Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Batman / Superman Movie Thread (Dawn of Justice)

You know, I'm honestly happy that Macaulay Culkin is getting work again.

Quote Originally Posted by Thatman View Post
    Maybe - Doomsday could just end up being some sort of generic monster-type creature for one fight scene. After all, there's got to be action sequences, and since Superman can't really smack Lex around, he's got to have someone else to fight besides Batman, I guess.
    Yeah. He's probably going to be Lex's muscle. He'll likely be the antagonist that brings all the heroes together in the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    As bad as that looks , I honest think the rest of the cast looks really good in Suicide Squad. I'm actually surprised at how much I'm looking forward to it. I still feel though that DC should have sprinkled in the various villains throughout the other DCCU first in small appearances and them brought them together for SS.

"Dark Superman"? PASS!!!

Let me put it this way
    I'll watch the Jem movie before I'll watch this one.
    Last edited by deltadod; May 24, 2015 at 02:03pm.
    Starchild's #1 fan!!

Of course that's all a storytelling choice. Superman had to kill Zod because the writers wanted Superman to have to kill Zod...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ornclown View Post
    And this is the main reason why an already poorly written movie became a non-Superman movie...
    Yes, it is a storytelling choice, and in my opinion a refreshing one. It’s not that Superman doesn’t kill…it’s that the writers typically save him from having to. But if we changed the rule to “Superman never has to kill!” then people might realize what a lame contrivance reliant cheat it really is. MOS is very much a Superman movie…just one where the story doesn’t stay in the box of tradition for tradition’s sake. Superman is my favorite character, and I’m so glad the writers of MOS weren’t afraid to put the characters through difficult choices in a world of consequences. It keeps the characters from getting stagnant.
    I also thought I’d chime in on some of the other things I’ve read in this thread…

• “Fun” is subjective. To date, one of the most fun experiences I ever had at the movies was the interrogation scene in The Dark Knight. I swear it was like my inner 8 year old that loves superheroes and villains was sitting next to my current self that loves dramas and we were both equally enthralled.

• I really wish we could put a moratorium on the phrase “Dark & Gritty”. Thus far, in their shared universe, WB/DC has approached their films as action dramas. Marvel/Disney takes the action comedy route (with the exception of Captain America: the Winter Soldier- my favorite of their output). That’s it. Neither approach is better than the other, and if one is going to claim that that putting superheroes in a drama means that the film makers are “embarrassed” by the source material (despite the fact that even comic book writers have put just about every superhero through dramatic, comedy-free story runs), then I would point out that having a penchant for jokey, winking at the audience dialogue, as most Marvel films have, could just as easily be seen as a sign of embarrassment toward the source material- and not a sign of “embracing superheroes” as several have claimed.

• On that note- I much prefer the director driven film making model that WB has thus far used. Marvel, on the other hand…the homogenization of those movies under their producer driven model is starting to wear thin for me. Marvel takes (few) commercial risks, but not artistic ones like WB has undertaken. Artistic vision at Marvel studios is kept on a very tight leash. I guess many fans don’t care about that though…as long as the comics feel sufficiently transliterated onto the screen, they’re happy. For me, as a comics fan, I like a lot of stuff from the books…but I also want to see a given director and writer’s vision of the character. Do something daring! Break tradition! Push the characters in new directions! Upset people if you have to! Safe and crowd pleasing is like soup without any spices.

• In regards to the BvS trailer- keep in mind that we’re seeing one aspect of the film: the events that lead to Batman confronting Superman. I’d be willing to bet that there are going to be significant portions of the movie that will be uplifting and optimistic. I mean, we have to know that eventually these two icons are going to shake hands and unite against the enemy, right?
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

Mark my words. This movie is going to suck big time.

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    Sadly, I can see this movie doing well, commercially, simply because of the names that are headlining it...

I just can't accept the blatant DKR references and visuals being thrown around in the trailer... there is NO WAY that this encounter can happen like it does in that great book. It works for DKR because of when it happens... in BvS it's gonna happen before the JLA is even developed???

Snyder's vision works well with Watchmen, 300, and especially his own baby: Sucker Punch - because those movies are supposed to be uber gritty and dark...

Now the dynamic duo of Nolan and Snyder are going to take Superman, SUPERMAN?!? down that same road?? Some roads are better left untraveled... but, it might not be all bad - maybe Batman and Superman will have a contest to see who can break the most necks before the end of the movie?

Just kidding....
    DESPERATELY need ThunderCats Minimates series one!!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

Sadly, I can see this movie doing well, commercially, simply because of the names that are headlining it...

