Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Batman / Superman Movie Thread (Dawn of Justice)

Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    ANYONE could have followed Heath Ledgers joker. Terribly boring iteration of that character IMHO. and if he hadn't died, would people have cared about it so much? Joker done right for it's time is Cesar Romero, and Mark Hamil...
    I'm actually with you here, Shredder, even though I know it's a minority opinion. I wasn't impressed with Ledger's performance as the Joker. I had heard about how "awesome" it was prior to seeing the movie, so maybe I had too much built-up in my mind. However, his little lip lick and other things did nothing for me. I remember friends of mine doing the lip thing after because they thought it was cool. I thought it was just cheap acting.

Jack Nicholson was a MUCH better Joker IMO, but even still, NO ONE can replace Mark Hamill who is the absolutely DEFINITIVE Joker.
    RIP Andy Conrad.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Heath's Joker was awful. Jack's was far superior, and Hamill's is the best.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

It is not where I am that matters, it is when
    Quote Originally Posted by Shredder View Post
    Why does darker always make people think it's cooler? sigh.
    Because when I think of Joker, I think of Joker's Five Way Revenge, The Long Halloween, Death in the Family, The Killing Joke, The Dark Knight Returns, and The Laughing Fish.

I do NOT think of Joker as that awful Romero and 60s dumbed down garbage.

Anyway, the main issue is, we know who Ben Affleck is. When we see him playing Wayne or Batman, we still see Affleck. The reason Keaton and Bale worked was because they were relatively unknown when they first played the character. As such, we did not see other people or the actors themselves in place of the character. We saw the character.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blue View Post
    Jack Nicholson was a MUCH better Joker IMO, but even still, NO ONE can replace Mark Hamill who is the absolutely DEFINITIVE Joker.
    Sorry, but I don't see Joker. First, he is too old for Joker. Secondly, I see Jack Nicholson playing Jack Nicholson cosplaying as Joker.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

Evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

Leader of the Autobots Optimus Prime's Avatar
    Homeworld: Cybertron. the great Autobot city of Iacon
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Kain View Post
    B
    Anyway, the main issue is, we know who Ben Affleck is. When we see him playing Wayne or Batman, we still see Affleck. The reason Keaton and Bale worked was because they were relatively unknown when they first played the character. As such, we did not see other people or the actors themselves in place of the character. We saw the character.
    Unknown? Hardly. Keaton had done 11 films prior to Batman, Night Shift, Mr. Mom, Gung Ho, and of course Beetlejuice being the best of the bunch. And Bale had 26 films under his belt, with Empire of the Sun my personal favorite of his.

As for age, I've never thought of the Joker as being a particularly young man in any of his comic appearances. I've always perceived him as being the same age or a bit older than Batman. Ledger played a good psychopath, but he was never the Joker, especially when you compare him to the "The Killing Joke," or "Death in the Family." Both Jokers seen in the pages are completely insane, but they were funny and you couldn't help but laugh at the humor he espouses, even as you're horrified by the atrocities he commits. Ledger was never funny in his film.
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings, but freedom isn't free."
    http://www.myspace.com/tkd_trevor

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Ledger played a good psychopath, but he was never the Joker, especially when you compare him to the "The Killing Joke," or "Death in the Family." Both Jokers seen in the pages are completely insane, but they were funny and you couldn't help but laugh at the humor he espouses, even as you're horrified by the atrocities he commits. Ledger was never funny in his film.
    That's my take as well. I thought he was very good in the role - and he fit into Nolan's universe, but there was very little "Joker" to the character outside of his coloring.

Quote Originally Posted by Optimus Prime View Post
    Unknown? Hardly. Keaton had done 11 films prior to Batman, Night Shift, Mr. Mom, Gung Ho, and of course Beetlejuice being the best of the bunch. And Bale had 26 films under his belt, with Empire of the Sun my personal favorite of his.
    You know when I heard of Bale? When he was casted as Batman. After I saw that, I came across Equilibrium and watched it, loved it. No one I know ever heard of Bale until he was casted as Batman.

