Thread: Possible EBAY fraud?

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar

Possible EBAY fraud?

So I'm selling some stuff on EBAY. The guy who used the BIN feature sent me a 'friendly' message, wishing me well and telling me that he is not going to resell my items. Then he stated that he wants me to ship to his US address as 'gift parcel'. To my understanding, if you ship an item as 'gift' it voids your seller protection, correct? Or does 'gift' just void your protection on Paypal payments when you pay for items?

Also, he said he is based in Afghanistan at a US military base and his daughter is picking up the items for him. It all reeks of a scam, but he does have 30+ of positives since 2006. I called EBAY and they told me to cancel and relist, and I did, but now my items are still listed as SOLD to him. So I guess I'm waiting for the credit....

I sent him a cancellation request, and he sent me a message saying my fraud accusations have deeply offended him, and that he is a legitimate buyer. I'm going to call EBAY again tomorrow and discuss it with them, but it seriously smells really funny.

Could I be wrong? Or is this just a clever scammer trying his luck to get me?

If it's going to a "U.S." address that good news and you don't have much to worry about as there's no such thing as sending payment or declaring it as a "gift" if the payment is through "ebay" and going to a U.S. address.

For U.S. addresses there's no customs paperwork so the "gift" thing is non existent. NOW....if he's using an APO address that's another story and may be that's what he's talking about, but you said a "U.S" address so I'm thinking a U.S. state or territory.

Heroic Warrior CapricornDefender's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Riddle of Steel View Post
    If it's going to a "U.S." address that good news and you don't have much to worry about as there's no such thing as sending payment or declaring it as a "gift" if the payment is through "ebay" and going to a U.S. address.

For U.S. addresses there's no customs paperwork so the "gift" thing is non existent. NOW....if he's using an APO address that's another story and may be that's what he's talking about, but you said a "U.S" address so I'm thinking a U.S. state or territory.
    Yes it is a PO Box.