Anyone who thinks this movie will be a bust at the box office is just plain wrong. With Batman in the title, that alone will compel people to see it. IMO that's the only reason WB went with a Batman/Superman movie instead of the MOS sequel that Snyder talked about before MOS even opened. The mixed reviews of MOS kind of forced WB's hand to include Batman. Let's face it, Batman = ticket sales.

Bad movies, not that I believe that it's a foregone conclusion that it will be bad, make tons of money all the time. Michael Bay's TF movies are proof of that.

Snyder's vision works well with Watchmen, 300, and especially his own baby: Sucker Punch - because those movies are supposed to be uber gritty and dark...
    What I found ironic about MOS is that despite liking 300 and LOVING Watchmen and even Sucker Punch....I couldn't stand MOS. I'm by far an anti-Synder guy, I just felt "Sydering" Superman was just plain ridiculous. If WB's does this for all the DCCU, I won't be a happy camper.

I just can't accept the blatant DKR references and visuals being thrown around in the trailer... there is NO WAY that this encounter can happen like it does in that great book. It works for DKR because of when it happens... in BvS it's gonna happen before the JLA is even developed???

Now the dynamic duo of Nolan and Snyder are going to take Superman, SUPERMAN?!? down that same road?? Some roads are better left untraveled... but, it might not be all bad - maybe Batman and Superman will have a contest to see who can break the most necks before the end of the movie?

Just kidding....
    I'm fairly certain that the DKR influence is mostly a visual one, and that the fight will not, nor was it ever intended to, go down like the fight in that story. That said, do we really need decades of history for these two characters to fight? In fact, doesn't it make sense for them to have a massive ideological misunderstanding before they really know each other? and based on that, couldn't we give the film makers the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe, including the events of MOS, that there is going to be a build up of reasons and circumstances portrayed in BvS that lead to this confrontation?

I mean, I even get that sense just from the teaser. and Superman has never been immune from having to go through "dark" circumstances. But we know that he and Batman are going to rise above it and shake hands. Despite a "dark" build up, in the end the story is going to be optimistic and hopeful.
    FILMATION
    PRESENTS
    .:*~*:Thank You, Lou Scheimer...and Good Journey:*~*:.
    ...For Every Destination is but a Doorway to Another...
    The Time Has Come for Crackers The Clown and Chef Allen in MOTUC!

http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/...e-squad-04.jpg
    I was thinking more along the lines of snooki's boyfriend. ugh. this is worse and worse....
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Bri-Man View Post
    IThat said, do we really need decades of history for these two characters to fight? In fact, doesn't it make sense for them to have a massive ideological misunderstanding before they really know each other? and based on that, couldn't we give the film makers the benefit of the doubt and think that maybe, including the events of MOS, that there is going to be a build up of reasons and circumstances portrayed in BvS that lead to this confrontation?
    Absolutely. But even that is the absolutely laziest and most cliche of all 'team-ups".

Heroic Warrior
    I wish they'd hurry up and make a "He-Man Vs. Skeletor" movie. That would be nice.

Clown Prince of Darkness Benedict Judas Hel's Avatar
    The Ninth Level of Hell plotting my slow and painful revenge on the brightly sunlit world...
    Quote Originally Posted by snake_mole_hill View Post
    I wish they'd hurry up and make a "He-Man Vs. Skeletor" movie. That would be nice.

"Wheresoever on earth he dwells, man is prey to two weaknesses: the need to pray and the need to love."-Marquis de Sade

"It is not by reasoning or by our understanding that we have received our religion; it is by external authority and command."-Michel De Montaigne

Heretical Vintage Purist and Non-Fan Extraordinaire!

Heroic Warrior
    on point as usual!

Advocating for a New Adventures Mini-Sub!
    Absolutely. But even that is the absolutely laziest and most cliche of all 'team-ups".
    Agreed.

L - O - friggin' L!!
    DESPERATELY need ThunderCats Minimates series one!!!

**Staunch FILMation lover!!! **** MUST have a New Adventures Subscription!!!**
    MOTUC NEEDS more TROLLANS !!!

grumpy old dragon scott metzger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonehead View Post
    What I found ironic about MOS is that despite liking 300 and LOVING Watchmen and even Sucker Punch....I couldn't stand MOS. I'm by far an anti-Synder guy, I just felt "Sydering" Superman was just plain ridiculous. If WB's does this for all the DCCU, I won't be a happy camper.
    Watchmen was one of the most faithful re-tellings of a comic book tale ever put on film; I thought Snyder did an excellent job with it. It's just that that grim and gritty style does not mix well with a property like Superman. I'd like to be excited about this film, but I've honestly got higher hopes for Ant Man...
    "I will use this power for all the good that can be done, to work for peace, to encourage virtue, and above all, to preserve life in all its forms..." Superman

Quote Originally Posted by scott metzger View Post
    ...but I've honestly got higher hopes for Ant Man...
    Because Ant Man looks fun!