As for Keaton, to be fair, I was 7 at the time the movie came out, but none of those movies were big movies from my understanding.

As for age, I've never thought of the Joker as being a particularly young man in any of his comic appearances. I've always perceived him as being the same age or a bit older than Batman. Ledger played a good psychopath, but he was never the Joker, especially when you compare him to the "The Killing Joke," or "Death in the Family." Both Jokers seen in the pages are completely insane, but they were funny and you couldn't help but laugh at the humor he espouses, even as you're horrified by the atrocities he commits. Ledger was never funny in his film.
    Joker is supposed to be 32.

And Ledger was hysterical. The magic pencil, the killing off his men in the bank, "Let's not blow this out of proportion," "Poor choice of words," everything with him in the nurse's outfit in the hospital, especially when he was hitting the bomb controller, etc. Those were all fantastic scenes.
    Can someone PM me the US number for Matty? I want to talk to someone who might has a clue of what is going on.

I would have been 13 at the time Batman came out. I remember it was fairly controversal at the time that Mr. Mom was going to play Bruce Wayne/Batman. He doesn't really look the part, but I thought Keaton did a great job.

You know when I heard of Bale? When he was casted as Batman. After I saw that, I came across Equilibrium and watched it, loved it. No one I know ever heard of Bale until he was casted as Batman.

As for Keaton, to be fair, I was 7 at the time the movie came out, but none of those movies were big movies from my understanding.
    Bale and Keaton were both very big names when they were cast as Batman.

Keaton had been in a number of tremendously popular movies and Bale had been in a number of very acclaimed ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Firefly View Post
    I would have been 13 at the time Batman came out. I remember it was fairly controversal at the time that Mr. Mom was going to play Bruce Wayne/Batman. He doesn't really look the part, but I thought Keaton did a great job.
    It was a HUGE controversy when Keaton was cast as Batman. In the 80's, Michael Keaton was only known for his comedic performances. He wasn't seen as a serious actor at all. One could almost argue that Keaton was a huge factor in Hollywood easing up on typecasting comedians and not allowing them to pursue more serious roles (Tom Hanks soon followed). Its certainly not such a surprise when we see comedians cast in serious roles today (Will Smith, Tom Hanks, and Adam Sandler are the ones that come to mind).

Keaton was VERY well known. Beetlejuice and Mr. Mom were huge successes, especially in the rental video business. To this day I still think Keaton is the best Batman, even though Nolan's films are a little closer to the Frank Miller source material.

I'll reserve judgment on Affleck until after the movie. But if he cries in this movie, I will punch him in the ****.

Joker is supposed to be 32.
    Where does it say that? Link please
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Bale wasn't a big name. He was Patrick Batemen for anyone who was a big fan of American Psycho a few years before.

Quote Originally Posted by SCB View Post
    Bale wasn't a big name. He was Patrick Batemen for anyone who was a big fan of American Psycho a few years before.
    All pre-Batman:

The 10th Anniversary issue of "Entertainment Weekly" crowned Christian Bale as one of the "Top 8 Most Powerful Cult Figures" of the past decade, citing his incredible and legendary cult status on the Internet. EW also calls Bale one of the "Most Creative People in Entertainment" after his brilliant turn as the psychopathic yuppie serial killer in American Psycho (2000). And "Premiere" lauded him as one of the "Hottest Leading Men Under 30". Christian Bale has garnered a huge international audience ever since he wowed critics with his devastating performance in Steven Spielberg's WWII epic Empire of the Sun (1987).

Bale wasn't a big name, but he was certainly in the news before Batman Begins due to his incredible performance and weight loss for The Machinist.

Edit: Just saw the quote form BCI Guy. Bale was known maybe by a small percentage hence the "Top 8 Most Powerful CULT Figures", but I think if you compared Keaton's popularity pre-Batman vs. Christian Bale's indy/cult popularity pre-Batman, one could argue Bale wasn't a "Big Name".
    Last edited by FutureRetro; August 24, 2013 at 08:53pm.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    Bale wasn't a big name, but he was certainly in the news before Batman Begins due to his incredible performance and weight loss for The Machinist.

