while looking for the chase figure. But MattyCollector is only set up for one sale per month and any extra visits are (most of the time) going to be a complete waste of time.
    Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    And why does that even matter? There's a mere handful of stuff there except for the sales day, and Matty shipping is so high that it would actively discourage impulse buys. This would be a good marketing stunt for Mattel's main site because you could actually grab enough other stuff to go along with Lookee and Kowl and make it worthwhile.

This is a useless strategy on a site that basically just sells things once a month and loathes anything hanging on the site for more than a day. It's not going to sell a lot of extra product in the long run (the whole idea behind chases and exclusives), and thus only succeeds in making it even harder to collect the line, a brilliant idea for a line that is declining...
    I completely agree with these sentiments.

I've always believed it was a completely ridiculous concept. It actually seems counterproductive to everyone involved in my mind. Well...maybe there'll be a brief window where it'll help secondary market sellers who are taking advantage of a false sense of scarcity. Not exactly the demongraphic I'm concerned about benefiting.

I swear it sometimes seems like Mattel actively works to deny itself sales opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Sword2Blanket View Post
    I completely agree with these sentiments.

I've always believed it was a completely ridiculous concept. It actually seems counterproductive to everyone involved in my mind. Well...maybe there'll be a brief window where it'll help secondary market sellers who are taking advantage of a false sense of scarcity. Not exactly the demongraphic I'm concerned about benefiting.

I swear it sometimes seems like Mattel actively works to deny itself sales opportunities.
    I dont see it really helping resellers either as I would hope people learned from Spirit of Hordak that you will get one at cost eventually and false scarcity is just that...the illusion that they are scarce. I don't see it these two pulling in $100 a package or causing too much panic.

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post

Oh I agree it seems a bit daft. I don't mind the chase aspect as much as others seem to, but it does seem to annoy everybody.

Scott has said previously though that he/Mattel are keen to develop a community on the boards over there and working for a company myself that has a similar website I know full well that execs see things like "internet hits" as a sign that the product is wanted. I don't think it is much of a jump to imagine some suit has seen hits are down and wants them up and likes this idea as a marketing tool. I agree it is dumb, but I can see why it may have been proposed.

Like Scott has said, he is going to grab every opportunity he can to out figures out there and I would rather there be a chase slot than not a chase slot if it means one less skew.
    The Lurkiest

**Scott please make me a Staghorn**