And because it embraces its comic book roots instead of being embarrassed by them.

I was looking through Snyders' work, he seems to do best with stories that are adaptations of already gritty work. He did Legends of the Guardians which was OK which is the exception. Dawn of the Dead, was a remake, 300 and Watchmen adaptations. Man of Steel I wouldn't say is an adaptation as it's mostly a fresh story. Sucker Punch was visually appealing but content thought it was deeper than it actually was.

I know that Batman has taken over as the more popular of the two characters, but Superman seems to be losing more ground because they keep trying to reimagine him. In fact the most acclaimed recent Superman story was All-star Superman which was anything but a reimagining of the character but one that truly embraced what the character stood for.
    One Gum Drop to rule them all, One Gum Drop to find them,
    One Gum Drop to bring them all and in the sweetness bind them
    In the Land of Candy where the Gingerbreads lie.
    -Tag line for the Candy Land Movie Adaptation

There are sentences I should just stay a way from. - The Doctor

Rob Liefeld isn't a comic artist, he's a women's clothing designer. Think about it

And because it embraces its comic book roots instead of being embarrassed by them.
    agreed. I know absolutely NOTHING about Ant Man and most marvel properties, yet every movie done by marvel I think 'that looks good!' or at least fun. Not so much with DC...and I'm a DC guy.
    Geek Media -
    http://www.youtube.com/NTV1978

Geek Media Abridged - Packing Protons
    http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Quote Originally Posted by Skeledor View Post
    even if it does, it still will make a lot of cash. but i'm crossing my fingers it wont suk. i just want snyder out of justice league for sure, good or bad film for BvS, i still want him out. get another director for crying out loud.

IMO that's the only reason WB went with a Batman/Superman movie instead of the MOS sequel that Snyder talked about before MOS even opened. The mixed reviews of MOS kind of forced WB's hand to include Batman. Let's face it, Batman = ticket sales.
    actually, BvS was already planned a decade back but the failed and very boring superman returns had it canned after that Supes really SUCKED. even though snyder mentioned MOS 2, that doesnt mean that was the plan. we all have to say something to the press, then surprise fans with something else. the easter eggs in MOS said a lot for BvS. so imo, bvs was really the next movie after MOS.

i also like 300, havent see the other 2, but i do agree on the snydering for MOS and even BVS first trailer.

well as of now, snyder is still directing JL, more snydering to come imo
    Don't hate me cause ... (I'm Da Man)!

Carlo Hooks you up thread, just click HERE!

Heroic Master of 200X MegaGearMax's Avatar

The public TRUSTS Marvel Studios because they give us a consistently good time at the movies. These are the same guys who brought us Guardians of the Galaxy, virtually unknown to the general public -- and it was the hit of the summer! People didn't know who the characters were, but they trusted the folks who made the movie.

Warner Bros' current run of movies hasn't earned that level of trust yet. Man of Steel still generates mixed reactions, instead of universally good reactions.

The Blonde Teela Thread
    The Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn Thread

Sagitar (Jetlag) • Horde Wraiths • Azdar • Belzar • Chazdar • Cloak and Dagger Evil-Lyn • 200X Teenage Prince Adam • 200X Teenage Teela • 200X Sorceress • General Rattlor (MYP) • 200X King Randor and Queen Marlena • 200X Battle Armor King Randor and Battle Armor Queen Marlena • Ice Armor He-Man • WMD Roboto

And yet here we are, 18 pages in for a movie that "stinks" because it is "too gritty" and by all accounts will be "a disaster" leading to critical bashing by the "experts". Not to mention it's still a year away from being released. The Age of Ultron and Ant Man threads could use the same attention ya know
    Looking for 200x figures MOC: Stratos Claw Attack. Send PM with offers.

Great Traders: Bobubott, bigassbuzz, umbloo, vancak, CRAZYMOTUFAN, CringerMyBestFriend, Amberbratt, JustariusX, Zodak74, Shadowsnake, SirBushnell, air23cnhit, skeletorsambora, Daviono1080, Brett, aschoenbart.

Check out www.hyveofvillainy.com

What are we classing as Snydering? Because I thought 300, Watchmen, Sucker Punch and Man Of Steel were all ace!