Edit: Just saw the quote form BCI Guy. Bale was known maybe by a small percentage hence the "Top 8 Most Powerful CULT Figures", but I think if you compared Keaton's popularity pre-Batman vs. Christian Bale's indy/cult popularity pre-Batman, one could argue Bale wasn't a "Big Name".
    Bale wasn't making huge summer blockbusters, but he was making movies that got noticed. And the Cult quote was 5 years before Batman. He did a lot of bigger movies between 2000 and 2005.

There is no doubt that Keaton was a much bigger name, but Bale was hardly an unknown when cast as Batman.

That's exactly what he was, a cult figure. Bale was one of those actors who avoided blockbusters and simply did it for the art.

A lot of people did exactly what Dr. Kain did after Bale was announced, find a copy of Equilibrium. Most people realized Bale had the acting chops, good looks for Bruce Wayne, and the broodishness of Batman to pull it off.

That's exactly what he was, a cult figure. Bale was one of those actors who avoided blockbusters and simply did it for the art.
    After that issue of EW, he did Shaft, Equilibrium and Reign of Fire...

Those were not blockbusters. I don't think anyone knows he was in Shaft, other than Bale.

Those were not blockbusters. I don't think anyone knows he was in Shaft, other than Bale.
    They were all "wannabe blockbusters" that failed. None of them were done "for art".

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    They were all "wannabe blockbusters" that failed. None of them were done "for art".
    The majority of Bale's films pre-Batman were independent and art house films. I'd love to be able to find an existing list of the film's budgets, but I don't think they were "wannabe blockbusters". I think most of them were just pushed through the festival circuit and did not get a huge film release.

Quote Originally Posted by FutureRetro View Post
    The majority of Bale's films pre-Batman were independent and art house films. I'd love to be able to find an existing list of the film's budgets, but I don't think they were "wannabe blockbusters". I think most of them were just pushed through the festival circuit and did not get a huge film release.
    Yes, he did lots of those, but he spent most of the 5 years prior to being in Batman in being in wide-release films with big budgets and big expectations.

Reign of Fire (2002): 60M
    Captain Corelli's Mandolin (2001): 57M
    Shaft (2000): 46M
    Equillibrium (2002): 20M

We just won't agree on this I'm afraid. Its kind of hard to prove his popularity or lack there of before Batman. This guy gives it a shot...

15 Actors Who Broke Out In Big Budget Films
    http://wegotthiscovered.com/movies/1...udget-films/8/

I've copied and pasted it here for ease -

Some of you might totally hate me for including Bale on this list. That’s alright, though — I’m right about this, and I’m going to prove it to you. You see, Christian Bale has been in the business for a LONG time. When he was just a kid, he starred in Steven Spielberg’s Empire of the Sun. The film was critically and commercially well-received, but it was eventually forgotten by audiences and critics alike. It was somehow a lesser film than Spielberg’s previous works, and Bale’s performance hadn’t been the most memorable one. In fact, it was rather annoying.

Nevertheless, the British actor didn’t quit acting. He polished and improved his skills, and subsequently delivered critically acclaimed performances in American Psycho and The Machinist. But still, he waited for that big break, that one chance to demonstrate his talent. Christopher Nolan gave him that chance when he cast him as The Caped Crusader in Batman Begins, and Bale’s career completely changed.

He’d been in a couple of big-budget films before, but I wouldn’t consider, say, Reign of Fire the one responsible for his following success. Just take a look at the roles he got after Batman Begins, if you don’t believe me — he starred in Terminator Salvation and Public Enemies, among other movies. True, they might not be the best films in the world, but they’re at least high-profile ones. Besides, he won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor for his role in David O. Russell’s The Fighter, so that’s something.

Edit: I want to add that I'm not saying he wasn't known - I just don't think he was BIG. You knew who he was before Batman and I knew who he was before Batman - but the general population outside of maybe the 18-59 demographic didn't know who he was or if they recognized him, they certainly didn't know him by name and certainly not to the extent of Keaton, Clooney or Kilmer.
    Last edited by FutureRetro; August 24, 2013 at 10:09pm.

Quote Originally Posted by BCI Guy View Post
    After that issue of EW, he did Shaft, Equilibrium and Reign of Fire...
    Reign of Fire was AWESOME and just makes me think of how many ways you can link Bale / Batman to Dracula (aside from them both having a bat motif going on)

for example

Bale's first starring major role was in Empire of the Sun which also had John Malkovich in it, who would later play the part of Friedrich Wilhelm Murnau in the movie "Shadow of the Vampire" which was about the making (with liberties) of "Nosferatu" which was an illegal adaption of Dracula.

Bale starred in Reign of Fire with Gerard Butler who played Dracula in Dracula 2000. Gerard Butler of course starred in Phantom of the Opera which also starred Miranda Richardson who was also in the aforementioned "Empire of the Sun"

Reign of Fire is about Dragons and Dracula means "Son of the Dragon"

Bale also starred in the Prestige with Hugh Jackman who played Van Helsing in the movie of the same name in which the main villain was...Dracula. This Dracula being played by Richard Roxburgh who was in "The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen" alongside the character of Mina Harker who was a character from...Dracula. Also Hugh Jackman played Wolverine in the X-Men movies with Senator Kelly being portrayed by Bruce Davison who in the film "The Librarian: Curse of the Judas Chalice" played...Dracula

Before that he starred in the previously mentioned Equilibrium which had a cameo appearance by Dominic Purcell who in the movie Blade Trinity played...Dracula (or Drake as he liked to call himself in that)

and most noticeably of all is his Batman co star Gary Oldman (Jim Gordon) who famously played the role of Dracula in 1992's "Bram Stoker's Dracula". A film which also starred Winona Ryder who was in Beetlejuice with Michael Keaton who also played Batman.

Oh and lets not forget Joe Pantoliano. An actor who was also in Empire of the Sun (mentioned earlier). He would later star, with Keanu Reeves, in the Matrix. Mr Reeves also happened to star in the movie "Bram Stoker's Dracula" alongside Gary Oldman

as for Batman

well he has met Dracula in the Andy Warhol film "Batman Dracula"

as well as the 1967 lost film "Batman Fights Dracula"

The comic "Batman & Dracula: Red Rain"

and the animated film "The Batman vs Dracula"

Oh and for some added fun. In American Psycho his character was called "Patrick Bateman" ...well remove the E and what do you get?

why do I bring all of this up?....why not?
    Last edited by wolfsfang; August 25, 2013 at 09:41pm.
    Take a look at my attempts at coloring

and if you get the chance

Check out my Deviant Art Gallery

Nobody is arguing that Batman wasn't Bale's highest profile role. Or that more people became aware of him by being in the some of the highest grossing movies ever. Or that he's gotten more high profile roles since.

This all started with the statement "The reason Keaton and Bale worked was because they were relatively unknown when they first played the character" which just isn't true. Both were well established actors with significant movies on their resumes.

I still disagree there. You aren't established unless everyone has heard of you, and since no one I knew knew he was, that isn't exactly established.

Nevertheless, Affleck is a terrible casting decision. Next, they'll cast Ben Stiller to be Barry Allen and Wanda Sykes to be Vixen. The other thing is, I don't think Snyder has the talent to actually make me see Batman or Bruce when I see Affleck on screen as it is going to take a lot of work.

Bale was better known when he became Batman than Hugh Jackman, Andrew Garfield, Henry Cavill, Daniel Craig, Brandon Routh, or even Tobey Maguire all were when they got their big breaks. Jeez, there were online Bale Heads back in the 90s. Not on comic book fans' radars? Sure, but not unknown.

Speaking of, Affleck wishes he wasn't on comic book fans' radars since Daredevil and Elektra are mainly what put him there.
    Be sure to read Book of Evil Part 2: The Bells of Doom, only in the He-Man.org Fan Fic & Media forums!
    http://www.he-man.org/forums/boards/...06#post3094406